Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Ghostbusters: Afterlife?
4.69%
15.63%
43.75%
14.06%
6.25%
6.25%
3.13%
3.13%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
1.56%
Will wait to see it sometime in 2022
1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 11-02-22, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,109 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by devilshalo
So it's the Looney Tunes of the theatrical world? With adult themes and comedy that go right over the heads of children?
My older brother made me watch Ghostbusters a lot when I was a kid. I never really cared for it. Cut to about 14 years later when it first came out on DVD, I watched it again as an adult and thought it was hilarious. There were a million jokes that went over my head as a kid that I caught as an adult.

Hell, I was watching a clip from Ghostbusters just the other day and still caught something that I missed. When they’re on the TV in their Ghostbusters commercial, Venkman says, “..24 hours a day 7 days a week. No job is too big. No fee is too big…”

I just now caught the “no fee is too big” line and it made me laugh. Bill Murray even puts an added emphasis on “fee”. That kind of stuff went over my head numerous times watching it.
Old 11-02-22, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,117 Likes on 809 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang
And we totally missed the dark irony in the marshmallow man.
The marshmallow man is ironic!! So, yeah, you did miss that.
Old 11-02-22, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,117 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
You are absolutely exhausting.
You can just say I'm right. You know I am. You all don't have to disagree with me out of habit.
Old 11-02-22, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 652 Likes on 502 Posts

I don't understand why Count Dooku's stance is so controversial. Yes, Ghostbusters is beloved by those of us that were kids when we first saw it. However, none of us were the intended audience nor was it created with the intention for it to serve as family entertainment. No movie that features one of the leads getting a blowjob from a ghost (that it was re-edited into a dream sequence is inconsequential) would ever be perceived or intended as a family film.
Old 11-03-22, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

One of my fondest childhood memories is me and my brother playing in the park one summer afternoon in 1984, and our father pulling up in his van, sliding open the side door and urging us to get in because we were going straight to the movies to see Ghostbusters.

Back then, I don't think the filmmakers were thinking in terms of "children's movies" and "adult movies". It had only been about 16 years since films could have profanity, graphic sex/nudity, and bloody violence. Before then, films would be mature, but in terms of what they showed, they were appropriate for all-ages. They knew Ghostbusters wasn't as adult as something like A Clockwork Orange or An American Werewolf In London or even National Lampoon's Vacation. It would have been considered a movie for "general" audiences. Adults may enjoy it on a higher level, but it wasn't explicitly for adults only because there was hardcore nudity and profanity ect.

Ghostbusters is merely suggestive. You only know he's getting a blowjob joke if you already know what a blowjob is.

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 11-03-22 at 01:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Obi-Wanma (11-03-22)
Old 11-03-22, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts

Marvel movies are not “family films” either with lots of violence, killing, and swearing and all rated PG-13. But I guarantee you lots of kids are being “taken” to them.

Whether or not you remember it, lots of kids saw Ghostbusters. Like others here, I was 8, and saw it in the theater, and every kid I remember at school had seen it, and I also remember seeing it at multiple large sleepovers. And like most kids the blowjob joke just went over my head (as well as the implied unseen sex between Dana and Louis), and I enjoyed all the cool and funny parts, as intended.
Old 11-03-22, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 999 Likes on 705 Posts

I think the thing we have to remember is that back in 1984, entertainment options weren't nearly as stratified as they are today. Nowadays I can find dozens of shows or movies that are targeted specifically at my 4 year old. And they are quite different than the things that are specifically targeted at my 8 year old. In the 80's, once you moved past Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers, everything was pretty much fair game until you got into R territory. Ghostbusters may not have been made specifically for children, but surely the expectation was that children were going to see it. I was too young to see it in a theater, but I clearly remember watching it with my sister and our friends on HBO circa 1987. We would have all been in the 4 to 7 age range.
​​​​​
Kurt D (11-07-22)
Old 11-03-22, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 760 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I don't understand why Count Dooku's stance is so controversial. Yes, Ghostbusters is beloved by those of us that were kids when we first saw it. However, none of us were the intended audience nor was it created with the intention for it to serve as family entertainment. No movie that features one of the leads getting a blowjob from a ghost (that it was re-edited into a dream sequence is inconsequential) would ever be perceived or intended as a family film.
As usual with Dooku, his stance changes as he gets proven wrong, but let's look at his original posts about this.

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
When Ghostbusters was released in 1984, it was not a "family film" or one that children were taken to see. People in 1984 knew that Murray, Ackroyd, and Ramis were not in the kid-friendly comedy business.

It was the Real Ghostbusters cartoon that introduced the property to children, and is in part to blame for the mediocrity of GB2.
This is all completely untrue. Children clearly were taken to see this movie. It was rated PG. It might be considered racy by some using today's standards, but it wasn't then. Besides, I think the budget of this film for its time necessitated it reaching beyond just an adult audience.

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I know a six year old who loves scary things and loves Ghostbusters. He doesn't understand a single one of the jokes.He just wants to watch the action scenes where they shoot at ghosts with their proton guns.
I guess it depends on what jokes you're talking about. There's a ton of physical humor. You've also got Moranis running around talking with a funny voice. There is humor on all levels in this film. Again, this was for a general audience, not just adults.

