Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Eternals?
0%
4.84%
16.13%
22.58%
19.35%
16.13%
6.45%
1.61%
3.23%
1.61%
3.23%
No interest
1.61%
Will wait to see it in 2022
3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman
In addition to all that they're trying to establish the MCU post EG. They pretty much have to rebuild the MCU and take it new directions and the Eternals was going to be a major engine to that. I really wonder how their plans will change considering it's poor reception.
Weren't the Eternals not Marvel's X-Men substitute anyway, which makes them kind of obsolete since Disney purchased FOX?
Old 01-19-22, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Runaway
Weren't the Eternals not Marvel's X-Men substitute anyway, which makes them kind of obsolete since Disney purchased FOX?
That was the Inhumans
Old 01-19-22, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
My guess is if it took place before IW/Endgame, then there would have been no reason for them not to be involved in trying to stop Thanos in those films.
Originally Posted by Runaway
They could have, but wouldn't be the problem of them not interfering be even bigger. Now they could say our job was killing the Deviants, that's finished so we are done. Now you want them to say, they killed a celestial to safe earth, but did nothing against Thanos? Makes even less sense to me.
In the end it's the same problem of most comic books and movies. Why did no one help Thor when Malekith wanted to turn the universe into eternal darkness, which sounds even worse than Thanos's plans?
Yeah, you guys have a point.
Old 01-19-22, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Celestials were introduced prior to Infinity War in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

For whatever reason, all of the cosmic beings of the MCU (Celestials, and Galactus, Eternity, Living Tribunal, In-Betweener, Beyonder, and whoever else they introduce in upcoming projects) were content to sit that one out.
I figure they alongside Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer, Sub-Mariner snd etc all reside on a different earth/galaxy in the Marvel Multiverse.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 01-19-22 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
I figure they alongside Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer, Sub-Mariner snd etc all reside on a different earth in the Marvel Multiverse.
? A different earth than the MCU? Because they certainly reference the Avengers, Thanos, etc. and say flat out that it happened but they were forbidden from acting on anything.

But yeah, I'm perfectly willing to use comic book/noprize logic to explain their absence if we get cosmic Marvel, mutants, and the FF.

I mean if you really think about it, half the Eternals and presumably half the Celestials even would've been affected, right? Logically they wouldn't sit on their hands for that.
Old 01-19-22, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
? A different earth than the MCU? Because they certainly reference the Avengers, Thanos, etc. and say flat out that it happened but they were forbidden from acting on anything.

But yeah, I'm perfectly willing to use comic book/noprize logic to explain their absence if we get cosmic Marvel, mutants, and the FF.

I mean if you really think about it, half the Eternals and presumably half the Celestials even would've been affected, right? Logically they wouldn't sit on their hands for that.
With the success of No Way Home, general audiences already understand and accept the Marvel Multiverse concept as a residing place for past incarnations of current MCU characters.
Old 01-19-22, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

In the comics, the Celestials got their butts kicked by Thanos too (he was very OP). I'm perfectly fine with the explanation that they didn't interfere. It's like the idea of God allowing bad things to happen even though he has the power to stop it. Worked for me anyway. And we're constantly going to be dealing with this issue as new characters are introduced. The best thing they could do is have groups like the Fantastic Four form AFTER the Blip.
Old 01-19-22, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
In the comics, the Celestials got their butts kicked by Thanos too (he was very OP). I'm perfectly fine with the explanation that they didn't interfere. It's like the idea of God allowing bad things to happen even though he has the power to stop it. Worked for me anyway. And we're constantly going to be dealing with this issue as new characters are introduced. The best thing they could do is have groups like the Fantastic Four form AFTER the Blip.
I don't think fans will tolerate or accept the FF as just another group of superheros in the current MCU, especially after the crappy way Fox treated the characters.
Old 01-19-22, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

In the films, Thanos acquires all of the stones over the course of only a day or too, so cosmic beings simply may not have been aware or thought that it was a serious issue ("oh, here's another mortal trying to use a couple stones, yawn") until it was too late. They may also not have "cosmic awareness" like the comics.
Old 01-19-22, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
FF is pretty easy to explain: trapped in another dimension, whatever. I'm fine with them having been around earlier but not really out in the public/missing. Mutants are a bigger issue, I think. But again, I'm also fine with noprizing an explanation just to get us past that.
Old 01-19-22, 01:08 PM
Administrator

