Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Spider-Man: No Way Home?
28.00%
32.00%
26.67%
10.67%
1.33%
1.33%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Don't care. No interest
0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 12-18-21, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Not everyone has seen What If? yet. There's an evil Dr Strange in that?
I wouldn't call him "evil"
Old 12-18-21, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 692 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Saw it with my girlfriend tonight and got back about half an hour ago. I feel like I don’t have a ton to really add to the discussion.

Overall I loved it. The film has so much going on and it could have easily felt over-stuffed, but it really worked out well. Very well balanced with all the characters and storylines going on.

I think most of us were counting on Maguire and Garfield to show up. So while not entirely unexpected it was still awesome when they showed up on screen. Loved the interaction between the three Spider-Men.

Liked seeing all the villains and the plot involving them was interesting. Liked how it wasn’t typical villains creating havoc and some big battle at the end, but wound up being the Spider-Men helping to cure them and get them back to their proper universes.

I was expecting an impactful death, but was more expecting Happy over Aunt May. Also the ending with no one knowing who Peter is will be interesting going forward.

Definitely one of the best MCU films to date in my opinion, and the best since at least Endgame. It’s been a little while since I’ve really loved an MCU film or series, and I was feeling a bit of burnout, but this movie was absolutely fantastic.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-19-21 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-18-21, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 646 Likes on 502 Posts

I enjoyed it a lot It was some Endgame level hijinks. I forgot how strong Goblin was with his serum and all and Dafoe hit it out of the park with the dual personalities. Hell, so did Alfred Molina. You actually cared for the good guys and the bad guys. It was funny that there was only five of them. Sinister Five instead of the Sinister Six since they only mentioned a Russian in a Rhino suit and Vulture got left out.

I did think that some of the Lizard and Sandman CGI was shitty. I also hated the Venom mid-credit cameo that led up to nothing after being teased in Venom 2's mid-credit sequence. It was whack. Venom coming through the alternate-verse would have completed the Sinister Six group, too. The Doctor Strange 2 "trailer" was fine.

I think it was funny that the father sitting next to me a seat over had to tell his younger son who Toby MacGuire and Andrew Garfield were since it seemed evident that the son only knew Tom Holland's Spider-Man and not the previous incarnations. Cool moments were being formed there since I'm sure that father was my age twenty and ten years ago when MaGauire and Garfield were Spider-Man.

Old 12-18-21, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 0073735963 View Post
Awesome movie! Wow. So many huge cheers that made it great to be in a theatre. Murdock, Osborn meme quote, science room spider pointing meme…and holy shit at the cheers for Garfield and then Maguire. And Garfield saving MJ.

Not a nitpick, just trying to understand: so the baddies were flashed to MCU prime right before their moments of being killed etc (as we remember them), but the spidey’s were flashed from later points in their lives. The goal was to cure the baddies and have them return and hopefully explain to the spideys (about to kill them) to not kill them anymore? Or am I thinking about it too much. lol.
And wouldn't that create a time paradox of some sort. If Norman Osborne never died, then Spider-Man 2 and 3 would no longer have happened the way they did and Harry Osborne would still be alive, but Tobey Maquire Spider-Man in this movie references his death. So when the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man goes back to his universe and time, that version of him would no longer exist.
Old 12-19-21, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
And wouldn't that create a time paradox of some sort. If Norman Osborne never died, then Spider-Man 2 and 3 would no longer have happened the way they did and Harry Osborne would still be alive, but Tobey Maquire Spider-Man in this movie references his death. So when the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man goes back to his universe and time, that version of him would no longer exist.
I felt that Norman showing up only confirms what I thought about his death in the original film. That he didn't actually die, he even met the same fate in the comics and survived.
Old 12-19-21, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,864 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Forget those paradoxes, even if everyone forgets Peter Parker, he’s still on the cover of People and US Weekly. Won’t that remind people once again? Last week’s newspaper will still exist.

