Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lost City (2022) S: Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-16-21, 09:37 AM

Received 4,550 Likes on 3,086 Posts

Brilliant, but reclusive author Loretta Sage (Sandra Bullock) has spent her career writing about exotic places in her popular romance-adventure novels featuring handsome cover model Alan (Channing Tatum), who has dedicated his life to embodying the hero character, “Dash.” While on tour promoting her new book with Alan, Loretta is kidnapped by an eccentric billionaire (Daniel Radcliffe) who hopes that she can lead him to the ancient lost city’s treasure from her latest story. Wanting to prove that he can be a hero in real life and not just on the pages of her books, Alan sets off to rescue her. Thrust into an epic jungle adventure, the unlikely pair will need to work together to survive the elements and find the ancient treasure before it’s lost forever.
Old 12-16-21, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: The Lost City (2022) S: Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe

I'm getting Tropic Thunder vibes.... looks hella fun.
Old 12-17-21, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I love Romancing the Stone!
The following 2 users liked this post by stingermck:
B.A. (12-19-21), IBJoel (02-11-22)
Old 12-28-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wife and I saw the trailer, and she’s pumped for this one.
Old 02-09-22, 06:25 PM

Old 02-09-22, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Looks great and the Brad Pitt cameo is going to steal the show. He's got the pretty hair going, too.
Old 03-21-22, 11:56 AM

Opens this weekend.

Reviews seem positive so far: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lost_city
Old 03-21-22, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,186 Likes on 2,054 Posts

The ads actually make this look pretty funny. I just wish they would have kept the Brad Pitt stuff under wraps. Iím guessing his role is little more than a glorified cameo that would work better if it was a surprise to the audience.
Old 03-21-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I am shocked my wife does not want to see this...I on the other hand think it looks pretty good..
Old 03-21-22, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Apparently there are early screenings on Tuesday and Wednesday. There was also an early Fandango screening this past Saturday. Paramount is really trying to get eyes on it.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-21-22 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-25-22, 05:52 PM

Wife and I just got back from seeing it. Pretty much an “anything for a laugh” goof-fest. As silly as the trailers are, they aren’t lying. I enjoyed “Uncharted” much more than this.
Old 03-25-22, 06:15 PM

I was expecting a bit more based on the word of mouth. Not a bad movie... just pretty much by the numbers.

Pitt was awesome.

Props to Sandy for wearing that sequin jumpsuit with a plunging neckline for most of the movie.
Old 03-25-22, 07:31 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I love Romancing the Stone!
I got a Romancing the Stone vibe from the trailer as well.
Old 03-26-22, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

This is basically the comedic version of Uncharted - and about as good (meaning, okay - but something that you're unlikely to want to see again). I'd give it a B-
Old 03-27-22, 12:07 PM

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

The Lost City (PG-13) - A straight-up screwball action romantic comedy that doesn’t take itself seriously, at all.

Wow, very much a “truth in advertising” kind of goofy mix of action adventure, romantic comedy, and mid-life crisis. Did you see any or all of the trailers? Then you know exactly what you’re getting. It does find its roots in “Romancing The Stone” and some scenes from the “Raiders” movies and even a little “Uncharted” sneaks in. Other than a way-too-short “extended” cameo, there aren’t a lot of surprises or new ground broken in the new Sandra Bullock/Tatum Channing pairing “The Lost City”. But it is actually a pretty good date movie, and does benefit from being seen in the theater.

Sandra plays Loretta, a best-selling romantic adventure author who is considering wrapping up her career as she anticipates her final book tour. She is continuing to grieve 5 years after the death of her archeologist husband, who was her inspiration for her books’ dashing hero Dash. Tatum plays Alan, the book-cover model for Dash, a man for whom action adventure seems a distant fantasy, though he does love the attention he gets from the books’ fans.

As we learn early in the movie, Loretta bases much of her writing on her seeming extensive knowledge of archeological history learned in college and on actual digs with her late husband. Details in her latest book have convinced billionaire Abigail Fairfax (a very funny Daniel Radcliffe in a role he is obviously having a blast with) that the treasure featured in her latest book is actually real. Fairfax and his henchmen kidnap Loretta and whisk her away to a tropical island with a volcano on the verge of erupting. Alan, the non-adventurer, enlists the aid of ex-Navy Seal Jack Trainer (Brad Pitt in a too-short role that, frankly, I would love to see in his own film).

