Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Spider-Man: No Way Home?
28.00%
32.00%
26.67%
10.67%
1.33%
1.33%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Don't care. No interest
0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 12-16-21, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

When Goblin stabbed Tobey, I think my whole theater, including myself was ready to shit in the pants and draw dropped. Everyone went Whoah!!! Thankfully he survived and that was a nice little sendoff for him and Garfield at the end.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Boy, after hearing Toby talk about how him and Mary-Jane figured it out and were doing well I just wasn’t ready to see him get killed.
Old 12-16-21, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Rating this as a regular movie fan, I gave it 4 1/2 out of five, because it did have some minor weaknesses. However, as someone who has been a Spider-Man fan since before he could even read, I f$%king loved it!
Old 12-16-21, 11:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome movie! Wow. So many huge cheers that made it great to be in a theatre. Murdock, Osborn meme quote, science room spider pointing memeÖand holy shit at the cheers for Garfield and then Maguire. And Garfield saving MJ.

Not a nitpick, just trying to understand: so the baddies were flashed to MCU prime right before their moments of being killed etc (as we remember them), but the spideyís were flashed from later points in their lives. The goal was to cure the baddies and have them return and hopefully explain to the spideys (about to kill them) to not kill them anymore? Or am I thinking about it too much. lol.
Old 12-17-21, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I was genuinely shocked when I realised that Aunt May is Peterís Uncle Ben in the MCU. Nice swerve.
majorjoe23 (12-18-21)
Old 12-17-21, 12:12 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I liked it so much I stayed and watched it a second time. Seeing all three Spider-men on screen together was awesome. Tobey got the loudest cheers from the crowd, followed by Garfield, Murdoch, and the Goblin for the folks in my theater. I hate that they killed off Aunt May, but I think it was necessary. I can't tell if they're going to eject Spider-Man from the MCU now or do a story where his friends remember him. I'm hoping in the next film we get Iceman and Firestar as a callback to His Amazing Friends. But, as far as this movie goes, it's probably my favorite Spider-Man movie, but I still enjoy Infinity War/Endgame more as an MCU movie. This movie did make me appreciate Andrew Garfield more, however.
Old 12-17-21, 12:30 AM

Received 897 Likes on 519 Posts

That was incredible.

Everything from 2008's Iron Man led to 2018/2019 Avengers: Infinity War / Endgame. An 11-year build,up and payoff.

Nobody saw that 8 movies starting in 2002 - nearly 20 years ago - would ever come together and have a payoff like this. Mind-blowing.

We "earned" Infinity War / Endgame.

We were "treated" to No Way Home.

Spider-Man: No Way Home is a real treat we neither asked for nor deserved nor ever thought possible. A great moviegoing experience and love letter to the character and the generations of fans.
DJariya (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm debating how soon I want to see this again. Since the movie is still so fresh in my mind, I'll probably wait until Monday.

I did get a little choked up when Garfield rescued MJ and you could see the tears running down his face. I agree it felt like he wanted to redeem himself for Gwen. My audience also cheered at that sequence.
Dr. DVD (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 12:45 AM

Received 897 Likes on 519 Posts

Whoa, anonymous poll?! Too late to change that and/or merge with a fresh poll? I feel like new movies usually don't get anonymous polls around here.
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
DJariya (12-17-21), Red Hood (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I would like to know who in this community thought what. Damn you OP

Adam Tyner Since you're an administrator, is there any way to fix the poll to not make it anonymous?
Old 12-17-21, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

That was amazing! So many call backs and moments that work on multiple levels. Definitely will see this again.

I thought they should have killed Gobby.
Old 12-17-21, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 805 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I wish stuff hadn't leaked... like the Charlie Cox cameo... because it is so small.
Same. The asshole who leaked the photos of Charlie sitting at the table with Peter, Happy and May should be banned permanently from every premiere, advance screening, etc. What a fucking asshole that guy is.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
My showing got the same amount of applause when Tobey & Garf showed up, BUT the one that broke the sound barrier was Norman's (In)famous line.

Soooooo...Did that mid-credits sequence mean that we're getting a NEW Venom?
Originally Posted by whotony View Post
My take on the Venom thing is that the credits bit in his movie happened when this movie did the magic spell that brought the others into the MCU.
Then he went back when Strange fixed the spell and all of them went back.

We just didnít see the Venom parts during this movie.