I really enjoyed it. Thought it was a lot of fun and pulled off a pretty impressive high wire juggling trick quite seamlessly. It was 2.5 hours long but just flew by.
That said I am pretty surprised that it ended almost exactly like my all-time favorite movie, Heaven Can Wait. I almost expected MJ to ask Peter if he was the quarterback.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by zero View Post
I felt that Norman showing up only confirms what I thought about his death in the original film. That he didn't actually die, he even met the same fate in the comics and survived.
and depending on what point Eleckto was taken and sent back could mean that Gwen Stacy never died as well.
zero (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 557 Posts

Did anyone else catch the nod/diss at DC Comics with Flash Thompson’s book being called Flashpoint?
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
Shannon Nutt (12-20-21), tanman (12-21-21)
Old 12-19-21, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Pretty cool seeing all 3 Spiderman actors together, although it was obvious we'd see that the moment a villain from one of the other movies showed up.

I think I liked the Daredevil cameo the best
IBJoel (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

Spider-Man: No Way Home (PG-13) - The most densely-packed Marvel movie to date, a complete and utterly amazing experience that requires, nay, demands a revisitation of past web-slinging adventures.

Okay, up front. I can only go so far, basically what most folks know from the trailers, when describing this truly spectacular addition to Marvel and specifically SPIDER-MAN lore. So that means, well, the review will be a bit shorter than usual.

Marvel (and Sony with the last Venom chapter) are firing on all cylinders right now. If you HAVE NOT watched Loki, the Dr. Strange episodes of “What If” and “Wandavison”, get thee to a Disney+ subscription soon, as everything that happens in NO WAY HOME and these excellent TV shows will be bearing Marvel fan fruit through at least 2022, and perhaps beyond.

Part of the “secret” of the most excellent NO WAY HOME is that we cannot even mention the entire cast list, unless you decide to spoil things through IMDB.com. I ain’t doing it here. Let’s just say that director Jon Watts (from the previous Tom Holland Spider-Man movies) has struck literally the perfect cord with NO WAY HOME, with returning main cast members Holland, Zendaya, Jacob Batalon, Benedict Cumberbatch, Benedict Wong, Jon Favreau and Marisa Tomei. The remaining cast from, uh, other Spider-Man adventures, are equally as impressive and make this one of the most special Marvel/Sony collaborations.

Plot in a nutshell (as seen in the trailers) - Peter has been exposed as Spider-Man by J. Jonah Jameson (the alway funny and reliable J. K. Simmons) after the events of “Spider-Man: Far From Home”, in the aftermath of Mysterio’s Stark-tech enabled attacks in Europe. Peter seeks out Dr. Strange in an effort to have the “world” forget that Peter is actually Spider-Man. Of course, Peter starts throwing out requests to modify the spell as Strange is casting it, and everything goes sideways.

As we already know, villains from the Spider-Man movies dating back to 2002 start showing up in Holland’s Spider-Man universe, and it is up to Peter, M.J., Ned and other “allies” to help correct the unstable Multiverse event that Peter has created. And gotta stop right there.

There really is NO WAY at all in going into plot points without absolutely shattering the incredible secrets and surprises this movie has in store for true believers. At least four or five times, the audience at my screening were shouting and applauding at one spectacular reveal after another. And seriously, I cannot think of a thing I would change about what has been accomplished here. “Spider-Man: No Way Home” is an absolute 5 out of 5 lightsabers from me, and I am hoping a lot of the imagination and scenarios hinted at in No Way Home are expanded on in “Madness of the Multiverse”, coming from Marvel in the next year.

NOTES TO PARENTS (MILD SPOILERS): “Spider-Man: No Way Home” is rated PG-13 for some suggestive language and, of course, maximum dimension-ripping comic book action. “S***, d***, a**, and a couple of other milder words are heard, but no F-bombs. There’s some amusing talk about, uh, webbing creation that can be interpreted as slightly sexual. There are unfortunate casualties during some of Peter’s encounters with classic villains from other universes. A couple of those villains can be a little unsettling for the uninitiated.

