Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Matrix Resurrections?
2.08%
2.08%
14.58%
25.00%
20.83%
16.67%
14.58%
2.08%
0%
0%
0%
Not interested
2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 01-08-22, 11:11 AM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Reboot the whole thing as an HBO Max series. I'd rather have more Tron, but Disney isn't doing anything with that.
Old 01-08-22, 11:14 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yeah, limited budgets seem to help with creativity. Though in 1999, $63m was still a pretty hefty budget on an unknown commodity.

Even Star Wars Episode I only had a $115m budget and The World is Not Enough was the most expensive of the year at $135m.
To me The Matrix and Bound are their best efforts.
It is not really about the budget but how the money is spent. The Burly Brawl seems like it was a late add, because the CGI is awful.
It feels that because of the budget they had to add unnecessary things to the movies.
Old 01-08-22, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney2187 View Post
Reboot the whole thing as an HBO Max series. I'd rather have more Tron, but Disney isn't doing anything with that.
I believe that something is coming for Tron on Disney+.
The Matrix as a series was be great, giving them the ability to focus on and build up other characters.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (01-08-22)
Old 01-08-22, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
here we go... those of us who didn't like it must mean that we are stupid misogynistic cretins.
Did somebody post and delete something? Right now it looks like you're shouting at clouds
Old 01-08-22, 12:23 PM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
I believe that something is coming for Tron on Disney+.
The Matrix as a series was be great, giving them the ability to focus on and build up other characters.
They could go so much deeper with the the symbolism, psychology, and character arcs, not to mention fight scenes and special effects.
Old 01-08-22, 12:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts

Did somebody post and delete something? Right now it looks like you're shouting at clouds
Yeah nobody is saying you can't not like the movie for whatever reason you want. What's pathetic, to m anyway, is 'fans' who feel like they were owed a specific type of experience, and since they didn't get it, they think the studio should just reboot it, make a mini series, or do ANYTHING to show Wachowski what a mistake her movie based on her own characters was. It's fine if people don't like where it went. It's not FOR them. But there's an obsession with IPs and Franchises and Fan Service among online communities that's just really fucking weird, and The Matrix is no exception.
Kurt D (01-08-22)
Old 01-08-22, 03:17 PM

That already happened with the Animatrix.
Old 01-09-22, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Overall, it felt like a totally unnecessary continuance of a story that didn’t need to be continued. Not much new was added to the overall story and it felt like nothing new was brought to the series with this new movie. There really is nothing memorable about it. It’s just…there.
That's exactly how I and many feel about Reloaded and Revolutions. They should have never been made.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sonic:
Spiderbite (01-09-22), TGM (01-09-22)
Old 01-10-22, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 662 Likes on 453 Posts

It's too long by 1/2 hour, but I liked it better the 2nd time around, so I'll bump it up to 3.75/5.
It's unwieldy because Lana et al were trying to do a whole lot in one movie - a meta reboot that both indicts and hopes to rehabilitate its fandom. So, points for ambition! The action was indeed static compared to the first, which is too bad, but I appreciated the ultimate reinforcement of the message.
Old 01-11-22, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,030 Likes on 798 Posts

Finally watched this, before it got taken off of Max. My intent was to refresh my memory by watching the third Matrix movie first (since I don't remember anything about it) but was running out of time.

Ok, someone has to explain the plot to me like I'm OldBoy (j/k) because I have no idea what the heck it was supposed to be. As others said, the initial, meta stuff I get, that was pretty cool. I can even buy that Bug goes back and risks all this crap to get Neo because of what he means to her and others, and not for any bigger reason.

So Niobe balks at them wanting to risk stuff again and go get Trinity. But Sari comes in and says wait a second, the Analyst left himself wide open by not killing Trinity right away. So I came away from that thinking like there's a bigger plan here, freeing Trinity would get them something: I mean Niobe changes her mind and sends her forces.

But no, the goal is still... saving Trinity. What?

