Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Eternals?
0%
4.84%
16.13%
22.58%
19.35%
16.13%
6.45%
1.61%
3.23%
1.61%
3.23%
No interest
1.61%
Will wait to see it in 2022
3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 06:02 AM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I'm about to fire this up on D+. I love the MCU, but the trailers for this one didn't do anything for me. I said the same thing about Shang-Chi though, and ended up enjoying that one very much. Still, not expecting much. Maybe going in with low expectations will help.
Old 01-12-22, 09:38 AM

Re: Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Woof, that was terrible! I expected to like it less than the rest of the MCU, but I didn't expect to hate it. This might be the best looking of all the MCU movies, but I care absolutely nothing about these characters. The story did nothing to endear any of them to me and I hope this movie is never referenced again in the MCU. For those who did enjoy it, I'm happy it exists for you.

I'm a Disney-loving MCU die hard, but I hated this.

one star
The following 2 users liked this post by Rodney2187:
Bandoman (01-14-22), GLSWIA123 (01-23-22)
Old 01-12-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney2187
Woof, that was terrible! I expected to like it less than the rest of the MCU, but I didn't expect to hate it. This might be the best looking of all the MCU movies, but I care absolutely nothing about these characters. The story did nothing to endear any of them to me and I hope this movie is never referenced again in the MCU. For those who did enjoy it, I'm happy it exists for you.

I'm a Disney-loving MCU die hard, but I hated this.

one star
I've had more time to digest this film. And the more I think about it, the more I kind of hated it. I was initially swayed by it's gloss. But you're absolutely right, it's a terrible film. With characters you just don't give a shit about. I'm dropping my rating down to 1/5 as well.
Old 01-12-22, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Inhumans 2.0.
Old 01-12-22, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m glad I got called into work early. This thing is a slog to get through​​​​​. I’m about 3/4 I think but it felt like I was watching it for hours.
Old 01-12-22, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

What’s weird is, I felt like I was watching Nomadland for hours and it’s not long like this film is.

Angelina Jolie, who I can’t stand, and a cast of seemingly bland actors is keeping me from watching this right away.

Chloe needs to do a tight whoop ass action flick in 90 mins.
Old 01-12-22, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
What’s weird is, I felt like I was watching Nomadland for hours and it’s not long like this film is.

Angelina Jolie, who I can’t stand, and a cast of seemingly bland actors is keeping me from watching this right away.

Chloe needs to do a tight whoop ass action flick in 90 mins.
I think Zhao is a great director, I love this cast, and I'm a big MCU fan, but somehow it all added up to a story I just didn't care for. I got more irritated at this movie as I was watching it. The more I think about it, the less I like it. This one just wasn't for me.
Old 01-12-22, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

I better stop reading. The more hate this gets, the lower my expectations, and the more likely I am to really enjoy it and think it's better than it probably is!
Old 01-12-22, 05:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Way too much cgi. Big baddies that aren’t based on human-like figures and all monstrous cgi is enough to take me out and this was all cgi dialed up. Just not interesting. The one thing cool so far was the reuniting of Jon Snow and Robb Stark.
Old 01-12-22, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

This one is still one of the best films of last year.
The following 4 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
IBJoel (01-12-22), Obi-Wanma (01-12-22), The Questyen (01-13-22), Wolf359 (01-14-22)
Old 01-13-22, 12:05 AM

A little too much yackety yack yack yack for my tastes, but not terrible. 3/5
Old 01-13-22, 12:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

so what was with that one deviant that was stealing powers? I dont get the rationale for why that was in the movie and how that had anything to do with the plot?
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (01-14-22)
Old 01-13-22, 05:25 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and all but how in the world are there positive reviews for this one? It was so dull that it caused me physical pain. Okay that's an exaggeration obviously lol. But this is about the most aggressively boring movie I have ever seen. And I went in with low expectations! I'm genuinely shocked there are people saying they like it, let alone it was the best movie of 2021. It felt like it was 15 hours long. Rob Stark. Jon Snow. Kumail. Angelina Jolee. Harry Styles. Any charisma possessed by any of the actors was sucked out in a vortex of dullness. The Patton Oswalt drunk troll and the Blade tease are the only things in this entire movie that delivered for me.

