Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rendezvous With Rama (D: Villeneuve)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rendezvous With Rama (D: Villeneuve)

Old 06-08-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rendezvous with rama: any news??

last i heard morgan freeman was still trying his best to get this project started...

does anyone know the status??

any updates?

will this movie ever get made?

Old 06-08-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd venture to say not. I haven't heard anything about this movie at all. Of course, maybe it'll pop up...what is Fincher up to there days? He was slated to direct with Morgan Freeman...
Old 06-08-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts
Man i would love to see this get made,the books were great.
Old 06-09-04, 01:45 AM

Good Lord, I had forgotten all about this. I remember hearing about this like 5 years ago. Premise sounded cool though. Hopefully it gets made.
Old 06-10-04, 08:11 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This movie along with a movie based on Roger Zelazny's books Nine Princes in Amber would be sweet.
Old 06-10-04, 01:36 PM

Zelazny is one of my favorites.

But I still get sick during the flashbacks from when I watched the travesty titled "Damnation Alley"
Old 06-12-04, 02:34 PM

Ooooh... crazy, I just finished reading the book last week (for the second time), and was thinking what a great movie it could (potentially) make.

Ya know, I was thinking the best thing possible for any potential film adaptation of this book would be a sort of minimalist, understated, and, dare I say it, Kubrikian, style... maybe along the lines of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I'd hate to see it turned into an overblown piece of Hollywood fluff.
Old 06-12-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am sure after Hollywood makes Garfield 3, Pitch Black 4, Shrek 6 and other original movies like a new remake of Wizard of Oz they will look at this
Old 06-12-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Geoff H
Ooooh... crazy, I just finished reading the book last week (for the second time), and was thinking what a great movie it could (potentially) make.

Ya know, I was thinking the best thing possible for any potential film adaptation of this book would be a sort of minimalist, understated, and, dare I say it, Kubrikian, style... maybe along the lines of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I'd hate to see it turned into an overblown piece of Hollywood fluff.
My sentiments exactly. The *only* way to do the film justice is to stick to the book exactly and that just wouldn't make a good Hollywood film. Kubrick would have been perfect - he would have seen the beauty of the unanswered questions.
Old 05-04-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

are we EVER gonna see "Rendezvous with Rama"??

so, i've heard that morgan freeman has bought the rights to this novel to bring it to the big screen...that was several years ago, he was planning to star in the lead role, and even heard that fincher was tabbed as the director.

again, that was several years ago, and it seems like this project is stuck in limbo...anyone know what the deal is?? any updates? has this project fallen through?
Old 05-04-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts
I dunno,but i wish it would happen.This is a movie i would LOVE to see get made.
Old 05-04-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 190 Posts
It has an official website:

http://www.rendezvouswithrama.com/
Old 05-04-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes it does, but the info hasn't been updated in years!
Old 05-05-05, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are a couple of sites listing it with a release date of 2006. Its a pretty ambitious project. According to the production company it will require "18 months of preproduction, two months of filming, and a year of post production". I can imagine the biggest stumbling block for such a project would be getting it funded. Which is probably why it hasn't been able to get out of the starting gates.
Old 05-05-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,240 Posts
I don't think Hollywood wants to pony up cash for science fiction movies that also don't double as big dumb summer action thrillers.

So if you expect any good science fiction novel to ever be made into a big budget Hollywood movie -- Foundation, Stranger in a Strange Land, Hyperion, Uplift -- expect it to receive the "I, Robot" treatment.
Old 05-05-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

josh, sad but true...
Old 05-06-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I like the Rama books, there have been plenty of 'first contact/alien mystery' type movies already. The Rama story is very slow developing which wouldn't work too well for a movie I think.
Old 05-09-05, 03:21 PM

I think it would work if you made all three books into one movie and gave the first book about 20 minuets in a 2 &1/2 to 3 hour movie
Old 06-20-10, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will there ever be a Rendezvous with Rama movie?

I know that Morgan Freeman's group had apparently bought the rights to this and were planning to make it, but that was like 5+ years ago and I haven't heard anything at all since then. Has this fallen through?

Anyone know?
Old 06-20-10, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Will there ever be a Rendezvous with Rama movie?

Thats what i would like to know as well. I dont know why Hollywood is not all over arthur c clarke books. The special effects in hollywood can now handle any of his books.
Old 06-20-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

They can make this after they make Ender's Game.
Old 06-20-10, 11:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fincher was signed on for a while to do it all CGI, but like so many of his projects, it fell apart.
Old 05-13-11, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rendezvous with Rama: project dead?

I remember hearing something that this was in the works, in the initial stages and that Morgan Freeman was involved (his production company, perhaps?) and that David Fincher was rumored to be directing. That was 5-8 years ago, I think.

Is this project now dead? Anyone know what the status is?

That would be one monumental movie, if someone could do it right...
Old 05-13-11, 04:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Rendezvous with Rama: project dead?

Wikipedia as this...

In the early 2000s, actor Morgan Freeman expressed his desire to produce a film based on Rendezvous with Rama. After a drawn-out development process — which Freeman attributed to difficulties in procuring funding — it appeared in 2003 this would indeed be happening. IMDb at one point upgraded the status of the project to "announced" with an estimated release date in 2009. The film was to be produced by Freeman's production company, Revelations Entertainment. David Fincher, touted on Revelations' Rama web page as far back as 2001,[7] stated in a late 2007 interview (where he also credited the novel as an influence on the films Alien and Star Trek: The Motion Picture) that he is still attached to helm. Revelations and IMDb indicated that Stel Pavlou had written the adaptation.

In late 2008, David Fincher stated the movie is unlikely to be made. "It looks like it's not going to happen. There's no script and as you know, Morgan Freeman's not in the best of health right now. We've been trying to do it but it's probably not going to happen." However the IMDb entry for the film remains, with an estimated release date in 2013. In January 2011, Fincher stated in an interview with MTV that after his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea movie, he would really begin to work on Rendezvous with Rama. He also said that finding the right script was very difficult.
take it however you want it.

guy made a short film revolving around this thing...I've never heard of the book...now I"m interested though...

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/1989082?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="600" height="321" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Rendezvous with Rama - NYU 2001 from Aaron Ross on Vimeo.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-13-11 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Rendezvous with Rama: project dead?

Been hearing about this movie for a long time now. I read the book years ago and really enjoyed it, however i think a literal translation to the big screen would be a hard sell. The book if i remember correctly was just the exploration of the ship passing through our solar system on a limited time frame as its course was plotted. This is a movie that i can imagine would turn out like Gattacca. Failing horribly at the theaters it could be a genuinely original thinking mans Sci-Fi that shows us something different and relies on the story to keep us engrossed rather than explosions or needless action.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.