Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Spider-Man: No Way Home?
27.63%
31.58%
27.63%
10.53%
1.32%
1.32%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Don't care. No interest
0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-21, 09:35 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I don’t believe there IS a Ben Parker in the MCU. I may be wrong, but has he EVER been mentioned? He certainly doesn’t have to exist. May fills his role perfectly, right down to the great power quote.
Yes, he has been mentioned. Most recently in What If…?
The following users liked this post:
Draven (12-24-21)
Old 12-17-21, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I did not like Garfield’s movies very much - terrible diversions from canon, needless conspiracy theories, muddled tone and an obsession with lame plot threads that didn’t pay off (Peter’s parents anyone? A bizarre take on Norman Osborn) - but darn if Garfield didn’t almost redeem their bad writing and direction with his performance here.
Old 12-17-21, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I don’t believe there IS a Ben Parker in the MCU. I may be wrong, but has he EVER been mentioned? He certainly doesn’t have to exist. May fills his role perfectly, right down to the great power quote.
I don't recall anybody actually saying the name Ben but, in Far From Home, Peter grabs a suitcase that has the initials B.F.P. on them standing for Benjamin Franklin Parker.

The mention of what happened to him, possibly, is in Homecoming when Peter tells Ned he couldn't tell May he's Spider-Man because of all she has gone through. Of course, that could mean divorce or something else from Ben.
Old 12-17-21, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did not like Garfield’s movies very much - terrible diversions from canon, needless conspiracy theories, muddled tone and an obsession with lame plot threads that didn’t pay off (Peter’s parents anyone? A bizarre take on Norman Osborn) - but darn if Garfield didn’t almost redeem their bad writing and direction with his performance here.
Yes, I feel that it was leading somewhere had the films been successful and Marvel Studios didn't come along with the reboot with Holland. I've always said Garfield was an amazing actor in films with bad stories. Kinda' like the recent Doctor Who (save for last season).
Old 12-17-21, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Only part I didn't get....what was with The Sandman in this movie? For over half the movie, he's like, "I just want to go home". Then, he's actively helping the villains at the end? It didn't make any sense to me.
This is exactly like he has acted in the comic books too. Marko is a hot headed guy that doesn't trust people. In the movie, he made it clear that he didn't trust people and of course didn't want to die. Once he's cured, you could see the relief in his eyes

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I don't recall anybody actually saying the name Ben but, in Far From Home, Peter grabs a suitcase that has the initials B.F.P. on them standing for Benjamin Franklin Parker.

The mention of what happened to him, possibly, is in Homecoming when Peter tells Ned he couldn't tell May he's Spider-Man because of all she has gone through. Of course, that could mean divorce or something else from Ben.
Ben Parker has been barely mentioned in the MCU, but he existed. Supposedly, the Spider-Man: Freshman Year animated series coming to Disney + is going to show more about Uncle Ben. The animated series is a prequel to Civil War and Homecoming, so we'll see the first year of Parker as Spider-Man
Old 12-17-21, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

One thing I would have liked is just a little more about the other Spider-Mans' lives. Like just Tobey flashing a wedding ring or a mention of a daughter (May) would have been awesome. Given that we will likely never see them again, a little more closure would have been nice. That and why MCU-Peter didn't just stick around after the spell was cast and explain things to MJ, Ned, and Strange. Or even Happy, given that he would probably be most understanding, given his relationship with Iron Man. I guess it was just a huge burden of guilt.

Related: Is the Evil Strange in the MoM trailer supposed to be the What If... one, anyone know? I recall some of those characters were supposed to appear in live action, at some point, like Captain Carter.
Old 12-17-21, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel
One thing I would have liked is just a little more about the other Spider-Mans' lives. Like just Tobey flashing a wedding ring or a mention of a daughter (May) would have been awesome. Given that we will likely never see them again, a little more closure would have been nice. That and why MCU-Peter didn't just stick around after the spell was cast and explain things to MJ, Ned, and Strange. Or even Happy, given that he would probably be most understanding, given his relationship with Iron Man. I guess it was just a huge burden of guilt.

Related: Is the Evil Strange in the MoM trailer supposed to be the What If... one, anyone know? I recall some of those characters were supposed to appear in live action, at some point, like Captain Carter.
I'd say it's the same Strange. Otherwise, why introduce him but, you know, multiverse so it could be a different Evil Stranger.

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 12-17-21 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-17-21, 01:33 PM

I forgot to mention how awesome it was to see Peter turn into Tony Jaa during his first fight with Norman. Jumping up and throwing elbows to the top of the head. It rocked.
devilshalo (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I forgot to mention how awesome it was to see Peter turn into Tony Jaa during his first fight with Norman. Jumping up and throwing elbows to the top of the head. It rocked.
Then being powerbombed thru the multiple floors of the building. I was wondering which Spidey was going to stop him from going all John Walker on Osborn at the end...
Old 12-17-21, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

This movie is crazy-good. Instantly went to the top of my all-time favorite superhero films, and I'm just going to say it: the Sony Universe is now more interesting/appealing than the MCU.