I'd vote in the poll but there's no negative five stars option.

This one just isn't for me. But happy others got enjoyment out of it.
Kennyx (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Don't say this too often: glad I didn't see this in a theater. Didn't care for it much. Looked nice on D+ in 4k w/DV.

2/5
Old 01-15-22, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I'll be the dissenting opinion here. Maybe it's because I love the Eternals (and the Inhumans... that tv series actually made me angry), but I don't think it's that because these were pretty far removed from the Eternals I'm used to. But I watched it with the kids tonight and I loved.it, especially the teaser at the end tying in something I never thought they would get around to (I also love cosmic Marvel, especially Starlin's Warlock).

Spoilers:

I agree about the CGI Deviants, which were predictably terrible, though at least I knew that going in with the trailers, and it's not like they were the big bad in the end. The absorbing powers thing I can understand from the way they were said to evolve, though they could have made that clearer (not that the movie had to be any longer). Maybe that was one of their capabilities all along but they had never killed an Eternal before. And I guess once they got the taste of Eternal power they went seeking more out, because the Eternals were surprised they were being hunted and not the humans.

If I didn't know that they were going somewhere in the future with Dane Whitman I would've thought Jon Snow was a wasted cameo and a really weird character... I get that this world has been through a lot with the blip and superheroes and stuff but he's so nonchalant about everything it's kind of weird.

Also some of the choices they made in the plot seemed odd. Like Kingo just disappearing (not even part of the Uni Mind) and Makkari being stuck on the ship and basically getting shafted in terms of characters. But again, the movie is probably too long as it is. That Deus Ex Machina they pulled at the end really confused me too.... they spent all this time designing bracelets to form a Uni Mind, and then they just kind of naturally do it anyway, and it may just be me but they seemed to hint that Tiamut joined them and helped kill himself? I was actually really surprised that he wasn't just put to sleep, though maybe that's coming.

The whole "we sent Deviants to kill the predators, then they rebelled so we sent you guys" backstory is also a little hokey, especially when the scene makes it seem like the Deviants and Eternals arrived at the exact same time.
Old 01-15-22, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad I skipped seeing this in the theaters. Watched it on Disney+ yesterday. Easily my least favorite MCU film. Boring characters, unfunny script, slow pace and unconvincing CGI on the Deviants.
Old 01-15-22, 10:04 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I forgot to rate this after I saw it in the theater. I probably would've given it 3.5 stars but over time, I've found that I 1. don't remember much about it, other than 2. it wasn't super-duper great, and 3. I've had zero inclination to watch it since on Disney+. That means 2.5 stars for me.

Put all that together, it's a movie without much lasting impact that introduced a bunch of stuff that didn't interest me a lot but which I assume will be important somehow to the big picture. Which, really, is very Marvel. We can't pretend every single comic issue in the year-long crossover events are winners. I think this may be the same thing. You want to know the whole big story, read every crossover issue. But don't expect them all to be amazing. Some comics are simply better than others, even if they all lead in to a grander storyline.
Old 01-15-22, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I didn’t hate this as much as most people here. I actually enjoyed it for the most part but it was way too long. It could have cut out a good 40 minutes of runtime. This is literally the first movie of these guys together. We didn’t need to see them break up and then begin to reunite all in the span of about 10 minutes. If I’m watching the first movie of a franchise, I don’t need to have a plot point of them getting the band back together for 30-35 minutes.

There was also way more CGI than I expected. There were literally CG gold stencil line drawings in every scene. It got a little tiring after only a few minutes.

