Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Matrix Resurrections?
2.08%
2.08%
14.58%
25.00%
20.83%
16.67%
14.58%
2.08%
0%
0%
0%
Not interested
2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 01-02-22, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

who would have guessed this thread would slip to page two a couple of weeks after release? Speaks volumes about the film being a dud.
Old 01-02-22, 07:55 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
who would have guessed this thread would slip to page two a couple of weeks after release? Speaks volumes about the film being a dud.
It should have been called The Matrix: Recycled.
The following users liked this post:
TGM (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Received 484 Likes on 306 Posts

I thought it was interesting and I definitely want to watch it again. The Wachowskis are big into Vedic philosophy and one of its defining elements is the cyclical nature of existence. Stories repeat, so that part is on purpose and a key point of the movie. I appreciated the game dev discussions of the different interpretations of the original Matrix (trans allegory and anti-capitalism were among them).

We really do get trapped in these cycles in our lives that become comfortable, despite the structures involved in them causing us discomfort and it does seem like the way society has evolved over the past 20 years has reenforced that mentality. The film definitely had a few more shades of They Live than the originals.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Brack (01-02-22), Kurt D (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Received 484 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
Perhaps the Wahcowski brothers/sisters arenít as great as everyone thought?

Almost seems like they have some great ideas but maybe not anyone to bring those home. Maybe better screenwriters or something.
I actually think they're simply working with philosophy that is not mainstream in Western cinema, which don't gel with the general public's sensibilities. I'd love to see a large-scale poll of what the nation of India thinks of their work.

Now that said, I definitely think there can be debate on how they convey those ideas to audiences who aren't familiar with Vedic traditions and thought.
Old 01-02-22, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
In basic premise or? Because I thought it was adventurously different. I expected to relive the same beats with an enthralling finale that never really happened. This played like an Animatrix story with Neo and Trinity forced in.
Dan (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 10:51 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts

I read a good piece by the director of Archenemy and Daniel Isn't Real about this flick, and how Lana was going for an anti-aesthetic vibe. I kinda get what he was saying, but without Wachowski confirming one way or the other, it's hard to say if that guy is right. I'll see if I can find a link again...

Either way, it's interesting to me that people seem to hate it so much. I watched it twice and my opinion of it went up, not down. I'll rewatch again when I can buy the 4K disc.

​​​​​​Stealth edit:
https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...egypt-mortimer
Old 01-02-22, 11:00 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
If you thought the action choreography and the writing wasn't subpar, you might need to see more movies lol.

Don't ask for opposite opinions and then dismiss them as basically saying 'no your opposite opinion is wrong'.
Subpar how? I never asked for opposite opinions, what are you going on about?
Old 01-03-22, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Huh. I liked it more than the sequels.
Brack (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 05:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Huh. I liked it more than the sequels.
a snuff film starring my beloved mee maw would be better than the sequels.
Spiderbite (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 05:05 AM

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Either way, it's interesting to me that people seem to hate it so much. I watched it twice and my opinion of it went up, not down. I'll rewatch again when I can buy the 4K disc.
I haven't watched it again yet, but I can see how it is better on 2nd watching since you know what you're in for.
The movie isn't a continuation of the Matrix it's a deconstruction of everything, including the Matrix, Hollywood, society, politics...
Old 01-04-22, 06:32 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
That said, I DO wonder if both Larry Fishburne and Hugo Weaving were offered parts, read the script, and said "thanks, but no thanks."
I read an interview with Fishburne where he said he was never asked to be apart of it. He sounded kind of pissed about it.
Old 01-04-22, 07:17 AM

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I've read Fishburne was never considered, which is fine by me, considering this version of Morpheus. Hugo Weaving actually was asked, but couldn't make time.
Old 01-04-22, 08:50 AM

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
It would have made sense, plot-wise too lol

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Subpar how? I never asked for opposite opinions, what are you going on about?
When you said
Originally Posted by Brack View Post
To the people who really disliked it, what did you want?
, didn't realize it was a rhetorical question, my mistake I guess.

Subpar in that The Matrix (and the 2 sequels) was (and maybe still is) held on a pedestal of action cinematography, and this movie had bland action scenes throughout. Not one action scene sticks out, at least the sequels had that. I watched the movie a couple weeks ago, and I don't remember much of the dialogue besides the overly-meta boardroom meeting and NPH BULLET TIME speech.

Compare that to the first movie, especially with Morpheus and/or Smith.

