Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drive My Car (2021, D: Hamaguchi) -- S: Nishijima, Miura

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-23-22, 12:39 PM

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,205 Posts

Two years after his wife’s unexpected death, Yusuke Kafuku (Hidetoshi Nishijima), a renowned stage actor and director, receives an offer to direct a production of Uncle Vanya at a theater festival in Hiroshima. There, he meets Misaki Watari (Toko Miura), a taciturn young woman assigned by the festival to chauffeur him in his beloved red Saab 900. As the production’s premiere approaches, tensions mount amongst the cast and crew, not least between Yusuke and Koji Takatsuki, a handsome TV star who shares an unwelcome connection to Yusuke’s late wife. Forced to confront painful truths raised from his past, Yusuke begins - with the help of his driver – to face the haunting mysteries his wife left behind. Adapted from Haruki Murakami’s short story, Ryusuke Hamaguchi’s Drive My Car is a haunting road movie traveling a path of love, loss, acceptance, and peace. Winner of three prizes at the 2021 Cannes Film Festival, including Best Screenplay.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14039582/

98% currently on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/drive_my_car

As I mentioned in the Asian Cinema thread... this is one of the most critically acclaimed films of 2021.

It has won it won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Actor from the National Society of Film Critics. And both the New York Film Critics Circle and LA Film Critics Association have named it the year's Best Picture.

I was finally able to see it the other day. The idea of a 3-hour Japanese film is a bit daunting, but I thought it was paced really well. Great acting and the story unfolds nicely. It is a great piece on grief.

Criterion will be putting out the disc later this year.

Last edited by dex14; 01-23-22 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Drive My Car (2021, D: Hamaguchi) -- S: Nishijima, Miura

My favorite movie of the year. Maybe it helps that Murakami is my favorite author, and this movie does a good job of capturing his unique vibe.
Old 01-25-22, 12:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My favorite movie of the year. Maybe it helps that Murakami is my favorite author, and this movie does a good job of capturing his unique vibe.
I was equally wow'd by this movie, of my top ten of the year: it's #3 after, 'Power of the Dog' and 'The Hand of God'.

I'm looking forward to seeing the director's "Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy" at the AFI Silver soon.
Old 02-11-22, 09:26 AM

Old 02-14-22, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts

This will be on HBO Max on March 2nd.

https://deadline.com/2022/02/drive-m...ax-1234932822/
Old 02-14-22, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 948 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
This will be on HBO Max on March 2nd.

https://deadline.com/2022/02/drive-m...ax-1234932822/
I was thinking of seeing it on Thursday. Weather is supposed to start turning crappy though. I may wait now.
Old 02-14-22, 11:30 AM

That is a smart move by Janus.
Old 02-14-22, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
That is a smart move by Janus.
I canít imagine this being very popular on HBO Max. I would love to see how many people who start the film actually finish it. Probably not many.

I really enjoyed Drive My Car, but I wouldnít recommend it to most people I know in real life, maybe 2 people.

Itís very good, but itís way too long. The actual driving in a car scenes should have been cut down.

Itís like we got it the first few times you showed it, he practices his lines to audio recordings in the car.

Good movie, but I feel like the director intentionally pushed it to 3 hours for a reason, and not a good reason.

Serious art house fans will enjoy it, the rest of you can skip it.
Old 02-14-22, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
I can’t imagine this being very popular on HBO Max.
Probably not, but it will do a lot more for it than if Janus just premiered it on the Criterion Channel in a few months. This will give it a bit more exposure. There are a lot of art-house fans who just don't have access to theatres that play this. I think this is like the biggest thing Janus has distributed. 100 theatres for them is a big deal, so putting it on a big streaming platform is good for them.
Old 02-14-22, 12:55 PM

Probably not, but it will do a lot more for it than if Janus just premiered it on the Criterion Channel in a few months. This will give it a bit more exposure. There are a lot of art-house fans who just don't have access to theatres that play this. I think this is like the biggest thing Janus has distributed. 100 theatres for them is a big deal, so putting it on a big streaming platform is good for them.
Thats true. I just donít understand HBO Max acquiring it, I mean they donít get anything prestige-wise when it wins an Oscar.
Old 02-14-22, 12:58 PM

Thats true. I just don’t understand HBO Max acquiring it, I mean they don’t get anything prestige-wise when it wins an Oscar.
I think it is just a deal for streaming rights.

It might just come down to because WB and Janus have an existing relationship. Filmstruck in the past, many Criterion films are on HBO Max under the TCM banner, etc.
Old 02-14-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts

Yeah, in 2020 we lost two of the theaters that would play smaller movies. The Best Picture nomination meant that maybe this would cycle through here, but I like having the option.
Old 03-05-22, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Reminder that this is now on HBO Max.
Old 03-05-22, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 308 Posts

Watched this tonight. Solid film, but they could've trimmed 25-30 minutes.

The driving scenes, especially through the tunnels, reminded me a bit of Tarkovsky's Solaris.

I suspect this will get an unnecessary and crappy US remake in a few years.
Old 03-06-22, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Watched this tonight. Solid film, but they could've trimmed 25-30 minutes.

The driving scenes, especially through the tunnels, reminded me a bit of Tarkovsky's Solaris.
I was bummed to read this. Guess I better keep my finger on the FF button.
Old 03-26-22, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think my expectations were too high. Kinda disappointed in it. Was hoping for something amazing like Parasite. It did turn out to be longer than it needed.
Old 03-26-22, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I think my expectations were too high. Kinda disappointed in it. Was hoping for something amazing like Parasite. It did turn out to be longer than it needed.

Parasite was an amazing film. This one was too long. It needed to be 30 minutes shorter.

Good film, but if it wasnít Asians doing it, it wouldnít even be nominated. Same with Coda. Good and cute, but a very generic format, without it being about deaf people, It doesnít sniff nominations.

Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Hubbub (04-09-22)
Old 04-09-22, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 513 Posts

Parasite was an amazing film. This one was too long. It needed to be 30 minutes shorter.

Good film, but if it wasnít Asians doing it, it wouldnít even be nominated. Same with Coda. Good and cute, but a very generic format, without it being about deaf people, It doesnít sniff nominations.

Just my opinion.
Not even sure what that means. So voters nominate undeserving films because of racism? And yes, CODA doesnít get nominated if itís not about deaf people, because thatís pretty much the point of the movie.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (04-09-22)
Old 04-09-22, 09:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 608 Likes on 522 Posts

both of these statements are wrong in so many ways.