Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
re: Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

It felt a little like Turning Red from the mother's POV. It is gloriously insane, but with a ton of heart. Loved Short Round in this, too.

All I want to say is Raccoocoony!
The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
Ginwen (04-05-22), John Pannozzi (01-30-23)
Old 03-28-22, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
re: Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

I remember seeing this trailer and thinking, "That looks like a hell of a lot of fun!" That and, "DAMN, I still love Michelle Yeoh. She's older, but I'm still infatuated..."

This is a MUST SEE MOVIE.
Old 04-05-22, 12:17 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-30-23)
Old 04-08-22, 10:51 AM

A Note from Daniels

Dear Movie Lovers,

There is just too much. Too much to think about, too much to hold on to, too much to fight against. Too many people to talk to, too many restaurants to eat at, and definitely, definitely too many movies to watch.

At the end of 2016, when we started to write Everything Everywhere All at Once, we were already feeling the too-much-ness of it all. We asked ourselves, why add to the noise? In a world where everything and everyone is clawing for our attention, where billion dollar corporations see every single minute of our lives as potential real estate to be bought up and sold off for profit, asking anyone for two hours of their time to watch one of our films felt like asking for, well... too much. We realized if we were going to make a film and ask an audience to give us that precious time, the only responsible thing to do in return was to blow their minds and change their lives forever. Or, at the very least, we were going to attempt that.

Movies can change lives. Though the cynical parts of our hardened hearts often come close to forgetting this fact, it is why we became filmmakers in the first place: films changed our lives. We carried those films with us into the writing process as we weathered years of increasing political polarization and a global pandemic, all the while, our newsfeeds filled evermore with contradictions and chaos. We felt the too-much grow into too too-much. Everything was stretching, all the seams were being exposed, and most troubling to us, our movies, our stories – our cultural glue – felt too slow to keep up. Film production moves at the speed of years, the world was moving at the speed of milliseconds.

Writing Everything Everywhere All At Once was a foolish prayer to a cold, indifferent universe. It was a dream about reconciling all of the contradictions, making sense of the largest questions, and imbuing meaning onto the dumbest, most profane parts of humanity. We wanted to stretch ourselves in every direction to bridge the generational gap that often crumbles into generational trauma. It was an attempt to create the narrative equivalent of the Theory of Everything. A Big Data approach to myth-making. A post-genre deconstruction of traditional narrative. A maximalist's manifesto for surviving in the noise of modern life. And holy shit, these two clowns named Daniel were not up for the challenge.

We struggled for many years to crack the code for this script. We went to weddings and we went to funerals. Had kids, became uncles. Planted trees; the trees grew fruit. And every year, the too-much grew. We were the proverbial room of infinite monkeys, diligently smacking away at our typewriters, hoping to stumble upon a script that could hold all of this, and not break. Eventually, we got close. Close enough. We knew if anyone was going to be able to help us over the finish line, it would be our friends. It was time to bring in our crew.

If our script was a prayer, then our movie was a miracle, and the hands doing God's work belonged to the film crew/family we had slowly collected over the course of our decade long careers as directors. Though our script would have made most industry veterans laugh in our faces, we had faith that our film family was ready to handle the task of creating a film that tried to touch infinity but with the budget of a rom com. With only 40 days of principal photography we were trying to make 7 or 8 movies all at the same time, we averaged over 30 lighting set ups a day, we used every single possible camera lens, played in every genre. We made an entire action movie in the same amount of time some Hollywood blockbusters shoot a single set piece but in an environment that promoted safety and respect above all. From the dizzying number of costumes and looks, to the clear and confident flow of the editing and sound design, every frame of this film is filled with their love, passion, and trust. We knew with our crew we could get even closer to making a movie about everything, but we would have to find the right cast to ground the blistering chaos.

Oh, lord, this cast. Between giving the unmistakable Ke Huy Quan his first American role in decades, showcasing the fact that the legendary James Hong still has more to offer even after nearly a century of being in the industry, allowing space for the iconic Jamie Lee Curtis to fully let her beautiful freak flag fly, and introducing cinemagoers to the undeniable talent of Stephanie Hsu, there is no doubt that bringing this cast together will be one of the things we are most proud of in our careers. Despite all of that, we cannot imagine many things in our lives ever topping the fact that Michelle Yeoh said yes to this movie. Not only did Michelle say yes and dive right into the deep end with us, she practically triple back flip cannonballed in. This movie does not exist without her incredible talent and her unwavering trust in our team. This movie is a miracle because she is a miracle. To be a part of any one of this cast's legacy is a privilege enough. But to have even a small hand in revealing to the world all of the untapped potential of these Asian actors who have been waiting their whole careers for roles that demanded this much range and this much heart, is truly soul-bending.

So now after many years of miracles piling onto miracles, the movie is coming out in theaters everywhere. Working on this film has been one of the most beautiful and fulfilling experiences of our lives. We hope many of you see yourselves in the characters. We hope you laugh, cry, and throw your hands up and enjoy the ride in a theater full of strangers. We hope it gives you the beginnings of a vocabulary for better understanding the too-much and how to to exist in it. But most of all, we hope after you watch it, even if you agree we didn't quite reach our goal of including everything, that at least you feel included in this giant, messy, group hug of a film.

From these two Daniels, the cast, and our entire crew, thank you for giving us two hours of your attention. We tried our best to not waste it.

Daniel Kwan & Scheinert
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
Jason Bovberg (04-08-22), John Pannozzi (01-30-23), tanman (02-04-23)
Old 04-08-22, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

This is in theaters now. It already has a lot of buzz, but I'll add mine. It's wonderful.

