Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Strange World (2022, D: Hall/Nguyen) V: Gyllenhaal, Quaid, Young-White, Union, Liu

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Strange World (2022, D: Hall/Nguyen) V: Gyllenhaal, Quaid, Young-White, Union, Liu

Old 12-09-21, 10:07 AM

Received 3,035 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Disney has announced its next animated feature will be titled “Strange World.” The original action-adventure is scheduled to debut around Thanksgiving 2022.

The studio on Thursday also shared concept art and plot details, but stopped short of revealing the film’s voice cast. “Strange World” centers on the legendary Clades, a family of explorers whose differences threatened to topple their latest and most crucial mission. On Instagram, Disney Animation teased that “Strange World” “journeys deep into an uncharted and treacherous land where fantastical creatures await.”

Don Hall, whose credits include “Big Hero 6” and “Raya and the Last Dragon” is directing “Strange World.” He says the movie is a nod to pulp magazines, popular fiction from the first half of the 20th century that was printed on inexpensive wood pulp paper.

“I loved reading the old issues of pulps growing up,” he said. “They were big adventures in which a group of explorers might discover a hidden world or ancient creatures. They’ve been a huge inspiration for ‘Strange World.'”

Qui Nguyen, who co-wrote “Raya and the Last Dragon” with Hall, is returning to co-write the screenplay for “Strange World. Roy Conli (“Big Hero 6,” “Tangled”) is producing.

Though the release calendar could change before then, “Strange World” is currently set to premiere in theaters on the same day as “The Fabelmans,” a semi-autobiographical drama about director Steven Spielberg’s upbringing in Arizona.

Disney has come to own Thanksgiving at the box office, with family-friendly animated movies like “Frozen,” “Coco,” “Moana” and “Frozen II” becoming massive commercial successes around the holiday. This year, Disney opened “Encanto,” a musical fable about a magical Colombian family, around Turkey Day. By COVID-19 standards, “Encanto” is faring well at the box office with domestic ticket sales at $60 million and global revenues nearing $120 million.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...te-1235129812/
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-09-21)
Old 07-07-22, 02:19 PM

re: Disney's Strange World (2022, D: Hall/Nguyen) V: Gyllenhaal, Quaid, Young-White, Union, Liu

Old 07-07-22, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 306 Likes on 195 Posts
re: Disney's Strange World (2022, D: Hall/Nguyen) V: Gyllenhaal, Quaid, Young-White, Union, Liu

Definitely seems like a decent attempt at adding in Studio Ghibli fantasy elements in a Disney movie. Should be a fun experience.
Old 07-07-22, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Damn, for a second, looking at this image on my small phone screen, I thought this was done in traditional animation. I got really excited for a second!
Old 07-08-22, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Damn, for a second, looking at this image on my small phone screen, I thought this was done in traditional animation. I got really excited for a second!
Same.

To be honest, I am kinda' getting tired of CGI animated flicks and would love to see more returns to classic animation.
Old 09-21-22, 09:10 AM

In theaters November 23!

The feature film introduces a legendary family of explorers, the Clades, as they attempt to navigate an uncharted, treacherous land alongside a motley crew that includes a mischievous blob, a three-legged dog and a slew of ravenous creatures. “Inspired by classic adventure stories," said director Don Hall, “‘Strange World’ is an original animated adventure/comedy about three generations of the Clade family who overcome their differences while exploring a strange, wondrous and oftentimes hostile world.”

The voice cast includes Jake Gyllenhaal as Searcher Clade, a family man who finds himself out of his element on an unpredictable mission; Dennis Quaid as Searcher’s larger-than-life explorer father, Jaeger; Jaboukie Young-White as Searcher’s 16-year-old son, Ethan, who longs for adventure; Gabrielle Union as Meridian Clade, an accomplished pilot and Searcher’s partner in all things; and Lucy Liu as Callisto Mal, Avalonia’s fearless leader who spearheads the exploration into the strange world. “Strange World” is helmed by Don Hall (Oscar®-winning “Big Hero 6,” “Raya and the Last Dragon”) and co-director/writer Qui Nguyen (co-writer “Raya and the Last Dragon”), and produced by Roy Conli (Oscar®-winning “Big Hero 6,” “Tangled”).
Old 09-21-22, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 872 Likes on 634 Posts
Re: Disney's Strange World (2022, D: Hall/Nguyen) V: Gyllenhaal, Quaid, Young-White, Union, Liu

I thought I had posted but I guess I didn't. I'm in for stuff like this oddball world.