So thatís why he appeared in the MCU and then went back to the SCU (Sony Cinematic Universe)
As for the piece that was left behind, as someone else mentioned that bit could likely find the MCU version of Brock and attach to him.
Venom is supposed to have a third movie with Hardy and will deal with other symbiotes that have spawn off him. The whole thing of him being in Mexico was shown at the end of the Venom Let There Be Carnage film and then the after credit scene shows that Hardy's version of Eddie Brock was transported to the MCU while he was on vacation in Mexico. And going from what we learned in the film, that doesn't make any sense at all for now, as the Dr Strange film may clear this snafu. The whole reason it doesn't make sense is because the people who came to the MCU after Strange botched his spell were all people that knew that Peter Parker and Spider-Man are the same person. In Hardy's Venom universe, he hasn't met any Peter's and doesn't know who Spider-Man is. If the Dr. Strange film comes out and says there were "leaks" that came into the universe, then that would be that.

As for a new Venom, they could easily follow the comic book stories. In Spider-Man Homecoming, Mac Gargan was shown in prison interacting with the Vulture. In the comics, Gargan becomes Venom and is part of the Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts team, which by the looks of what the MCU is doing, seems to be a high possibility that this happens with Valentina recruiting John Walker in Falcon and the Winter Soldier and then Yelena in the Black Widow film. Gargan doesn't have to look like Venom, just like Spider-Man with the black costume. This could also lead to Flash Thompson becoming Venom too later on as it happens in the comics.

I would still love to see Hardy in the MCU, but it's almost the same as saying that I want to see Ryan Reynolds Deadpool there too. The characters really don't fit the MCU but sometimes that intangible makes it more interesting.

As for No Way Home, it has become my top live-action Spider-Man film (still like Into the Spider-Verse more than this one). I felt the film was perfect in a lot of ways besides the fan service. It brings Daredevil back into the MCU. It shows that the MCU Spider-Man is uniquely different from others in aspects like mentors, love interests, friends and dynamics. We have May taking over the Uncle Ben role, Zendaya's MJ being unique and different from Mary Jane Watson in other universes, no Gwen Stacy or Captain Stacy, Ned Leeds looking like Gankhe (from the ultimate universe spider-man and best friends with Miles Morales, not Peter Parker in that universe), being best friends with Peter here and becoming a magician instead of the Hobgoblin (so far).

I really loved this film and the people at my screening made it better. The reaction to Murdock appearing was amazing but when Garfield and Maguire showed up, it was almost at an Endgame portals battle scene reaction from the audience. William Dafoe appearing also got a loud pop but the surprise of Thomas Hayden Church and Rhys Ifans coming back to reprise their roles was also received with loud reactions. As many have said here, Garfield stole the show. His performances were not bad in the previous Spider-Man films, the problem lied with the mediocre scripts, specially in the second one. His reactions the tragedy that his Spider-Man had gone through and saving MJ at the end were felt in the audience. People were crying in those moments.

Hope this is the start of having Maguire and Garfield back in some form as Spideys. Hope they show up in Across the Spider-Verse and maybe we will see them back again in the MCU when the finale of the next big story arc happens.

Old 12-17-21, 07:08 AM

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
The whole reason it doesn't make sense is because the people who came to the MCU after Strange botched his spell were all people that knew that Peter Parker and Spider-Man are the same person. In Hardy's Venom universe, he hasn't met any Peter's and doesn't know who Spider-Man is. If the Dr. Strange film comes out and says there were "leaks" that came into the universe, then that would be that.
It could have to do with what happened at the end of Loki.
Old 12-17-21, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 369 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
Whoa, anonymous poll?! Too late to change that and/or merge with a fresh poll? I feel like new movies usually don't get anonymous polls around here.
Sorry folks, I usually don't do these threads and only posted one when spoilers started to drop. I'll leave it to the usual folks from this time out. If I can change things, let me know, happy to do so.
story (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Sorry folks, I usually don't do these threads and only posted one when spoilers started to drop. I'll leave it to the usual folks from this time out. If I can change things, let me know, happy to do so.
Don't worry about it. Thanks for making the thread. It's appreciated that other people do it.

I've created a new thread with an updated poll and moved all the posts. You will need to vote again.

Last edited by dex14; 12-17-21 at 07:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
DJariya (12-17-21), story (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't worry about it. Thanks for making the thread. It's appreciated that other people do it.

