Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-22, 07:59 AM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Movie Theaters

Originally Posted by Wolf359
One ticket pays for my entire month.

I've been a member since May 2017 and haven't had one price increase. Even if it "soars" by a buck or two it's still great.
Oh my 22 dollars for Dolby?
Old 03-06-22, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mwynn
Oh my 22 dollars for Dolby?
Yeah both the Dolby and IMAX seats are pretty expensive at the location nearest to me.
Old 03-06-22, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

My average is probably a couple of premium screen showings a month and I've been very happy with my A-List, still a good deal imo.

Old 03-06-22, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think the vast majority of people can’t imagine seeing more than a couple movies a month, so those subscriptions don’t pay off. I used to see maybe 10 some months with RU and people thought I was insane.

Between the all the streaming service subs, software subs (personal/business)...I basically don't need another subscription service.

... and yeah, I don't frequent the theater that often anymore.
Old 03-06-22, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

If I had a subscription service I'd go and see literally everything, but the theaters here are so bad that I wouldn't want to do that.
Old 03-06-22, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Nope, not for me. I like our AMC but not the surge pricing. Fortunately, I got some rather large gift cards and passes from our locally owned Cinema Cafe chain for my birthday. They can’t show everything, but I’ll see what I can.
Old 03-06-22, 05:40 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

And hell, let me know when a concert venue gives you a deal like the AMC A-List does. It is the best value for movies period. Better deal than any streaming service, in my opinion.

Some Venues do a season pass. Xfinity theater in Hartford CT emailed me. $200 for lawn (GA) tickets for the year.

I wish the AMC theaters near me were as good as the Regal ones. I'd do the Regal pass but you still have to pay per movie lol
Old 03-06-22, 05:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I bring up AMC A-List or Regal Unlimited every now and then to the people here in this forum who complain about ticket prices. But, I don't know it seems to fall on deaf ears. Either they don't understand it, don't care enough to know more or they just don't want to subscribe to something. Or maybe the casual movie-goers here just don't have the time to see that many movies? I don't know. $23/month for 12 movies per month including premium screens is an amazing deal. Even Regal is $23 for Unlimited movies and you pay a small surcharge for a premium screen is great. It's the best thing to happen to movie theaters ever.

I saw The Batman on Thursday on a premium Dolby screen. $19 for the ticket if I paid out of pocket. I pay $23 for my subscription and don't have to pay an extra dime and I can 11 more. I'm already ahead if I see one more movie this month and I plan to see at least 3-4 more this month.
Dude you got the time and great for you, but 12 movies a fucking month is a hell of a lot. Even if you saw just on weekends you’d be seeing 1.4 movies on both Sat and Sunday of each of day 8 days in a month. That’s crazy amount of time. Sure, the clubs are great if you got that kinda time, but fuck no I’m giving up all that or could imagine that in a million years. When I was going I’d be lucky to see 12 in 2 years time. But, one month? No fucking way.
The following users liked this post:
JayTL (03-06-22)
Old 03-06-22, 07:18 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Dude you got the time and great for you, but 12 movies a fucking month is a hell of a lot. Even if you saw just on weekends you’d be seeing 1.4 movies on both Sat and Sunday of each of day 8 days in a month. That’s crazy amount of time. Sure, the clubs are great if you got that kinda time, but fuck no I’m giving up all that or could imagine that in a million years. When I was going I’d be lucky to see 12 in 2 years time. But, one month? No fucking way.
A few years ago I used to be able to do a movie a week. Maybe 2 movies a day if I have nothing better to do that day/there are good movies out.

These days I have to be more selective with my time and movies, and I'll be lucky to see one a month.
Old 03-06-22, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I guess people selectively read posts. You don't have to see 12 movies to make the plan worthwhile. I just showed in my area one ​​​​​​movie is my break even point. And that's not even considering the rewards, ordering food in advance, ease of cancelation, and keeping track of all the movies you've seen over the years in a nice app.
Old 03-06-22, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I don't go to the movies every single week. Sometimes there just aren't any new releases that are worthwhile. As I said earlier, you can see up to 12 and even at 2 or 3 per month you're already saving money. January 2022 was a horrendously slow month for new releases. The 355 and Scream were the only notable new releases. I saw both on Dolby screens and already came out ahead. And that's all I saw that month.

As someone said earlier, he just doesn't want to have this kind of recurring bill with all his other entertainment expenses. And that's totally fine. A movie theater subscription program is not for everyone. I only bring it up for people who do go more often than just casual movie-going and want to save money.
Old 03-07-22, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I bring up AMC A-List or Regal Unlimited every now and then to the people here in this forum who complain about ticket prices. But, I don't know it seems to fall on deaf ears. Either they don't understand it, don't care enough to know more or they just don't want to subscribe to something. Or maybe the casual movie-goers here just don't have the time to see that many movies? I don't know. $23/month for 12 movies per month including premium screens is an amazing deal. Even Regal is $23 for Unlimited movies and you pay a small surcharge for a premium screen is great. It's the best thing to happen to movie theaters ever.

