Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Theaters

Old 03-07-23, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Movie Theaters

Originally Posted by Brian T
And of course, this is not what anyone in here is complaining about, let alone expecting, as far as I can see. But hey, I get it - most of my posts are tl:dr.
Of course it is what people are complaining about. You're saying that you know what you are getting into by going to the theater, yet are still complaining about the most mundane things that are known to occur at every movie theater.
Old 03-07-23, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

I will take my 8-year-old to the theater, as he does an awesome job keeping quiet during a movie, but it's pretty rare that I take my 5-year-old because he still struggles a bit. This past weekend, our local Flix Brewhouse had a family viewing of How to Train Your Dragon. Both my boys love that movie and I decided to take them since it was a family showing. What the theater didn't say is that they leave all of the lights up for the entire movie, including two can lights that shine directly onto the screen. During darker scenes, about a third of the screen was washed out to the point that you couldn't see anything going on. That's the last family viewing show we go to. I get needing to leave some lights up for a showing with small kids, but I can't imagine how they think it's a good idea to leave on lights that are shining directly onto the screen. It was bizarre.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (03-08-23)
Old 03-08-23, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Bet they didnít show it in 3D either. It sickens me that theaters dumb down shows meant for kids- I canít imagine if they had been doing that when I was a kid. (And the very first thing I remember about going was that I was supposed to STAY QUIET, and I did!)
Old 03-08-23, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
What the theater didn't say is that they leave all of the lights up for the entire movie, including two can lights that shine directly onto the screen. During darker scenes, about a third of the screen was washed out to the point that you couldn't see anything going on. That's the last family viewing show we go to. I get needing to leave some lights up for a showing with small kids, but I can't imagine how they think it's a good idea to leave on lights that are shining directly onto the screen. It was bizarre.
Since it wasn't announced before the movie started, I would've asked for my money back. If they want to leave lights on, that's their prerogative but the customer should be able to choose.
Old 03-08-23, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

I just try to be polite and respectful myself. Hell, if there are quiet scenes on I will actively sit there with popcorn already in my mouth without chomping.

Nothing worse than popcorn in a non-action movie. People munch on that shit for the ENTIRE movie sometimes.
Brian T (03-08-23)
Old 03-08-23, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 673 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Of course it is what people are complaining about. You're saying that you know what you are getting into by going to the theater, yet are still complaining about the most mundane things that are known to occur at every movie theater.
That's not what I'm saying. Guess my posts really are too long. There's "mundane", and then there's egregious and wilfully ignorant, which is what we're actually complaining about. Whatever, I've been in many theatrical settings where I haven't been annoyed by anything because the "mundane" things don't bother me at all, and the overall audience is good. I expect a small amount of noise. Who doesn't? But I'm afraid there are on occasion some people who go overboard, beyond the "mundane". Never knew a baby wailing through a good third of a feature before the parent finally steps into the hallway is "mundane" . . .
Old 03-08-23, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Since it wasn't announced before the movie started, I would've asked for my money back. If they want to leave lights on, that's their prerogative but the customer should be able to choose.
I dunno, once you tell your kid you're going to watch a movie then drag them there, I can kind of understand just going with it (if they're ok with the setup)
Old 03-08-23, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 825 Likes on 389 Posts

I would have said something to the staff about the lights shining on the screen.
Alan Smithee (03-09-23)
Old 03-08-23, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I dunno, once you tell your kid you're going to watch a movie then drag them there, I can kind of understand just going with it (if they're ok with the setup)
Yep. After I asked the staff and they said it was policy to leave all the lights up during family showings, I asked my boys if they wanted to leave because of it and they both still wanted to stay. I was tempted to leave anyway and take them to something else, but we'd already ordered and paid for food and I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to get our money back for both food and tickets with them in tow. I did send a polite-ish email to the chain afterwards, letting them know it was an incredibly terrible way to screen a movie.
Old 03-08-23, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Back in the day, was on vacation when one of the Star Wars OT sequels came out. Had the kids but the only seats left was in the front row (which I hate). Instead of waiting for the next showing, bit the bullet and watched it. But we did see it again properly later.
Old 03-08-23, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's not what I'm saying. Guess my posts really are too long. There's "mundane", and then there's egregious and wilfully ignorant, which is what we're actually complaining about. Whatever, I've been in many theatrical settings where I haven't been annoyed by anything because the "mundane" things don't bother me at all, and the overall audience is good. I expect a small amount of noise. Who doesn't? But I'm afraid there are on occasion some people who go overboard, beyond the "mundane". Never knew a baby wailing through a good third of a feature before the parent finally steps into the hallway is "mundane" . . .
So you're saying that people aren't complaining about others opening food wrappers, eating popcorn, and swirling ice in a drink? Talk about mundane things to complain about. And the ONLY one calling a "baby wailing through a good third of the feature" mundane, is you in the post you just made.
Old 03-08-23, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So you're saying that people aren't complaining about people opening food wrappers, eating popcorn, and swirling ice in a drink? Talk about mundane things to complain about. And the ONLY one mentioning a "baby wailing through a good third of the feature" and mundane in the same sentence, is you in the post you just made.
Old 03-10-23, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 379 Posts

