Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

Originally Posted by Brian T
I've noticed a comment here and there on the interwebs (mostly YouTube as I recall) claiming Jackie Chan would've been ideal for Quan's role, or even Yeoh's role (!), but THANK GAWD that never happened (and not only because of my distaste for what Chan actually represents nowadays).
Yeoh’s role was initially conceived for Jackie Chan, and it’s easy to picture the rubber-faced action-comedy superstar pulling off the confusion of an everyman exploring his newfound powers. Yeoh was always part of the original dream cast too, as the wife.

“At first we were like, ‘Action movie, going to star a dude,'” Scheinert admits. But, Kwan adds, “We were having trouble figuring out the casting for the father figure, and one of us started wondering what happens if we take Michelle’s character and flop it and she becomes the protagonist. And the film just opened up in a completely different way.”
Chan could pull off Alpha Waymond and WKW Waymond, but not squirrel Waymond. He'd make it too slapsticky.
Old 01-30-23, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

I honestly wouldn’t mind spending more time with the 4 main Asian characters, the family.

A new adventure with another big star taking over a different role instead of Jamie Lee.
Old 01-30-23, 05:10 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

So happy Michelle Yeoh ended up being the lead. She was amazing so was Quan and even Curtis who I did not recognize at first.

it’s quite amazing a movie as bananas as this is getting so much film critics attention.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 611 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Chan could pull off Alpha Waymond and WKW Waymond, but not squirrel Waymond. He'd make it too slapsticky.
He'd be . . . different at this point. But he'd have brought so much baggage, and an advanced age at this point. Yeoh was a much better choice for the lead, and Quan was a far better choice for Waymond, and his smaller cult status was ideal to keep the focus on the role, not the guy playing it, for a lot of viewers I'm sure. I'm sure the Daniels could've done something interesting with Chan, once upon a time, but I'm so thankful they didn't, or couldn't. I could picture Chan overdoing it while trying to get an Oscar nomination for something like this (to go with his honorary one), whereas Quan probably wasn't expecting something like that at all after so long in the wilderness, which makes it all the more sweet.
nando820 (01-30-23)
Old 02-04-23, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Just watched this. Feel like I'm really late to the party.

My very first impression, like a lot of people, was basically what the hell did I just watch. I think it was somewhat mediocre in the aspects of the movie that I was expecting, a multiverse, sci-fi action movie. I thought the multiverse aspect was very creative but felt a little like a cheap matrix knock-off. Same thing with the sci-fi part of the movie. It was just king of mediocre. But, none of that really matters because despite the absolute balls to the wall craziness the real story is about philosophy, nihilism, existentialism, our place in this world and more simply; family. That's where the story really shines. The performances really kick the movie up to where it deserves to stand, on top of the oscar race. The last chapter is where it really comes together. Where you can interpret whatever you need to from the themes that are presented. It really is an incredible and deeply moving story.
The following 2 users liked this post by tanman:
[email protected] (02-05-23), Crocker Jarmen (02-05-23)
Old 03-13-23, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
I would LOVE to see EEAAO celebrated with a Best Picture win. It's the kind of ambition and originality the Academy should be rewarding. But I expect them to reward something stodgier but still challenging, like Tar. I could get behind a Banshees win, but with far less enthusiasm than EEAAO.
Stunned but very gratified that EEAAO took the big prizes (and seemingly ALL THE OTHER PRIZES). And of course all the cranks are out there today decrying the win. It's true, the Oscars aren't what they used to be, for better or for worse. I'd still maintain that it's a very deserving winner, for many reasons. It's innovative, full of energy, totally joyous. It's a perfect movie for our time, and yeah, that's encompassing its flaws, too. Its message about connection and kindness in a fractured, narcissistic world--very timely. There's just something about this movie, in my opinion, that eludes a lot of people. It's something that REALLY connects with younger audiences. Which is why it STILL surprises me that this film won over the stodgy voters.

Last edited by Jason Bovberg; 03-13-23 at 04:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jason Bovberg:
Brian T (03-14-23), tanman (03-14-23)
Old 03-13-23, 03:13 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm in the minority here, but I caught this over the weekend on Showtime. I could only watch the first 30 minutes of it before I gave up and turned it off. Just couldn't get into it.
Old 03-13-23, 03:42 PM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

There's just something about this movie, in my opinion, that eludes a lot of people. It's something that REALLY connects with younger audiences.

It’s the frenetic, in-your-face style that almost immediately turns a lot of people off and keeps them at a distance from what is ultimately a very simple story about generational trauma and familial relationships. And I agree about younger viewers. I’ve seen it five times in theatres now and each time there has been at least one walk-out (usually around the time “Joju Chewbacca”😅 starts killing people with rubber dildo nunchucks). I notice that most of the people that give up and leave early tend to be… of a certain age.
The following 2 users liked this post by CristonCole:
Brian T (03-14-23), IBJoel (03-13-23)
Old 03-13-23, 06:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I think this one demands a repeated viewing to full grasp what’s going on. It took twice for me and after that second time, it stuck the landing without even flinching.
Old 03-13-23, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Not everyone is going to love this movie and jump on its bandwagon. I said it when I initially watched it last year, it’s not for everyone. I know some here thought it was too weird, too long and some thought it was overrated. And some simply don’t understand it. And that’s totally cool. Not all critically acclaimed movies are loved by everyone. My Mother is a fan of Michelle Yeoh, but this movie is not for her.

