Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
Re: Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

^ You’d think that same high priced lawyer would have also advised him not to do those interviews in the first place and to just keep his mouth shut.
Old 10-05-22, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ You’d think that same high priced lawyer would have also advised him not to do those interviews in the first place and to just keep his mouth shut.
I am certain the lawyer did, but Baldwin is (how can I put this?) not a man without issues.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (10-05-22)
Old 10-24-22, 08:34 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Well, this is awkward. "One year ago today... I shot this woman to death."

Old 10-24-22, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Baldwin just does not know when to shut the fuck up
GoldenJCJ (10-24-22)
Old 10-24-22, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Where does the film go on that camera?
Old 10-24-22, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

When you clearly don't listen to your publicist, Exhibit A :
GoldenJCJ (10-24-22)
Old 10-24-22, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is sadly has been a normal topic for standup comedians right now.
Old 10-24-22, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

He kills a woman, and then posts about it a year later with some sort of cryptic message? Guys is an absolute moron that doesn't know when to shut the hell up. A lot like Baldwins closest buddy in that way.
Old 10-24-22, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Wow, this is real? I thought he was hacked. Baldwin's gonna Baldwin.
Old 10-24-22, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
He kills a woman, and then posts about it a year later with some sort of cryptic message? Guys is an absolute moron that doesn't know when to shut the hell up. A lot like Baldwins closest buddy in that way.
Let's be fair and honest.
If he had not been involved in the circumstances of her death, then the IG post (and its intended message) is not cryptic at all.
However, in this situation, to simply post a commemoration is so out of touch with reality. As if anyone could be asked to remember this woman and her tragic passing without instantly also recalling who was holding the gun.
Maybe people who know Baldwin, personally, know how remorseful he is, but this IG post for public consumption is wrongheaded.
Old 11-14-22, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/11/us/al...uit/index.html

Actor Alec Baldwin on Friday filed a lawsuit in California against several individuals associated with the “Rust” film, according to a cross-complaint obtained by CNN.

Baldwin, who is listed as a defendant in a lawsuit by a “Rust” script supervisor, filed the cross-complaint against the production’s armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed, assistant director David Halls, armorer assistant Seth Kenney, the prop weapon and ammunition supply store company Kenney owns, and prop master Sarah Zachry.

“This tragedy happened because live bullets were delivered to the set and loaded into the gun, Gutierrez Reed failed to check the bullets or
the gun carefully, Halls failed to check the gun carefully and yet announced the gun was safe before handing it to Baldwin, and Zachry failed to disclose that Gutierrez Reed had been acting recklessly off set and was a safety risk to those around her,” the complaint alleges, adding Baldwin was unaware of those facts, but the cross-defendants knew” the lawsuit claims.

Old 01-19-23, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BREAKING NEWS

Baldwin charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter. ABC legal analyst says the prosecutors are "throwing the book" at Baldwin by seeking maximum penalties possible.

If Baldwin wants to stay out of prison, he has the "legal fight of his life" on his hands.

My two cents: He better shut the fuck up in public.
Old 01-19-23, 10:11 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Per TMZ:
Alec Baldwin will be prosecuted for the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on his "Rust" movie set.

Prosecutors in Santa Fe County, NM made the announcement Thursday morning that Baldwin will be charged with involuntary manslaughter. The film's head armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was also charged with involuntary manslaughter. Both face a maximum of 5 years in prison if convicted.

The Assistant Director, Dave Halls, has agreed to a plea deal for the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon. He will get a suspended sentence and 6 months probation.

Interestingly ... no charges will be filed in connection with the non-fatal shooting of director Joel Souza, who was hit in the shoulder by the same bullet that killed Halyna.

Alec has all along denied any wrongdoing, insisting all he did was follow instructions during a rehearsal where he was practicing how to position the pistol for a "cross draw" scene in a chapel ... as director Joel Souza and Halyna figured out camera angles.

He's also repeatedly said assistant director Dave Halls handed him the prop firearm and said it was a "cold" gun -- meaning it was unloaded and safe -- when he handed it to him.

While the film's lead armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was not in the chapel, Alec has suggested she bears some responsibility ... as it was her job to prepare and check the props.

Alec was visibly torn up on set immediately after Halyna was shot. However, in subsequent interviews he went on the defensive, saying it was a tragic accident for which he bore no responsibility. He also insisted he did NOT actually pull the trigger on that fateful day.

