Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-21, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,824 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Re: Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’ve never had an opinion on Baldwin one way or the other but, yeah, just seeing short clips of that interview, Baldwin is not doing himself any favors. Saying shit like he “doesn’t feel guilty” about the shooting and “It’s someone’s fault but not mine” really make him look like an asshole.
I tend to enjoy much of his work, but I suspect he is indeed quite an asshole.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (12-03-21)
Old 12-03-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

John Schneider says he’s 'disgusted’ by Alec Baldwin’s ‘refusal to show any guilt’ following interview
​On Thursday, the actor spoke in-depth for the first time about the Oct. 21 shooting on the set of his Western film "Rust" that resulted in cinematographer Halyna Hutchins’ death.The 63-year-old, who became emotional discussing the 42-year-old, said he feels incredible sadness and regret over the shooting on the New Mexico film set, but not guilt.

​​​​​"Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who that was, but it’s not me," Baldwin told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos. "Honest to God, if I felt I was responsible, I might have killed myself."

Schneider, who has been critical of Baldwin’s decision to do the interview, wasn’t buying it.

"This is becoming an obvious attempt to blame the gun," the actor told Fox News Digital. "Guns don’t work that way. They don’t load themselves and they don’t fire themselves. That’s absurd."

"I’m dismayed and disgusted by Mr. Baldwin’s refusal to show any guilt, shame or remorse for his actions," the "Dukes of Hazzard" star continued. "I’m embarrassed for my industry and the dark cloud that this is causing to come over it. My sincere hope is that this is not a smokescreen to hide some darker truth."

In the tell-all, Baldwin claimed that despite holding the gun, he "didn’t pull the trigger."

Before the interview, Schneider shared his thoughts on the matter in an 18-minute video titled "Seriously Alec?"

The 61-year-old claimed the interview was "all designed to make us feel sorry for Alec Baldwin" and claimed the actor's teary-eyed emotional responses during the interview were "bulls--t."

Schneider questioned the conversation, asking whether viewers were supposed to "believe that a gun went off by itself."

"This is a wonderful business we all work in. We are honored and privileged to be part of it," he continued. "So when someone takes a crap – which obviously George and Alec have done here and obviously this woman is still deceased. Her family is still without a mother, without a wife. This is absurd."

Schneider said he believes "the propaganda machine" is responsible for perpetuating the idea that Baldwin "is a victim."

"Three weeks ago, it was a prop gun. Four weeks ago, nobody knew how in the world this real weapon was loaded on the set," Schneider said. "Today, he didn't pull the trigger."

Article continues here
Great a few hollywood stars are speaking out, including George Clooney. Alec Baldwin is a real douchebag.
Hubbub (12-03-21)
Old 12-03-21, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

I know the world was waiting breathlessly to hear what John Schneider had to say on the subject.
The following 6 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
andicus (12-04-21), Boondock Saint (12-07-21), Dan (12-03-21), Deftones (12-03-21), Jaymole (12-04-21), Why So Blu? (12-04-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Yeah maybe post what George Clooney, a respected A List actor has to say on the subject, not some has been shitty has-been 70s TV actor who Fox News has to dredge up since no A, B or C list actor will talk to them.
Why So Blu? (12-04-21)
Old 12-03-21, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
So let me see if I got this straight...

1. Somehow live ammo got onto the set.
2. The armorer doesn't know how a live round got into the gun after she inspected it.
3. The assistant director declares "cold gun."
4. The pistol accidentally goes off without pulling the trigger.

Wow. This just wasn't Halyna's lucky day, was it?
Brandon Lee was killed because:

1. Someone made a dummy bullet without discharging the primer.
2. The trigger on the gun that contained an undischarged dummy bullet was pulled, which discharged the primer and provided enough force to push the round into the barrel of the gun.
3. Nobody checked to see if the barrel of the gun was clear between the time the round was hung and between the time it was loaded with a blank and given to another actor to shoot Brandon Lee's character in the The Crow.

Wasn't Brandon's lucky day, either.

