Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Ghostbusters: Afterlife?
3.92%
17.65%
47.06%
11.76%
5.88%
5.88%
1.96%
1.96%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
1.96%
Will wait to see it sometime in 2022
1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 11-18-21, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,017 Posts

From director Jason Reitman and producer Ivan Reitman, comes the next chapter in the original Ghostbusters universe. In Ghostbusters: Afterlife, when a single mom and her two kids arrive in a small town, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters and the secret legacy their grandfather left behind. The film is written by Jason Reitman & Gil Kenan.

Running Time: 124 minutes

Rated: PG-13

RT Score: 66% as of 11/18/21

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_afterlife

The OG cast was interviewed on CBS Mornings today

This opens Friday, but showings start this afternoon. I plan to see it around 4pm today

There is reportedly 2 post credit scenes.

Old 11-18-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Putting aside the puffery of the interview, that was actually a whole ton of fun to watch. It really was cool to see everyone in that firehouse, and the bit with the fire fighter next to Paul Rudd worked. I think I saw the OG film with my brother, and it would be kind-of cool if I could see this film with him instead of just going by myself.
Old 11-18-21, 07:25 PM

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,403 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

It was OK.

I really liked the opening scene. I was happy and surprised to "see" Egon. His presence was used well throughout the film. And then they definitely got me with the ghost Egon helping Phoebe with the proton pack.

Mckenna Grace was really good... as were Coon and Rudd. I like Wolfhard, but he's kind of a non-factor here.

The exposition dump phone call of what happened in the last 35 years with Phoebe and Ray was really bad, IMO. I did think the original cast would have more of a role in this. They are really just cameos.

Olivia Wilde as Gozer.

to J.K. Simmons cameo.

Two scenes in the credits... one feels like it was cut from the main feature. The second one was good and interested to see where they will go with it.
Old 11-18-21, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 506 Likes on 354 Posts

I really liked it. More than I expected. This should satisfy those that hated the 2016 film. I'm sure they'll bitch about having kids this time. Saw this in Dolby Cinema. Sound was boomin'.
Old 11-18-21, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 98 Posts

Loved it. Tons of fun and a lot of heart. Ghost Egon really got me and that was great to see. My only nitpick is the originals should have had a grander entrance.

Now give me a sequel with Winston bankrolling the crew.
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (11-26-21)
Old 11-18-21, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,017 Posts

I just got back from seeing it. I really enjoyed it as well. Good new characters and a little nostalgia thrown in as well. McKenna Grace impressed me. She was really good and handled herself so well.

Loved the Harold Ramis "cameo" during the climatic scene. They did a great job with that. Was not expecting it considering the opening sequence used a Silhouette of his likeness.

And the appearance from the OG crew was about what I expected from this movie, but it still brought a smile to my face. Seeing them look over at Egon as they were fighting at the end was a nice touch.

Rudd and Coon were good adult characters. When I saw the end credits say "And Sigourney Weaver", I was like where? and then she appears in the 1st post credit scene. The 2nd scene with Annie Potts and Hudson was a nice little capper.

and the sound for this was amazing. I saw it in Dolby and the whole theater shook with some heavy bass.
Old 11-18-21, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 506 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
. When I saw the end credits say "And Sigourney Weaver", I was like where? and then she appears in the 1st post credit scene.
Same reaction. Started thinking back "Where could I have missed her?"
Old 11-18-21, 11:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I should have rewatched the the two films before this. Ray said the firehouse turned into a Starbucks, yet isn’t that where Winston was at the end?

Edit: Apparently Winston talked about that in his speech at the end.

Last edited by 0073735963; 11-19-21 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-19-21, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 405 Likes on 302 Posts

Saw it tonight. Enjoyed it. Could never be as funny as the original, so they don't try, but really wished Venkman had brought more to his part, comedy-wise. Very sentimental and the Ramis ghost did look fantastic.

Not to nitpick, but the idea that even decades later, the Ghostbusters would be a forgotten thing is hard to swallow. The Statue of Liberty climbed off her pedestal and stomped around NYC for fuck's sake.

I know that the original GB still finds new audiences with kids, so I expect this will find that audience as well.

And yes, for those of us old enough, seeing Bill and Dan do something together again after so many years, and likely for the last time is special.
VinVega (11-26-21)
Old 11-19-21, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

I just got back from seeing it, too. Amazing. And sad at the end. Made me miss my Dad.

A little predictable with the Keymaster and Gatekeeper roles but oh well. I was hoping to see Rick Moranis. Maybe next time.
The following 2 users liked this post by nickdawgy:
DeanoBKN (11-20-21), VinVega (11-26-21)
Old 11-19-21, 02:10 AM

Received 682 Likes on 407 Posts

I just got back from a 10:00pm show, which was the last show of the night in the AMC and that means if you show up at 10:10pm to avoid trailers, you don't get any popcorn. I picked a seat pretty high up for the IMAX theater, the same one I was in last night for The Eternals, but I moved up toward the front around 15 minutes in. As the lights went down, three guys took their seats a couple rows above me and wouldn't stop whispering and looking at their phones. Five minutes later, a huge family of close to 20 people, including little kids, came in and took up the entire far side right across from me. The adults started whispering, and I said nope, I'm done. Moved down front.

