Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Theaters

Old 03-02-22, 12:17 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Movie Theaters

The Regal tickets are higher for Batman also. So are Cinemark.
Old 03-02-22, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by GLSWIA123
Yeah luckily my closest theater is a Regal, the closest AMC to me is actually a little far. There are real nice (but pricey) Harkins and Cinemark locations closer to me than AMC.
AMC is my nearest theater, and they are pricey but not nice. Most days I'll drive 2-3 times further to go anywhere else
Old 03-02-22, 04:52 PM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I take it back. Regal is far from where I live. I just meant by New York and LA standards it's close. I see Regal every time I leave city, but LOL! I'm not going to leave the city when there are AMC theaters everywhere near where I live.
Old 03-02-22, 05:39 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Better lock in your A-List memberships now to help curve those increasing fees.
Until they start adding a fee to A-list for those movies, kind of like what Regal does for certain screens
The following users liked this post:
mwynn (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 06:41 AM

Once again the theater owners are going to miscalculate. I would think one of the reasons that people stop going to theaters is the cost.
I would think they are kicking themselves for not doing this for Endgame or No Way Home.
Old 03-03-22, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mwynn
Once again the theater owners are going to miscalculate. I would think one of the reasons that people stop going to theaters is the cost.
I would think they are kicking themselves for not doing this for Endgame or No Way Home.
It's almost like most of these chains/companies are managed by complete dumbasses.

Boardroom Meeting of Dumbasses

Lead Dumbass: "Theater attendance is down and we are still in the red......what should we do"

Dumbass with a Ponytail: "Lets raise our prices."

Dumbass Majority: "Excellent idea."

The following 2 users liked this post by candyrocket786:
Alan Smithee (03-03-22), mwynn (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

I got tickets to a 5pm Batman at an AMC and I didn't notice any difference.
Old 03-03-22, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
It's almost like most of these chains/companies are managed by complete dumbasses.

Boardroom Meeting of Dumbasses

Lead Dumbass: "Theater attendance is down and we are still in the red......what should we do"

Dumbass with a Ponytail: "Lets raise our prices."

Dumbass Majority: "Excellent idea."
I think this is most board rooms. They are seriously out of touch with their consumers. When they start to fail they run to the government for a bail out.
Alan Smithee (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 11:14 AM

Ticket prices for today Uncharted on top, Batman on the bottom.

This is Cinemark.
IBJoel (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 11:19 AM

This is Regal

Old 03-03-22, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts

I am honestly surprised they didn't start charging more for Superhero movies earlier. particularly on opening weekend

You go to a stadium concert and Taylor Swift/Beyonce/The Rolling Stones front row tickets are gonna cost more then say Kid Rock or Dua Lipa tickets at the same stadium because more people want that ticket. You go to Staples Center and front row Laker tickets will cost more then front row WNBA tickets
IBJoel (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 11:27 AM

Amc

Old 03-03-22, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
I am honestly surprised they didn't start charging more for Superhero movies earlier. particularly on opening weekend

You go to a stadium concert and Taylor Swift/Beyonce/The Rolling Stones front row tickets are gonna cost more then say Kid Rock or Dua Lipa tickets at the same stadium because more people want that ticket. You go to Staples Center and front row Laker tickets will cost more then front row WNBA tickets
Yes, they could have very easily done this for Endgame and No Way Home.
Old 03-03-22, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

People aren't willing to pay extra for 3D, are they really going to pay extra for NOTHING?

I've heard about pricing by movie for a long time though, in 1993 I remember a newspaper article about that with a marquee reading "Jurassic Park- $20" then under that "Last Action Hero- Director's Cut- 50 cents." The theater I worked at then ran a mix of blockbusters and art films, so you were paying the same price for movies that cost millions of dollars as ones that cost just a fraction of that to make. If anything the current prices should stay the same for the big movies and the smaller ones should cost less.
Old 03-03-22, 12:07 PM

My preferred chain is MJR. Prices for Batman there are the same as other moves, just checked.
Old 03-03-22, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
My preferred chain is MJR. Prices for Batman there are the same as other moves, just checked.
Small chains will probably not make this move. This is about the big chains flexing their muscle, and making the consumer pay for their mistakes.