FF is pretty easy to explain: trapped in another dimension, whatever. I'm fine with them having been around earlier but not really out in the public/missing. Mutants are a bigger issue, I think. But again, I'm also fine with noprizing an explanation just to get us past that.
If there's only a few older mutants (Prof. X, Magneto, etc), then shouldn't be an issue. Just say the Snap/Blip/Scarlet Witch triggered way more X-genes to activate, thus prompting Xavier and Magneto to search out for them to build their respective school/brotherhood.
Old 01-19-22, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IBJoel
If there's only a few older mutants (Prof. X, Magneto, etc), then shouldn't be an issue. Just say the Snap/Blip/Scarlet Witch triggered way more X-genes to activate, thus prompting Xavier and Magneto to search out for them to build their respective school/brotherhood.
True. You could also say they were underground/in hiding, maybe due to the Sokovia accords, but a sudden proliferation of them would certainly play into the angle of why they're persecuted and not, say, the FF or Avengers.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-19-22)
Old 01-19-22, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess while I'm picking nits, the other thought I had (long after I saw the movie) was that Arishem and the like somehow told the Eternals to guide humanity but explicitly prevent the Deviants from interfering, presumably because the Deviants are either too dangerous or they feel some responsibility for creating them and unleashing them or something.

Then you have the epilogue and there's the connection that Thanos is (most likely) an Eternal as well. Incredibly dangerous AND their responsibility and nope, just sit back this time and enjoy the ride.
Old 01-19-22, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

I guess while I'm picking nits, the other thought I had (long after I saw the movie) was that Arishem and the like somehow told the Eternals to guide humanity but explicitly prevent the Deviants from interfering, presumably because the Deviants are either too dangerous or they feel some responsibility for creating them and unleashing them or something.

Then you have the epilogue and there's the connection that Thanos is (most likely) an Eternal as well. Incredibly dangerous AND their responsibility and nope, just sit back this time and enjoy the ride.
Is he in the MCU? I guess we're assuming so because his brother is? But then we don't really know if his brother is an eternal do we? See this is where it gets sticky with the Eternals being synthetic beings. Are all eternals synthetic beings then?
Old 01-20-22, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is he in the MCU? I guess we're assuming so because his brother is? But then we don't really know if his brother is an eternal do we? See this is where it gets sticky with the Eternals being synthetic beings. Are all eternals synthetic beings then?
I could've sworn Starfox/Eros said he was an Eternal in that epilogue, though you're right that that doesn't necessarily mean Thanos is an Eternal, it just implies it. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-20-22, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How can they be genetic brothers, when one has purple skin and built like the Hulk?
Old 01-20-22, 09:15 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

How can they be genetic brothers, when one has purple skin and built like the Hulk?

The following 5 users liked this post by story:
ddrknghtrtns (01-20-22), IBJoel (01-20-22), JeremyM (01-23-22), tanman (01-21-22), Why So Blu? (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22, 12:03 PM
Administrator

In the comics, Thanos is a mutant of his race
Old 01-20-22, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IBJoel
In the comics, Thanos is a mutant of his race
I thought he mentioned being the sole survivor of his alien race in A:IW?This being the main catalyst that led him on his mad quest to ultimately fixed galaxial overpopulation.
Old 01-20-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought he mentioned being the sole survivor of his alien race in A:IW?This being the main catalyst that led him on his mad quest to ultimately fixed galaxial overpopulation.
I thought he said something like they were overpopulated, he offered his non partisan culling techniques, they refused, and the planet croaked anyway? Did he say that he was the only survivor?
Old 01-20-22, 02:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I thought he said something like they were overpopulated, he offered his non partisan culling techniques, they refused, and the planet croaked anyway? Did he say that he was the only survivor?
i think all i heard him say when he showed the planet using one of the stones was that it was a once thriving civilization and that he had the plan to fix it, the overpopulation and they refused, it died, but didn't hear he was sole survivor.
IBJoel (01-20-22)
Old 01-23-22, 04:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

As a hardcore MCU fan, it's a shame to say that this thing is a total travesty on rewatch. The number of plotlines make the storytelling feel super disjointed, it feels like a rough cut just with polished VFX. These are good actors, but they can't do anything except spout nonsensical exposition for 2.5 hours. This movie offers next to nothing outside some really neat visuals, I originally enjoyed it to an extent due to the nice visuals, but there's NOTHING else here. It's my least favorite MCU movie by far. It isn't the worst big budget movie I saw last year (Matrix 4), but they run a close race. I can hardly discuss this on Blu-ray forum because the movie has a defender that will aggressively shield it from any criticism.

Last edited by GLSWIA123; 01-23-22 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Lol one forum wasn't enough, you had to branch out and run it down here too?
Old 01-23-22, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Hmm, well I did enjoy Matrix 4. Maybe I should give this one a shot.
IBJoel (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Hmm, well I did enjoy Matrix 4. Maybe I should give this one a shot.
As long as you're already paying for the service all you're out of is the time. And you can always bail early.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.