DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Equalizer 3 (2023, D: Fuqua) -- S: Denzel Washington (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/654588-equalizer-3-2023-d-fuqua-s-denzel-washington.html)

DJariya 01-12-22 03:35 PM

The Equalizer 3 (2023, D: Fuqua) -- S: Denzel Washington

Looks like Denzel is saying this is his next movie. Sony hasn't officially announced it yet.

https://collider.com/equalizer-3-den...qua-directing/

Director Antoine Fuqua's The Equalizer and The Equalizer 2 both belong in the rare but hallowed subgenre of "Denzel Washington beating the shit out of people," so needless to say we've eagerly kept our ears to the ground for any news of a third entry. The trail has been cold for a few years now, with The Equalizer 2 hitting theaters in 2018, until Collider's Steve Weintraub sat down with the Oscar-winner to discuss The Tragedy of Macbeth and learned, uh, The Equalizer 3 might be Washington's very next film.

Here's exactly what the actor told us about his post-Macbeth plans for 2022:
"They have written the third Equalizer, so I’m scheduled to do that. So I gotta get in shape and start beating people up again. I get to beat people up again. The tragedy of Macbeth and then going and beating some people up. Can’t get any better, right?"
Additionally, sources have told Collider that Fuqua is currently in talks to direct the third film. Negotiations are ongoing, but we don't expect there to be any hold-ups. This would most likely make The Equalizer 3 the filmmaker's feature follow-up to 2021's The Guilty starring Jake Gyllenhaal.

Loosely based on the 1980s thriller show starring Edward Woodward, The Equalizer premiered in 2014 and saw Washington take on the role of Robert McCall, a former Marine who cuts a violent path through the Russian mafia to protect a teenage prostitute, Teri (Chloe Grace Moretz). A follow-up debuted four years later–the first sequel for both Washington and Fuqua—which sees Washington's lead character seeking revenge for the murder of a close friend, Susan Plummer (Melissa Leo).

The Equalizer 3 still hasn't been officially confirmed, but we know Fuqua has ideas. When Collider spoke to the filmmaker in 2018, he told us he'd love to take Robert McCall overseas.

In my mind, there’s a European adventure, absolutely. In my mind, that’s what I’d like, to see him in Europe, in the future. God willing."
You can currently see Washington in the Shakespeare adaptation The Tragedy of Macbeth, directed by Joel Cohen and co-starring Oscar-winner Frances McDormand. Look for our full interview with Denzel Washington in the coming days.

mwbmis 01-12-22 03:46 PM

Re: The Equalizer 3 (D: Fuqua) -- S: Denzel Washington

I just re-watched the first one a few weeks ago and wondered if we would be getting a third one. Denzel is probably getting too old for this though. Then again he's 2 1/2 years younger than Neeson.

E Unit 01-12-22 04:09 PM

As long as he’s physically able, I hope he keeps making these. I just love him in this role.

Osiris3657 01-12-22 04:28 PM

Dug the 1st one, but the 2nd one had me checking the time repeatedly...expectations for any future sequels are low

dex14 01-12-22 04:59 PM

The second one sucked. Hopefully, this will be an improvement.

devilshalo 01-12-22 05:12 PM

He's already been to Eastern Europe and Turkey. :shrug:

Spoiler:
BTW, it's not on the pre-production schedule yet.

Mike86 01-12-22 05:15 PM

I’ve liked both films so far. The first is better, but the second one has its moments too.

Giantrobo 01-12-22 05:53 PM

I like this series so I'm in :up:

Deftones 01-12-22 06:54 PM

I liked them. Enjoy seeing old men kick ass.

B5Erik 01-12-22 07:56 PM

I love Denzel's Equalizer movies. They're friggin' awesome!

I didn't see Man on Fire until after I watched them, and after those I didn't much like Man on Fire. It was OK, but I really enjoyed the Equalizer movies a lot more. I love the character as Denzel portrayed him.

I didn't think we'd get a 3rd movie, either. I'm pleasantly surprised!

Why So Blu? 01-12-22 08:16 PM

The first film is cool but part 2 was trash. It would have been better if he had spent the entire film as the Lyft driver dishing out punishment instead of the segue it went through.

Runaway 01-13-22 04:06 AM

While the 2nd Equalizer wasn't very good, I could still enjoy it for the most part.

Rob V 01-13-22 06:11 AM

I love Denzel... but the premise that a guy, albeit highly trained, can see a credit card on the floor and connect the dots that the perps not only killed a hooker last Tuesday but also bought a 12 pack of burritos with it earlier in the day, is kinda ridiculous. That said, I'll rent this.

B5Erik 01-13-22 11:14 AM

Huh. While the 2nd one wasn't as good as the first I still liked it a lot. It's a good movie.

I love Denzel's take on the character. It really works for me.

GoldenJCJ 01-13-22 11:28 AM

I enjoyed the first movie. I’m pretty sure the second one is still going…

I’m down for a third movie of it’s more in line with the first one.

candyrocket786 01-13-22 12:38 PM

Finally.......

Looking forward to it. Love the first two.

Then we need to get the ultimate crossover with Hutch, Mc Call and Wick.

d2cheer 01-15-22 03:19 PM

Hopefully he will pass the torch to the Queen...

-wink-

DJariya 04-20-22 08:59 PM

Officially announced by Sony

Sony has also officially revealed “The Equalizer 3,” another installment in Denzel Washington’s action franchise. While Washington and series director Antoine Fuqua have both recently teased a follow-up to 2018’s “The Equalizer 2,” this marks the first official acknowledgement from Sony regarding the project. “The Equalizer 3” is set to hit theaters on Sept. 1, 2023.

Mike86 04-20-22 11:53 PM

Glad to see it’s confirmed and has a date set. Too bad it’s still a ways down the line though.

TheMovieman 04-20-22 11:56 PM

Well good news is Denzel Washington does not age :lol:

Why So Blu? 04-21-22 12:21 AM

1 was good, 2 was garbage, so it could go either way.

DJariya 04-21-22 12:26 AM

Denzel will be a few months away from turning 69 when this is released. Hell, Stallone is still making action movies at his age. Denzel can still pass for someone in his mid 50s IMO.

B5Erik 04-21-22 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14092555)
Denzel will be a few months away from turning 69 when this is released. Hell, Stallone is still making action movies at his age. Denzel can still pass for someone in his mid 50s IMO.

Mid 50s? Hell, I could buy him as someone in his early 50s!

d2cheer 04-23-22 09:50 AM

Re: The Equalizer 3 (2023, D: Fuqua) -- S: Denzel Washington

They need to go the Death Wish III route and make it bonkers.

Mike86 04-23-22 11:46 AM

Re: The Equalizer 3 (2023, D: Fuqua) -- S: Denzel Washington

I didn’t realize he’s that old, but I guess it makes sense.