Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Eternals?
0%
5.00%
16.67%
21.67%
18.33%
16.67%
6.67%
1.67%
3.33%
1.67%
3.33%
No interest
1.67%
Will wait to see it in 2022
3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 11-05-21, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts
Re: Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That's weird (haven't seen the movie yet so this is probably my last post in this thread for a while), since at least in the comics they established that one of the reasons they're called Eternals is because the machine can bring them back from death. But heck considering this is the same universe where Asgardians are regularly used as fodder, not surprising.
Actually, that was brought up in the film soooooo I guess the Celestial is opting to not remake the dead ones or they will come back in another film.
Old 11-05-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Eternals (2021, D: Zhao) -- S: Chan, Madden, Hayek, Jolie -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
People seem to think the voice calling out to Dane (Black Knight) is Mahershala Ali as Blade.

But no squirming at the gay couple? How far we've come, America!
We had someone in the crowd yell "oh, hell no!" LOL
Old 11-05-21, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

This looks to be landing at $30m Friday (+ Thursday previews) for a $70m+ weekend.
Old 11-05-21, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 150 Posts

I liked it well enough. It was easy to keep track of all of the characters (thanks to ethnicities, costume colors, and powers).

I did get bored a few times, but it’s understandable when you have to have exposition to cover that much ground.

I give it 3.5 stars and would watch it again.
Old 11-06-21, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 642 Likes on 499 Posts

I just got back from this and I think it's one of the best films of the year. It's total Greek mythology and easy to follow along. Saw it in Liemax and it had shifting aspect ratios. I guess some didn't like it because there's no familiarity to anything going on in the film, which is actually a breath of fucking fresh air. You've had I don't know how many Phases now. Well, this is a new phase and these guys are practically cosmic beings that can roll up any of the traditional heroes people are used to. Ikaris is pretty much Superman and he flies into the sun like Icarus did.

I will say that the weakest element are The Deviants. You even had the Alpha Deviant and that led nowhere except to an awesome death. Oh, Angelina Jolie was my favorite Eternal. She was pretty much Ares and Wonder Woman combined.

I don't know anything about who Kit Harrington will be and Harry Styles is banging Olivia Wilde.
Old 11-06-21, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 436 Likes on 310 Posts

Yes, the pacing is slow, but oddly, I didn't feel the full run time. A film that really had to establish its characters for the audience even if they were filled with your typical comic book cliches. The reveal at the end makes me more interested at how GOTG3 and/or Thor may tie into this and of course. the hope of a true Defenders team movie.
Old 11-06-21, 04:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

As a devoted MCU fan, this was a meh from me unfortunately. It looks great, has great performances, and some good ideas. But the non-linear storytelling was so scattershot and frustrating, it tries to cram a trilogies worth of world building and character building into the thing, and the sequel bait was aggressively lazy. Maybe not the MCU's worst, but 2nd or 3rd worst for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (11-06-21)
Old 11-06-21, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 805 Likes on 553 Posts

I’ll give my two cents on the movie later on, but just wanted to see if anyone else used the check in feature in Facebook when they went to the movie theater to watch Eternals and had their post marked as spam. It happened to me and it seems to be a problem for other people who went to see the film. Basically, we can’t post anything regarding to the movie on FB as it won’t show on the timeline. Almost like if the film was being sabotage by FB
DJariya (11-06-21)
Old 11-06-21, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I’ll give my two cents on the movie later on, but just wanted to see if anyone else used the check in feature in Facebook when they went to the movie theater to watch Eternals and had their post marked as spam. It happened to me and it seems to be a problem for other people who went to see the film. Basically, we can’t post anything regarding to the movie on FB as it won’t show on the timeline. Almost like if the film was being sabotage by FB
Are you kidding? That happened to me too. I thought I was alone or it was some kind of glitch. That never happened to me before.
Old 11-06-21, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Are you kidding? That happened to me too. I thought I was alone or it was some kind of glitch. That never happened to me before.
Never happened to me either before today but I’m seeing many posts on Twitter with the same complaints. My guess is that it’s a glitch but you know how stupid FB can be
Old 11-07-21, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk God

As someone who isn't familiar with the Eternals source material, I have two questions:

In the 1st post credit scene, who was that character supposed to be and what is his significance?

Also, on the 2nd scene with Kit Harrington, what was that sword? Was that Sersi's? and who was the voice?

Old 11-07-21, 05:21 AM

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,765 Posts

As someone who isn't familiar with the Eternals source material, I have two questions:

In the 1st post credit scene, who was that character supposed to be and what is his significance?

Also, on the 2nd scene with Kit Harrington, what was that sword? Was that Sersi's? and who was the voice?
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/mar...ed-marvel-mcu/
Old 11-07-21, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The small character is Pip the Troll, who’s more of an Adam Warlock associate and was voiced by Patton Oswalt. The other character was Eros, the brother of Thanos. In the comics, he later became an Avenger under the name Starfox.

