Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Ghostbusters: Afterlife?
4.69%
15.63%
43.75%
14.06%
6.25%
6.25%
3.13%
3.13%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
1.56%
Will wait to see it sometime in 2022
1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-21, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

With Thanksgiving coming up, I hope this gets a little word of mouth and more people are inspired to see it during the long weekend coming up.

I mean it's competing against Encanto and House of Gucci. I really doubt that House of Gucci is going to bring in big numbers. 2 hour and 37 minute melodrama with fake Italian accents. Ghostbusters I think appeals to a larger audience.
Old 11-21-21, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021, D: J. Reitman) -- S: Coon, Rudd -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

The RLM guys were not fans of this.
Old 11-22-21, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoyed the film; I agree with the other posts that McKenna Grace and Logan Kim were great.
Old 11-22-21, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Echoing others here - really like this a lot. Grace was fantastic. I’ll be keeping an eye on any other roles she does. Everyone was good really. Story was a hair thin but such a love letter to the original as well as a great tribute to Ramis.

Everyone else in my theater left after the first post credit scene. You’d think people would have learned by now.
Old 11-23-21, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
The RLM guys were not fans of this.
Are they fans of anything?
The following 2 users liked this post by zero:
DJariya (11-23-21), JeremyM (11-24-21)
Old 11-23-21, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

The person who gave it the worst review in the poll only has 1 post in 8 years and of course he chose not to chime in this thoughts. Freaking lurkers.
Old 11-23-21, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The person who gave it the worst review in the poll only has 1 post in 8 years and of course he chose not to chime in this thoughts. Freaking lurkers.
Well just wait until they actually see the movie
Old 11-23-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I saw it yesterday and was really enjoying it until the Wal-Mart scene began. It just seemed suddenly out of place with no reason at all (except for fan service for the marshmallow men and for Rudd to have a similar scene to Moranis). The movie then just became a retread of the original which was disappointing after such a great beginning 2/3. I still enjoyed it as a whole but they could have done the reunion without having to copycat the first movie. It was doing so well up until that point.

Even my 17 year old son turned to me at the end and said that the best parts of the movie were the discoveries made by the main little girl and that the end was too similar to the first movie.

The little girl was the best actor in the movie. The humor mostly hit well and the podcast kid was pretty damn funny without being annoying which amazed me. Rudd was great and the ending scenes with Harold Ramis were touching.

I thought the score was great. I felt Rob Simonsen did an excellent job of capturing the soul and main themes of the original score by Elmer Bernstein without completely copying it note for note. But I can see some may complain it was too on the nose.

I saw this movie at an AMC Prime and the sound was rocking as others have said! Some of the best bass I have heard lately and that includes all the recent comic book flicks.

Anyway...good, fun movie. The original GB is a kid's movie made for adults. This was a kid's movie made for kids/tweens but without enough nostalgia for adults to still enjoy. Let's just hope that if they do a sequel, they will try to be more original like the first 2/3 of this movie.

My rating: ***1/2 out of *****

ps...The scenes with Rudd showing Cujo and Child's Play on VHS were fucking awesome. That was my high school in the late 80's...except ours was on film or reel to reel.
The following users liked this post:
Lipid (01-08-22)
Old 11-24-21, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I lovd it but one thing that bugged me; You have this kid named "Podcast" Doesn't have a go pro camera to film all this amazing ghost sightings?

In the age of TikTok/YouTube you're telling me not one of the kids pulled out their phone to record anything???
IBJoel (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Hope this isn't a spoiler, but did anyone notice Ray's tattoo: "Revelations 6:12"

Someone want to tell him the book is called "Revelation"?

Then again, in the original GHOSTBUSTERS movie, I think Ray said, "I remember Revelations 7:12..." so at least he's corrected PART of it.

WHY do movies/TV shows ALWAYS get that wrong...I mean, it's not like we don't live in a heavily Christian/Catholic society. Off topic, but one of my favorite things about EVIL on Paramount + is that they always call it "Revelation" - a little thing, but it doesn't make the characters seem like morons.
Old 11-24-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A lot of people refer to it as "The Book of Revelations," and shorten it to "Revelations."

I think that putting the "s" on the end sounds more grammatically correct, so many people instinctively do that.
John Pannozzi (12-29-21)
Old 11-25-21, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Saw it tonight with my friend. Liked it, but didn’t love it. Tonally I thought it was good. I liked the actress who played Phoebe.

