Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

More technical things in movies that annoy you?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

More technical things in movies that annoy you?

Old 11-07-21, 04:25 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts
Re: More technical things in movies that annoy you?

As someone said before: Audio. I hate when they have some constant drone of white noise or machine noise going on in the background when dialogue is in process, making the dialogue difficult to hear let alone understand. Sound effects that blow your speakers out right when you're straining to hear WTF someone is saying. We got to the point where we select subtitles before we even begin a movie so we're not missing anything. Bad thing about that is it detracts from the movie you're trying to watch when you're constantly reading the subtitles.
Old 11-07-21, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Can you imagine how baffling our daily conversations about things like wi-fi networks, 4K, 5G, cloud storage, rebooting the OS and compression algorithms, would seem to people from only a couple of generations ago?
You mean like me?
Old 11-08-21, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 142 Posts

Oh, here's another one:

Drives me nuts when that's in every fucking phone number on tv or in a movie. Couldn't the phone company have given them a less conspicuous fake number to use?
This might be my #1 hate, takes me right out of a movie. One of the worst examples was a Clint Eastwood film, (I forget the name), where he is looking through someone's phone book and all the numbers start with 555.
Old 11-08-21, 08:40 AM

Received 198 Likes on 161 Posts

It always makes me laugh if movies use foreign languages, but have no one on set who actually speaks the language.

This is my personal favorite from "Titans". It's a gas station in Austria. Someone must have used the google translator for "station" and got the translation "Bahnhof" which is German for "train station". A gas station in German is a "Tankstelle".

The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (11-09-21)
Old 11-08-21, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
This might be my #1 hate, takes me right out of a movie. One of the worst examples was a Clint Eastwood film, (I forget the name), where he is looking through someone's phone book and all the numbers start with 555.
That's hilarious. Someone had to type in all those names and numbers for a fake telephone book that one viewer in a thousand will even notice.
Old 11-08-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

The first encounter with a stock sound that I recognized...

Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" album opens in a hospital, and there's a woman's voice on the intercom that says "Doctor Davis, telephone, please. Doctor Davis, telephone, please."

After I listened to that album in 1988, I started hearing that everywhere on television. On one of the soap operas my mother watched, it would be in the background of any scene set in a hospital.
The first time I heard that was on the opening to Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood.
Old 11-08-21, 02:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Squealing tires when a car is just turning normally.
Old 11-08-21, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,519 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by Geddlo View Post
Squealing tires when a car is just turning normally.
The amount is squealing tires sounds when a car is simply pulling away is hilarious. You donít really notice it until you start paying attention. At the very least, a brief tire squealing sound is heard almost every time.
Old 11-08-21, 04:17 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

Squealing tires on a dirt road anyone?
Old 11-09-21, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 190 Likes on 145 Posts

Analog noise on digital sources- seems to happen mostly when someone is talking via webcam or cell phone camera and the signal is cutting out- instead of freezing or pixelating as it would in the real world, the picture gets snowy and if it cuts out even shows the same noise you get when tuning to a blank analog TV channel. An early example of this is Halloween Resurrection, which shows a lot of analog noise on webcams.
Old 11-09-21, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

I get why a lot of these are annoying but many of them do have reasons behind them. It's kind of amazing how many of these are mainly to just move the plot along or using sound to subconsciously key us in on certain moment or feeling.
Old 11-09-21, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I love how every car in every movie has brake problems, making whines/squeaks when they come to a slow stop. I notice it ALL THE TIME.
Old 11-09-21, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Assistant directors and prop masters that can't be bothered to do their job adequately and just assume guns aren't live rather than actually checking the weapon.
Old 11-09-21, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,519 Likes on 993 Posts

Live rounds in guns are definitely annoying.
Old 11-09-21, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Live rounds are definitely bad, but what about when cold drinks are served with no ice.
Old 11-09-21, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
The amount is squealing tires sounds when a car is simply pulling away is hilarious. You donít really notice it until you start paying attention. At the very least, a brief tire squealing sound is heard almost every time.
I'll give a pass to pickup trucks, though. My pickup squeals the tires even through relatively normal acceleration, provided I'm turning at the same time.
Old 11-09-21, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 881 Likes on 668 Posts

Tires will also squeal when turning if they're not at full pressure.
Old 11-09-21, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Especially since spinning tires and spraying gravel make such a cool grinding noise. But sound people love the "ert".

When I watched The Sting, I realized that every single car had the same sound effect of grinding gears. "rrrRRR gzzt rrrRRR" The sound people must have thought that drivers in the 1920s didn't know how to use a clutch.
Old 11-09-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

To-go coffee cups that are clearly empty because there is no weight to them when actors move/carry them.
I realize this is not a "tech" thing, but I fixate on it, and now it becomes a thing to see if my wife or I shout about it first. So maybe....I like it?
majorjoe23 (11-10-21)
Old 11-10-21, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Especially since spinning tires and spraying gravel make such a cool grinding noise. But sound people love the "ert".

When I watched The Sting, I realized that every single car had the same sound effect of grinding gears. "rrrRRR gzzt rrrRRR" The sound people must have thought that drivers in the 1920s didn't know how to use a clutch.
I think it's just something that people expect. Just like that blip blip noise whenever someone is hooked up to a cardiac monitor. There are a lot of bleeps and bloops in a hospital but I've never heard the noises they always have in every single hospital scene. Also there's no constant BEEEEEEEEP whenever someone "flatlines" and dies. But it's a convenient way for the film makers to tell the audience what's going on and when and how to react.
Old 11-10-21, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I think it's just something that people expect. Just like that blip blip noise whenever someone is hooked up to a cardiac monitor. There are a lot of bleeps and bloops in a hospital but I've never heard the noises they always have in every single hospital scene. Also there's no constant BEEEEEEEEP whenever someone "flatlines" and dies. But it's a convenient way for the film makers to tell the audience what's going on and when and how to react.
It's kinda like explosions of space ships where you can see their outer hulls on fire even though that wouldn't be possible in outer space.
tanman (11-10-21)
Old 11-10-21, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 881 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
It's kinda like explosions of space ships where you can see their outer hulls on fire even though that wouldn't be possible in outer space.
I always assumed those fires were from the atmosphere and fuel lines burning from the inside out.
Old 11-10-21, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Out of all the experiments done in space can't we just explode something to see what happens? Just once?