Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scream (2022, D: Bettinelli-Opin, Gillety) - S: Campbell, Cox, Arquette - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Scream 2022?
0%
5.56%
44.44%
22.22%
27.78%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
0%
Will wait to see it at home
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Scream (2022, D: Bettinelli-Opin, Gillety) - S: Campbell, Cox, Arquette - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 01-12-22, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Synopsis:

"Twenty-five years after a streak of brutal murders shocked the quiet town of Woodsboro, a new killer has donned the Ghostface mask and begins targeting a group of teenagers to resurrect secrets from the town’s deadly past. Neve Campbell (“Sidney Prescott”), Courteney Cox (“Gale Weathers”) and David Arquette (“Dewey Riley”) return to their iconic roles in Scream alongside Melissa Barrera, Kyle Gallner, Mason Gooding, Mikey Madison, Dylan Minnette, Jenna Ortega, Jack Quaid, Marley Shelton, Jasmin Savoy Brown, and Sonia Ammar."

Running Time: 1 hour, 54 minutes

Rotten Tomatoes: 81% as of 1/12/22

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/scream_2022

Screenings start tomorrow night. I plan to see it tomorrow at 7pm.

There is also a Fan event screening at some theaters with a televised Q&A. A friend of mine is going to that screening.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-12-22 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Scream (2022, D: Bettinelli-Opin, Gillety) - S: Campbell, Cox, Arquette - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Just got out of seeing this in an almost sold out Dolby showing. I had a good time watching this and it was an interesting way to bring back the series after 10 years. Some really gory kills and there were a lot of laughs. It doesn't take itself too seriously and there's a lot of horror movie cliche jokes. It was good to see Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox and David Arquette return one more time in supporting roles. The de-aged Skeet Ulrich hallucinations looked good. Melissa Barrera was great as the lead. I loved her in In the Heights and enjoyed her here. Hope she gets even more work now. If you enjoy this series I recommend it. You really have to suspend some disbelief on how certain plot points get tied in. Too bad they killed off Dewey. He really got gutted by that tiny Amber Suspend disbelief. But I found it very entertaining overall. 4 out of 5 stars from me and 8 out of 10.
Old 01-14-22, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: Scream (2022, D: Bettinelli-Opin, Gillety) - S: Campbell, Cox, Arquette - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Just got back. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the nostalgia trip of returning to the Macher house. Only Part 2 didnít have representation out of the characters outside of the main 3. Nice to see Judy Hicks and Martha Meeks again.

I really liked the new cast. Melissa Berrera being Billyís daughter was kind of random, but I get why it was done. I thought Jenna Ortega was the heart of the movie, though. Loved Marthaís kids as well.

it sucked to see Dewey get killed, but I think he shouldíve died in Part 2 honestly. Liv was probably my least favorite, if you even count Stuís nephew Vince.

But, this is probably the best sequel so far, a direction I wish theyíd have gone long ago. My rankings of the franchise:

1996 Original
2022 Requel
Scream 2
Scream 4
Scream 3

Last edited by MysterioMan007; 01-14-22 at 12:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk God

So it's not really mandatory to see Scream 4 IMO, but the reason why there was a mention to see it was because Marley Sheton's character Judy Hicks was in that movie as a deputy. She is now the sheriff and has a pretty big part here before she's killed off.
Old 01-14-22, 05:55 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So it's not really mandatory to see Scream 4 IMO, but the reason why there was a mention to see it was because Marley Sheton's character Judy Hicks was in that movie as a deputy. She is now the sheriff and has a pretty big part here before she's killed off.
None of the sequels are really mandatory for this. But 4 is one of the better ones. It was before its time. It has some issue, but rewatching recently and it is even more of the times now than it was then.

I thought this one was pretty good overall. I was surprised by some of it. I was super happy to see Jenna Ortega make it through the opening... and then the whole movie. I am a big fan of hers. Also a big fan of Barrera.

I know there will be some babies who will hate the reveals and motivation in this. The toxic fandom stuff was spot on though and at the Rian Johnson mention.

The Dewey kill hit hard. It sucks... but I was expecting at least one of the original 3 to go.

Marley Shelton spoiled Ulrich was in this a long time ago, so that wasn't too big of a surprise. It was well done. The idea of a Billy lovechild may seem far-fetched... but when you think about the reality of the situation and Sid wasn't putting out back then... he was getting laid somewhere.

The name is mentioned, but it is kind of glossed over. Sid is married to Mark... Patrick Dempsey from 3.

I think I'd rank as:
2-4 tie
Old 01-14-22, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I didn't even realize that Kirby survived Part 4 until it was pointed out to me on another forum that when Richie was on youtube watching the Stab 8 video, that there was a recommended video on the side that was titled, "Interview with Woodsboro survivor Kirby Reed" with a thumbnail of Hayden Panetierre. Glad to see she made it. She was one of the best side characters.
Old 01-15-22, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

1. Scream ('96)
2. Scream 2
3. Scream 4
4. Scream ('22)
5. Scream 3
Dvdlovr24 (01-15-22)
Old 01-16-22, 11:38 AM

So this is on course make more during the holiday weekend domestically than Scream 4 did during its entire run. I guess we'll be getting more sequels.
Old 01-16-22, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought this was by far the best of the sequels. The original house reveal was great. I thought they did a great job making the audience keep guessing and doubting who the killers would be. I also thought Neve, Courtney and David were used perfectly. Skeet too. The meta stuff was a ton of fun too. Solid 4 out of 5 for me.