It just felt like the kids very easily fell into being Ghostbusters to me. I would have been more accepting if the original three cast members showed up earlier to help the kids figure things out.

I know that the spirit of Spengler was guiding Phoebe along and all, but it still didn’t completely work for me.

The nods to the original film didn’t bother me too badly, but at the same time I wish they hadn’t completely reused the same villain plot over again.

Also the random Walmart sequence and the product placement was cringey.

It was great seeing Venkman, Stantz, and Zeddemore at the end. I think the main thing with this film is that it really made me wish we would have gotten a proper third film in the nineties or early 2000s.

Ultimately I still think the video game might be the follow-up I still enjoy the most. I wanted to like this more than I did is my main issue.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-25-21 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-26-21, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I lovd it but one thing that bugged me; You have this kid named "Podcast" Doesn't have a go pro camera to film all this amazing ghost sightings?

In the age of TikTok/YouTube you're telling me not one of the kids pulled out their phone to record anything???
Not all podcasts are filmed (similarly, were you expecting the same of the 3 sleuths in Only Murders in the Building?). They were a small podunk town

Logan Kim really channeled Chunk from Goonies and Vern from Stand By Me. Partially interested in the future of the franchise as concerns the last post credit scene.
Old 11-26-21, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Not all podcasts are filmed (similarly, were you expecting the same of the 3 sleuths in Only Murders in the Building?). They were a small podunk town

Logan Kim really channeled Chunk from Goonies and Vern from Stand By Me. Partially interested in the future of the franchise as concerns the last post credit scene.
Yeah, I didn't know any podcasts were filmed. All the ones I listen to (mainly true crime) are just audio.
And I agree, totally got the 80s odd-kid out vibe from Podcast only, in this age, he's kind of the cool kid. Geeky got popular!
Old 11-26-21, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Yeah, I didn't know any podcasts were filmed. All the ones I listen to (mainly true crime) are just audio.
And I agree, totally got the 80s odd-kid out vibe from Podcast only, in this age, he's kind of the cool kid. Geeky got popular!

I think many use Zoom or similar software to record the audio and while on, they are on video with each other. Then they edit and upload the audio only to podcast provider etc.
Old 11-26-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
A lot of people refer to it as "The Book of Revelations," and shorten it to "Revelations."

I think that putting the "s" on the end sounds more grammatically correct, so many people instinctively do that.
Yeah "The Book of Revelation" is about the Apocalypse(reveal)* of Jesus. That is what John was specifically writing about.

An apocalypse (Ancient Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis, from of/from: ἀπό and cover: κάλυψις, literally meaning "from cover") is a disclosure or revelation of great knowledge. ... There are many other books from the Jewish and Christian world that can be classified as apocalypses.
John Pannozzi (12-29-21)
Old 11-26-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

The problem is it's ONE Revelation, not a bunch of them - ask any Bible scholar.

Anyway, it looks like GHOSTBUSTERS is going to end this weekend in the 90 million range domestically (cumulative North American total) - that's a pretty good take so far.
Old 11-26-21, 06:17 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Saw the movie today. I definitely got choked up at the Egon ghost scenes when he was visible and even when he wasn't. That was really the most enjoyable part of the film for me. McKenna Grace really did a great job as Phoebe even if some of the lines written for her were a bit cheesy. She really felt like Egon's granddaughter.
Old 11-27-21, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
No adult Oscar was a huge letdown.
I'm guessing that was out of respect considering one of the brothers committed suicide several years ago.
Old 11-27-21, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by wakwak007
I really enjoyed the film; I agree with the other posts that McKenna Grace and Logan Kim were great.
I thought they both were fantastic and I'm completely on board watching the sequels with them.

As for this film.... I think once was enough for me. It's one hell of an emotional ride, especially the end.

Thankfully, this film succeeds where TFW and that garbage sequel trilogy completely fails.

... at least we were able to see the original leads all together one last time.
Old 11-27-21, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I'm guessing that was out of respect considering one of the brothers committed suicide several years ago.
If they had wanted to add Oscar to the movie, I'm sure it would have been a completely different actor than either of the original babies anyway, so I doubt that would have been a factor. My biggest fear was that they would have gotten Josh Gad to play him. Luckily, he only played Muncher and didn't really negatively impact the movie.
Old 11-27-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

A little late than never - From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (PG-13) - A stunningly nostalgic and respectful sequel to the original 80’s classic comedies keeps the busting business all in the family.