I wrote about it here, if you're interested:

"Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert’s Everything Everywhere All at Once is an adrenaline blast directly to the heart and cerebrum both—spastic, uproarious, mind-bending in all the right ways, a twisty-thrilling emotionally resonant phantasmagoria of multiple wacky dimensions spanning the breadth of the universe as well as the bonds within a single family. If you’re the right kind of moviegoer, this one’s gonna hit you directly in the sweet spot, as long as that sweet spot has been nurtured by pop culture and The Matrix and Yuen Woo-ping martial arts and Ratatouille. It’ll make you laugh uncontrollably one moment, and then squeeze helpless tears from your googly-eye ducts the next. It contains the lowest, grossest forms of juvenilia and the grandest, most essential questions of life—and everything in between. It is a wild, frenetic miracle of celluloid, and we should celebrate every crazy moment of it."
Wolf359 (04-09-22)
Old 04-08-22, 06:42 PM

This was wild. There's stuff in this movie you will for sure never have seen before.

Michelle Yeoh rules.
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
devilshalo (04-10-22), tanman (02-04-23), Wolf359 (04-09-22)
Old 04-08-22, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

I want to see this so badly, but I'm away on vacation this upcoming week and I'm afraid that by the time I get back next weekend it will be gone from my local theaters. Hopefully it does well enough to stick around for another week.
Old 04-09-22, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Saw this today and I'm in awe. This is just wonderful. It manages to be over the top silly and deeply heartfelt and meaningful. Can't wait to see it again. Probably go in my top 25 films of my life.
John Pannozzi (01-30-23)
Old 04-09-22, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

The most unique original thing I've seen in years. Fantastic. Do not miss this.
Wolf359 (04-09-22)
Old 04-09-22, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Curious how long this will stick around in theaters. You really can’t ask for more buzz and rave reviews across the board.

RT: 97% critics, 94% Audience.
Old 04-10-22, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Went to see it Friday with the Family. How do you explain a movie like this? I would not even try, just highly recommend you watch it and in theaters.
Old 04-10-22, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ke Huy Quan deserves some consideration for his acting.. for his first acting gig back after 20+ years... he was pretty damn awesome.
Old 04-10-22, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Curious how long this will stick around in theaters. You really can’t ask for more buzz and rave reviews across the board.

What's great is going through the audience reviews on RT. They're all either 5 stars or 1 star. You either LOVE this movie, or HATE it, but the majority seem to be in the former category.
Old 04-10-22, 09:43 AM

It is the highest-rated feature on letterboxd too: https://letterboxd.com/dave/list/off...feature-films/
https://letterboxd.com/crew/story/ev...nce-including/
Old 04-10-22, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Ke Huy Quan deserves some consideration for his acting.. for his first acting gig back after 20+ years... he was pretty damn awesome.
The film deserves tons of accolades. Yeoh should be an Oscar nominee for this. I don't see how any other film could even compare in the editing category. But will it actually get the recognition when the time comes...?
Old 04-10-22, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

I saw Jamie Lee Curtis on something and she said this film has been finished for 2 years, they held it this long. Wow.

If that’s true, they should have dropped it in November or December and hoped for a Best Picture nom
Old 04-10-22, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, D: Kwan & Scheinert) S: Michelle Yeoh

I'm in the theater now, waiting for the movie...

Trailers up... Now!
Old 04-10-22, 01:54 PM

I saw Jamie Lee Curtis on something and she said this film has been finished for 2 years, they held it this long. Wow.

If that’s true, they should have dropped it in November or December and hoped for a Best Picture nom
Filming finished two years ago, but the film probably had extensive post due to the edit and VFX.
Old 04-10-22, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do love that the LLC for this film is Hotdog Hands. Yeah, I wouldn't even know how to edit this. There's a good scene breakdown talking about the complexity of some shots because the two actors weren't even in the same country.

Old 04-10-22, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What the fuck did I just see? 😲

Wow. That was weird. Way out there. But good. I wouldn't say it was a great movie, but it was very good. Totally bizarre, but also very touching and heartfelt. It hit a lot of buttons, and got most of them right.

John Pannozzi (01-30-23)
Old 04-11-22, 04:31 PM

I did particularly like the Wong Kar Wai homage scene.

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
DJariya (04-11-22), John Pannozzi (01-30-23)
Old 04-11-22, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I really wanted to like this movie but the problem was I was confused the whole time.
Old 04-11-22, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Just got back from seeing it and I loved it. It's so different and a total mind trip. I know there's going to be some that will have a tough time following this movie because it's so busy. I admit, for the 1st half of the movie, I had almost no idea what I was watching.

But to me everything came together in the 2nd half and I was able to figure out the point of the movie. Its beautifully filmed and edited and has some pretty trippy special effects. I think this is one of the highlights of Michelle Yeoh's long career. I loved the chemistry she had with Ke Huy Quan. Jamie Lee Curtis was funny in her role as well.

This movie isn't going to gel with everyone. People with really short attention spans are probably going to struggle with it. But, I think this worked for me because of Yeoh's performance and because it was so different. It's also super long at 2 1/2 hours. I had a large Coke Zero and I dying to go to the bathroom in the final act "Part 3 - All at once", but I didn't want to miss anything.

and yes I loved the ode to Wong Kar Wai scene. It was so obviously a play on In the mood for love. Quan did a good job with his take on Tony Leung's character traits from that movie.
Old 04-11-22, 09:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

The hype for this movie is insane right now. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but it sounds like a total winner. Looking forward to seeing it when I can.
Old 04-11-22, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
The hype for this movie is insane right now. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but it sounds like a total winner. Looking forward to seeing it when I can.
I'm seeing it for the 3rd time Wednesday. It's glorious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.