Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

Originally Posted by CristonCole
It’s the frenetic, in-your-face style that almost immediately turns a lot of people off and keeps them at a distance from what is ultimately a very simple story about generational trauma and familial relationships. And I agree about younger viewers. I’ve seen it five times in theatres now and each time there has been at least one walk-out (usually around the time “Joju Chewbacca”😅 starts killing people with rubber dildo nunchucks). I notice that most of the people that give up and leave early tend to be… of a certain age.
I saw it for the first time yesterday. It was a Thursday matinee in an art house theater. Nearly everyone in the crowd, including us, were of that certain age.

We aren't certain if we should recommend this to my elderly aunt because we don't know if she'd be offended by crass things like the dildo fight.
Old 03-17-23, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts
Re: Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

I saw it about a year ago, and I'm proud to say that this was a rare film that just clicked immediately for me. I've been wanting something like this for a long time, in fact. Life is bizarre, life is depressing, relationships come and go and you're always wondering about how life could have turned out differently if you'd done X differently or if Y event never occurred. It connected with me on a spiritual level, not just in my anxieties about life and nature of the universe and destiny with my future wife snce we're poor, but also my love of the outlandish and possibilities of the cosmos and comics and sci-fi.

Life on this planet is so incredibly stupid. And I don't always mean that in a bad way. We have an obesity problem while a billion people go hungry. We watch little rectangles for fun and then go on other rectangles and talk about what we saw, then we go to sleep on a different rectangle. We turned wolves into French Bulldogs. We love round things and invented 101 ways to cook a root. We get satisfaction out of making stuff, even when it's not very good. We use violence as humor and spectacle and tragedy. And we never know who or where we'd be if a single thing turned out different, even as small as being a minute late (or early).

My fiancee and I watched this together in the theater. The ticket stub shortened the name of the film to "Everything". I put it in the ring box when I proposed. Now is that dumb/sweet/poetic or what? It's all of it.

"Of all the words of brush or pen, the saddest are: It might have been."
The following 10 users liked this post by IBJoel:
[email protected] (03-18-23), Brian T (03-17-23), Cellar Door (03-17-23), Crocker Jarmen (03-17-23), dsa_shea (03-20-23), lisadoris (03-21-23), Obi-Wanma (03-18-23), RichC2 (03-18-23), story (03-20-23), tanman (03-28-23) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-18-23, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

For me it didn't click immediately. First time I saw it, wasn't truly impressed. Second time, over last weekend, appreciated it more.
Old 03-18-23, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

First time: liked it but was like WTF, need to see it again asap.

Second time: really liked it even more and understood what was going on a lot better.

Third time: Absolutely love it. Will revisit often.

In my opinion, the more people know what they’re getting themselves into before they see it, the better.
The following 2 users liked this post by Throwing Copper:
[email protected] (03-18-23), Jason Bovberg (03-20-23)
Old 03-18-23, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

I was caught a little off-guard by the structure of the movie, so the first time I saw it, even though I enjoyed it, it felt very long.

The second time, now that I knew the story's progression, it played out wonderfully, feeling faster than the first time.
Old 03-18-23, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m in the same boat. It took me two tries to get through it. I didn’t care for it much. After all the accolades, I feel like I should give it another shot but with my initial “meh” reaction to it plus the bloated runtime, makes giving it a second shot more of a chore than it should be.

I felt like the entire thing was amateurish and overly convoluted. Even the performances weren’t particularly great.
Yeah, I don't get the praise. And agree on "maybe it'll play better upon rewatch" but have absolutely zero inclination to sit through that nonsense again.
Old 03-18-23, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I first saw it with my eldest daughter before Christmas. I loved it so much I watched it again a week or so later with all my friends. Now with the Oscar buzz my wife and second daughter are wondering what they are missing out on and are ready to watch it. I don't know if I'm ready for a third time yet. It's a long movie.

I rented it twice so at this point I should have just bought the damn thing.
Old 03-20-23, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I first saw it with my eldest daughter before Christmas. I loved it so much I watched it again a week or so later with all my friends. Now with the Oscar buzz my wife and second daughter are wondering what they are missing out on and are ready to watch it. I don't know if I'm ready for a third time yet. It's a long movie.

I rented it twice so at this point I should have just bought the damn thing.
Or subscribe to Apple+ for a month.
Old 03-20-23, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Don't do that - at least for this movie. It's on Showtime.

And I am glad that I'm not the only one who just doesn't see this as all that great and life-changing a film. Maybe I'll rewatch some day, but I'm not up for another watch yet.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (03-20-23)
Old 03-20-23, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

This is completely anecdotal, but I think it speaks a lot to the power of the film. One of my best friends has a 17-year-old daughter. She has the typical jaded teenager syndrome but has also suffered from depression, suicidal thoughts. My friend said her daughter cried for 10 minutes after watching this. It really struck a chord in her.