Standing ovation here for director Jason Reitman for making such a wonderful “true to the spirit” film that extends his father’s (Ivan Reitman) 1984 comedy classic into 2021. Everything about “Ghostbuster: Afterlife” is about family history, honoring it, and even picking up the mission to complete what forefathers began.

It’s no real secret about where the plot centers. In the week or so after Egon Spengler has passed away, his estranged daughter Callie (Carrie Coon) moves her teenage son Trevor (Finn Wolfhard) and daughter Phoebe (McKenna Grace) to Summerville, Oklahoma to take possession of their grandfather’s ramshackle property, dubbed “The Apocalypse Farm.” Strange things are afoot, so to speak, as Phoebe notices and experiences unexplained events while in the house, and uncovers not only secrets Egon has hidden there over the decades, but finds uniforms, books and equipment from his years as a Ghostbuster.

In the meantime, Trevor works to be accepted by some of the local teens and falls for beauty Lucky (Celeste O’Connor), who eventually finds certain aspects of his awkwardness to be charming. Also, Trevor makes the crucial discovery of the hidden ECTO-1 vehicle in the barn, and manages to get it running just in time.

Phoebe and her new friend from summer school Podcast (a very funny Logan Kim) have hit it off with their teacher Grooberson (Paul Rudd) when Phoebe not only shows him how intelligent she is (like her grandfather), but brings a ghost trapper she found in the house to school. Unfortunately, when Grooberson attempts to activate the trap using a bus battery, he unleashes something that stems all the way back to Ivo Shandor, the architect of Summerville and, if you recall, the original haunted New York apartment building featured in the original Ghostbusters.

The newly formed teen Ghostbusters end up attempting to stop the reentry of Gozer (yes, that Gozer) back into the world, and we are treated to the original Slimer’s metal eating cousin, tons of mini-Stay Puft marshmallow men, terror dogs that spell trouble for Callie and Grooberson, and the flat-topped Gozer (now played by Olivia Wilde).

Before it’s all over, we get to see the original surviving members of 1980s Ghostbusters team with their young counterparts and, if you are not at least fighting back tears by the completely sweet, touching and important “return” of the uber intelligent collector of spores, molds, and fungus, then check your pulse.

The entire film is a giant heartfelt homage, both visually and tonally, to the first two movies - it was exactly what I was wanting. And to quote Mrs. Orbi-Wan (her first in-theater movie since the pandemic shutdowns), it was fantastic. “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” earns a solid 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers from the Old Jedi, and I hope to see a follow-up at some point using the younger cast.

NOTES TO PARENTS (MILD SPOILERS): “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” is rated PG-13 for supernatural action/mayhem and some sly sexual references. Language is extremely light for a PG-13 movie, I heard s*** only once, d**n and h**l a couple of times, and no F-bombs at all. The ghosts and monsters are basically presented on the same level as the original movies, as is the ghost-busting action. There are brief references to “boning”, “humping”, and “virgin sacrifice”. One teen’s bra is briefly seen as she is suiting up for battle.

MID AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: Mid-credit scene - Brief scene between Peter and another original cast member revisits his shenanigans using the cards and shock box from the first movie. After-credit scene - A conversation between Janine and Winston and a promising scene featuring the firehouse and ECTO-1 shows how one never stops being a Ghostbuster.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES www.orbiwanblogs.me/moviereviews.

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
B5Erik (03-16-22)
Old 11-28-21, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
Saw the movie today. I definitely got choked up at the Egon ghost scenes when he was visible and even when he wasn't. That was really the most enjoyable part of the film for me. McKenna Grace really did a great job as Phoebe even if some of the lines written for her were a bit cheesy. She really felt like Egon's granddaughter.
I liked all of her 'terrible' jokes.. the cigarette/hamster one especially!
Old 11-29-21, 05:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Really liked this! I hope Disney is taking notes, because this is how to properly honor legacy characters.
Old 11-30-21, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GLSWIA123
Really liked this! I hope Disney is taking notes, because this is how to properly honor legacy characters.
Giantrobo (12-01-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.