The FBI disagreed with Alec's assertion ... after testing the weapon, it issued a report which concluded the pistol would not fire without someone pulling the trigger.

Halyna's death was eventually ruled to be accidental -- the medical examiner found no intent to cause harm in their official report.

Still, Halyna's family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Alec and others involved in the production, saying he directly caused her death and that he was negligent in his handling of the gun -- not to mention safety protocols on the set.

They ultimately settled the lawsuit in October, and agreed to complete filming "Rust" and add Halyna's widower as an executive producer.

Alec also sued four crew members -- Gutierrez-Reed, Halls, Sarah Zachry and Seth Kenney - claiming they failed to safeguard the film set.
Old 01-19-23, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts

If he is convicted, why would any actor agree to use a gun on set ever again?
Old 01-19-23, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Surprising, I would wager it's based on him being a producer and therefore bearing some responsibility for the set. The film was probably only greenlit because he's in it, so the producer title may not have had any day to day involvement in the production itself - which I'm sure they'll make the case for.
Old 01-19-23, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Surprising, I would wager it's based on him being a producer and therefore bearing some responsibility for the set. The film was probably only greenlit because he's in it, so the producer title may not have had any day to day involvement in the production itself - which I'm sure they'll make the case for.
I believe the charges are specific to him being the person who was holding the gun and who pulled the trigger, not his responsibilities as a producer.
Old 01-19-23, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Yeah.

This sets a bad precedent for film and tv production.

Would they charge an actor with murder if any piece of equipment, not just a firearm, malfunctions or isn't properly used? If, say an actor kills a stuntman because someone (not the actor) didn't properly fasten a safety harness? Or the brakes on a car they're driving fail during a shoot?
Old 01-19-23, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I believe the charges are specific to him being the person who was holding the gun and who pulled the trigger, not his responsibilities as a producer.
Right. I’m sure a Civil lawsuit will come that will name him because he was a producer (or did they already agree an a deal for that? I can’t remember. I know Hutchins husband got a producer credit on the film for making a deal for something).

It sucks for Baldwin but I have a hard time seeing him convicted. I guess if you’re the one holding the gun when someone gets shot, you’re going to be charged no matter what.
Old 01-19-23, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
They could insist on participating in a visual inspection assuring that the weapon is not loaded before they handle it.
mikehunt (01-23-23)
Old 01-19-23, 10:57 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Alec Baldwin's attorney, Luke Nikas, released a statement saying, "This decision distorts Halyna Hutchins’ tragic death and represents a terrible miscarriage of justice. Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun – or anywhere on the movie set. He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds. We will fight these charges, and we will win."
Old 01-19-23, 10:58 AM

It's a garbage criminal case. Feels politically motivated.
No way this would be a criminal case for the actor if the shooting happened in California or New York, where films are shot routinely.
He was given a prop gun on set where a handler has the specific job of making sure it's "cold" and unloaded.
Involuntary Manslaughter is like hitting someone with your car. This isn't that.
Old 01-19-23, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,272 Likes on 730 Posts

Yeah I don't like Alec Baldwin but I can't fault him for this. But he seems to like to take cheap shots at people from his ivory tower all the time so hopefully this will being him down to Earth a little.

My favorite Twitter comment I heard this morning was someone saying that he's not getting justice because this case should be tried in the USA instead of New Mexico.
Old 01-19-23, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Feels politically motivated.
It does, but the executive branch of NM is controlled by democrats (Gov, Lt Gov, AG) and the DA who filed the charges was also a democrat.

Curious that they don't seem interested in going after whoever loaded the fucking live round in the gun in the first place.
Old 01-19-23, 11:40 AM

Has the Screen Actors Guild released a firm statement on this yet? This really feels like a time when the union needs to rally behind Baldwin and support him.

I am fine with hitting him with a massive lawsuit for civil liability. But there is just no way this should be pursued as a criminal act. I am actually stunned it's made it this far.
Old 01-19-23, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
They could insist on participating in a visual inspection assuring that the weapon is not loaded before they handle it.
That could work for movie stars on sets where they're only holding a gun one or two times but what about all the cop shows on TV with minor one-off characters using weapons? Is every actor involved in a shootout on a weekly episode of SWAT going to inspect the weapons they use on film?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.