Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Theaters

Old 05-10-23, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts
Re: Movie Theaters

I liked eating at Alamo Drafthouse. Sometimes they would have a special menu tailored to a movie being shown.
Old 05-10-23, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,801 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
One thing I learned early on is never to buy food at the movie theater- as a kid my parents would never buy anything no matter how much I begged. I soon realized how overpriced it was and thought you had to be a real idiot to pay those prices, even working at a theater where most of my paycheck came from that I still felt people should just stay away from the snack bar until prices got more reasonable. They usually did thousands in business though so no reason to lower the prices as long as people are paying them. Come to think of it, I remember that I had never seen dumber people in my life until I started working at a theater also.
I enjoy popcorn and drinks during a movie. And considering it's the only way a movie theater can actually make money, I never had a problem paying extra to help keep those places open.

Now that moviegoing for me is just reserved for Marvel and the occasional other blockbuster and I only go to the Alamo because I hate the general public even more post-COVID, I'm regularly dropping a BUNCH of money on concessions but it's basically a full meal at that point and it'll be months before I'm back.
Old 07-20-23, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Looks like the AMC "Sightline" program is dead. They tested it in a few cities and it didn't work.

The following 5 users liked this post by DJariya:
Alan Smithee (07-20-23), IBJoel (07-20-23), Sketchsketchy (08-03-23), story (07-29-23), tanman (08-06-23)
Old 07-20-23, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Looks like the AMC "Sightline" program is dead. They tested it in a few cities and it didn't work.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1682084873941426185?s=20
Good. Stupid fucking idea.

The company said Thursday that it will end the pilot program in the coming weeks and replace it with a new program that aims to upgrade the seats at the front of each auditorium (an area considered to be the worst viewing experience).
Wait, improving something that's wrong instead of gouging your most loyal customers? What a concept!
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
DJariya (07-20-23), IBJoel (07-20-23)
Old 07-20-23, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only way to upgrade the seats in the front row would be to remove them.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
Abob Teff (07-31-23), BobO'Link (08-01-23)
Old 07-30-23, 08:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 890 Posts

A Regal cinema in west Houston just shut down, seemingly with no warning. I saw Oppenheimer there last week. Place is huge but kind of a dump. Apparently Cinemark has bought the space and plans to reopen it in two days, August 1st. The ‘liemax’ IMAX screen there is pretty decent, but they don’t have 70mm or seemingly any film projection. It’ll be very interesting to see if Cinemark can improve the space…
Old 07-31-23, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Good. Stupid fucking idea.

Wait, improving something that's wrong instead of gouging your most loyal customers? What a concept!
No, no, that makes total sense. Nobody wants to sit in the front rows, so we will dump more money into improving those seats instead of ... you know ... staff and a quality guest experience.

This really seems like a "last mile" problem. Is there really that much money in squeezing 10-20 more people into the front of an auditorium that is rarely 75% full?

Which brings me to an interesting question ... I wonder what the average theater "occupancy rate" is.
Old 08-01-23, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The only way to upgrade the seats in the front row would be to remove them.
100% true...

I sat on the front row *once* - my son and I went to see U-571 and the theater was practically full with *no* seats available other than the front row. We were there, wanted to see it, so sat dead center on the front row and had to just about lay down to see the screen (the days before reclining seats so you're sitting in a very uncomfortable position when slid down that far) *and* were so close you couldn't take in the entire screen, having to constantly turn your head to follow any action. Never again... Even if they put full reclining seats in that area... it's just too close.
The following users liked this post:
TomOpus (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember we went as a big family group to see "Twister" in the theaters and had to split up. I had to sit in the front row and stare up at a VERY big screen. I think my neck still hurts from that.

I second removing the entire front two rows. No one who actually wants to enjoy a movie sits there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
BobO'Link (08-02-23), TomOpus (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
100% true...

I sat on the front row *once* - my son and I went to see U-571 and the theater was practically full with *no* seats available other than the front row. We were there, wanted to see it, so sat dead center on the front row and had to just about lay down to see the screen (the days before reclining seats so you're sitting in a very uncomfortable position when slid down that far) *and* were so close you couldn't take in the entire screen, having to constantly turn your head to follow any action. Never again... Even if they put full reclining seats in that area... it's just too close.
We were on vacation when Return of the Jedi came out. Theater was packed. only seats left were front row right side. Next showing was an hour away. My three kids were young and we didn't want to wait so we took the seats. My first and last time in the front row.

At a local theater the main large theater's front row is fairly far from the screen so it's not a horrible place to sit.
Old 08-01-23, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 513 Likes on 337 Posts

100% true...

