Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Horizon: An American Saga (2024, D: Costner) S: Costner

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-28-22, 12:07 PM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Kevin Costner is set to get back behind the camera for the first time since 2003’s critically acclaimed Open Range. Costner will direct the period Western Horizon, setting an August 29 production start in Utah. Costner will star in the film, produce it and finance it through his Territory Pictures production company.

While he has been busy starring for the past few years in the hit series Yellowstone, Horizon has been a longtime passion project for Costner, and one that has the sweep of his 1990 epic Dances With Wolves, the film that won Best Picture and Best Director Oscars for Costner among seven wins out of a dozen Oscar nominations.

Horizon chronicles a multi-faceted, 15-year span of pre-and post-Civil War expansion and settlement of the American west. “America’s expansion into the west was one that was fraught with peril and intrigue from the natural elements, to the interactions with the indigenous peoples who lived on the land, and the determination and at many times ruthlessness of those who sought to settle it,” Costner told Deadline. “Horizon tells the story of that journey in an honest and forthcoming way, highlighting the points of view and consequences of the characters life and death decisions.”

Casting for the expansive film will begin in February.
https://deadline.com/2022/01/kevin-c...te-1234921230/
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (01-29-22)
Old 01-28-22, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
re: Horizon: An American Saga (2024, D: Costner) S: Costner

Awesome! Open Range is a masterpiece.

Costner does two things very well: Baseball movies and Westerns.
Boondock Saint (01-29-22)
Old 01-28-22, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

True. As long as he stays away from dystopian future films, he's really good.
Hubbub (08-12-22)
Old 01-28-22, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Soooo....1883?

I mean of course I will watch.
Old 01-28-22, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Awesome! Open Range is a masterpiece.

Costner does two things very well: Baseball movies and Westerns.
Open Range is one of the more underrated movies ever. It is fantastic.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnnysd:
Boondock Saint (01-29-22), JeremyM (04-18-22)
Old 01-28-22, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I'm not as crazy about Open Range as many are (the absolute lack of an antagonist until the final 20 minutes is a tactical oopsie) but his work is of overall good quality and I love Costner's commitment to the genre.
Old 01-28-22, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm not as crazy about Open Range as many are (the absolute lack of an antagonist until the final 20 minutes is a tactical oopsie) but his work is of overall good quality and I love Costner's commitment to the genre.
Not sure I agree with that assessment. It was clear from the beginning that Baxter was the bad guy, I mean, the conversation at the jail when picking up Mose, the posse sent to scatter the herd, killing Mose, seems like his presence was felt even without him (Baxter) acting directly.

Anyway, really excited by this news. Baseball was around in this era, maybe he can combine his best genres somehow!!
JeremyM (01-28-22)
Old 01-29-22, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 397 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
True. As long as he stays away from dystopian future films, he's really good.
I like The Postman and Waterworld, but I do prefer him in a Western (The Postman kinda is one). Costner should direct more often.
Old 04-18-22, 02:16 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and New Line have joined Horizon, the epic period Western that Kevin Costner is directing, starring in and producing through his Territory Pictures.

Costner co-wrote the script with Jon Baird. They first worked together when they co-wrote the 2015 bestselling novel The Explorers Guild.

Horizon will put the Yellowstone star back behind the camera for the first time since 2003’s acclaimed Open Range. Horizon has been a longtime passion project for Costner, and one that has the sweep of his 1990 epic Dances with Wolves, the film that won Best Picture and Best Director Oscars for Costner among seven wins out of a dozen nominations.

Horizon chronicles a multi-faceted, 15-year span of pre- and post-Civil War expansion and settlement of the American West. Experienced through the eyes of many, the epic journey is fraught with peril and intrigue from the constant onslaught of natural elements to the interactions with the Indigenous peoples who lived on the land and the determination and at many times ruthlessness of those who sought to settle it.

The deal puts Costner back in the Warner Bros fold. The studio was for years his home base. Horizon is eyeing a late-summer start.

