Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X (2022, D: Ti West) S: Snow, Goth, Mescudi, Ortega

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X (2022, D: Ti West) S: Snow, Goth, Mescudi, Ortega

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Re: X (2022, D: Ti West) S: Snow, Goth, Mescudi, Ortega

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i couldn't get into this one. i'm gonna give it another try, but it wasn't doing a thing for me.
It's OK to not like a movie. You don't have to keep watching it
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (05-12-22)
Old 05-12-22, 08:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
i know, but with such great reviews and reactions, i think i should. perhaps i was tired or not in right mindset for horror at the time. many different scenarios why something didn't click. can't hurt to try again and if it doesn't again, so be it.
Old 05-31-22, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

I saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. But I do have to say I'm glad I wasn't a little sleepy when I started it, because even with all the nudity the film takes its sweet time to get going into a horror movie. If I was feeling a little tired when I popped it in, I might not have had the patience for it. I'd like to see it again for a lot of the reasons many have already mentioned, but specifically because the
Spoiler:
ubiquitous TV preacher is Mia Goth's character's dad and I'd like to see the juxtaposition of the two characters when they're (semi) on screen together

Originally Posted by dex14
This is the third film in three months I've seen with Jenna Ortega... and I am not complaining.
My first but I'm certainly open to more.

Originally Posted by inri222
Need to check this one out. I loved House of the Devil, and liked both The Innkeepers and The Sacrament.
If I'm underwhelmed with Ti West as a filmmaker, it's only because House of the Devil was the first movie of his I saw and he just knocked it out of the park with that one. He's hit some clutch singles and doubles with his other movies, but we all love seeing the long ball, don't we. Baseball analogy over.

Originally Posted by Gunde
True, but sometimes you go into a movie with a completely different mindset and when it's not what you expect, it can be disappointing. Once you know what it is, and then watch it in that frame of mind, you like it. Odd comparison, but I was a big punk rock fan when I saw Repo Man the first time. Owned the soundtrack, etc. But almost all the "punk" stuff happens at the beginning, and I got completely turned off with the bizarre characters, the incoherent plot line, and yes, the absence of any punk rock music after the first 10 minutes. Once I started paying attention to what's going on in the background of the movie, I started seeing jokes that completely went over my head the first time through.

OR, an even better example is when Miramax was basically touting Jackie Brown as "Pulp Fiction 2", when it's not even close to that. I walked out of the theater on Christmas Day in 1997 thoroughly disappointed and no longer a Quentin Tarantino fan. Let's just say I've come around since then.

So yeah, sometimes you give a movie another chance.
Old 05-31-22, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I'd like to see it again for a lot of the reasons many have already mentioned, but specifically because the
Spoiler:
ubiquitous TV preacher is Mia Goth's character's dad and I'd like to see the juxtaposition of the two characters when they're (semi) on screen together
Spoiler:
Her subtle reaction in the gas station scene when the clerk is watching the preacher on the store TV is interesting on the second viewing no you know their related.
Old 05-31-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Spoiler:
Her subtle reaction in the gas station scene when the clerk is watching the preacher on the store TV is interesting on the second viewing no you know their related.
Yeah. That's exactly what I'm thinking, and I was obviously not considering it the first time through.
Old 05-31-22, 01:37 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

My first but I'm certainly open to more.
This year alone, she's been in The Fallout, Scream, Studio 666, and X... all worth checking out. Later in the year, Wednesday Adams on the Tim Burton Netflix show.
She was also good in The Babysitter sequel and I enjoyed her on the second season of You.
Old 05-31-22, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
This year alone, she's been in The Fallout, Scream, Studio 666, and X... all worth checking out. Later in the year, Wednesday Adams on the Tim Burton Netflix show.
She was also good in The Babysitter sequel and I enjoyed her on the second season of You.