If they were going for a meta/expectations averting experience, that's fine. I also kind of understand that. I'm not the one upset that the action scenes didn't have good wire work, or 'guns on guns on guns'. But what they gave us was not a good cinematic experience.
Old 01-04-22, 09:50 AM

I

If they were going for a meta/expectations averting experience, that's fine. I also kind of understand that. I'm not the one upset that the action scenes didn't have good wire work, or 'guns on guns on guns'. But what they gave us was not a good cinematic experience.
And that is it, it is not a good experience. It was just stale.
Old 01-04-22, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 485 Posts

The First Matrix is held on a pedestal of action choreography and general cinematography - Nothing stood out about the sequels, it didn't help that Reloaded had that horrible CG orgy of a Smith's fight pretty early on, but they too had good cinematography albeit with less than impressive action mixed in.

I liked Resurrections for what it was, but I do agree it was completely lacking in visual style, which is something The Matrix built its name on.
Old 01-04-22, 07:37 PM

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The First Matrix is held on a pedestal of action choreography and general cinematography - Nothing stood out about the sequels, it didn't help that Reloaded had that horrible CG orgy of a Smith's fight pretty early on, but they too had good cinematography albeit with less than impressive action mixed in.

I liked Resurrections for what it was, but I do agree it was completely lacking in visual style, which is something The Matrix built its name on.
I'm not a big fan of the sequels, but I thought the exiles fight, and the freeway action set piece are top-notch.
Old 01-08-22, 12:06 AM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched this tonight. Decent fan of the trilogy, saw the 2nd and third in theaters. Felt 1st and 2nd were best, 3rd kind of turning into more of just an action film.

I thought this movie was pretty damn good. I thought it used the past series knowledge in a very unique way as presented by Neo's character being a video game designer. I liked the idea of the power of a relationship and most importantly to robots, feelings being something they try to control manage, but truly do not comprehend. I felt a lot of the writing was subtle nods at current/present day life, with a lot of people finding it much easier to take the easy route/be complacent in life.

Didn't read up on the premise prior to watching so went into it fully blind. Shocked to see it's got such a poor rating on imdb. I suspect this is like Ghostbusters a few years back when people got upset they made another one. People need to realize they don't own a series/fiction/movie franchise. This movie did the trilogy justice. Not sure how fans of the originals would dislike this so much.

8/10
Old 01-08-22, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid View Post
Not sure how fans of the originals would dislike this so much.

8/10

Old 01-08-22, 06:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lipid View Post
. People need to realize they don't own a series/fiction/movie franchise. This movie did the trilogy justice.
8/10
1000% agreed. Fandoms are pathetic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan:
Brack (01-10-22), IBJoel (01-08-22)
Old 01-08-22, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
1000% agreed. Fandoms are pathetic.
right.......

...and yet these properties did extremely well.
Spiderman- No Way Home
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Cobra Kai Season 4

Old 01-08-22, 09:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Congrats on missing the point.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan:
Bob_Bobbson (04-17-22), Brack (01-10-22)
Old 01-08-22, 10:32 AM

I'm not a big fan of the sequels, but I thought the exiles fight, and the freeway action set piece are top-notch.
I always thought that The Matrix was an idea that got out of control. A small budget hit, that had more money thrown at it. They then needed to justify those dollars by making things bigger then they needed to.
They
Old 01-08-22, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 485 Posts

Yeah, limited budgets seem to help with creativity. Though in 1999, $63m was still a pretty hefty budget on an unknown commodity.

Even Star Wars Episode I only had a $115m budget and The World is Not Enough was the most expensive of the year at $135m.
IBJoel (01-08-22)
Old 01-08-22, 10:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

here we go... those of us who didn't like it must mean that we are stupid misogynistic cretins.
Old 01-08-22, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,517 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The other Wachowski sister decided to opt out.

This statement makes so much more sense after seeing the movie. It sounds like Lilly realized the new movie was just going to be a warmed over rehash of the original and is a completely unnecessary addition to the series.

That being said, I didnít hate this as much as others. The meta stuff didnít bother me nearly as much as I thought it would, and for the most part actually worked within the story.

I appreciated that this movie wasnít so far up its own ass like the two sequels and seemed like the filmmakers scaled back on the pretentious philosophical bullshit that bogged down the last couple of movies. I also thought Jada Pinkett Smithís old age make-up was really well done.

Overall, it felt like a totally unnecessary continuance of a story that didnít need to be continued. Not much new was added to the overall story and it felt like nothing new was brought to the series with this new movie. There really is nothing memorable about it. Itís justÖthere.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.