I stopped going to the theater because they are so loud that I can't hear the person I am trying to have a conversation with while the movie is playing.
The following 3 users liked this post by stvn1974:
Brian T (03-11-23), Throwing Copper (03-11-23), Toby Dramit (03-10-23)
Old 03-11-23, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 841 Likes on 619 Posts

They just announced that the movie theater in my home town has been purchased by a church. It sounds like they're most likely going to close. As I said earlier, I haven't been in three years, but I hate it for my hometown. There's going to be nothing to do for entertainment and you'd have to drive 30 minutes to Cookeville or 45 minutes to Knoxville to watch a movie. They posted this on their facebook today: A joint statement from Rocky Top 10 and Rev Church: Theater management and Rev Church are discussing plans for the future. More details will unfold in the coming months. Thank you for your support!
Old 03-11-23, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 673 Likes on 496 Posts

So you're saying that people aren't complaining about people opening food wrappers, eating popcorn, and swirling ice in a drink? Talk about mundane things to complain about.
You know what weíre talking about, and itís absolutely not the Ďmundane,í respectful version of those activities. Believe it or not, and despite your experience, some people occasionally make asses of themselves and annoy multiple people around them. Itís a thing. And, sometimes, it doesnít happen at all. Thatís a thing, too.

But again, whatever. Itís evident that any amount of noise and distraction is acceptable to you inside a theatre, apparently even when it occurs right nearby you. Have at it. Free country, and so on.

And the ONLY one mentioning a "baby wailing through a good third of the feature" and mundane in the same sentence, is you in the post you just made.
I called a baby wailing through a good third of the feature mundane? You really read it that way?

Last edited by Brian T; 03-11-23 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-11-23, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 777 Likes on 633 Posts

One theater owner in Connecticut who closed his theater complained of people going into Best Buy and buying 70" TVs which hurt his business.

Old 03-11-23, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 679 Likes on 528 Posts

Truth be told, I've never felt the communal experience of going to the movie theater. I could easily go with a group or alone (and I mostly do the latter). For me the only reason to go to the cinema is to experience a particular feature in a location that has far better AV equipment than I can afford. Otherwise, I'll wait to watch it at home (also typically alone).
JeffTheAlpaca (03-12-23)
Old 03-11-23, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lwhy?
They just announced that the movie theater in my home town has been purchased by a church. It sounds like they're most likely going to close. As I said earlier, I haven't been in three years, but I hate it for my hometown. There's going to be nothing to do for entertainment and you'd have to drive 30 minutes to Cookeville or 45 minutes to Knoxville to watch a movie. They posted this on their facebook today: A joint statement from Rocky Top 10 and Rev Church: Theater management and Rev Church are discussing plans for the future. More details will unfold in the coming months. Thank you for your support!
If I was a member of that church I'd be ticked off that their money was wasted like that. Unless the theater cost $1, which I doubt.
Old 03-11-23, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,069 Likes on 745 Posts

If I was a member of that church I'd be ticked off that their money was wasted like that. Unless the theater cost $1, which I doubt.
Huh? Churches buy movie theaters so that they can hold services inside the movie theater. It's actually pretty common.
Old 03-12-23, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Huh? Churches buy movie theaters so that they can hold services inside the movie theater. It's actually pretty common.
That's totally different than buying a theater just to close it.
Old 03-12-23, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,069 Likes on 745 Posts

That's totally different than buying a theater just to close it.
I assume they're buying the theater so they can own it and use it how they'd like and not have to run a movie a theater.
Old 03-12-23, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I assume they're buying the theater so they can own it and use it how they'd like and not have to run a movie a theater.
The big arthouse movie theater (The Tivoli) in St Louis, where I saw all the ďgoodĒ films over the years, got bought out by a church.

Still not showing movies there. A major blow to the city and the arts.
Abob Teff (04-11-23)
Old 03-12-23, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know what we’re talking about, and it’s absolutely not the ‘mundane,’ respectful version of those activities. Believe it or not, and despite your experience, some people occasionally make asses of themselves and annoy multiple people around them. It’s a thing. And, sometimes, it doesn’t happen at all. That’s a thing, too.

But again, whatever. It’s evident that any amount of noise and distraction is acceptable to you inside a theatre, apparently even when it occurs right nearby you. Have at it. Free country, and so on.
If that's you're takeaway from the last few pages of the thread, clearly the thread is tool long for you as you didn't read it.

I called a baby wailing through a good third of the feature mundane? You really read it that way?
If that's what you think I wrote, perhaps YOU should read it again.
Old 03-12-23, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 379 Posts

I haven't been to the theater since the turd The Rise Of Skywalker. I live out in the middle of nowhere and the theater that was about 20 minutes away closed right after that turd came out. The owner died and his kids decided to just close it instead of dealing with it. Now if I want to see a movie I have to drive 45 minutes away and sell an organ. The old theater was $2.50 for matinees. It helps that most of the movies released recently don't seem interesting enough to bother with.
Old 03-12-23, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,089 Posts

The only thing I like about theaters at this point is seeing new movies right now. I already miss the day-and-date practice during the pandemic. That has been my dream.

It costs at least $20 for my wife and I just to get tickets. Over $40 for my family. Iíd happily pay $50-60 to see a movie at home opening weekend and own it afterwards. That finally became a reality - gone too soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.