5. Scream 3
4. Scream 4
3. Scream 2
2. Scream 5
1. Scream
Old 01-16-22, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

A fun time, definitely better than 3 and 4. Good to see Ghostface stumbling around again too.
Old 01-17-22, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. They took a very Scream approach to things, which might sound obvious but all too often that essence of the official is taken away.

I revisited 4 because I feel like I read that it was important for this one, but as stated, it's really not necessary. It was a good reminder that part 4 wasn't all that bad, though it feels almost forgotten. Part 3 is the only one that I really didn't care for all that much.

Anyway, back to this film, I loved the nods to the original, some more subtle than others. I had called out the title of this film as one of the worst in another thread, so it made me chuckle that they made a joke about it. From the way it so closely mirrored the first, I sort of better accepted the title, too. Sad to lose Dewey but it did give the movie more weight. I'm actually a little surprised Gale wasn't killed off, but I guess that's almost an ongoing joke. After revisiting 4 and watching 5, I would totally be up for more Scream movies.
Old 01-19-22, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts

After Dewey surviving Scream 2, I kept waiting for his death to be a swerve and for him to show up in the third act. I figured one of the killers from the jump because it was the gal who played Susan Atkins in OUATIH. She just can't get away from the fire.
Old 01-20-22, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I've actually never seen the original films, but the gf wanted to see this so we did. I dug it, very meta
Old 01-20-22, 12:18 PM

‘Scream’ Filmmakers on the Provocative Ending, {spoiler}’s Death and the ‘Star Wars’ Cameo That Could Have Been
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/s...on-1235158213/
Old 01-23-22, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw it and had a great time. Toxic fandom is the villain? Man sign me up;

And any movie that makes fun of the babadok and other modern horror movies is a +

Old 01-23-22, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Looking back, itís extra funny knowing that the boyfriend is the killer and that he ordered the party guests to leave while claiming that he is saving their lives. He wasnít wrong
Old 02-20-22, 10:36 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

i really had a good time with this. it was pretty great on the tension, scares and the kills were gnarly. i was so surprised when i finished at how much i enjoyed. Gail and Sidney becoming total badasses was so right. just too bad about Dewey, but this last and hopefully it is the last encounter really surprised me in a good way. and really the only mandatory watch is Part 1 as so much centers around it. almost everything actually from Billy Loomis to the house. just a great rebranding or whatever.
Old 02-20-22, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thought it was okay. I was really hating the movie in the beginning but started liking it when the old guard started showing up.
Old 02-21-22, 12:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

more people should give this a watch. you might be surprised...
Old 02-24-22, 07:43 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Disliked it.

Was never a big fan of the series, although the first is great.

I did really like that the original 3 weren't important to the plot, that they kinda threw themselves into it (stupidly). Wasn't a fan of the "we're all related to like 3 people from the original" plot point, but the worst part is that I was bored during so much of it.

The chase/kill scenes were just basic...and in between I couldn't get into the characters. Although the simplicity might have been intentional, but doesn't make it an interesting movie lol. It's better than 4, but 4 was more "creative" if that makes sense
Old 02-24-22, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed this for what it was. It's the perfect follow-up in a series where each film got worse. And I'd rate it pretty close to the original. Both Campbell and Cox were really good IMO. Albeit far underused. I believe they appeared for the first time 45 minutes into it. And showed up not a moment too soon. I was really starting to get tired and irritated with the new characters. Even rooting for ghostface to wipe them all out.
Old 03-07-22, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk God

This is now on Paramount + for those who were holding out and didn't see it in the theater and didn't want to buy it.
Boondock Saint (03-08-22)
Old 03-08-22, 12:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice! I'll probably check it out this weekend.
Old 03-08-22, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,149 Likes on 899 Posts

Just finished this on Paramount+. I thought it was all around pretty decent. Some good kills and I liked the new characters.

I didnít think it could be any more obvious that Amber was one of the killers. She acted weird pretty much from the moment she was introduced. I didnít necessarily expect Richie until the reveal though.

I thought it was pretty over the top how after Sidney told Sam that they always come back Amber comes to try for a final kill after she was shot and burnt to a crisp just minutes before.

I had it spoiled that Dewey died. It sucked to see him go, but I kind of expected one of the legacy characters to go too. It wasnít going to be Sidney so either Dewy or Gale made sense.

Not sure how Iíd rank the franchise as I havenít watched the others in quite a while, but I would say this was solid.
Old 03-16-22, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Watching it now with my child. We just watched the first 4 over the last 2 days. Have to agree with the above comment part 4 was way ahead of its time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.