Also on Loretta’s trail, in a secondary but extremely amusing subplot, is the author’s agent Beth (the excellent Da’Vine Joy Randolph), who realizes the book tour has fallen apart and decides to take some matters into her own hands. And a special shout-out to the durability of Loretta’s glitter/sequined outfit, which manages to stay mostly intact for much of the movie.

I think if this sounds like something that will allow you to put your brain on hold and just go with it. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

So, honestly, as silly as the trailers have been, they weren’t lying. This is nowhere near as semi-serious as portions of “Uncharted” tried to be. Bullock, Channing and Radcliffe pull out all the stops to be funny, and every scene seems to beg for some sort of punch line and, many times, gets it. However, as much as I laughed at parts of “The Lost City”, as adventures go, “Uncharted” was a superior action comedy. “The Lost City” gets 3 out of 5 lightsabers from the old Jedi and personally, I doubt we will get a follow-up adventure. Though, I would love a Jack Trainer spin-off.

NOTES TO PARENTS (MILD SPOILERS): Definitely not for younger viewers. “The Lost City” is rated PG-13 for a ton of silly sexual euphanisms, Loretta in a tightfitting low-cut glitter onesie for almost half the movie, extended Alan male butt nudity, followed by Loretta staring directly at and commenting on Alan’s (unseen) nude crotch area. There is not as much profanity that you might expect, though “d**k”, “s**t”, “a**h***” and “g**d**n” are heard a couple of times each. At one point in the action, Dash is covered with blood and brains which, believe it or not, is largely played for laughs.

MID AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: Mid-credits features a goofy surprise appearance by someone thought lost earlier in the movie. There is no after-credits scene.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES www.orbiwanblogs.me/moviereviews.

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 03-27-22, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Just got back from a matinee. It was alright. Nothing that blew me away. Had some laughs and had the vibe of Romancing the Stone and Uncharted. Despite the big age difference, Sandy Bullock and Channing Tatum did have good chemistry.

I didn't really like Radcliffe as the villain. I thought he was way too hammy and over the top.

Pitt's appearance was fun, but it was slightly longer than a cameo. It would have been cool if they kept him out of the marketing to make it more of a surprise.

This is probably not something I would re-watch again.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-27-22 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-07-22, 04:15 PM

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,114 Posts

We saw a matinee as a family yesterday and we really enjoyed it. The innuendo was above the heads of the kids and while the youngest thought it was okay the oldest really liked it and all of us had a good time. I'd watch more adventures of these two anytime. It's worth checking out.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-07-22)
Old 05-09-22, 09:42 AM

The Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum-led comedy The Lost City is set to premiere on May 10 via Paramount+ in the United States and Canada. Itíll be available in Australia, the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy later this year.
Old 05-09-22, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Awesomesauce that it will hit Paramount+, as I am excited to watch this film later this week.
Old 05-10-22, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just watched on P+ and had a lot of fun with it. Brad Pitt was great.
Old 05-10-22, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,018 Likes on 809 Posts

This was cute for lack of a better word. Being a pandemic shoot was not super obvious either which is good.

Funny that we've now had Jungle Cruise, Uncharted and this covering similar territory in a short period of time but at the same time Adventure movies are a favorite of mine so that works. This was much better than Snatched.

Its funny that in a star vehicle with Tatum and Bullock, Pitt still stole every scene he was in.
Old 05-10-22, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I never realized Daniel Radcliffe was so tiny.
Old 05-14-22, 09:06 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

i usually don't go for these particular movies anymore, but this was pretty decent. got a chuckle or two out of us and was a good update of Romancing the Stone. loved Pitt's cameos. he kills it. but, the chemistry between Tatum and Bullock was pretty good and i'm glad i saw it.
Old 05-14-22, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I really enjoyed this. Better than expected. Sandra Bullock still looks great.

I love adventure stories, so thatís what hooked me.

Old 05-16-22, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Decent flick. I would have liked a bit more action though ...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.