I saw it twice in the theater and for me it took the second viewing to really appreciate and understand the story and the message it was trying to convey.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Crocker Jarmen (03-13-23), IBJoel (03-17-23)
Old 03-13-23, 06:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

^ definitely not for everyone. I wouldn’t even recommend it to my not so movie fanatic people. My mom asked to see it and I said, nope you’ll hate it or at least not get it.
Old 03-13-23, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
I'm in the minority here, but I caught this over the weekend on Showtime. I could only watch the first 30 minutes of it before I gave up and turned it off. Just couldn't get into it.
I’m in the same boat. It took me two tries to get through it. I didn’t care for it much. After all the accolades, I feel like I should give it another shot but with my initial “meh” reaction to it plus the bloated runtime, makes giving it a second shot more of a chore than it should be.

I felt like the entire thing was amateurish and overly convoluted. Even the performances weren’t particularly great. I’m happy for all the actors who won because I’m a fan of theirs in general but not for this movie.

The editing was damn impressive though and worthy of an Oscar.
Old 03-13-23, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Well I stand corrected. I didn't think the Academy would award best picture to a film with a dildo and butt plug fight. Clearly I was wrong.
Old 03-13-23, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Not everyone is going to love this movie and jump on its bandwagon. I said it when I initially watched it last year, it’s not for everyone. I know some here thought it was too weird, too long and some thought it was overrated. And some simply don’t understand it. And that’s totally cool. Not all critically acclaimed movies are loved by everyone. My Mother is a fan of Michelle Yeoh, but this movie is not for her.
I appreciate seeing this attitude, rather than the common internet discussion that turns into, "Well, if you didn't like this it's because you were too stupid to get it and probably only like [insert juvenile franchise] movies!"
Old 03-14-23, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya

I saw it twice in the theater and for me it took the second viewing to really appreciate and understand the story and the message it was trying to convey.
Part of the problem, for me anyways, I thought I knew what kind of movie it was. Then my expectations were severely subverted and it really only comes together at the very end. I kept trying to keep up with all the crazy stuff only for it to just melt away into the family drama that it was really about. So it's really the last 20% of the movie that really makes the whole movie worth it. So people who didn't stick with it until the end, or becoming jaded, I can really see them not enjoying it.
Old 03-14-23, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stunned but very gratified that EEAAO took the big prizes (and seemingly ALL THE OTHER PRIZES). And of course all the cranks are out there today decrying the win. It's true, the Oscars aren't what they used to be, for better or for worse. I'd still maintain that it's a very deserving winner, for many reasons. It's innovative, full of energy, totally joyous. It's a perfect movie for our time, and yeah, that's encompassing its flaws, too. Its message about connection and kindness in a fractured, narcissistic world--very timely. There's just something about this movie, in my opinion, that eludes a lot of people. It's something that REALLY connects with younger audiences. Which is why it STILL surprises me that this film won over the stodgy voters.
I was really happy to see it win as well. Definitely the most deserved win in a long time (IMHO of course). I was afraid that All Quiet or Tar would have one a few. I really didn't like either of those. They were the typical overrated pretentious Oscar bait that comes out year after year. EEAAO was very unique and brought something new to the table.
Jason Bovberg (03-14-23)
Old 03-14-23, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Finally caught it last night, and was a bit disappointed, just because based on what people were saying, I was expecting it to be more bizarre. And while I was watching it, I had assumed that the "all at once" section was going to be flat out bonkers. But then it came and it was just a little 5 minute nothing section of the film. Overall was neat, though.

Last edited by joeblow69; 03-14-23 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-14-23, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I think almost every Oscar winning movie has to be seen through the lens of now and then about ten years later. There are movies that I didn't care for when they won their awards but do now, and others that won and then later you are asking yourself why. Besides, should anyone take any of these awards shows too seriously? They really are not too far removed from high school popularity contests.
Old 03-14-23, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I think almost every Oscar winning movie has to be seen through the lens of now and then about ten years later. There are movies that I didn't care for when they won their awards but do now, and others that won and then later you are asking yourself why. Besides, should anyone take any of these awards shows too seriously? They really are not too far removed from high school popularity contests.
Yep. I’ve found that my tastes RARELY line up with Oscar voters. The last time I agreed with the best picture winner was 15 years ago when No Country for Old Men won.

The Academy and I don’t exactly see eye to eye.
Old 03-15-23, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The Academy and I don’t exactly see eye to eye.
That brings up an interesting point. It would be fun to know how many votes each nominee gets. Doubt it will ever be public.
Old 03-15-23, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Watching this movie because of the Oscars and I'm only 20 minutes in but WTF
Old 03-16-23, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Hopefully that’s a good WTF because it only gets more WTF from there .

Old 03-16-23, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who wrote this thing

Because of kids and a short attention span it takes me days to finish a movie. I'm a third of the way in the first time she successfully you know and I love how the subtitles refer to the other as Bagel Deidre. I don't remember a bagel though.

JLC deserved that win (no one is saying Yeoh didn't, and everyone is saying Angela Bassett was robbed... Her movie is next).

Are spoiler tags needed in this thread?
Spoiler:
I have never seen anything like you before. You are the suckiest worst version of yourself

And her telling Waymond she would have been better off without him ouch that was assholish

Last edited by GatorDeb; 03-16-23 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-16-23, 10:49 PM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I'm a third of the way in the first time she successfully you know and I love how the subtitles refer to the other as Bagel Deidre. I don't remember a bagel though.
You don’t recall seeing a bagel in this movie?
Old 03-16-23, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CristonCole
You don’t recall seeing a bagel in this movie?
That came ten minutes later

I edited the post you commented on

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.