It's Sony so they played the Spider-Man: No Way Home trailer right before the movie. For those of you who are active in the thread for that movie:
Spoiler:
The clip where some believe Spider-Man is jumping down to save MJ and still holding his mask in his right hand and it was supposed to be digitally erased, it is now fully digitally erased from the trailer in the theater.

This was pretty good, not amazing, for me. The parts are better than the whole. It feels like The Force Awakens version of Ghostbusters. That's not terrible, but I had a similar vibe from it overall. I really liked all the lore and worldbuilding that was great, especially Ivo Shandor! The effects were good, and the original crew felt like themselves. Egon was used to good effect, very tasteful and fun. I'm not a Paul Ruds fan of but thought he did well. I laughed out loud quite a bit at both visuals and dialogue, that was fun.

The kids are great. Every one of them is believable and they carry the movie really well. McKenna Grace was of course especially amazing,, bit they all were great. Podcast and Ray, so good!

For the scope of the movie, it felt a little long. I think a lot of it could've been truncated to get things moving, especially in the beginning. The original was 20 minutes shorter and still accomplished a lot. The score was unimpressive and I was surprised at the lack of songs, given the popularity of the other two film's soundtracks. McKenna Grace sings the song during the credits, by the way, and she's good.

I want to watch it again with my family before rating it, but right now it feels like a 3.5/5 star movie for me. I'll see how I feel in the morning and after a second viewing later.
Old 11-19-21, 04:38 AM

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Was an okay movie. The 1st half buildup was most effective as McKenna Grace made for an appealing new protagonist and her discovery of her Ghostbusters' heritage made for some entertaining moments. She had some amusing interactions with Podcast and her teacher (Paul Rudd). Finn Wolfhard had his moments too, but didn't really develop as much of a character after the halfway point and the girl he had a crush on just kind of drifted in and out of the story as a convenient plot device with minimal substance. The mom character was just annoying throughout.

For awhile, I was rather enjoying Jason Reitman's more grounded and less zany approach to the material in contrast to his father's original films. But any chance the movie would continue for something fresh and original goes out the window as the 2nd half turns into an overlong and bloated special effects fest and a by-the-numbers rehash of the first movie. It was great to see the old gang back together again (even if one of them was there only as a CGI spirit), but even then the whole finale was very predictable and uninspired, conjuring up some certifiable nostalgia for the original Ghostbusters, but little else.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 11-19-21 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-19-21, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 98 Posts

I wonder if they softly retcon GB2 out? They mentioned they blew the roof off a building but yeah no mention of liberty walking around.

But I agree it's hard to believe Ghostbusters were forgotten.
Old 11-19-21, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Egon at the end blew me away. Amazing. Absolutely a touching last 15 minutes or so. The rest of the movie was very average. I thought they tried way to hard to recreate everything from the first movie, which going in I thought wouldn't bother me, but it was just way too much.
Old 11-19-21, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Like the Eternals, not getting the critics hate. This was fantastic. I didn't find the entire film was a point out stuff from the original, at all. Sure, there were some big obvious things (Ecto 1, Gozer. Stay Puft), small ones (like the DO NOT DISTURB MAID sign, the Nestle Crunch Bar) and weird ones (why would Eagon put a firepole in a farm?) but, in the end, listen, this movie made no bones about it wanting to be a love letter to the film we all love. It was most certainly that but I also feel it managed to do it's own thing with a surprising Speilbergian touch (at least for the first half of the flick). McKenna Grace was amazing right down to the final tune in the closing credits. Those who have read it's not funny...those critics must have watched another flick. I, and the audience I was with, laughed throughout . . . even at the running cheesy jokes gag. I was most surprised by how touching it was in parts. Yeah, that ending got me, too.

Only gripe...seriously, no love for SLIMER!

Well, maybe saving something for the sequel?

My biggest laugh out loud moment was the Venkman revenge moment with Dana in the credits.

story (11-19-21)
Old 11-19-21, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE=
Not to nitpick, but the idea that even decades later, the Ghostbusters would be a forgotten thing is hard to swallow. The Statue of Liberty climbed off her pedestal and stomped around NYC for fuck's sake.

