Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Eternals?
0%
4.84%
16.13%
22.58%
19.35%
16.13%
6.45%
1.61%
3.23%
1.61%
3.23%
No interest
1.61%
Will wait to see it in 2022
3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-22, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts
Re: Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I had to watch this a second time yesterday. It doesn’t get any better upon repeat viewings.
Old 01-26-22, 07:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I shouldn't have made the mistake of watching it again. Good for those who loved it, but with the way it's structured and paced, and the heavy blandness, I find it borderline unwatchable.
Old 01-28-22, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Finally got around to it. Some good ideas but overall the worst Marvel movie by a long shot. And I actually didn’t hate Iron Man 2 or Thor Dark World. Guess they had to strike out eventually.

Last edited by The Antipodean; 01-28-22 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-30-22, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

It was OK.

That's it, that's my review.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-01-22)
Old 01-31-22, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Finally got around to it. Some good ideas but overall the worst Marvel movie by a long shot. And I actually didn’t hate Iron Man 2 or Thor Dark World. Guess they had to strike out eventually.
I still haven't watched No Way Home, but I pretty disappointed of every single movie which came out after Endgame. Far From Home had some good elements, but the stupid Euro Trip comedy took me out of it. Black Widow is a movie made by an Marvel algorithm and Shang Chi is only slidly better. Eternals could have worked as a Disney+ show, but failed as a movie.
I still have high hopes for Doctor Strange and Thor, though and I liked all of the Disney+ stuff so far.
Old 01-31-22, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Caught this Saturday night... was sleeping 30 minutes in. It's bad... like Fantastic Four bad. The next wave of Marvel characters isn't for me I suppose.
Old 01-31-22, 12:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Caught this Saturday night... was sleeping 30 minutes in. It's bad... like Fantastic Four bad. The next wave of Marvel characters isn't for me I suppose.
a couple more bombs like this and Marvel will be dropping dump trucks of money at RDjr and Chris Evans' homes.
Old 01-31-22, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 914 Likes on 674 Posts

Do they plan on actually following through with Kit's MCU character or was that just a tease so we could hear Blade?

Took me two days to get through this. Not terrible but not memorable either. All that pre-release build up with buff Kumail only for him to run around with literal finger guns?
Old 01-31-22, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
a couple more bombs like this and Marvel will be dropping dump trucks of money at RDjr and Chris Evans' homes.
Eh, if they go Cosmic (or mystic) and it bombs, they just go back to the well with FF and X-men and I think they'll be fine.

Also if that wasn't leading into some kind of Black Knight role for Kit, that was a complete waste of time.
Old 01-31-22, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Even if Dr. Strange does poorly (I don't think it will), Thor 4, GotG3 and BP2 will still make all the monies.
Old 01-31-22, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Even if Dr. Strange does poorly (I don't think it will), Thor 4, GotG3 and BP2 will still make all the monies.
I think 3 out of 4 the movies will underperform.
Old 01-31-22, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
I think 3 out of 4 the movies will underperform.
There's no reason for any of those movies to underperform.
Old 01-31-22, 03:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the only one I could remotely see underperforming would be DS2, but now unlikely riding high off of his appearance in Spider-Man.
Old 01-31-22, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I imagine Black Knight will be co-featured somehow in Blade, possibly some kind of Arthurian quest related to the ebony blade and vampires and maybe even an MCU version of Dracula, which could be cool.

It’ll hopefully be more rewarding than Harington’s 10 minutes of screen time in Eternals was. 😐
Old 01-31-22, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I imagine Black Knight will be co-featured somehow in Blade, possibly some kind of Arthurian quest related to the ebony blade and vampires and maybe even an MCU version of Dracula, which could be cool.

It’ll hopefully be more rewarding than Harington’s 10 minutes of screen time in
Eternals was. 😐
Or just give the character his own Disney+ series.
Old 01-31-22, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

A while back I read a rumor that they might be setting up a "Midnight Sons" team for the MCU, which would possibly involve Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, Blade, Black Knight (Dane Whitman), Moon Knight, and other supernatural-based characters. Other possible members could include Morbius and Werewolf by Night.

Midnight Sons was a subimprint of Marvel's comic line that included Ghost Rider (both Dan Ketch and Johnny Blaze), Morbius, Darkhold, Nightstalkers (Blade, Hannibal King), and, later, Dr. Strange.
Old 01-31-22, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, that's what I meant by mystic and cosmic, they seem like they want to explore those areas but if both entirely fail for some reason, the X-franchise and FF will be waiting for a revival anyway.
Old 01-31-22, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
A while back I read a rumor that they might be setting up a "Midnight Sons" team for the MCU, which would possibly involve Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, Blade, Black Knight (Dane Whitman), Moon Knight, and other supernatural-based characters. Other possible members could include Morbius and Werewolf by Night.