On the plus side, I appreciated the multi-cultural cast. It felt pretty natural to me and not like the filmmakers were trying to fill a quota. I can also appreciate anytime Marvel chooses not to follow the same cookie cutter look as their other MCU movies. To me, that already bumps this movie above the likes of Captain Marvel and Dr. Strange.
Old 01-15-22, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I didn’t hate this as much as most people here. I actually enjoyed it for the most part but it was way too long. It could have cut out a good 40 minutes of runtime. This is literally the first movie of these guys together. We didn’t need to see them break up and then begin to reunite all in the span of about 10 minutes. If I’m watching the first movie of a franchise, I don’t need to have a plot point of them getting the band back together for 30-35 minutes.

There was also way more CGI than I expected. There were literally CG gold stencil line drawings in every scene. It got a little tiring after only a few minutes.

On the plus side, I appreciated the multi-cultural cast. It felt pretty natural to me and not like the filmmakers were trying to fill a quota. I can also appreciate anytime Marvel chooses not to follow the same cookie cutter look as their other MCU movies. To me, that already bumps this movie above the likes of Captain Marvel and Dr. Strange.
I did love the diversity of the cast, though if I think too much about it, it didn't make much sense in terms of the plot. Sprite asks the question "why did Arishem make me this way" and it goes unanswered, but really why did the Eternals look so diverse (and have a bunch of accents)? Maybe they were speaking "Eternal language" and not English with various accents or something. I guess you can take that further and ask why did they look human at all?

There are also natural questions that come up in my mind when a cast is this diverse and has witnessed humanity for centuries, but I get that they weren't really going to go there.
Old 01-15-22, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I did love the diversity of the cast, though if I think too much about it, it didn't make much sense in terms of the plot. Sprite asks the question "why did Arishem make me this way" and it goes unanswered, but really why did the Eternals look so diverse (and have a bunch of accents)? Maybe they were speaking "Eternal language" and not English with various accents or something. I guess you can take that further and ask why did they look human at all?

There are also natural questions that come up in my mind when a cast is this diverse and has witnessed humanity for centuries, but I get that they weren't really going to go there.
My first thought was that Arishem made them with the expectation that they would be sent out on their own around the Earth for several thousand years and created them to blend in in different continents around the globe.

I have no idea if there was an actual reason for making them so culturally diverse but I didn’t put a lot of thought into besides that. That also doesn’t really explain why he would make one of them gay, one of them deaf, one an eternal child, etc.
IBJoel (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I have no idea if there was an actual reason for making them so culturally diverse but I didn’t put a lot of thought into besides that.
Making them a diverse group is actually pretty weird, if you think about it. They were send to earth thousands of years ago, when there weren't really diverse commuities, since the migration period hadn't even started. That being said, I liked the diverse cast. Having a such a big cast was the perfect oppurtunity to diversify in a great fashion.

I didn't like the movie very much, tough, While I do appreciate them trying something new, it just didn't work for me, for the most part. There was a lot of talking, but most of the characters, if not all, had hardly any depth to them. The movie was way to long, at least for the story they were telling. Perhaps the Eternals would have been better suited for a TV show, so the many characters have character.

Old 01-15-22, 02:06 PM

It was just too damn unwieldy. I'd like a team of Kingo, Sprite, Phastos and Gilgamesh ...
Old 01-15-22, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Runaway
Making them a diverse group is actually pretty weird, if you think about it. They were send to earth thousands of years ago, when there weren't really diverse commuities, since the migration period hadn't even started. That being said, I liked the diverse cast. Having a such a big cast was the perfect oppurtunity to diversify in a great fashion.

I didn't like the movie very much, tough, While I do appreciate them trying something new, it just didn't work for me, for the most part. There was a lot of talking, but most of the characters, if not all, had hardly any depth to them. The movie was way to long, at least for the story they were telling. Perhaps the Eternals would have been better suited for a TV show, so the many characters have character.
A Disney+ series is 100% where this belongs. Hell, they could do a couple seasons just based on the things they introduced, and didn’t have time to expand on, in this movie alone.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Kurt D (01-15-22), story (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

It was meh. Had some decent parts and some good visuals, but just seemed so generic. Overall, it was middle of the road.
Old 01-16-22, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I would have given this 2 1/2 but I gave it 3 by mistake. I did not enjoy this very much, found it kind of boring with a lot of characters I cared nothing about.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.