[/QUOTE]

I feel this can go two ways depending on how you want to roll with Afterlife:

1) It, like the recent Halloween films, is a direct sequel to the original and retcons out Ghostbusters 2
or
2) If you want to believe Ghostbusters 2 still happened in Afterlife then you can tell yourself the kiddos saw those videos as well but not on screen
John Pannozzi (12-29-21)
Old 11-19-21, 10:13 AM

Received 682 Likes on 407 Posts

I don't think the movie ever said that the Ghostbusters are a forgotten thing. It's that those particular kids didn't know about them. Maybe that's a stretch for Podcast, since he's into all of this stuff (by the way, of course Ray is his subscriber, love it!). But it doesn't surprise me that Phoebe and Trevor don't know about them because that's exactly the kind of thing their mom would keep from them. Callie kept everything about Egon quiet, so it's not a stretch that she would've gone so far as to actively attempt to hide the past. I think the Statue of Liberty wasn't mentioned because that wasn't tied to Ivo Shandor and 550 Central Park West like the mine in Summerville. It isn't necessary to the plot, so it's out. Given how many other bits of nostalgia and easter eggs relevant to the first film are in this one, I don't think it's really a miss.
Old 11-19-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
I don't think the movie ever said that the Ghostbusters are a forgotten thing. It's that those particular kids didn't know about them. Maybe that's a stretch for Podcast, since he's into all of this stuff (by the way, of course Ray is his subscriber, love it!). But it doesn't surprise me that Phoebe and Trevor don't know about them because that's exactly the kind of thing their mom would keep from them. Callie kept everything about Egon quiet, so it's not a stretch that she would've gone so far as to actively attempt to hide the past. I think the Statue of Liberty wasn't mentioned because that wasn't tied to Ivo Shandor and 550 Central Park West like the mine in Summerville. It isn't necessary to the plot, so it's out. Given how many other bits of nostalgia and easter eggs relevant to the first film are in this one, I don't think it's really a miss.
Actually, you make a good point. In fact, Rudd's character even says something like, at one point, to Grace's character "You of all people don't know about..." and she replies "I'm 12!"
The following 2 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
John Pannozzi (12-29-21), story (11-19-21)
Old 11-19-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by story View Post
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Actually, you make a good point. In fact, Rudd's character even says something like, at one point, to Grace's character "You of all people don't know about..." and she replies "I'm 12!"
Okay, but if you really want to examine this, think about what the original Ghostbusters events would be in the history of America. A giant marshmallow man came to life and attacked NYC. Lady Liberty came to life and walked around NYC.

IDK because I am not around any teenagers, but they all know what 9/11 is, right?

And yes, Paul Rudd's teacher knows about the Ghostbusters because he is played as a nerd, but wouldn't every person in America over 40 be 100% aware of who the Ghostbusters were, what the Ecto-mobile looked like, at least what the logo was?

Like I said in my first post, it can be a nitpick, but the complete lack of recognition (not just from the kids, but from everybody) is odd, and for me was played wrong.

And since you brought it up. I don't buy for a minute that Callie would hate her father so much that she would never have told her kids who he was, especially once they packed up their lives to move into his old house. At some point, they had to look around and say "Who the fuck was this guy?"
Also, Callie has a daughter who looks like her father, acts like her father, and loves science. The daughter feels like an outsider in the world. What mom wouldn't comfort her daughter with the information that the grandfather she takes after was a famous hero scientist?

But like I said, nitpick.
Old 11-19-21, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post

And since you brought it up. I don't buy for a minute that Callie would hate her father so much that she would never have told her kids who he was, especially once they packed up their lives to move into his old house. At some point, they had to look around and say "Who the fuck was this guy?"
Also, Callie has a daughter who looks like her father, acts like her father, and loves science. The daughter feels like an outsider in the world. What mom wouldn't comfort her daughter with the information that the grandfather she takes after was a famous hero scientist?

But like I said, nitpick.
I also thought it was weird how Callie introduced herself to Venkman like he wouldn’t know her. None of them would’ve known Egon’s kid, even for a little bit?
Old 11-19-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I also thought it was weird how Callie introduced herself to Venkman like he wouldn’t know her. None of them would’ve known Egon’s kid, even for a little bit?
Callie had to be born in the 1980s, so they really played fast and loose with the timeline here.
John Pannozzi (12-29-21)
Old 11-19-21, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Elephant in the room...who's Callie's mom? Janine?
Old 11-19-21, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Elephant in the room...who's Callie's mom? Janine?
No, not Janine. They met at the house for the first time.
Old 11-19-21, 01:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that this was essentially

“Ghostbusters: The Force Awakens”

This is a B.

It’s a good passing of the torch, but you know what ingredient they’re missing from the original two movies?

More smart-ass one-liners from Bill Murray. This needed so much to have Bill Murray throughout the whole movie.

Ivan Reitman made a ghost comedy.

Jason Reitman made a ghost adventure.
Old 11-19-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
No, not Janine. They met at the house for the first time.
Oh yes, totally remember that now (unless she never met her mother...don't recall if that was touched on).

Biggest laugh in my theatre was the "Are you a God" callback.
Shannon Nutt (11-20-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.