They go in knowing the Analyst can basically stop time and neuter Neo. Neo comes into that coffeeshop offering a deal, let Trinity choose. Analyst asked why should he accept this deal when they could just pull the plug on Neo instead of give him up. Neo responds something like he will be true to his word and he knows the Analyst will be true to his word, and then a bunch of his allies walk into the coffee shop vastly outnumbered. What the hell was their plan here? They were going to spirit away Trinity's physical body (with some nonsense about Bug taking her place which seemed like a cut plotline because it lasted for like 5 seconds), but they had no guarantee the Analyst wasn't going to attack them and in fact when Trinity does choose Neo the Analyst... attacks him. Agent Smith's timely appearance and deus ex machina powers were all that stopped him. In addition, they were going to pull Neo's plug if he couldn't get away anyway! And how was the Analyst supposed to get Neo's body back (which is what he needed for power) even if he captured him in the Matrix? How were the humans coming into the coffeeshop supposed to be any kind of guarantee of anything?

Then we have like hundreds of actual real live people being turned into a swarm and getting shot up and dropping off buildings, and I'm supposed to root for the good guys shooting them up? I mean these are real people, right? Like actual live humans dying left and right. And if Io's mission was no longer to free people from the matrix, how did Bug get free anyway, since she was obviously freed fairly recently. Are they still freeing people or not?

What was the risk to Io?

Also if you know the goal is Trinity's physical body and that freeing her mind alone would do nothing... maybe post like a guard or two where her physical body is?
Old 01-11-22, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Received 483 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Finally watched this, before it got taken off of Max. My intent was to refresh my memory by watching the third Matrix movie first (since I don't remember anything about it) but was running out of time.

Ok, someone has to explain the plot to me like I'm OldBoy (j/k) because I have no idea what the heck it was supposed to be. As others said, the initial, meta stuff I get, that was pretty cool. I can even buy that Bug goes back and risks all this crap to get Neo because of what he means to her and others, and not for any bigger reason.

So Niobe balks at them wanting to risk stuff again and go get Trinity. But Sari comes in and says wait a second, the Analyst left himself wide open by not killing Trinity right away. So I came away from that thinking like there's a bigger plan here, freeing Trinity would get them something: I mean Niobe changes her mind and sends her forces.

But no, the goal is still... saving Trinity. What?

They go in knowing the Analyst can basically stop time and neuter Neo. Neo comes into that coffeeshop offering a deal, let Trinity choose. Analyst asked why should he accept this deal when they could just pull the plug on Neo instead of give him up. Neo responds something like he will be true to his word and he knows the Analyst will be true to his word, and then a bunch of his allies walk into the coffee shop vastly outnumbered. What the hell was their plan here? They were going to spirit away Trinity's physical body (with some nonsense about Bug taking her place which seemed like a cut plotline because it lasted for like 5 seconds), but they had no guarantee the Analyst wasn't going to attack them and in fact when Trinity does choose Neo the Analyst... attacks him. Agent Smith's timely appearance and deus ex machina powers were all that stopped him. In addition, they were going to pull Neo's plug if he couldn't get away anyway! And how was the Analyst supposed to get Neo's body back (which is what he needed for power) even if he captured him in the Matrix? How were the humans coming into the coffeeshop supposed to be any kind of guarantee of anything?

What was the risk to Io?

Also if you know the goal is Trinity's physical body and that freeing her mind alone would do nothing... maybe post like a guard or two where her physical body is?
A lot of the Analyst's actions are a result of his overconfidence in his understanding of humans and control over the world he's made. The main point is that he represents white cis male and material control of the world, which is most often narcissistic and unable to empathize with/understand elements outside of its own culture.

The agreement between Neo and the Analyst is a metaphor for acceptance of a mundane, unfulfilling life and risk involved in creating pursuing something more abstract and meaningful (human connection, the divine, etc)

Trinity remaining plugged into the Matrix gives the machines one half of the dualism that they used to create this version of the Matrix. So without her, they lose a significant source of power, control, and experimentation. The humans' gain is more symbolic. Neo is not complete without her.

Bugs standing in for Trinity was either to avoid detection that Trinity was taken or to ease the "unplugging" from the machine city. I agree that wasn't super clear, although I think it was to sort of get into the spirit/body syncretism/reincarnation stuff the Wachowskis are into.

The risk for IO is being discovered by the machines, as Niobe just wants to lay low, let the Matrix be, and develop human society in the real world.

As for this...
Then we have like hundreds of actual real live people being turned into a swarm and getting shot up and dropping off buildings, and I'm supposed to root for the good guys shooting them up? I mean these are real people, right? Like actual live humans dying left and right.
It's stated that the swarm is made entirely of bots, who populate the Matrix en masse and function as "covert" Agents.