Both of these were failures on multiple levels. If someone had done what they were supposed to do at each step of the way, then both Brandon Lee and Halyna Hutchins would have attended the premiers of their movies.
Old 12-04-21, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

I know the world was waiting breathlessly to hear what John Schneider had to say on the subject.
I actually thought they got his opinion because he was in the movie....I see absolutely no other reason why he should be interviewed.
Old 12-04-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I actually thought they got his opinion because he was in the movie....I see absolutely no other reason why he should be interviewed.
Meh. It's just an opinion gathered by Fox News from a staunch Republican speaking-out against the behavior and actions of a staunch Democrat. Pulitzer Prize winning stuff!
Old 12-04-21, 12:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
So let me see if I got this straight...

1. Somehow live ammo got onto the set.
2. The armorer doesn't know how a live round got into the gun after she inspected it.
3. The assistant director declares "cold gun."
4. The pistol accidentally goes off without pulling the trigger.

Wow. This just wasn't Halyna's lucky day, was it?
that's some Final Destination type shit right there.

Old 12-04-21, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Should Baldwin feel *guilty* about what happened? He wasn't the one who loaded the gun. He was told it was a cold gun, and from what we've heard, it's not like he was playing around with it. Now whether he has a degree of guilt based on being a producer (and do we know how active of a producer he was?), that's another matter. But based purely on the fact that he was the one who happened to be holding the gun? I think he bears as much guilt as the guy holding the gun in the Brandon Lee case.

I didn't watch the full interview but caught part of it. I heard Baldwin comment that he never checked the gun himself because very early in his career, he did so and was told by the gun handler to never do that because they never want the actor being the last one handling a gun like that. That made a lot of sense to me. Plus, it isn't like Baldwin didn't express remorse and sympathy for what happened.

As far as lawsuits, I remember Baldwin also commenting that he expects and encourages the victim's family to sue and was annoyed that others who weren't as directly affected have filed lawsuits before the widower because it could dilute the amount of money that he could get.

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I could be jumping to conclusions but with two people hit (one fatally) it seems there was probably more than one bullet. If it was only one bullet, I guess the director and cinematographer were standing one directly behind the other?
But that's the thing, everyone is jumping to conclusions without any real knowledge of what happened. And it's truly disgusting how some people are using this politically.
The following 4 users liked this post by clckworang:
Crocker Jarmen (12-04-21), Dan (12-04-21), Decker (12-04-21), Why So Blu? (12-04-21)
Old 12-04-21, 12:46 PM

I don't know why people think that's so improbable. It the most famous shooting in history, John F Kennedy and John Connolly got shot with the same bullet - - even Oliver Stone believes that.
Old 12-04-21, 02:20 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Should Baldwin feel *guilty* about what happened? He wasn't the one who loaded the gun. He was told it was a cold gun, and from what we've heard, it's not like he was playing around with it. Now whether he has a degree of guilt based on being a producer (and do we know how active of a producer he was?), that's another matter. But based purely on the fact that he was the one who happened to be holding the gun? I think he bears as much guilt as the guy holding the gun in the Brandon Lee case.

I didn't watch the full interview but caught part of it. I heard Baldwin comment that he never checked the gun himself because very early in his career, he did so and was told by the gun handler to never do that because they never want the actor being the last one handling a gun like that. That made a lot of sense to me. Plus, it isn't like Baldwin didn't express remorse and sympathy for what happened.
I totally agree on this. He very clearly is disturbed by the events, and he very clearly has expressed remorse. This will haunt him forever. But guilt and remorse are not the same, and people jumping on him for saying he doesn't feel guilty really seem to be showing their own ass at this point.

But that's the thing, everyone is jumping to conclusions without any real knowledge of what happened. And it's truly disgusting how some people are using this politically.
It is a day that ends in Y, so...
Old 12-04-21, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
I totally agree on this. He very clearly is disturbed by the events, and he very clearly has expressed remorse. This will haunt him forever. But guilt and remorse are not the same, and people jumping on him for saying he doesn't feel guilty really seem to be showing their own ass at this point.
Whether he should feel guilt based on the true definition of the word can be argued. Going on national TV to give a self-serving interview where he comes off as pointing the finger at anyone but himself makes him look like a complete asshole.
Rob V (12-06-21)
Old 12-05-21, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

I suppose he needs to be careful with words like "guilt" and "responsibility" for legal reasons. That's the kind of stuff that could be used against him in a civil suit or a criminal case. Every word he said was likely vetted by a legal team, and that's why he came off looking dickish.

