Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Dune?
5.56%
33.33%
34.72%
18.06%
4.17%
2.78%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
0%
Don't stream and don't go to theaters, so waiting until 2022 for physical media.
1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 11-02-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Re: Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I think the ones with orange tint are supposed to be.
That was my understanding as well.
Old 11-03-21, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Re: Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I think the ones with orange tint are supposed to be.
The movie focuses on a shot of them as the Herald of the Change mentions "representatives of the Spacing Guild." When he mentions 'member of the imperial court," the shot is on the people with the black breathing masks. When he mentions the Bene Gesserit, the shot shifts focus to the woman in the veil. So it seems clear which group is which.
Old 11-03-21, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Yeah, I would assume that the guys in white suits with the tinted helmets were guildsmen, probably in the early stages of mutation into full-blown navigators.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (11-03-21)
Old 11-03-21, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Got around to watching this on HBO Max. Visually stunning. Never saw any of the Dune movies and had not read the book. Was mostly lost as fuck, but it was entertaining. I would definitely watch the 2nd one.

​​​​​​
Old 11-03-21, 08:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Holding out for this.

Brack (11-05-21)
Old 11-05-21, 12:03 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

This has been kind of my go to movie for the past couple of weeks. I lost track how many times I’ve seen it. I’m not sure what it is about the movie, maybe I’m just in love with the sound design, the score, the visuals, the look of the space vehicles, those dragonfly helicopters, how creepy and cool the Bene Gesserit look in the rain with the wind, Paul’s dreams/visions. I could just keep going because of the level of detail and care that went into this seems ahead of a lot of other films. I loved that the movie doesn’t fully explain things, like the when the eyes go white when Thufir’s calculating, it’s obviously part of the reason he’s able to calculate so fast, and I didn’t mind that little mystery (more of an Easter egg for fans).
The following 4 users liked this post by Brack:
Giantrobo (11-05-21), milo bloom (11-05-21), RichC2 (11-05-21), story (11-05-21)
Old 11-05-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm ready to watch it again, but it's 2.5 hours I have to figure out time for since my wife probably won't want to watch it like I do.
When does it leave HBOMax?
Old 11-05-21, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I'm ready to watch it again, but it's 2.5 hours I have to figure out time for since my wife probably won't want to watch it like I do.
When does it leave HBOMax?
November 21st is the last day.
Old 11-05-21, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I've seen it 3x on HBOMax. 2x alone and a 3rd time with the wife who enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll watch at least one more time before it leaves.
Old 11-10-21, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I wonder if when they release this for purchase they may offer the full IMAX format like they did with releases of the two Nolan Batman movies? Those movies only had certain scenes like that, but my understanding is that this was shot entirely in that format.
Old 11-10-21, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I wonder if when they release this for purchase they may offer the full IMAX format like they did with releases of the two Nolan Batman movies? Those movies only had certain scenes like that, but my understanding is that this was shot entirely in that format.
At my screening of Dune it kept switching back and forth so I have no idea. I thought the same thing, that it was entirely shot in IMAX, but not at my showing.
Old 11-11-21, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
At my screening of Dune it kept switching back and forth so I have no idea. I thought the same thing, that it was entirely shot in IMAX, but not at my showing.
From what I can find, Dune was shot with the ALEXA LF camera and an ALEXA Mini LF prototype, both of which have a sensor size in the 1.43:1 aspect ratio. However, it sounds like in post, some scenes were finished in the 1.9:1 aspect ratio of IMAX Digital, while a few were finished in the 1.43:1 IMAX film/laser aspect ratio.

https://www.arri.com/en/company/pres...hers-worldwide
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...usive-4062214/

This Forbes article says only an hour of the film is IMAX enhanced:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bennyha...h=44507da96ffc
On Dune, around one hour of the 2-hour 35 minute movie was shot using the Arri Alexa camera, which means that there’s enough resolution for creating scenes to be framed in IMAX’s exclusive 1:43:1 aspect ratio, where the screen add huge amounts of picture above and below the regular widescreen image. However, as film prints are not being made for Dune, only IMAX theatres with both a dual-laser “GT” projector and an extra tall 1.43:1 aspect ratio screen can show the movie in this format.... Every other digital IMAX theatre will be able to open up the expanded aspect ratio up to 1.90:1
Only the two Alexa models are every mentioned in any articles, but I wonder if they shot some of the film with other cameras.

I couldn't find much comparting the regular "scope" and IMAX shots, but I did find these two videos comparing the "portrait" and "landscape" versions of the trailers, overlaying them on each other to show the difference of the image/framing used. (I guess there were protrait versions made for viewing on phones).