Sorry if this still doesn't make sense, I was doing a lot of stream of consciousness writing and trying to remember everything in the movie, which I've only watched once so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Brack (01-11-22), Dan (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 02:01 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
A lot of the Analyst's actions are a result of his overconfidence in his understanding of humans and control over the world he's made. The main point is that he represents white cis male and material control of the world, which is most often narcissistic and unable to empathize with/understand elements outside of its own culture.

The agreement between Neo and the Analyst is a metaphor for acceptance of a mundane, unfulfilling life and risk involved in creating pursuing something more abstract and meaningful (human connection, the divine, etc)

Trinity remaining plugged into the Matrix gives the machines one half of the dualism that they used to create this version of the Matrix. So without her, they lose a significant source of power, control, and experimentation. The humans' gain is more symbolic. Neo is not complete without her.

Bugs standing in for Trinity was either to avoid detection that Trinity was taken or to ease the "unplugging" from the machine city. I agree that wasn't super clear, although I think it was to sort of get into the spirit/body syncretism/reincarnation stuff the Wachowskis are into.

The risk for IO is being discovered by the machines, as Niobe just wants to lay low, let the Matrix be, and develop human society in the real world.

As for this...

It's stated that the swarm is made entirely of bots, who populate the Matrix en masse and function as "covert" Agents.

Sorry if this still doesn't make sense, I was doing a lot of stream of consciousness writing and trying to remember everything in the movie, which I've only watched once so far.
I think your reply is on point.
Old 01-12-22, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts

I thought the movie was entertaining for what it was. I admit I’ve seen the original in the last few years but the second only when it was new, and I don’t think I ever bothered with the third one. I liked seeing Neo and Trinity again, and the callouts to what happened earlier, and I don’t feel it got too heavy into the mumbo jumbo to the point where I might’ve felt bogged down. And the scene where the bots turned into bombs was pretty cool. I’d give it 7.5/10.
Old 01-12-22, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,030 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post

As for this...

Thanks for the reply, everything you said makes sense.

I still don't get why Niobe was convinced by Sari's explanation to save Trinity, enough to do an about face on her previous position. Also at no time did it feel like Io was in danger because of their actions, which is why it felt like a disconnect... I realize Niobewas dedicated to making Io prosper, even kinda giving up on freeing the rest of mankind in favor of that, it just seemed like we didn't really see the risk when she assigned the captains to the mission.

About the swarm, I was a little confused by that as well, though I remember the explanation. I think what confused me is Agent Smith taking over some random guy's body... that guy was a real human, right? Having that scene right before the mass murder of all the bots kind of made it seem to me like all of these guys were real humans similarly taken over.
Old 01-17-22, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts

Why did the machine's fix Neo's eyes when they just needed him to be stuck in a pod for the rest of his life?
Old 01-17-22, 01:19 AM

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Why did the machine's fix Neo's eyes when they just needed him to be stuck in a pod for the rest of his life?
They fixed everything else, so wyh stop at the eyes? Or better asked, honestly that's what's bugging you?
IBJoel (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

Sounds like that was... an oversight.

JeremyM (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like that was... an oversight.
I see what you did there.
tanman (02-10-22)
Old 01-18-22, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
I see what you did there.
I don't see it. Maybe I'm being myopic about it.

Also this movie was terrible.
T-bone22 (01-19-22)
Old 01-19-22, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 605 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I don't see it. Maybe I'm being myopic about it.
They were talking about Neo's eyes being an oversight.
tanman (02-10-22)
Old 01-19-22, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 222 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
They were talking about Neo's eyes being an oversight.

The following 2 users liked this post by T-bone22:
story (01-19-22), tanman (02-10-22)
Old 02-07-22, 01:33 PM

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/02/vi...ns-1234697054/

Village Roadshow Sues HBO Max Over ‘Matrix Resurrections’ Release

Old 02-07-22, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/02/vi...ns-1234697054/

Village Roadshow Sues HBO Max Over ‘Matrix Resurrections’ Release

Like it would've done way better with a theatrical-only release.

Old 02-09-22, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

the main difference is it would have tanked in theaters only. This should not have been made.
candyrocket786 (02-09-22)