I saw The Batman on Thursday on a premium Dolby screen. $19 for the ticket if I paid out of pocket. I pay $23 for my subscription and don't have to pay an extra dime and I can 11 more. I'm already ahead if I see one more movie this month and I plan to see at least 3-4 more this month.
And every time it is brought up there are numerous comments about why it doesn't work for some people. Highlights are usually distance to an AMC theater, quality of AMC theaters, lack of time or cost.

One ticket pays for my entire month.

I've been a member since May 2017 and haven't had one price increase. Even if it "soars" by a buck or two it's still great.
Wow. That's an expensive ticket. The one AMC that is sort of near me is nowhere near that expensive. 1 and a half tickets will cover the cost of A-list for a month here.
Old 03-07-22, 01:22 PM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Wolf359 (03-07-22)
Old 03-08-22, 11:43 AM

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...mc-1235106136/

‘The Batman’ Ushers in New Era of Movie Ticket Price Hikes

Overseas, the major circuits, including AMC, have employed variable and surge pricing for years; but until now, the tactic hasn't been used in the U.S.

The surcharge, ranging from $1 to $1.50, will remain in place for eight days, insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter.

It turns out AMC isn’t the only chain upping the stakes as the exhibition emerges from the pandemic. Cinemark Theatres and Regal Cinemas, the country’s two other largest circuits, also experimented with surge pricing for Warner Bros.’ The Batman. Not only that, Cinemark and Regal began employing the increases during the December opening weekend of Sony’s box office behemoth Spider-Man: No Way Home. The difference: They didn’t go public with their plans; Aron did.
Old 03-08-22, 12:24 PM

Despite the fact things are getting better, this just makes me realize I'm probably still isolated. Too expensive to go out now. Also the pandemic made me a bit socially awkward, so I still try to avoid people in person for now.
Old 03-08-22, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentra
Despite the fact things are getting better, this just makes me realize I'm probably still isolated. Too expensive to go out now. Also the pandemic made me a bit socially awkward, so I still try to avoid people in person for now.
Prices are up across the board on everything.
CyberpunkCentra (03-08-22)
Old 03-08-22, 01:07 PM

Prices are up across the board on everything.
Why So Blu? (03-08-22)
Old 03-08-22, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Two matinees in a month pays for my subscription.
Anything else is gravy.

Plus discounts on popcorn and coke if you want it.
Why So Blu? (03-17-22)
Old 03-17-22, 08:19 AM

45-Day Release Window is the ‘New Normal,’ Says Cineworld Chief Mooky Greidinger

https://variety.com/2022/film/global...hH-Y_W8RUcZw4o
Old 03-17-22, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

45-Day Release Window is the ‘New Normal,’ Says Cineworld Chief Mooky Greidinger

https://variety.com/2022/film/global...hH-Y_W8RUcZw4o
Thank fucking Christ. Something good comes out of this whole mess.
Old 04-22-22, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Has the quality of movies, recently and near future, gone down since pandemic?

I wasn't sure where to post this or start a new thread.

AMC Ent. To Install Laser Projectors At 3,500 U.S. Auditoriums In Major Upgrade; Deal With Cinionic Rolls Out Through 2026

AMC Entertainment is planning its first major upgrade since the transition to digital, announcing a deal with Cinionic to roll out laser projectors to 3,500 of its U.S. auditoriums through 2026.The ’Laser at AMC’ initiative “represents a significant acceleration of AMC’s commitment to enhance the on-screen presentation” — with improved picture contrast, maximum picture brightness, more vivid color – “and signals a significant AMC commitment to the future of movie-going,” the company said. Laser projection is also more environmentally friendly with less waste, including eliminating the need to replace xenon bulbs, and a significant reduction in energy usage.
Old 04-26-22, 02:08 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

NATICK, MA - Movie buffs eager to see films back on the big screen can mark their calendars for May 27, when the Sunbrella IMAX 3D theaters, located in Jordan's Furniture in Natick and Reading, will reopen just in time for summer blockbuster releases.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/nati...-reopen-may-27

Finally! Boston area movie goers rejoice! Too late for Doctor Strange but after being closed for over 2yrs I'll take it. Anything is better than crappy AMC Framingham.
Old 04-26-22, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: Has the quality of movies, recently and near future, gone down since pandemic?

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Sounds great - now they just have to adopt the Alamo's policy of booting people who talk, look at their phones or bring shrieking children to 10PM R-rated action movies. All reasons I haven't stepped in an AMC in years. The projection is the least of their problems.
Old 04-26-22, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I would recommend AMC add multiple premium screens where they can, and improve the seats for everything else. I'm a regular but I'm down to only going to Dolby/Imax, so once a movie's off those screens I rarely go.
Old 04-26-22, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I would recommend AMC add multiple premium screens where they can, and improve the seats for everything else. I'm a regular but I'm down to only going to Dolby/Imax, so once a movie's off those screens I rarely go.
I use to work at AMC Framingham, you were lucky if the movie even played. Seriously. If there were technical issues (and there were plenty) they were slow to fix, so after a certain point it didn’t pay to stay because the movies are on a timed loop and can’t be stopped/rewound etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.