Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Theaters

Old 03-12-23, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 513 Likes on 337 Posts
Re: Movie Theaters

I started going to the movies tons last year. My local theatre has big recliner seats in all 10 of their auditoriums, and I love being able to watch every movie laying down like I'm at home on the couch. My back and legs get so sore in the regular fold-down seats that I would barely go to the movies at all if that was my only option. Now, I'm so comfortable I'll go to see anything because I'm so comfortable.
Old 03-13-23, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
That's totally different than buying a theater just to close it.
Wait you think the church bought this theater to close it because it's a den of sin or something? Did I miss an article on this somewhere because yeah it sounds like just a real estate deal.
Old 03-13-23, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
So you're saying that people aren't complaining about others opening food wrappers, eating popcorn, and swirling ice in a drink? Talk about mundane things to complain about. And the ONLY one calling a "baby wailing through a good third of the feature" mundane, is you in the post you just made.
You seem to be misunderstanding my complaint about the ice in the drink. It wasn't someone just drinking normally, with the ice making noise occasionally. I'm saying this person sat there and made noise with his ice and plastic cup constantly through nearly the entire movie. Only time the noise stopped was when he was actually drinking. Occasional noise is fine and expected. Constant noise? I guess I don't find it mundane.

Just found out that the theater my family prefers closed down permanently, which is a drag. Hopefully someone else comes along and opens up another independent theater. Their prices were really affordable, staff was always super nice and helpful, and the theater itself reminded me a lot of the ones I went to as a child, only better.
Old 03-16-23, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 793 Likes on 644 Posts

I have not been to one in a long time but I heard now they serve Icees?

I wish they had them in the 80's and 90's.

Old 03-16-23, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I have not been to one in a long time but I heard now they serve Icees?

I wish they had them in the 80's and 90's.

At least the local AMCs have for a while, what is pictured is the best kind where you can get refills yourself (at least I think you can, if not I'll be sure to post a thread about it).

On a side note, I don't think any Target around me has reopened the icee machines.
Old 03-16-23, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 793 Likes on 644 Posts

That might be the case with every local 7-11 around here with their slurpee machines
Old 03-16-23, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 352 Likes on 266 Posts

The theater I worked at starting in 1991 got an Icee machine and kept it ever since, we got to drink it for free.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (03-16-23)
Old 04-11-23, 11:04 AM

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I mostly, mostly, mostly agree with you. However, and I think I've written about this somewhere here, our local AMC showtimes have been dismal since they reopened. No weeknight late shows. Barely any 7:00pm shows! It's all 6:00pm hour show times, what the heck?! I know it's hard to get staff, I know not as many people are there, and I know it's tough all around. But I have a family with young kids. I usually went to an 8:00pm or 9:00pm show after they were in bed. Do you really expect me to leave them at home with my spouse while I go spend $15 on 4 chicken strips that I have to show up 20 minutes early to be in line for?! It's like they're forcing concessions on people in our area, it's just weird!
No, it's a definite change in our area. I could ccould show that started between 8:00pm-9:30pm on any night of the week for years. It was the only time we'd see movies when the kids were really little. Work hard to get them to bed, go out afterward. I'd go one night, my wife would go the next.

Today's final showtimes at my local AMC? 6:45pm, 7:15pm, 6:40pm, 6:30pm, 7:00pm, and several Oscar contenders with one showing each just after 4:00pm so it's after matinee pricing time. But then Titanic 3D starts at 7:30pm. With trailers, that's going until at least 11:00pm. But they're only going to play a 1 hour 40 minute movie like Knock at the Cabin at 6:40pm but not squeeze in a late show at 9:00pm as well, even though staffing would basically be the same? I don't get that.
I have an exciting update. My local AMC has finally brought back late shows! It started this weekend with Super Mario Brothers, I think to maximize its showtimes. Nearly every movie has a late showtime option this week at 8:30pm, 8:45pm, even 9:15pm. Last night I was able to do dinner with my family, go to a Zoom meeting for work, and still catch the 8:45pm show of Air and be in bed by 11:15pm for the next day. I may sneak out to see at least another movie this week, I'm so thrilled by this change!
Crocker Jarmen (04-11-23)
Old 04-11-23, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool, I guess that means the crowds are finally coming back (or maybe they're just really behind the curve here)
story (04-11-23)
Old 04-13-23, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

https://www.regmovies.com/static/en/...e=movie_target

On April 29th, Regal is bringing back 4 movies in the Screen X format for 1 day only. For only $3 each

Spider-Man No Way Home 11:30am
Bohemian Rhapsody 3pm
Top Gun Maverick 6:30pm
The Batman 9:40pm

If you have all day available, it's only $12 total.

Old 04-14-23, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,096 Likes on 765 Posts

I have an exciting update. My local AMC has finally brought back late shows! It started this weekend with Super Mario Brothers, I think to maximize its showtimes. Nearly every movie has a late showtime option this week at 8:30pm, 8:45pm, even 9:15pm. Last night I was able to do dinner with my family, go to a Zoom meeting for work, and still catch the 8:45pm show of Air and be in bed by 11:15pm for the next day. I may sneak out to see at least another movie this week, I'm so thrilled by this change!
I feel your pain/joy. You and I share the same movie going strategy and my local AMC is the same deal, but I've seen this before. I don't know about where you are, but this past week was school vacation for us. The theater has consistently had later shows during vacation periods only to go back to "normal" the next week. However, I think we are almost officially in summer blockbuster season, and colleges are almost out, so this may stick until the fall when school is back in season. At least that's how it played out for us last year.