The sword was the Ebony Blade, the one that grants the Whitmans the power to become the Black Knight. The voice was none other than Mahershala Ali, who’s playing Blade the Vampire Slayer in the MCU

Last edited by Red Hood; 11-07-21 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-07-21, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

I haven't seen this yet and the trailers didn't really do anything for me. I've read the original Eternals comics and the movie varies greatly from the original conception. From what I've been reading this movie is going to end up being key to what's coming. If you find it a slog to get through, think of it like season one of Babylon 5, a slog, but some pretty important things happened in season one that tied into what happens later. This is going to tie in with later GOTG and Thor movies.

Also ties in to previous MCU movies
Odin (Anthony Hopkins) was a Celestial
Ego (Kurt Russell) was a Celestial
Starlord is part Celestial
Thor Ragnarok had Celestials
GOTG 2 had a Jeff Goldblum character who is a Celestial, he shows up in Thor Love and Thunder

The Black Knight is just human. In the comics he and Sersi had a thing going on. His sweord, The Ebony Blade, a lot went on with it. Valkyrie had it for a while. It was kept in Wakanda for a while.
Old 11-07-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 11-07-21, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Received 474 Likes on 302 Posts

This was a top 5, maybe top 3 MCU movie for me. I loved the mythic/Biblical feel to it, including a lot of touches like the levitation devices looking like the angel wheels in the Book of Ezekiel. I felt influences from Aronofsky, Carpenter/Cundey, and Malick.

I loved the theme of how conflict involves dehumanization, be it killing or controlling, and the struggle of duty/faith/conscience. I thought it was actually a better Justice League movie than either cut of JL and I'd be excited to see Zhao's take on Squadron Supreme/Supreme Power.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Finisher (01-16-22), Red Hood (11-07-21)
Old 11-07-21, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

I went in with fairly low expectations and actually liked it a lot. I don’t know anything about the comics so nothing to compare it to in my mind. I thought it was the most dramatic film by far in the MCU from an acting perspective, and I really liked the visual tone of the film too.

It definitely made me chuckle hearing two different GoT actors saying the name “Sersi”. I know the “kiss” scene is getting attention but I think it was a great and organic moment to have - no issues there. Much rather have that than the “girl power” moment in Endgame which is just there to be there. Also, I thought the sex scene went on surprisingly long - I could see parents getting uncomfortable with that but then again, this isn’t really a Marvel movie for kids anyway IMO. I doubt kids will like it - too much “talking”.

Question - is the diversity of the Eternals something that was in the comics or is that something they did for today’s audience?
Old 11-07-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Sitting through this movie and then getting Patton Oswalt voicing a goofy CGI character is like adding insult to injury.
Old 11-07-21, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Received 474 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Question - is the diversity of the Eternals something that was in the comics or is that something they did for today’s audience?
They diversified the team a little, but it's very much in the spirit of Kirby
bunkaroo (11-07-21)
Old 11-09-21, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

I saw this today and thought it was a very pretty piece of poo.

So I will leave my critique to these guys. They cover a lot of the crappiness of this movie quite well.

Old 11-09-21, 08:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just saw this... thought it was utter crap. I mean there were some beautiful scenes, and like some of the above posters - I'm interested in how this ties into GOTG, but wow... never thought a movie from this franchise could bomb this bad. Biggest miss for any of the Marvel movies by far, and easily the worst of anything I've seen in this universe.
Rodney2187 (01-12-22)
Old 11-09-21, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 642 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyx View Post
Just saw this... thought it was utter crap. I mean there were some beautiful scenes, and like some of the above posters - I'm interested in how this ties into GOTG, but wow... never thought a movie from this franchise could bomb this bad. Biggest miss for any of the Marvel movies by far, and easily the worst of anything I've seen in this universe.

Wolf359 (12-10-21)
Old 11-09-21, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

The lack of reaction in this thread when MCU movies usually go for pages and pages doesn't bode well for its long-term success (and yeah I know it's still a pandemic but...)
Old 11-09-21, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Antipodean View Post
The lack of reaction in this thread when MCU movies usually go for pages and pages doesn't bode well for its long-term success (and yeah I know it's still a pandemic but...)
Jesus man. It's been out 6 days and was #1 at the box office with over $71M and you're already proclaiming it a bomb based on DVD Talk feedback?

This is new and unfamiliar characters and same goes with Shang-Chi, which was a big hit. This is a basically a fresh start to this part of the MCU. You can't compare it to stuff like The Avengers.

IBJoel (11-11-21)
Old 11-11-21, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk God

So it looks like the Eternals spam Facebook check-in glitch has been resolved. My post and check in from last week, which was removed, has now been added back to my timeline.

The glitch affected everyone who checked in on Facebook.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.