Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Ghostbusters: Afterlife?
4.76%
15.87%
44.44%
14.29%
6.35%
6.35%
3.17%
1.59%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
1.59%
Will wait to see it sometime in 2022
1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 11-08-22, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I feel like I'm just observing a husband and a wife arguing and they suddenly turn to me and want me to choose a side.

I purposely didn't watch that other film because everyone says how terrible it is and how it's not part of the franchise. I wanted to keep this as good of an experience as possible so decided to just watch those three. I'm kind of curious to see what I think of the THAT movie as well since I don't have all these decades of baggage going in to it. But I think I'll separate it out by a long time period so it doesn't really taint this experience. As it stands these three movies stand quite well together so I'll keep it at that for now. Maybe next Halloween....
You're not wrong in your assessment of the other film. Many people do not consider it part of the main Ghostbusters franchise, as it really is unrelated. Most fans only consider there to be three Ghostbusters film at the moment. When the 216 film was announced many fans bristled at the laziness of the "What if we made Ghostbusters but with women" premise. That led to a lot of idiotic arguments that don't need to be repeated. The cast and filmmakers of the 2016 didn't do themselves any favors by actively shitting on the franchise and fanbase during production and promotion of the film either. Fans had been wanting another movie for years. We got what we got with the 2016 reboot. It's poor reception led to a true, in canon, sequel with afterlife.

Last edited by jjcool; 11-08-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-08-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 965 Likes on 609 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

The 2016 movie is fine. Not good, not bad, just fine. Has some funny moments and cool gadgets. Kate McKinnon steals it along with Chris Hemsworth. Totally worth a watch and you can do so without affecting how you feel about any other Ghostbusters movie.

I definitely prefer it to Afterlife, which is somehow a Ghostbusters movie without a single funny joke.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-17-22)
Old 11-09-22, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 309 Likes on 211 Posts

I thought 2016 was absolutely awful. Afterlife didnít have many laughs, but that didnít bother me at all because I thought it was an excellent movie . I loved it.
Old 11-09-22, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 590 Likes on 409 Posts

I didn't think the 2016 is as bad as many say. I think some of the vitriol is a reaction against it due to love of the original. However, there are some real cringe moments in the 2016 film.
Old 11-10-22, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 143 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I feel like I'm just observing a husband and a wife arguing and they suddenly turn to me and want me to choose a side.

I purposely didn't watch that other film because everyone says how terrible it is and how it's not part of the franchise. I wanted to keep this as good of an experience as possible so decided to just watch those three. I'm kind of curious to see what I think of the THAT movie as well since I don't have all these decades of baggage going in to it. But I think I'll separate it out by a long time period so it doesn't really taint this experience. As it stands these three movies stand quite well together so I'll keep it at that for now. Maybe next Halloween....
We have to wait a whole year?
Old 11-10-22, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 642 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
We have to wait a whole year?
It's not spooky movie season anymore.

Plus it's y'alls ghostbusters fan's fault for the insane reaction to that movie.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-17-22)
Old 11-10-22, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

The longer you put it off, the better.
Old 11-17-22, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 156 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
I saw Ghostbusters in the theaters just before I turned five. The librarian ghost may have scarred me for life, but my kids ended up doing much better with it at that age!
I saw Ghostbusters when I was thirteen and the audience reaction to the ghost librarian's "Shhh!" was a loud gasp followed by laughter. As to the makeup of the audience I do not think it was any different from other '80s PG films. My family probably went to see it after it generated some buzz but I had watched SNL at that point and we had cable too so the comedy style was not beyond me.

I enjoyed Ghostbusters: Afterlife and I look forward to more films in the future.

And in the process of looking up some Ghostbuster info I saw that Kymberly Herrin, Playmate and 'Dream Ghost' in the original film, has recently passed.