Everyone knew it was coming, but the screams of joy and applause in the theater when Garfield comes through and pulls off that mask - one of the greatest in-theater experiences of my life.

And can we talk about Tom Holland's performance? My goodness, that was Oscar-worthy. He won't get any traction, because Hollywood insiders won't take this movie "seriously" - but sheesh, I didn't know he had that range. A+ acting.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shannon Nutt:
csant (12-17-21), DJariya (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

I certainly assumed it was Strange Supreme from What If.
Old 12-17-21, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

One thing I really loved about this movie was how they did fan service organically and not in a contrived manner. I was fully prepared from the previews to have the old villains come in and just more or less make cameos and the old Spider-Men to just join in the final battle. Instead they all got worked into the story in a logical manner and had their previous stories expanded upon. This was fan service done correctly, totally unlike two years ago with Rise of Skywalker.
tanman (12-21-21)
Old 12-17-21, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

4/5, fantastic film. I enjoyed the previous two but wasn't wild about them. This film felt so much more elevated above those, a major upgrade.

Ending scenes were great and possibly my favorite - the coffee shop, new apartment, swinging through Christmas in NY with the new suit - amazing! I'm really hoping they develop a new trilogy with him in his early 20's, college, job, etc without the MCU training wheels.

Negatives - as good as Dafoe was, I wanted his arc to be a little more complex. (I'd read a theory about him finding and killing his variant and taking over in the MCU for example) Post credit - so weak, I can't stand the Venom movies so it was a huge letdown...and it didn't make sense to me either. (I didn't see Venom 2)
Old 12-18-21, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Artman
Post credit - so weak, I can't stand the Venom movies so it was a huge letdown...and it didn't make sense to me either. (I didn't see Venom 2)
This is the credits scene from Venom 2 that takes place before the credit scene in No Way Home.

Red Hood (12-18-21)
Old 12-18-21, 07:40 AM
Banned

I mentioned that Venom being there made no sense since he didn’t know Peter Parker is Spider-Man but now looking back, Electro being there doesn’t make sense either. Electro didn’t know Peter was Spidey and when Garfield unmasked in front of him, it was the first time Electro saw who Spider-Man was. That’s why he cracked the joked that he expected Spidey to be black under the mask because he was from Queens.

Like I said, I believe these aren’t goofs, just things that are going to be explained moving on as side effects of the multiverse crashing that we saw in Loki
Old 12-18-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I mentioned that Venom being there made no sense since he didn’t know Peter Parker is Spider-Man but now looking back, Electro being there doesn’t make sense either. Electro didn’t know Peter was Spidey and when Garfield unmasked in front of him, it was the first time Electro saw who Spider-Man was. That’s why he cracked the joked that he expected Spidey to be black under the mask because he was from Queens.

Like I said, I believe these aren’t goofs, just things that are going to be explained moving on as side effects of the multiverse crashing that we saw in Loki
Wasn't the line that they were all killed by Spiderman, not Peter? That being said, it doesn't explain why Doc Ock is there. He wasn't killed by Spidey/Parker, he was saved by him and then sacrificed himself (Sandman was also not killed by Spidey). I guess they could have used different terminology. Maybe like they all got pulled in just before their fate was decied.
Old 12-18-21, 11:40 AM
Banned

The following 5 users liked this post by Red Hood:
Bob_Bobbson (02-01-22), IBJoel (12-18-21), MysterioMan007 (12-19-21), tanman (12-21-21), Thos19 (12-20-21)
Old 12-18-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Just got back from seeing the 3D version. Went by myself, wife going with me tomorrow on the faux IMAX screen.
3D was pretty good. Of course the mirror dimension is always phenomenal. All of the action scenes were pretty good, but seemed to be a lot of standing/sitting around scenes that didn't have anything great about the 3D.

Really glad I rewatched all of the Spider-Man movies in the past month or so. A lot of great callbacks.
The Tobey back thing is "back".
Tobey-Spider web's coming out of him discussion.
Gar-Spider's call back to losing Gwen, almost shot for shot except he saved MJ. I think that was the most emotional for me.

I was not spoiled by the Matt Murdoch appearance and was so glad I let out a yelp.

I thought Zendaya was really good in this one.
Ned casting portals. As long as it took Strange to get one, he had to be aggravated. lol
Old 12-18-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

This was my favorite superhero movie by a mile. It was funny, heartfelt and technically marvelous. I’m glad my first in theater experience, post Covid, was this.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rob V:
Nesbit (12-24-21), Shannon Nutt (12-20-21)
Old 12-18-21, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Same. The asshole who leaked the photos of Charlie sitting at the table with Peter, Happy and May should be banned permanently from every premiere, advance screening, etc. What a fucking asshole that guy is.

