Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scream (2022, D: Bettinelli-Opin, Gillety) - S: Campbell, Cox, Arquette - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Scream 2022?
0%
5.56%
44.44%
22.22%
27.78%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
0%
Will wait to see it at home
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Scream (2022, D: Bettinelli-Opin, Gillety) - S: Campbell, Cox, Arquette - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 03-18-22, 08:35 AM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Scream (2022, D: Bettinelli-Opin, Gillety) - S: Campbell, Cox, Arquette - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Finally seen it on Paramount+. This movie is overrated. I still enjoyed watching it, but I prefer Scream 4 over this. The killer(s) are way too predictable and they pulled a Luke Skywalker on a very certain character. The things that I did like are an element of this movie which I can't say because it's a spoiler and the brutality. It's not Friday the 13th lever brutal, but it is the most brutal out of the five Scream films. Then again, it's been awhile since I've seen the other ones, so my mind can change. But yeah, liked this movie. I just don't get the praise, while everyone else is crapping on Scream 4.
Old 03-18-22, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts
Re: Scream (2022, D: Bettinelli-Opin, Gillety) - S: Campbell, Cox, Arquette - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Do you mean Dewey being retired as the Luke Skywalker moment? If so I donít think thatís the best comparison. Dewey was isolating himself because of the shit he had been through previously, but it didnít take much to persuade him to help the new characters.

As far as the killers- like I mentioned, I donít think they could have made it any more obvious that Amber would be one of them. Pretty much her first appearance in the film she gives off the vibe like, ďyep, sheís one of the killersĒ. I didnít catch on to the boyfriend being the second killer, but it does fit the trope.
Old 03-18-22, 09:44 AM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Do you mean Dewey being retired as the Luke Skywalker moment? If so I don’t think that’s the best comparison. Dewey was isolating himself because of the shit he had been through previously, but it didn’t take much to persuade him to help the new characters.

As far as the killers- like I mentioned, I don’t think they could have made it any more obvious that Amber would be one of them. Pretty much her first appearance in the film she gives off the vibe like, “yep, she’s one of the killers”. I didn’t catch on to the boyfriend being the second killer, but it does fit the trope.
Yup, the Dewey moment. I say Luke Skywalker in the sense that, okay, he didn't need to die right there. He just dies just cause. I don't like that. I don't like when legacy characters death feels forced. I don't mind them dying, but try executed better.

As for the killers, even the movie was aware about it. Dewey knew who the killer was early on.
Old 05-15-22, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

Got around to watching this. Decent, but will be forgettable for me in a few months.

As expected when first announced, bland title creativity is a hint to a bland storyline.

Side note - I still have a legacy Ghostface Halloween costume from 1996/1997. The mask is starting to yellow, but itís such a great costume still! Haha

Old 07-07-22, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts

Well, after having not seen anything since Scream 3 over 20 years ago, I rewatched Scream 1 this week, caught up with Scream 4, and then watched Scream 5. This was a step-down, IMO, from Scream 4.

My ratings:
Scream 1
Scream 4
Scream 2, Scream 5
Scream 3

One particularly disappointing thing about it was that after all the (mostly-apt) analysis of legacy sequel (or requel) tropes, they then didn't do anything to subvert it. On the contrary, they leaned into it hard. Handing off to the new cast, bringing back legacy characters, offing one of the legacy characters, retreading locations and story beats, "homages" (like the final crane shot of a reporter outside the house or the Ghostface sting right before the credits start).

That said, it wasn't bad (like Scream 3), and it was entertaining enough, and hopefully they can springboard off of it into something better for Scream 6. Also, I do find it incredible that Chad (the male twin) survived. He was stabbed a LOT, and should not have been conscious in the ambulance at the end.

Scream 4 is better than any fourth sequel probably has a right to expect, and as others have noted, in many ways it has aged well and was ahead of its time.