Costner stars in and executive produces Paramount Network’s hit drama Yellowstone, the No. 1 series across broadcast, cable and premium and also the most successful TV franchise across both physical and digital transactional media in 2021. The Emmy-nominated show’s fourth-season finale broke audience records on cable television with more than 15 million total viewers and was recently renewed for a fifth season. Before that, Costner won an Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG Award for his performance in the History Channel’s miniseries Hatfields and McCoys: An American Vendetta, which he also produced.

Warner Bros Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich said the studio sparked to the chance to “partner with Kevin on his long-awaited return to directing with this epic Western at Warner Bros and New Line. Kevin’s ambitious vision for this story is the perfect crystallization of his affinity for the American West and passion to bring this turning point in its history to life with all the human drama, cultural complexity and immense scope that it merits.”

WME-repped Costner said he was “thrilled to once again re-team with Toby Emmerich and the team at Warner Bros and New Line to bring the expansive story of Horizon, and America’s settlement of the West and all of the aspects that it entailed, to audiences.”
https://deadline.com/2022/04/kevin-c...ne-1235004901/
Old 04-18-22, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

First time hearing of Territory Pictures... I thought his company was TIG.
Old 04-18-22, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
First time hearing of Territory Pictures... I thought his company was TIG.
Not for over a decade. I think it goes by another name, not sure if he is involved. Territory was formed two years and produced that ABC show he dropped out of.
Old 06-21-22, 01:27 PM

Kevin Costner Wants to Split His Western Epic ‘Horizon’ Into Four Movies (EXCLUSIVE)

Kevin Costner has big plans for his long-awaited fourth directorial effort “Horizon,” an epic western that’s going into production at the end of August.

The “Yellowstone” star told Variety that the project, which is housed with Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema, is being planned as “four different movies” and that “about every three months, they’ll come out.”

“They’re all different films that all connect, so you’re watching a saga of these storylines that are happening,” said the actor, who was in London doing press for the U.K. launch of Paramount+.

Costner said the film is currently casting and “trying to fill up” 170 speaking roles.

Announced back in April, “Horizon” is Costner’s first directorial project since western “Open Range” in 2003. His two other films were “The Post Man” (1997), in which he starred as a drifter who dons a postman uniform to explore America, and the American Civil War-era classic “Dances With Wolves” (1990), which earned Costner the best director prize at the 1991 Oscars, along with six other Academy Awards.

Produced by Costner’s Territory Pictures outfit, “Horizon” will span 15 years in the settlement of America’s Western frontier, and focus on both the settlers as well as the Indigenous groups that first occupied the land.

“It’s a really beautiful story; it’s a hard story,” Costner told Variety. “It really involves a lot of women, to be honest. There are a lot of men in it, too, but the women are really strong in ‘Horizon.’ It’s just them trying to get by every day in a world that was impossibly tough. They were often [dragged] out to these places because that’s where the men wanted to go; women were following their men. They didn’t ask to be in these territories that were unsettled and dangerous, and life wasn’t easy. I’ve chosen to make sure that was really obvious, that that wasn’t easy, and how vulnerable people were.”

Asked whether the film’s four-part configuration may lend “Horizon” to a streaming play, Costner said the project was sold as an “event television movie” but that “what [the studio does] with it will really be up to them because things change really quickly in how people want to see things and what they want to do.

“I’m happiest because at one point in TV — where you can get your largest audience — they’re going to get to see it the way I intended it to be seen. It will eventually be cut up into [hour-long episodes] or 42 minutes — however TV works. But their first viewing of it will be as four 2 hour and 45-minute movies. And every three months, one will come out. If you’re interested in those characters, the hope is that you’ll really want to watch the next one, but it won’t be in hour segments.”

“Horizon” currently has a shooting schedule of 220 days. While the first film will shoot this fall, the next three will be lensed from April 2023 with the trio of titles shooting “at the same time.”