Despite all its silliness, the movie does tap into some emotions for a lot of people. Or maybe because of all the silliness, people let their guard down and then unexpectedly find poignancy at the end.
The following 5 users liked this post by clckworang:
[email protected] (03-20-23), Brian T (03-21-23), Crocker Jarmen (03-20-23), tanman (03-28-23), TomOpus (03-20-23)
Old 03-20-23, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Don't do that - at least for this movie. It's on Showtime.
I was thinking of other content to watch while having the app anyways. But I would prefer Apple+ to Showtime. To each, I guess.
Old 03-20-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

I was thinking of other content to watch while having the app anyways. But I would prefer Apple+ to Showtime. To each, I guess.
​​​​​I'm confused. You're suggesting that instead of watching Everything Everywhere on Showtime, he should subscribe to Apple TV+ and watch other things?
Old 03-20-23, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocket1312
​​​​​I'm confused. You're suggesting that instead of watching Everything Everywhere on Showtime, he should subscribe to Apple TV+ and watch other things?
I think he's suggesting that if you are going to have to subscribe to either Apple+ or Showtime, he would prefer to subscribe to Apple+ for a month. Not everyone is already subscribed to Showtime.
Old 03-20-23, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I think he's suggesting that if you are going to have to subscribe to either Apple+ or Showtime, he would prefer to subscribe to Apple+ for a month. Not everyone is already subscribed to Showtime.
But what does that have to do with Everything Everywhere, which is on Showtime and not Apple TV+?
Old 03-20-23, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

But what does that have to do with Everything Everywhere, which is on Showtime and not Apple TV+?
Wait, so Everything, Everywhere, All at Once is not, in fact, everywhere all at once?!

Get Lionel Hutz on the phone! Not since The Neverending Story have I seen such false advertising!
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Decker (03-20-23), tanman (03-28-23)
Old 03-20-23, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Though, to be fair, it did in fact win everything.
Old 03-20-23, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

And All At Once.
Old 03-20-23, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,006 Likes on 624 Posts

Obligatory:

Old 03-20-23, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm. Now that is a good question.

Maybe Tom can explain that. I own the movie so had no idea on where it was streaming. Tom's post gave the impression he knew. Maybe he owns some Apple stock.
Old 03-21-23, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Though, to be fair, it did in fact win everything.
The woman nominated for Best Supporting Actress lost. Loser couldn't even force a tie.
Old 03-21-23, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang
Hmm. Now that is a good question.

Maybe Tom can explain that. I own the movie so had no idea on where it was streaming. Tom's post gave the impression he knew. Maybe he owns some Apple stock.
If I owned Apple stock i certainly wouldn't be hawking it online on a forum that might not be here next year. It was just a suggestion. Yes, I saw that it was on Showtime, I subscribe to neither service. I just thought Apple+ had more to offer. I guess I am wrong and Showtime is amazing.

Subscribe to Showtime!

happy now?
Old 03-21-23, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I owned Apple stock i certainly wouldn't be hawking it online on a forum that might not be here next year. It was just a suggestion. Yes, I saw that it was on Showtime, I subscribe to neither service. I just thought Apple+ had more to offer. I guess I am wrong and Showtime is amazing.

Subscribe to Showtime!

happy now?
This is a dumb conversation and I apologize for continuing it, but I still don't understand! The poster wanted to watch Everything Everywhere again and you suggested he subscribe to Apple even though the movie isn't on that service. No one thinks Showtime is amazing, but that's where the movie that he wanted to watch is available! Suggesting he subscribe to Apple if he wants to watch Everything Everywhere doesn't help him at all unless you think he'd be better off skipping the movie and watching Ted Lasso instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
[email protected] (03-21-23), GoldenJCJ (03-21-23)
Old 03-21-23, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Subscribe to Showtime!
happy now?
Showtime does still have a free 30 day trial, that's how I saw the movie.
Old 03-21-23, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a dumb conversation and I apologize for continuing it, but I still don't understand! The poster wanted to watch Everything Everywhere again and you suggested he subscribe to Apple even though the movie isn't on that service. No one thinks Showtime is amazing, but that's where the movie that he wanted to watch is available! Suggesting he subscribe to Apple if he wants to watch Everything Everywhere doesn't help him at all unless you think he'd be better off skipping the movie and watching Ted Lasso instead.
No, I appreciate the followup question because his answer made his initial response even more bewildering.
Old 03-21-23, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Actually this isn't a bad idea. I have a trial code for buying a new laptop a couple months ago. I was just waiting to redeem so I could marathon all of Ted Lasso. That just started back up so I'll give it a few more weeks which will also give me some more buffer time between EEAAO viewings.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.