Old 05-31-22, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

If I'm underwhelmed with Ti West as a filmmaker, it's only because House of the Devil was the first movie of his I saw and he just knocked it out of the park with that one. He's hit some clutch singles and doubles with his other movies, but we all love seeing the long ball, don't we. Baseball analogy over.
Yeah, there was a lot of high expectations for him back then. I haven't seen X yet but I think I'll like it.
Old 06-03-22, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched the movie last weekend and it was a TRIP! Highly recommended.
Old 06-03-22, 09:03 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I watched the movie last weekend and it was a TRIP! Highly recommended.
I really enjoyed the hell out if it. The 1979 vibes and atmosphere were great.
Old 06-03-22, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I enjoyed the hell out of this as well. It does a really good job at paying homage to the style of what came before while offering what struck me as a pretty original story. I feel like West started with the challenge of, can I make a movie where

Spoiler:
a decrepitly old couple kills off a bunch of healthy younger people without resorting to supernatural powers, inhuman strength, idiotic characters, etc.

Just a lot of fun and well thought out.
Old 07-01-22, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

We've seen all this before, but at least it was done well. No surprises. Nothing new or innovative. A solid, stylish effort with an somewhat intriguing villain but still kind of generic overall.

Good but I don't see the great here. This was The Northman of horror.
Old 08-30-22, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Started off decent but then just couldn't figure out what it wanted to be. I don't agree with West's decision to blend campy horror with serious horror - it didn't work here at all.

Seems like West wanted to drag things out even more like he did with his first two films then studio stepped in and said "come on, let's pick things up" I'm not saying that's what happened but it sure felt like it due to how rushed it was.

He's making a prequel called "Pearl" - I'll still probably check it out - expectations will be low.
Old 08-30-22, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
He's making a prequel called "Pearl" - I'll still probably check it out - expectations will be low.
Not making, made. It's released next month.
Old 09-17-22, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Watched this tonight. Thought it was decent but I didn’t necessarily love it.

A good example of style over substance for my liking. I liked the creepy setting and that it was taking place in the seventies, but to me it felt kind of slow for a pretty good chunk of the runtime. I liked the idea of the older couple as the killers but some of the stuff with them was cringe/gross.

I wanted to like it more than I did overall. Not bad but not great either. I’ll probably check out Pearl at some point.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-17-22 at 11:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
Hokeyboy (09-21-22), TheMovieman (09-18-22)
Old 09-18-22, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I watched it last night as well and felt pretty much the same about it.
Old 09-18-22, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I liked it but something about it felt off, maybe it was the tone or something. Not sure this is one I'll revisit but I'll check out Pearl once it comes out on Blu-ray.
Old 09-18-22, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

It was just kind of boring in my opinion. Took too long for anything horror related to happen. I enjoy a slow burn but it just felt like not much happened in the movie. There was some nice eye candy in the sex scenes but after getting past that there wasn’t much of substance really.

I didn’t realize until the end that Mia Goth was playing both Maxine and Pearl. She did good in both roles.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-18-22 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-19-22, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

I rented this Saturday night and thought it was ok... I think the novelty of it comes from the fact that Pearl / Maxine are the same person and Ti West filmed the movies back to back. Aside from introducing the Adult Film concept into the movie, there was nothing really unique or transformative about this film.
TheMovieman (09-19-22)
Old 09-21-22, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

I didn't know Goth played both characters until recently. I'm definitely going to finish this trilogy out - while I didn't love X, it was still fun (and I may even enjoy it more now on a second viewing knowing that it's mainly a dark humor horror flick).
Old 09-21-22, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I didn't know Goth played both characters until recently. I'm definitely going to finish this trilogy out - while I didn't love X, it was still fun (and I may even enjoy it more now on a second viewing knowing that it's mainly a dark humor horror flick).
If I hadn't read it, I don't think I ever would have realized it was a dual role.
Rival11 (09-21-22)
Old 09-21-22, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I had no idea either.
Old 09-21-22, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

I only figured it out because I knew Pearl was coming out... starring Mia Goth. I also checked IMDB while watching X and saw there was no actress listed for Pearl.
Rival11 (09-21-22)
Old 09-21-22, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I was late to the game and got the DVD from the library. There was an extra on the disc that showed the makeup process.
Old 09-21-22, 12:34 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Maybe it’s just the look of the film and the late 1970s vibe, but I still really enjoyed this.

Gonna have to do a rewatch before seeing Pearl.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.