MID AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: Mid-credit scene - A couple of characters seen recently in other Sony/Marvel collaborations try to wrap their brain(s) around the concept of various aliens and a certain infamous 5-year gap. After-credit scene - Oh, my, basically letting us know the various ways that Dr. Strange’s next multiverse adventure has already laid a LOT of groundwork!

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES www.orbiwanblogs.me/moviereviews.

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.

The following 2 users liked this post by Orbi-Wan Techno:
Red Hood (12-19-21), story (12-20-21)
Old 12-19-21, 10:59 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think in One More Day Spidey unmasked in front of the Fantastic Four and that broke the spell and they remembered Peter.
There is precedent for a way out.

I saw this movie last night with a good crowd and it was absolutely amazing
Old 12-19-21, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 440 Likes on 311 Posts

I went to the drive-in Friday night to see this. I've never seen it so packed there, but I managed to squeeze in a good spot. I loved the movie. They really managed to pull it all off. There were some minor nitpicks, but it was a great movie experience.

I liked Garfield a lot on his movies, so I am happy to see him getting sort of redeemed by this film. More than anything, Garfield was let down by a really poor second film. It would be really interesting to get some side tales with the old actors in the future.

Some other highlights for me include the rescue of MJ, as mentioned, and the way they managed to wrap up and explain things: a different version of MJ, the famous line now going to Mae. There were little things to kind of shut down some things I've read as complaints or speculation on the Holland films.

This movie also seems like it would be great for a second viewing. Really good stuff and managed to get me more excited about the MCU again.
Old 12-19-21, 03:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Really enjoyed this one. Saw it opening night and my theater was only 10-20% full. Crazy to think of packed theaters, but I guess that’s the norm in most places?
Old 12-19-21, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Received 479 Likes on 303 Posts

As far as time paradoxes go, I think it can be assumed that the villains/Spider-Mans were from universes nearly identical to the old movies, but slightly different. So the Doc Ock in the movie isn't from the exact same universe as the Tobey-Peter in the movie.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
majorjoe23 (12-19-21), story (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 203 Posts

This was the most fun I've had watching a movie in years.

I knew Charlie Cox was in it, and his scene was perfect. I was surprised by the pop from the crowd! That made me happy as I absolutely LOVE the Marvel/Netflix shows (which are canon, even if the MCU ignores them). I want to see more of Cox, Henson, and Woll, and, of course, I want to see more of Daredevil. Looks like we will.

I also knew that Garfield and Maguire were rumored to be in this, but they had done a good job of denying it for months. It made me think that their appearances would just be glorified cameos. Nope. We got the ultimate Spider-Man movie in terms of addressing everything that came before over the last 20 years. That truly was AMAZING, because it was done so well that it didn't feel forced or contrived - it was just right. It was organic to this story, and having THREE Spider-Men, all Peter Parker, teaming up was, well, AMAZING.

And, yeah, the POP when Garfield took his mask off felt like redemption for him. They had to have him show up first, otherwise it might have been, "Oh, yeah, that guy was Spider-Man, too." But having Garfield come first gave the appearance more gravitas. Maguire being the first cinematic Spider-Man, and part of three all time blockbusters, didn't need the help for the pop that he got.

That's the thing, too - the crowd was just POPPING all over the place in this movie! There was so much to cheer for and about, and this crowd cheered loudly! Lot of applause and verbal cheers! That made it even more fun to watch.

One thing I really liked, and was a little surprised by, was how much time they spent with the three Peters just chit-chatting. They took some time to let the movie breathe and let the characters be themselves. It felt slow, but it also felt right and it felt great! I loved that! So unusual in big blockbuster movies these days. It was refreshing.

1/2
DJariya (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

I saw it at AMC today and they shut off the screen after the first post credits scene and sent staff in to start cleaning up. Pretty annoying since I'm sure they know by now that people are going to stay through Marvel movies to see the post credit scenes.
Old 12-19-21, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I saw it at AMC today and they shut off the screen after the first post credits scene and sent staff in to start cleaning up.

