Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

Old 01-23-23, 09:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
^ ...

Iím also fairly certain that those DAís trying to make a name for themselves have pretty much guaranteed nobody will want to film a movie in NM ever again.
That's my takeaway too. I worked as an extra on an Alec Baldwin commercial and he was a complete jerk but he doesn't deserve this. I worked on a lot of shows with guns and it was a giant pain. Everyone got earplugs which takes you out of the moment. Maybe they should just use fake guns and make the sound in post-production.
Old 01-23-23, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
Or just don't use real guns on movie/tv sets. There really shouldn't be any need to.
exactly, there are prop guns that can only fire blanks so you still get muzzle flash and the actors can properly react to the sound, but can't load real ammo.
Old 01-23-23, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Well if the hammer was cocked, then he wouldnít have to ďpullĒ the trigger to fire the gun. A little jostle is all it would take.
Iíve yet to hear if the hammer was already pulled back, but that should be obvious one way or another on the raw film footage.
I thought they weren't even actually filming a scene, so the hammer shouldn't have been pulled back either
Old 01-23-23, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 761 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
exactly, there are prop guns that can only fire blanks so you still get muzzle flash and the actors can properly react to the sound, but can't load real ammo.
what is the cost difference?
Old 01-23-23, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

this was just my first google result, and some of these definitely don't look as good as a real one, but they're a lot cheaper than a real gun
I'm sure there are better ones out there, or if not if hollywood generated demand better quality would be quickly made
https://replicaweaponry.com/
Old 01-23-23, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
this was just my first google result, and some of these definitely don't look as good as a real one, but they're a lot cheaper than a real gun
I'm sure there are better ones out there, or if not if hollywood generated demand better quality would be quickly made
https://replicaweaponry.com/
So if there is a completely safe option that does not impact the economic bottom line or the verisimilitude of the firearm's appearance, then why has film production not embraced this option?

Answer: Because using real guns is not considered unsafe.

I'll just keep posting it over and over to everyone suggesting that the system needs to change. It ain't broke. They don't need to fix it.
Old 01-23-23, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,723 Posts

As long as an incredibly unlikely and unfortunate accident could potentially result in an on-set death, and with an actor/co-producer facing Involuntary Manslaughter charges, despite the presence of an armorer on the set at the time, something is still wrong with the system.
Old 01-23-23, 06:23 PM

Watch the kid in the background.

The following users liked this post:
Trevor (01-24-23)
Old 01-23-23, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 364 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
Watch the kid in the background.

https://youtu.be/sAhKLfzDHcI

Not sure what the relevancy is there to this.
Old 01-23-23, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
That is reasonable --for that extraordinary situation. The heightened risk to your life affords you the right to be extraordinarily cautious.
And in any situation where an actor wants to double check that the gun is "cold," it should happen.
However, it would also be reasonable for an actor to trust that the people tasked with firearm safety have done their job, and presume that the "cold" gun is so.

We're talking about industry-wide policy. Every firearm on every set on every movie.
It is unreasonable to construct a policy for all firearm usage based on the potential danger present in an extreme situation like the one you describe (accident = certain death).

Again, there are already safety protocols in place and, statistically speaking, accidental shootings on movie sets don't occur, so it is reasonable to conclude that no new industry wide safety mandates are necessary.
Iím not talking about an industry wide change in policy. I think some minor modifications are appropriate though. Whether thatís to ensure all armorers are properly certified or efficiently experienced before they can be a lead armorer on set or whether a simple thing like checking a final time in front of the actor to ensure the gun is empty or has blanks, or while youíre rehearsing a scene or blocking out a shot you donít use a real gun, etc.

We seem to live in an all-or-nothing world. The choices donít have to be either: no changes at all or a complete overhaul of the system. Some small changes can be made to movie sets without calling it a sweeping policy change.
Old 01-23-23, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as an incredibly unlikely and unfortunate accident could potentially result in an on-set death, and with an actor/co-producer facing Involuntary Manslaughter charges, despite the presence of an armorer on the set at the time, something is still wrong with the system.
It depends on human beings, and humans are fallible.

Lots and lots and lots of obvious precautions in the name of safety that could be implemented and forced upon us in our everyday lives, but we don't do it. We accept that there will always be a human element in the equation that can result in unnecessarily dangerous situations, but we accept that risk as a part of life.
Old 01-23-23, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Iím not talking about an industry wide change in policy. I think some minor modifications are appropriate though. Whether thatís to ensure all armorers are properly certified or efficiently experienced before they can be a lead armorer on set or whether a simple thing like checking a final time in front of the actor to ensure the gun is empty or has blanks, or while youíre rehearsing a scene or blocking out a shot you donít use a real gun, etc.

We seem to live in an all-or-nothing world. The choices donít have to be either: no changes at all or a complete overhaul of the system. Some small changes can be made to movie sets without calling it a sweeping policy change.
Any change that is mandated for every movie set is by definition a sweeping, industry-wide policy change.
Old 01-23-23, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts

There is no such thing as a fail safe system. It is impossible to account for all possible things that could go wrong because human beings are not capable of foreseeing every and all possible things that could go wrong.
Old 01-23-23, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Not sure what the relevancy is there to this.
As this story goes from tragedy to farce I'm on the side of farce.Aside from an attention wanting DA who wants to kill the New Mexico film industry there is not much to see. I've been on dozens of sets where a PA could just yell Gunshot and we extras would scatter the same as a gunshot.

Completely off topic but since I'm on a North by Northwest bender I'm amused how Hitchcock got this past the censors

Old 01-24-23, 11:01 AM
Kny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are system changes really needed? Seems to me the system works as there hasn't been a major accident since The Crow. The Rust production failed to follow basic rules and protocols. . End of story. If anything, it should serve as an example of why protocols need to be followed.
Old 01-24-23, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 278 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Kny View Post
Are system changes really needed? Seems to me the system works as there hasn't been a major accident since The Crow. The Rust production failed to follow basic rules and protocols. . End of story. If anything, it should serve as an example of why protocols need to be followed.
There definitely should be a rule, that life rounds aren't allowed on set. If the actors have to learn how to shoot, they should do so on a professional shooting range and not right beside the set, but that's about it. An expert still has to check every gun, since an accident like in the Crow could happen even without life ammunation. It's not the actor's job to check the gun or any other safety gear.
Old 01-24-23, 10:42 PM
Kny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
There definitely should be a rule, that life rounds aren't allowed on set. If the actors have to learn how to shoot, they should do so on a professional shooting range and not right beside the set, but that's about it. An expert still has to check every gun, since an accident like in the Crow could happen even without life ammunation. It's not the actor's job to check the gun or any other safety gear.
There already are rules prohibiting "live" rounds on a movie set. Again, this production failed to follow established protocals at every stage, hence a tragedy occurred.