“So, I’ll probably shoot for eight months,” said Costner. “It’s a mountain — a mountain of time.”

“I’m as pressed as I’ve ever been in my life in terms of the responsibilities and the amount of decisions I’m having to make every day, between doing what I’m doing every day for ‘Yellowstone’ and my own [work]. There’s a lot of people standing behind me waiting for me to make decisions and things like that.”
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/k...es-1235299756/
Old 06-21-22, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why they don't do that on a regular basis. Something like Tom Selleck's Jesse Stone or Columbo back in the day. Four Costner movies sound great to me.
Old 08-12-22, 02:02 PM

Old 10-17-22, 05:33 PM

Will Patton Reteams With Kevin Costner For Filmmaker’s Western Saga ‘Horizon’

The Halloween franchise actor is reuniting with Kevin Costner for the fourth time after No Way Out, The Postman, and the Paramount+ series Yellowstone for the 2x Oscar winner’s New Line’s Civil War epic Horizon.

Will Patton boards alongside previously announced Sienna Miller, Sam Worthington, Jamie Campbell Bower, Jena Malone, Alejandro Edda, Tatanka Means, Michael Rooker, Isabelle Fuhrman, Ella Hunt, Luke Wilson, Thomas Haden Church, Tom Payne, Abbey Lee, Wasé Chief, Tim Guinee, Michael Angarano, Colin Cunningham, Scott Haze, Angus Macfadyen, Douglas Smith and Jon Beavers. This weekend Patton had a No. 1 movie alongside Jamie Lee Curtis in Universal/Blumhouse/Miramax’s Halloween Ends which debuted to $58.4M worldwide and was also the most watched piece of programming ever in a two-day period on Uni streaming service Peacock. Patton previously starred in the horror franchise previous pics, Halloween and Halloween Kills.
https://deadline.com/2022/10/kevin-c...ds-1235146975/
Old 05-04-23, 08:28 AM

Not all bad news for Costner...

He already completed the first and is on to the second part of his four film project.

EXCLUSIVE: Oscar-winning filmmaker Kevin Costner (Dances with Wolves) has rolled cameras on the second installment of Horizon: An American Saga, announcing the addition of Glynn Turman (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom), Kathleen Quinlan (Apollo 13) and Giovanni Ribisi (Avatar: The Way of Water) to the cast of his Civil War Western epic for Warner Bros and New Line.

The second chapter of the multi-faceted chronicle, spanning 15 years of pre- and post-Civil War expansion and settlement of the American West, will also see the onscreen return of Costner, Sienna Miller, Sam Worthington, Ella Hunt, Will Patton, Luke Wilson, Isabelle Fuhrman and Thomas Haden Church.

In the great tradition of classic Westerns, the second film will continue to explore the lure of the old West and will take audiences on a treacherous journey across a country at war with itself, experienced through the lens of families, friends and foes all attempting to discover what it truly means to be the United States of America.

Deadline was first to report on Horizon: An American Saga, which marks Costner’s first project behind the camera since 2003’s Open Range. The project has seen him reengage with a setting he’d memorably mined with his 1990 directorial debut Dances with Wolves, which grossed over $424M worldwide and won seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Director.

A New Line Cinema presentation of a Territory Pictures production, the Horizon: An American Saga films will be distributed in the U.S. by Warner Bros. Pictures. Costner wrote the script with Jon Baird (The Explorers Guild) and is producing through his Territory Pictures. Re-joining him for the second installment are director of photography J. Michael Muro (Billionaire Boys Club, Parker), production designer Derek R. Hill (Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, The Magnificent Seven), editor Miklos Wright (For All Mankind, Open Range) and costume designer Lisa Lovaas (Ambulance, Transformers: The Last Knight).