Midnight Sons was a subimprint of Marvel's comic line that included Ghost Rider (both Dan Ketch and Johnny Blaze), Morbius, Darkhold, Nightstalkers (Blade, Hannibal King), and, later, Dr. Strange.
And Vengeance. They have to set him up at some point, too.

EDIT - but as part of Spirits of Vengeance.
Old 02-01-22, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

With characters like U.S. Agent, Black Knight, Swordsman and Echo teased or introduced, I'm curious how many of them will go nowhere. Sometimes I feel the MCU is waisting talent as well as characters and other times it looks like Marvel has planned a movie or show, which might not happen in the next 3 to 5 years. In Harrington's case it seems logical to have Black Knight in Blade, but what about Swordsman, not a well known actor, only featured as a minor character.
Old 02-01-22, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

I think the biggest way that the Eternals failed is in establishing characters. Obviously not every movie in the MCU will be a huge hit. But, despite quality of the individual films themselves a very intangible thing they've always been able to do is make their characters beloved and above whatever film they're in. For evidence each individual character's sequel has done better and better then the previous film. Despite Thor 2 being largely despised as one of the worst in the MCU people still showed up for Thor 3. Because they love the character of Thor no matter if they were in an average film or not. Even Ant-Man a relatively obscure character with a weird power was able to gain audiences for their second outing. And of course the GotG hit it out of the park and was a smash hit at establishing these character and endearing them to the fans. For more recent examples, even the character replacements have been pretty big hits. Florence Pugh's Black Widow 2 or whatever she'll be known as was a pretty big break out star in an otherwise mediocre MCU film. Hailee Steinfield really established herself as a likeable replacement for Clint. They did a pretty good job at establishing Falcon as the new Cap. Who gives one lick about ANY of the characters in the Eternals. It's REALLY a bad sign when, IMHO, the most endearing character is the senior pudgy Indian valet. And that's in a movie where you have Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Kumail, Two GoT veterans and directed by an oscar winning director?! Like how TF does that even happen????!!!! So now not only is the pooch screwed for this movie but they failed to endear any of these characters to their audience so it really puts future projects in jeopardy. Are they even going to bother with an Eternals 2? I guess they almost have to because of everything they set up. And that's another problem because they set so much up for the next however many phases. How many potential movies/TV shows were set up with this turd?

I really think the comparisons with DC are really more apt then people realize. Even going back to the comics the biggest DC hits were all characters larger then life. The new gods from fictional places like Gotham and Metropolis. Marvel has always had just one foot in reality. Spider-Man was always just a kid from Queens. Even with the MCU they tried, and succeeded, in humanizing all these crazy characters. Even the GotG featuring a talking tree and racoon is a story about framily that we can all relate to on a personal level. There was absolutely nothing relatable to the Eternals at all. They focused too much on plot and not enough on character.
Old 02-01-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The concept of the Eternals is kind of terrible for establishing characters that you can relate to. These people have been around since the dawn of man and are forbidden from interacting except to fight Deviants, so right off the bat they're going to feel really detached from humanity. Even the Indian valet was more of a pet than anything else, when the chips were down Kingo was like welp, nice knowing you. One of them just chilled on the ship waiting to go back. Only Sersi and Phastos really set up roots (well, Druig kind of did I guess) and they probably had the best character moments in terms of actually caring about the humans. And if Harrington was supposed to be the proxy, he was discarded way too quickly and was way too much of a fanboy (nothing phased him, he took everything in stride like it was nothing) to work that way.

I don't think there's a way to really make this work in terms of connecting with the audience without drastically changing the entire concept.
Old 02-01-22, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I really enjoyed the otherworldly-ness of Eternals. Even the battle in the city street didn't involve a bunch of random people. And the final confrontation took place on a deserted island.

I love the MCU and love the formula, but it was nice to see something different here. It offered something new. And you can not like what they offered but I personally thought it was great to mix it up.

As for the DC comparison, it actually worked better for me. Superman tries to be relatable but isn't. The Eternals (aside from Sersi and Phastos) didn't even try. I actually appreciate that.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (02-02-22)
Old 02-08-22, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Woof. Man this movie was boring. Didn't care about 8 of the 10 main characters. Just didn't enjoy it at all. Definitely my least favorite MCU entry.
Old 02-08-22, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Movie nominated for any Razzies?
Old 03-30-22, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

Decided to finally watch this on Disney+. Was putting it off because it was a long movie.

Wow, TERRIBLE. Casting was just bad. Story is dull. Tried 3 separate occasions to watch it and finally gave up after 40 minutes.

First time dropping a Marvel movie.

I skipped the Hulk movie (hate the Hulk), so those are the only MCU movies I have no interest in now.

Can’t believe someone wanted to make this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.