Venom is supposed to have a third movie with Hardy and will deal with other symbiotes that have spawn off him. The whole thing of him being in Mexico was shown at the end of the Venom Let There Be Carnage film and then the after credit scene shows that Hardy's version of Eddie Brock was transported to the MCU while he was on vacation in Mexico. And going from what we learned in the film, that doesn't make any sense at all for now, as the Dr Strange film may clear this snafu. The whole reason it doesn't make sense is because the people who came to the MCU after Strange botched his spell were all people that knew that Peter Parker and Spider-Man are the same person. In Hardy's Venom universe, he hasn't met any Peter's and doesn't know who Spider-Man is. If the Dr. Strange film comes out and says there were "leaks" that came into the universe, then that would be that.
Wasn’t the implication from the Venom 2 post credit scene that symbiots are connected even across dimensions? If that’s the case, Tom Hardy Venom would know because Topher Grace Venom knew.
Old 12-18-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

So alot of the suprises got ruined for me by random things, so I pretty much knew what was coming (just not the how). Still the way that both Macquire and Garfield were introduced was awesome. Loved the Murdoc scene, very simple way to introduce him to the universe. I still haven't watched the Daredevil series so I'm interested to hear from someone that has if that is now cannon in the MCU. Below is what I liked and didn't like

Pros
Like I said, great intro for Macquire and Garfield and hard to believe it's been 20 years since the first big Spider-Man movie

Loved Garfield saving MJ, you could just feel how important that moment was for that charecter

Loved the one liners (You know I'm somewhat of a scientiest myself)

All the villians story felt organic which is shocking because usually when a movie has this many villians everything just falls apart from a storytelling point of view

Cons
I really really really don't care for anything (other than Spider-Man) made by anyone outside Disney. By this I mean Venom, X-Men, and the upcoming Mobious. You can just tell that if Disney did not have a hand it this it wouldn't have turned out nearly as good as it did (as evidenced by having to bring back 2 other Spider Mans to give them decent closure)

Mid credit scene did nothing for me due to reason above. Post credit scene wasn't unexpected (I don't believe Disney has ever done anything outside a glorified trailer for movies outside their own production) but I still wanted a bit more.

I do feel like the MCU is getting so big I can't tell where it is supposed to be going. We knew for near a decade that we were leading up to Thanos. Is the multi verse what we are leading to and does that mean Kang the Conquerer is the main villian now? Or is the multi verse just a part of an overall story that will lead to Kang. At some point I assume a new Avengers would form up, but I don't even see a movie resembling that in the future.

I still find it weird that Dr. Strange would just do all that for Parker, but he has always been kind of an arrogant charecter so I assume he thought it would be a simple thing.

Final Thoughts
Overall I loved it and thought it was in the top tier of Marvel movies. I do wonder what this means for Spider-Man. Is he going to go back to being the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man or is he still connected to the Avengers. I would assume he is still connected, they just don't know it's Peter Parker. I really don't want anyone outside Disney doing any Marvel movies due to quality control, but I certainly liked what Sony did with this Spider-Man series.

Looking at the other two Spider-Man series, I hated Macquire and I only casually watched Garfields. I came to realize that Garfield could have been great, he was just given a dog crap story. What most interested me is I realized why I hated Macquire. He just doesn't work as a teenage Spider-Man, like the actor himself. He was WAY better here as an older Spider-Man, almost a brother or father figure like Spider-Man. I wish we could have seen him like that now because I think there is a good story to tell with a weathered version of Spider-Man rather than the High School/College kid we have always gotten.
Old 12-18-21, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
I still haven't watched the Daredevil series so I'm interested to hear from someone that has if that is now cannon in the MCU.
I haven't either, but I am confident in the answer - no, it is not. But Marvel will leave it open ended - so fans can continue to believe it's cannon, but the MCU will not directly reference the old series. (something Star Wars could've really learned from) I think it really is just as simple as Kevin Feige picking what he thought worked the best from the netflix shows and choosing to go with those actors.

Without knowing whether the Disney/Sony relationship continued, they set it up perfectly. It may or may not continue in the MCU - it's been confirmed it will now, but they didn't know that two yrs ago.
Old 12-18-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Not everyone has seen What If? yet. There's an evil Dr Strange in that?
Old 12-18-21, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

You know, the very first episode of Daredevil repeatedly refers to the Avengers movie and attack on NY City, I don’t know why some act like it is NOT canon just because some business boffins split up the Netflix deal and ended the shows to focus on the Marvel shows on Disney+. Nothing has changed about those MCU ties that have always been there.

Far as I’m concerned Daredevil has always been MCU canon regardless of corporate shenanigans behind the scenes since it first aired. But hey, we can all have our own personal canons when it comes down to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Antipodean:
Thos19 (12-20-21), tommyp007 (01-09-22)
Old 12-18-21, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I LOVED this movie! Favorite moment was MCU Peter explaining teamwork via the Avengers. The other Peters "what is that?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.