Turman is an Emmy winner and two-time nominee who has most recently been seen in films like 80 for Brady and George C. Wolfe’s Oscar winner Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, and on such series as Queen Sugar, Women of the Movement and Fargo. Other upcoming projects for the in-demand actor include Apple’s Huey P. Newton limited series The Big Cigar, Hulu’s drama series Black Cake, Disney+’s series Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Netflix’s Wolfe-directed drama Rustin starring Colman Domingo as gay civil rights activist Bayard Rustin. Turman also recently landed a guest star role in the pilot for CBS’s comedy JumpStart.

Perhaps best known for her Oscar- and Golden Globe-nominated turn in Ron Howard’s Apollo 13, Quinlan has also been seen in films including Horns, Made of Honor, The Hills Have Eyes and The Doors, to name a few. Notable TV credits include Chicago Fire, Prison Break and Family Law.

An Emmy nominee who can currently be seen starring in Showtime’s Waco: The Aftermath, Ribisi also recently played a villain role in James Cameron’s blockbuster Avatar: The Way of Water, which is now the third highest-grossing film of all time. Other recent film credits for the actor include The Bad Batch, the Ted comedies, Meadowland and Selma. Additional major TV credits include Paramount+’s The Offer, Prime Video’s Sneaky Pete and Fox’s Dads.

Turman is represented by The Rosenzweig Group and Innovative Artists; Quinlan by Bobblehead Entertainment; and Ribisi by Linden Entertainment, CAA and Hansen, Jacobson, Teller.
https://deadline.com/2023/04/horizon...nt-1235340101/
Old 05-05-23, 05:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

I better finish both Horizon games in case this has spoilers.
Old 05-07-23, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I better finish both Horizon games in case this has spoilers.
It'll be a big controversy when Costner, an old white guy, is playing the female lead.
Old 05-07-23, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I just don't understand the timing Costner and the studio chose to film this movie. They chose to film it right in the middle of season 5 of Yellowstone that he was already contractually obligated to work on. Why couldn't this have been filmed after Yellowstone's 5th season wrapped? It's disrupted the show, there is a rift between him and Sheridan and the network and studio was basically forced to end it. And there seems to be no definitive date when Costner will even return to film those final 6 episodes.
Old 05-07-23, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just don't understand the timing Costner and the studio chose to film this movie. They chose to film it right in the middle of season 5 of Yellowstone that he was already contractually obligated to work on. Why couldn't this have been filmed after Yellowstone's 5th season wrapped? It's disrupted the show, there is a rift between him and Sheridan and the network and studio was basically forced to end it. And there seems to be no definitive date when Costner will even return to film those final 6 episodes.
It's pretty clear that he's tired of television and wants to go back to making movies. A lot of people don't understand that the leads are on set for 12-16 hours a day during television production and he's probably just tired of it. He and Sheridan having been butting heads throughout the production of Yellowstone. He most likely did it to stick it to Sheridan.
Old 05-07-23, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

I just don't understand the timing Costner and the studio chose to film this movie.
I just assumed this was only greenlit by the studio to get more Yellowstone seasons from Costner...this is just going to lose money...and we lost Yellowstone...
Old 05-07-23, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I just assumed this was only greenlit by the studio to get more Yellowstone seasons from Costner...this is just going to lose money...and we lost Yellowstone...
Horizon isn't being produced by Paramount. It's a New Line/Territory Pictures/Warner Bros Production
Old 05-07-23, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Based on what I read, Sheridan is the reason why the back half wasn't filmed. Costner was prepared to film but they delayed it because the scripts weren't ready. Costner already had these films planned and it seems like he planned to quit the show anyways.
Old 05-18-23, 09:52 AM

This is a good interview with Coppola and Costner about putting up their own money for their passion projects. it looks like Costner hopes the first part is out by this fall.

Mavericks Francis Ford Coppola And Kevin Costner On Risking Their Fortunes Bankrolling Passion Pics ‘Megalopolis’ And ‘Horizon’
https://deadline.com/2023/05/francis...on-1235359148/
Old 10-05-23, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

First teaser. Two movies coming next summer. That’s pretty unusual to release a sequel in the same year.

miller_time22 (10-05-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.