AMC nearly went bankrupt coming out of 2020, what did they do with the money they did gain. They brought more theaters. Who pays for that the consumer. It happens across the board, the extra costs and exec pay checks are rolled to the consumer.
Old 03-03-22, 01:12 PM

Sony Plans Major Unscripted Content Expansion With $350M Deal for Industrial Media

Industrial's Eli Holzman will lead nonfiction entertainment for Sony, with SPT alternative and syndication evp Holly Jacobs to exit for an overall deal. Suzanne Prete will shift to a new role as evp of game show production.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...4c9ce9541f3e30
Old 03-03-22, 01:18 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Sony Plans Major Unscripted Content Expansion With $350M Deal for Industrial Media

Industrial's Eli Holzman will lead nonfiction entertainment for Sony, with SPT alternative and syndication evp Holly Jacobs to exit for an overall deal. Suzanne Prete will shift to a new role as evp of game show production.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...4c9ce9541f3e30
This is about TV, not movie theatres.
Old 03-03-22, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
People aren't willing to pay extra for 3D, are they really going to pay extra for NOTHING?

I've heard about pricing by movie for a long time though, in 1993 I remember a newspaper article about that with a marquee reading "Jurassic Park- $20" then under that "Last Action Hero- Director's Cut- 50 cents." The theater I worked at then ran a mix of blockbusters and art films, so you were paying the same price for movies that cost millions of dollars as ones that cost just a fraction of that to make. If anything the current prices should stay the same for the big movies and the smaller ones should cost less.
Ticket prices are only going up. Theaters are heading down the road that sports, concerts, and other luxury entertainment are currently at...higher pricing for a smaller audience. The big question is how do they keep customers happy to pay more if they don't make changes to the theatrical experience.
Old 03-03-22, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Ticket prices are only going up. Theaters are heading down the road that sports, concerts, and other luxury entertainment are currently at...higher pricing for a smaller audience. The big question is how do they keep customers happy to pay more if they don't make changes to the theatrical experience.
They were unable to solve the bleeding of customers and this is their ultimate solution. Overcharging for soda and popcorn was not going to help, if they are losing customers every year.

Does anyone's theaters do any kind of marketing. Say when there is new comic movie coming out do they partner with comic shops?
Old 03-03-22, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
You go to a stadium concert and Taylor Swift/Beyonce/The Rolling Stones front row tickets are gonna cost more then say Kid Rock or Dua Lipa tickets at the same stadium because more people want that ticket.
Kid Rock and Dua Lipa cannot play a Stadium. The others can. I mean in Detroit maybe Kid Rock still can, but not anywhere else.

As someone who saw Dua Lipa in an arena this past week though, it was full and tickets were not cheap. A lot more than Kid Rock.
Old 03-03-22, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

They were unable to solve the bleeding of customers and this is their ultimate solution. Overcharging for soda and popcorn was not going to help, if they are losing customers every year.

Does anyone's theaters do any kind of marketing. Say when there is new comic movie coming out do they partner with comic shops?
The way people watch movies has more to do with the bleeding than the pricing. Just like sports, you have to have a product that's exciting and worth watching. People will pay for it.
mwynn (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Exactly $1 more for Batman at my "local" AMC.
Old 03-03-22, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Same in Dallas. For a non premium screen Batman is $15.39, Uncharted $14.39.
Old 03-03-22, 07:33 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

They need to rework the ticket percentages. Movie theaters exist to show movies. And yet they don't make money on it.

Either they need to make their own movies, have exclusives, or make more money per ticket.

The following 2 users liked this post by JayTL:
Alan Smithee (03-04-22), mwynn (03-04-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.