I've created a new thread with an updated poll and moved all the posts. You will need to vote again.
Thanks Dex
Old 12-17-21, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 159 Likes on 123 Posts

My question is how did Happy know aunt May through Spider-Man, but didn't know her own nephew that lived with her? I'm either missing something or this wasn't fully thought out.
Old 12-17-21, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
My question is how did Happy know aunt May through Spider-Man, but didn't know her own nephew that lived with her? I'm either missing something or this wasn't fully thought out.
He doesn't remember her having a nephew. And Aunt May wouldn't remember having a nephew if she were alive. For all intents and purposes, she didn't have a nephew because nobody knows of the existence of Peter Parker.
Old 12-17-21, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He doesn't remember her having a nephew. And Aunt May wouldn't remember having a nephew if she were alive. For all intents and purposes, she didn't have a nephew because nobody knows of the existence of Peter Parker.
Yes, it's a good way for the other characters he may interact with again (Nick Furry comes to mind) and other Avengers remember Spider-man but not who is underneath the suit.

As a side note regarding May. I totally thought when they showed the front of the grave it would have Ben on it or at least next to it but, no. Leads me to think that Ben Parker, in this universe, is still alive. I don't recall anywhere where they specifically mention him dying and Peter (Holland) certainly didn't chime in when the other two were talking about their uncles.
Old 12-17-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 805 Likes on 553 Posts

It could have to do with what happened at the end of Loki.
I was thinking about that last night and when I saw the trailer for the film. The whole thing of Wanda becoming the Scarlett Witch, the timelines breaking and the TVA forgetting everything , Ultron breaking between universes, evil Doctor Strange breaking his universe and MCU's Doctor Strange spell falling apart are tied together. It feels like all of it happened simultaneously. I'm sure when the Now Way Home hits the streaming services we are going to see in more detail who were the people in all those silhouettes in the sky when the spell was breaking. I believe I saw Rhino, a version of Loki with a staff and horns and a Celestial in the sky.

Also, where the fuck was Wong? That guy has a perfect time to vanish the fuck out of dangerous situations
Old 12-17-21, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I was thinking about that last night and when I saw the trailer for the film. The whole thing of Wanda becoming the Scarlett Witch, the timelines breaking and the TVA forgetting everything , Ultron breaking between universes, evil Doctor Strange breaking his universe and MCU's Doctor Strange spell falling apart are tied together. It feels like all of it happened simultaneously. I'm sure when the Now Way Home hits the streaming services we are going to see in more detail who were the people in all those silhouettes in the sky when the spell was breaking. I believe I saw Rhino, a version of Loki with a staff and horns and a Celestial in the sky.

Also, where the fuck was Wong? That guy has a perfect time to vanish the fuck out of dangerous situations
I had thought he was walking into the events shown in Shang-chi, placing Spider-Man No Way Home slightly before them.
Old 12-17-21, 09:10 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Only part I didn't get....what was with The Sandman in this movie? For over half the movie, he's like, "I just want to go home". Then, he's actively helping the villains at the end? It didn't make any sense to me.
Old 12-17-21, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 View Post
Only part I didn't get....what was with The Sandman in this movie? For over half the movie, he's like, "I just want to go home". Then, he's actively helping the villains at the end? It didn't make any sense to me.
He seemed to be more attacking Peter out of frustration that he wasn’t sending him back than helping them others.
Old 12-17-21, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 View Post
I took it as continuing the conflict in his character from Spider-man 3. Though him and Peter came to an agreement at the end of that flick, it wasn't like they were buddy buddy or anything and his character walked the line of conflicted emotions throughout the film. In No Way Home, he starts out helpful but is eventually entrapped despite his efforts. I am gathering that, along with the general disorientation of being in another world, could cause him to flip though I do feel, more towards the end of the battle, he was flipping back to helpful again or, more likely, attacking out of anger that he wasn't getting what he wanted from anybody involved.
Old 12-17-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Yes, it's a good way for the other characters he may interact with again (Nick Furry comes to mind) and other Avengers remember Spider-man but not who is underneath the suit.

As a side note regarding May. I totally thought when they showed the front of the grave it would have Ben on it or at least next to it but, no. Leads me to think that Ben Parker, in this universe, is still alive. I don't recall anywhere where they specifically mention him dying and Peter (Holland) certainly didn't chime in when the other two were talking about their uncles.
I donít believe there IS a Ben Parker in the MCU. I may be wrong, but has he EVER been mentioned? He certainly doesnít have to exist. May fills his role perfectly, right down to the great power quote.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.