When I saw Inglorious Basterds, the only seats we could get were at the very end of the first row. Because we were so close and looking at an angle, it created a "funhouse mirror effect", where during closeups, the part of the characters face in middle of the screen would distort. It was like Tarantino cast Iron Jay in every part.
Old 08-09-23, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,170 Likes on 845 Posts

Both of the Cinemarks and the AMC that I go to have stopped using their box office windows and just sell the tickets from the concession counters. This was a pandemic thing, but they have never gone back. Is this like that in most places? I don't like it because it sometimes takes a while for them to come sell you a ticket, and I like to show up just before movie start time, which is schedule time + 20.
Old 08-09-23, 12:40 PM

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Our AMCs still have the box office in our area. What, do people wait in line to get a ticket and snacks in the same line? That seems bonkers to me.
Old 08-09-23, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Both of the Cinemarks and the AMC that I go to have stopped using their box office windows and just sell the tickets from the concession counters. This was a pandemic thing, but they have never gone back. Is this like that in most places? I don't like it because it sometimes takes a while for them to come sell you a ticket, and I like to show up just before movie start time, which is schedule time + 20.
Of the (4) different theater chains I have been to over the past few months:

Brenden: Tickets are sold from Concessions but there are also Kiosks available to purchase tickets
Cinemark: Tickets are sold from the Box Office/Front Counter
Reading: Tickets are sold from the Box Office/Front Counter
Regal: Tickets are sold from Concessions but there are also Kiosks available to purchase tickets

This isn't counting independent theaters I've gone to, all of whom sell tickets at the Box Office/Front Counter.
Old 08-09-23, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story
Our AMCs still have the box office in our area. What, do people wait in line to get a ticket and snacks in the same line? That seems bonkers to me.
They have a space sectioned off just to buy tickets, but it the same employees moving from station to station, so if everyone is busy selling popcorn, you have to wait to buy a ticket. For a time the Southwest theater just had one line for concessions and tickets, but I have not been there in years. The system might only bothers people like me who are trying to cut it close with being seated when the movie starts.
Old 08-09-23, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by story
The worst part is that even though very little of the menu is complex, those concession stand lines are somehow some of the least efficient lines ever.
Old 08-09-23, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,096 Likes on 765 Posts

The larger theaters around me (like the AMC) still have operational ticket counters. The smaller theaters have mostly converted to selling tickets at the concession stand. However, pretty much every theater I go to has self serve kiosks, which is what I use almost exclusively.
Old 08-09-23, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 857 Likes on 629 Posts

I saw The Dark Knight in Imax on opening weekend. This was before reserved seats became a thing. It was sold out and I sat on the second row. It was a pretty miserable experience. I prefer to sit in the very back since you don't have anyone behind you.
Old 08-09-23, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,677 Posts

With our local theater, we can either buy tickets at the ticket counter, on one of many kiosks in the theater, or just order online and reserve seats before hand. We usually do the latter, and just have the tickets scanned on our smartphone and head on in. We also have a credit card that gives points for the theater chain, we rack up a lot of points, so many times the tickets and concessions end up being free. And the food combo I buy also includes a free digital rental on the theater chain's website.

Old 08-09-23, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My AMC took out the kiosks leaving just the box office. At least the concessions are separate.

Regal was the only theater I used to go to that had concessions and tickets same counter. I think they had a kiosk but since I rarely went there I never bothered to check.
Old 08-09-23, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
With our local theater, we can either buy tickets at the ticket counter, on one of many kiosks in the theater, or just order online and reserve seats before hand. We usually do the latter, and just have the tickets scanned on our smartphone and head on in. We also have a credit card that gives points for the theater chain, we rack up a lot of points, so many times the tickets and concessions end up being free. And the food combo I buy also includes a free digital rental on the theater chain's website.
Perhaps the changes reflect the fact that old folks like me, who want to be able to walk into a movie theater or McDonalds and do our business by interacting with a person, not a computer, are dying out.
Old 08-09-23, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have never used a kiosk that was slower than dealing with a teenager when it comes to buying movie tickets. Pick the movie, pick the seats, run your card, take ticket. I certainly don’t need to talk to someone during this simple process.

Bur I also only go the Alamo now. I just show my phone to the server when they come to my table before the movie.
Old 08-09-23, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

I sat on the front row *once*
Same, Earnest Saves Christmas - I was young and it was someone's birthday party, even at that age I couldn't understand sitting in the front row. I did see No Way Home in row C at my AMC IMAX - it was close but perfectly fine imo. I'd say even row B wouldn't be a bad last case scenario. Row A however...why even bother.

In good news, the Seattle Cinerama will be reopening - purchased by the Seattle International Film Festival from Paul Allen's estate (after closing in 2020), it was approved for additional funding yesterday by the Seattle City Council, with additional funds expected by King County. It will have to be renamed, but this is fantastic news. My last film there was the Apocalypse Now anniversary release, my parents saw Alien there, went with my dad to both the 25th and 35th re-release of that one, Prequels, Gladiator, Return of the King, good memories.
Old 08-10-23, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,069 Likes on 848 Posts

Unrelated, but kind of? I noticed McDonalds is doing a thing and while it appears to be a Loki Season 2 tie-in, A Fifth Element meal better be an actual thing. 8.14.23

Old 08-10-23, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts

100% true...

I sat on the front row *once*
I think most of us try the front row as kids and then never go back. I guess the logic was no one tall could sit in front of you and block your view.

I recall Roger Ebert once responded to the comment "I love the front row!" with "More room for the rest of us!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.