It probably would have been best to just keep his mouth shut and maintain a low profile until all the legal stuff is resolved.
Nick Danger (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't know why people think that's so improbable. It the most famous shooting in history, John F Kennedy and John Connolly got shot with the same bullet - - even Oliver Stone believes that.
But in movies, people use other people as human shields and never get hurt.
Old 12-06-21, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Whether he should feel guilt based on the true definition of the word can be argued. Going on national TV to give a self-serving interview where he comes off as pointing the finger at anyone but himself makes him look like a complete asshole.
Yeah. That interview screamed of being self serving and attempting to cover his ass. It is up to him whether he should feel guilty about killing a woman. The tool was only in his hand and he neglected to even take the most rudimentary safety procedures with it. Most normal people would feel guilt over killing someone.
Old 12-06-21, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
I tend to enjoy much of his work, but I suspect he is indeed quite an asshole.
What makes you suspect it, other than this?

Could it be how he was verbally abusive to his daughter?
How about assaulting a neighbor over a parking spot?
Maybe refusing to follow the instruction of a flight crew?
His use of homophobic slurs?

The guy is a massive asshole. There really isn't an argument about it.

Whoever his lawyers and PR folks are that authorized this interview need to be fired.
Old 12-06-21, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Actually, Stone DOESN'T believe that - the Warren Commission did.
Old 12-06-21, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Actually, Stone DOESN'T believe that - the Warren Commission did.
Oops you are right about that.
actionjackson29 (12-06-21)
Old 03-08-22, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

He ain't make it easy to feel any sympathy for his part in the accident, is he? Urgh!

Alec Baldwin says Halyna Hutchins's family and others are suing him because they are money-motivated

Alec Baldwin argued that there are only 'two victims' in the on-set shooting that killed Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and claims many of the individuals who have filed lawsuits against him are 'deep pockets litigants'. The actor, addressing the tragedy at the Boulder International Film Festival (BIFF) in Colorado Saturday, said he remains 'hopeful when the facts come out we will not be held criminally responsible' for the shooting.

'Why sue people if you're not going to get money? That's what you're doing.'
Old 03-08-22, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

He's not wrong. Based on everything we know, how could Alec hold any of the blame for what happened? The only thing that separates him from the people who actually were at fault is his bank account
Old 03-08-22, 01:32 PM

He's a Producer of the film. That makes him partially liable for a fatal accident on the set no matter whose fault it was.
Old 03-08-22, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
He's not wrong. Based on everything we know, how could Alec hold any of the blame for what happened? The only thing that separates him from the people who actually were at fault is his bank account
I’m not sure we know enough to make that determination. Unless I missed it over the course of the investigation, there should be tests done on that particular gun to see if it malfunctioned, there would be numerous interviews with dozens of people over what they observed/witnesses that day, documenting any video of the incident, etc. None of that information has been released yet, right?

So far, all we really know is Baldwin was a producer who holds some liability over what happened based on the safety precautions and procedures that were ignored, he was literally the one who fired the bullet, and he keeps going on TV and running his mouth about his innocence.

I was fully on board with “Baldwin can’t be blamed, it was just a bad accident” at the beginning of this whole thing. The more I hear about the incident the more I fall into the “Baldwin and the filmmakers seriously fucked up somewhere” camp.
Old 03-08-22, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

He's a Producer of the film. That makes him partially liable for a fatal accident on the set no matter whose fault it was.
Then file an insurance claim. Sue the person directly responsible.

Otherwise, Baldwin's right - they're just after money, not placing the responsibility on those DIRECTLY responsible for the tragedy.
Old 03-08-22, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Don't actors get "Producer" credit for films they're in all the time without actually doing anything other than act? That doesn't seem like a valid reason to go after him personally. His money compared to everyone else involved in the incident certainly is.

To say an actor holding what he thought was an empty prop gun who didn't even pull the trigger is financially responsible for what happened is pretty silly, IMO.
Old 03-08-22, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

To my knowledge, Baldwin wasn't the day to day producer, in charge of running the production. He was an executive producer, just in charge of the money, more or less. He wouldn't have any direct responsibility for stuff like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.