One thing that sticks out is that many shots don't have any image aside from the "scope" framing. Also, almost all the portrait shots that do expand beyond the scope framing expand out to nearly the 1.43:1 borders (although the portrait view is much narrower). So I'm guessing all the expanded shots were shot on LF, while the scope shots were potentially another camera. Also, the scope-only shots seem primarily set on Caladan, Giedi Prime, and inside the palace on Arrakis. So the full IMAX shots seem largely reserved for the external shots of Dune itself.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
Brack (11-11-21), Dr. DVD (11-11-21)
Old 11-11-21, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found a bit more info on the IMAX formatting, from an interview with the editor:
https://blog.frame.io/2021/10/27/art...ne-joe-walker/
In fact, we started editing for 1:43 because a large component of it is shot for IMAX; the whole of reel eight is actually from beginning to end IMAX-originated material. I was very concerned about those moments of transition between two aspect sizes and whether it was noticeable or damaging, but I was amazed with IMAX and how free it is.

Denis had already reassured me— I think he’d spoken to Chris Nolan—that you’re quite free to go between 2:39 and 1:43 on the IMAX screen. It’s so massive that you don’t necessarily see it or feel it that much. We started cutting at 1:43, and once we’d felt that we were confident, we flipped over to cutting at 2:39.

It’s very important to look at that stuff and to see for VFX that it is considerably more plate for them to have to figure out, if there’s a bit of vegetation on the floor that can’t be there on Arrakis, then that might be on the foot, and you don’t see it if you’re cropping. I think it was advisable to them to look at the full aspect ratio as we did our first cuts, but after a while, we zoned in on the 2:39, and it felt like a more comfortable, less distracting viewing experience for most people when we’re getting, about to show to the producers and things like that, we flipped over to the 2:39.
So it seems like not the entire film was "IMAX-originated material," suggesting other cameras were used.
Brack (11-11-21)
Old 11-11-21, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

This is probably a pipe dream, but I would love it if the blu-ray/4K release had shifting aspect ratios to incorporate the IMAX stuff.
Brack (11-11-21)
Old 11-11-21, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This is probably a pipe dream, but I would love it if the blu-ray/4K release had shifting aspect ratios to incorporate the IMAX stuff.
At least as an option, but could a 4K Blu-ray hold that much with the standard movie?
Old 11-11-21, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It's a pretty long movie, I could see it being done on separate discs. I'd buy a version that had both the scope version on one disc and the IMAX version on another.
Brack (11-11-21)
Old 11-11-21, 11:34 AM

It's a pretty long movie, I could see it being done on separate discs. I'd buy a version that had both the scope version on one disc and the IMAX version on another.
I would too, for sure,
Old 11-11-21, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
From what I can find, Dune was shot with the ALEXA LF camera and an ALEXA Mini LF prototype, both of which have a sensor size in the 1.43:1 aspect ratio. However, it sounds like in post, some scenes were finished in the 1.9:1 aspect ratio of IMAX Digital, while a few were finished in the 1.43:1 IMAX film/laser aspect ratio.

https://www.arri.com/en/company/pres...hers-worldwide
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...usive-4062214/

This Forbes article says only an hour of the film is IMAX enhanced:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bennyha...h=44507da96ffc

Only the two Alexa models are every mentioned in any articles, but I wonder if they shot some of the film with other cameras.

I couldn't find much comparting the regular "scope" and IMAX shots, but I did find these two videos comparing the "portrait" and "landscape" versions of the trailers, overlaying them on each other to show the difference of the image/framing used. (I guess there were protrait versions made for viewing on phones).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJsUQmzHl94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZyKLJblwGw

One thing that sticks out is that many shots don't have any image aside from the "scope" framing. Also, almost all the portrait shots that do expand beyond the scope framing expand out to nearly the 1.43:1 borders (although the portrait view is much narrower). So I'm guessing all the expanded shots were shot on LF, while the scope shots were potentially another camera. Also, the scope-only shots seem primarily set on Caladan, Giedi Prime, and inside the palace on Arrakis. So the full IMAX shots seem largely reserved for the external shots of Dune itself.

Thanks. It looks to me like I got to see more on the big screen by going to the Dolby Atmos theater I did than travelling and hour to the nearest true IMAX. Is there a way to get the image to totally fill my 70 inch at home without losing too much?
Old 11-11-21, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Thanks. It looks to me like I got to see more on the big screen by going to the Dolby Atmos theater I did than travelling and hour to the nearest true IMAX. Is there a way to get the image to totally fill my 70 inch at home without losing too much?
If you saw it on a 1.43:1 "True Imax" screen, then you saw the most image possible for each shot. The Dolby Atmos screening was likely 100% scope, i.e. 2.35:1, which would be a crop of the hour of IMAX footage. The IMAX screening flip between showing the full scope image for the hour and a half of footage presented that way, then even more image for the IMAX portions. The IMAX Digital will show an expanded 1.9:1 image, while "true" IMAX screens would show the expanded 1.43:1 image.