Edit: I just checked next week's schedule. There is an 8:30 show for Super Mario and Renfield (both 90 minutes), but otherwise nothing later than 8:00.

Last edited by rocket1312; 04-14-23 at 08:40 AM.
story (04-14-23)
Old 04-15-23, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

Regal to reopen Pasadena’s former ArcLight theater

The Regal cinema chain on Thursday said it will reopen Pasadena’s former ArcLight theater at the Paseo shopping center.

Regal has entered into a lease agreement with real estate firm Onni Group to operate the theater, the company said. The circuit did not specify a reopening date.

The news comes three years after the location — along with movie houses around the country — shut its doors as the COVID-19 pandemic hit.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...clight-theater

Old 04-17-23, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks like the $5 Regal mystery movie tonight was Sisu. I didn’t go, but people revealed it on Twitter.

It doesn’t open until the 28th.
Old 04-30-23, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk God

I went to the Regal $3 Screen X day tonight after work and saw Top Gun Maverick for a 5th time in theaters even though I already own it on 4K disc.

The auditorium was surprisingly pretty full for a movie that's almost 1 year old and is now on physical media and streaming. But hey I guess $3 will get some people out on a Saturday night.

This was the 1st time I've ever seen a movie in Screen X. Honestly, I didn't really care for it and found it kind of weird. The flight scenes have the added projection spots on the left and right side of the auditorium. So the sides only light up at certain points of the movie. But, it looks stretched. I know the intent is to try to make the movie have a more immersive experience, but It just didn't look right. I loved the movie and was fine only paying $3 for it tonight. But, I wouldn't pay the premium price of $20+ to see a blockbuster like this. I just didn't think it worked well and found it distracting.
Old 04-30-23, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Ewww would not like that at all. I wonder if they hoped Hollywood would develop a Screen X camera to actually film content for the left/right sides. Unless that happens, Screen X seems pointless.
Old 04-30-23, 09:51 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Everyone knows AMC and Arclight but has anyone here ever heard of Cinépolis? They’re opening one right down my street here in a couple of months.
Old 04-30-23, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Heard of them but never seen one.
Old 04-30-23, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by CristonCole
Everyone knows AMC and Arclight but has anyone here ever heard of Cinépolis? They’re opening one right down my street here in a couple of months.
They're out here but most are far away from me -- never been to one.
Old 04-30-23, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,096 Likes on 765 Posts

We have a Cinepolis. Was just there Friday night. They've got a bar and food service with lots of interesting (but expensive) food. I enjoy the experience overall, but don't go there as often as I do other theaters in the area for a variety of reasons.
Old 05-01-23, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CristonCole
I've been to one near where my cousin lives in New Jersey. Not too far from the only Fuddruckers I've seen in years.
Old 05-10-23, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

AMC Theatres plans to launch it's own candy label

AMC Theatres, we make candy better
IBJoel (05-10-23)
Old 05-10-23, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the last candy I got at a theater was Raisinettes. Or Whoppers. That was close to 20 years ago.
Old 05-10-23, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 518 Posts

Last candy I remember buying at a movie theater was a Zero Bar. That was ~55 years ago... and I bought it because it looked interesting and I'd not seen it in the grocery/dime stores.
Old 05-10-23, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This was the 1st time I've ever seen a movie in Screen X. Honestly, I didn't really care for it and found it kind of weird. The flight scenes have the added projection spots on the left and right side of the auditorium. So the sides only light up at certain points of the movie. But, it looks stretched. I know the intent is to try to make the movie have a more immersive experience, but It just didn't look right. I loved the movie and was fine only paying $3 for it tonight. But, I wouldn't pay the premium price of $20+ to see a blockbuster like this. I just didn't think it worked well and found it distracting.
I think Hollywood needs to cut-out the gimmicks like Screen-X and 3D and just pay the writers to write decent screenplays instead of trying to produce more hollow cinematic theme-park rides. It's a tough argument when these types of films keep earning over a billion dollars in world-wide revenue.
DJariya (05-10-23)
Old 05-10-23, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 352 Likes on 266 Posts

One thing I learned early on is never to buy food at the movie theater- as a kid my parents would never buy anything no matter how much I begged. I soon realized how overpriced it was and thought you had to be a real idiot to pay those prices, even working at a theater where most of my paycheck came from that I still felt people should just stay away from the snack bar until prices got more reasonable. They usually did thousands in business though so no reason to lower the prices as long as people are paying them. Come to think of it, I remember that I had never seen dumber people in my life until I started working at a theater also.

That said, if snack bar revenue is really that important they should come up with something new and special that you can't get anywhere else- that might actually sucker me in. Overcharging for the same crap I can get for a fraction elsewhere doesn't cut it though, I usually go to a real food place before or after the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.