No one is claiming this was a film designed strictly for children, but to say that it wasn't a family film during its time of release is an attempt at rewriting history or just more evidence of Dooku's pathological need to feel he's right about all things.
Old 11-03-22, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 760 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I think the thing we have to remember is that back in 1984, entertainment options weren't nearly as stratified as they are today. Nowadays I can find dozens of shows or movies that are targeted specifically at my 4 year old. And they are quite different than the things that are specifically targeted at my 8 year old. In the 80's, once you moved past Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers, everything was pretty much fair game until you got into R territory. Ghostbusters may not have been made specifically for children, but surely the expectation was that children were going to see it. I was too young to see it in a theater, but I clearly remember watching it with my sister and our friends on HBO circa 1987. We would have all been in the 4 to 7 age range.
​​​​​
This is all very true. Plus, it was the beginning of the video age, and it's not like you had all these resources today to tell you every inappropriate word or scene. Even at a very young age, I remember going with my parents to rent movies. It's not like they knew all these movies. My parents would usually get something for them, something for the whole family and maybe let each kid get a request. Sometimes we'd see something inappropriate. We survived. Sometimes we even learned.
Old 11-03-22, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Yup. I've found that lots of movies I enjoyed as a kid I have second thoughts about showing my kids. Like we watched Back to the Future in the park and I prepared myself for the whole "wait does his mom want to sleep with him" conversation. And I doubt my kids will watch Police Academy or Caddyshack at least not anytime soon.

I did watch Gremlins with them though, and they had the same reaction I had when Phoebe Cates goes on about what happened to her dad.
Old 11-03-22, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
but…but…Count Dooku says…
If he says it must be so, you know that the opposite is far more likely to be true.
Old 11-03-22, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 750 Likes on 548 Posts

^ Police Academy and Caddyshack were rated 'R' though.
Old 11-03-22, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And for good reason (though it didn't stop them from making a PA cartoon). I just remember that pool joke being so good.

But I guess the lesson is my parents let me watch a ton of stuff I shouldn't have.
Old 11-03-22, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 750 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
And for good reason (though it didn't stop them from making a PA cartoon). I just remember that pool joke being so good.

But I guess the lesson is my parents let me watch a ton of stuff I shouldn't have.
Depends how you watched them. If they just took you to the movies and left you, that's one thing... if it was thru cable tv, that's quite different. I saw Caddyshack on cable in 8th grade which would have made me about 13.
Old 11-03-22, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends how you watched them. If they just took you to the movies and left you, that's one thing... if it was thru cable tv, that's quite different. I saw Caddyshack on cable in 8th grade which would have made me about 13.
I'm pretty sure it was VHS/Beta rentals because they were definitely uncensored (and I would cover my eyes, kinda, for the naughty parts).
Old 11-03-22, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

My mom showed us Police Academy when it came out on video in 85 (I was 7, my sister 6). We weren't even interested, she had to get us hyped up for it by telling us how funny it was. She did fast-forwarded through a couple parts, though.
Old 11-04-22, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah. Broken clock and all that. It also helps when he is constantly moving the goal posts on his arguments.
Old 11-04-22, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,072 Posts

My parents subscribed to every cable channel and I don't remember a single time they told me I couldn't watch something. When VHS rentals at the grocery store would do things like "5 movies for a buck" I would get all kinds of stuff. I turned out just fine.

I did the same with my old kids - I never really told them what they could and couldn't watch. But they were quickly more interested in watching YouTube videos than movies, though during his junior and senior years my son started to get more into them (like he wanted to watch all the Terminator movies).

I mean, my parents took me to see Robocop in the theater (and they also had toys and a cartoon from that one). I wouldn't call that a family film, but I certainly saw it with my family.
Old 11-04-22, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Oh hell, I’ll say it …

Three?
Originally Posted by jjcool
Seven?
We just typing random numbers here?
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Being a virgin to the Ghostbusters franchise, I would be curious about what you thought of the 2016 reboot that produced a ton of discord and fan backlash.
Ahem.
Old 11-05-22, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Loved this movie. 4.5/5. Puts the franchise back on track.
Old 11-06-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ahem.
So you do know how to include quotes in a reply.
Old 11-06-22, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

When they are needed, yes.
Old 11-07-22, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Clearly.
Abob Teff (11-07-22)
Old 11-07-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,900 Likes on 1,269 Posts

"You'll be picking many a bean."
Old 11-07-22, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 974 Likes on 681 Posts

Oh hell, I’ll say it …

Three?
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Being a virgin to the Ghostbusters franchise, I would be curious about what you thought of the 2016 reboot that produced a ton of discord and fan backlash.
Originally Posted by clckworang
You should read his post then.

Edit to add: Oh, wait. You're referring to that other film. I had forgotten about the female-led film. That would be interesting.
Ahem.
I feel like I'm just observing a husband and a wife arguing and they suddenly turn to me and want me to choose a side.

I purposely didn't watch that other film because everyone says how terrible it is and how it's not part of the franchise. I wanted to keep this as good of an experience as possible so decided to just watch those three. I'm kind of curious to see what I think of the THAT movie as well since I don't have all these decades of baggage going in to it. But I think I'll separate it out by a long time period so it doesn't really taint this experience. As it stands these three movies stand quite well together so I'll keep it at that for now. Maybe next Halloween....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.