Wow. Marvel, Sony, and Disney wouldn't be happy to hear that. As a Marvel fan I would have been pissed!
Old 12-19-21, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 448 Likes on 270 Posts

Spider-Man: No Way Home was a blast. It leaned a little hard on the fan service/nostalgia, but goddamn if it didn't do it well. I still prefer Into The Spidey Verse but honestly, this movie was pure comic book fun.

And the best unexpected cameo was in the first ten minutes, easy.
whotony (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

This was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Not one of the best Spidey movies, one of the best movies period. I agreee, this wasn't a movie, it was an event. It was nothing short of perfect. Loved every second of it.
Old 12-19-21, 10:25 PM

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Loved this movie, but this seemed like the Sony/MCU divorce film. They erased Peter Parker from the MCU, so the MCU can continue without ever mentioning him again in future films without it being strange, and Sony can keep making Spider-man movies without referencing the MCU. Kind of a bummer because I don’t trust Sony to make great Spider-man movies for the most part.
Old 12-19-21, 10:37 PM

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm42 View Post
Loved this movie, but this seemed like the Sony/MCU divorce film. They erased Peter Parker from the MCU, so the MCU can continue without ever mentioning him again in future films without it being strange, and Sony can keep making Spider-man movies without referencing the MCU. Kind of a bummer because I don’t trust Sony to make great Spider-man movies for the most part.
“Amy and I and Disney and Sony are talking about — yes, we’re actively beginning to develop where the story heads next, which I only say outright because I don’t want fans to go through any separation trauma like what happened after ‘Far From Home’ [the second film in Marvel’s ‘Spider-Man’ trilogy]. That will not be occurring this time,” Feige added, referring to the 2019 financing dispute between Disney and Sony that called the possibility of “No Way Home” into question.
Old 12-19-21, 11:07 PM

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

No deal has been reached. This movie’s ending makes it easier for Sony and MCU to walk away if they want to, but maybe without Tom Holland.

Last edited by sherm42; 12-19-21 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-19-21, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm42 View Post
No deal has been reached. This movie’s ending makes it easier for Sony and MCU to walk away if they want to, but maybe without Tom Holland.
Almost a zero percent chance that this happens.
Old 12-20-21, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,864 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Almost a zero percent chance that this happens.
While I totally agree with that, it does kind of feel like MCU now needs Tom Holland Spider-Man much more than Sony needs the MCU. Early on Sony was sitting with a valuable property that they didn’t really know how to properly shepherd. Now the roadmap is pretty well set and I don’t think that the next Holland Spider-Man movie would feel lacking if there were no direct ties to the MCU. On the other hand,after losing some of their signature stars, the MCU still … maybe not needs, but would at least benefit from continuing the Spider-Man storyline in their Phase 4 and beyond plan.
Old 12-20-21, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
While I totally agree with that, it does kind of feel like MCU now needs Tom Holland Spider-Man much more than Sony needs the MCU. Early on Sony was sitting with a valuable property that they didn’t really know how to properly shepherd. Now the roadmap is pretty well set and I don’t think that the next Holland Spider-Man movie would feel lacking if there were no direct ties to the MCU.
You're right, a standalone Spider-Man movie would work just fine, and it would actually be a VERY good thing at this point. Scale it back, make it more like the Spider-Man comics of the 60's and 70's. Ground the series in, "Reality," a little more - make it less cosmic, less global.

HOWEVER, Sony proved that they couldn't do Spider-Man right once he was a success. It was studio interference that knocked Spider-Man 3 down a notch from what it could have been, and they totally botched the Garfield era. Domestically, this movie has taken in IN ONE WEEKEND more than TASM2 took in in it's entire run!

Sony would be foolish to go it alone again. But corporate/studio egos being what they are I could see someone there thinking that they could do it just fine on their own.

Last edited by B5Erik; 12-20-21 at 01:45 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.