If you couldn't tell the difference yourself, that's likely because the relevant image info, in terms of telling the story, is always going to be in the 2.35:1 framing. The IMAX showings fill those screens a bit more in certain points with more image, but it's not necessarily relevant image.
Old 11-12-21, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 827 Posts

Good article on Villeneuve's visual style, kinda meshes with my criticism that his films are easier to admire than to love:

How 'Dune' Shows the Limits to the Minimal Style Of Denis Villeneuve’s Sci-Fi

The scale that Villeneuve creates so well can project the power of a feudal empire, but with such limited specificity to its works, that empire is more abstract in the new film than it is in Lynch’s or even in Herbert’s novel. It’s a collection of design elements, well-executed and unified by the director, but more akin to a display than a lived-in world. Even the wardrobe has that vibe; I’ve seen outfits for sale at unjustifiable prices that are close cousins to the minimalist dress uniforms of 2021’s House Atreides. There are flamboyant cuts and select use of garish color and jewelry in the costumes of the universe, but they are the stuff of the fashion runway, not longstanding civilizations. Add in the depressing color palette and the film’s persistently somber tone, and the whole thing feels even more artificial.
Old 11-12-21, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Good article on Villeneuve's visual style, kinda meshes with my criticism that his films are easier to admire than to love:

The scale that Villeneuve creates so well can project the power of a feudal empire, but with such limited specificity to its works, that empire is more abstract in the new film than it is in Lynch’s or even in Herbert’s novel. It’s a collection of design elements, well-executed and unified by the director, but more akin to a display than a lived-in world. Even the wardrobe has that vibe; I’ve seen outfits for sale at unjustifiable prices that are close cousins to the minimalist dress uniforms of 2021’s House Atreides. There are flamboyant cuts and select use of garish color and jewelry in the costumes of the universe, but they are the stuff of the fashion runway, not longstanding civilizations. Add in the depressing color palette and the film’s persistently somber tone, and the whole thing feels even more artificial.

Fair enough
Old 11-12-21, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,799 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris

True, the scale of Dune is vast. Villeneuve did what needed to be done cinematically to convey that scale. Interesting they mention the books making that scale less abstract. How did Herbert do it? Interior dialog, which tends to fail in movies. It's almost as if [don't say it! they scream] Dune is ... unfilmable?

That said, I liked this version a lot.
Old 11-13-21, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Some interesting thoughts on Dune comparisons ...

Dune's production budget was approximately $165 million. Jungle Cruise, Mulan, and Black Widow all had production budgets of $200 million each.

Imagine a sci-fi epic that ...
  • does not explain the physics of it's space travel or weaponry,
  • features an unknown lurking government led by an emperor,
  • has internal power struggles occurring within that government,
  • focuses on a rebel group fighting against the government,
  • has a main character who is a young boy with a magic power discovered through a quasi-religious group of mystics,
  • and takes place largely on a desert planet.
I cannot understand Star Wars.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-13-21 at 10:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
milo bloom (11-13-21), story (11-14-21)
Old 11-13-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Some interesting thoughts on Dune comparisons ...

Dune's production budget was approximately $165 million. Jungle Cruise, Mulan, and Black Widow all had production budgets of $200 million each.

Imagine a sci-fi epic that ...
  • does not explain the physics of it's space travel or weaponry,
  • features an unknown lurking government led by an emperor,
  • has internal power struggles occurring within that government,
  • focuses on a rebel group fighting against the government,
  • has a main character who is a young boy with a magic power discovered through a quasi-religious group of mystics,
  • and takes place largely on a desert planet.
I cannot understand Star Wars.

I'm curious if the sequel will get more of or less of a budget, or about the same. Villeneuve was able to pull off quite a bit with what he had, and I think there's a chance he may have shot some stuff to get used in the sequel with this one in case it happened. They have quite a bullish start date of this summer for shooting with a Fall 2023 release date, so I'm guessing everyone's schedule worked out, but then again they don't need everyone all in the same place at the same time except for maybe
Spoiler:
the final duel between Paul and Feyd
Old 11-14-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This has now made $350 million worldwide. I am curious if this movie would have done better without a pandemic and just a theatrical run, or if maybe the streaming availability helped it a bit more. I still hear people on the radio and other media talking about how they enjoyed it on HBOMax and it appears that format is keeping it popular amongst the American public.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.