Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Dune?
5.71%
34.29%
34.29%
17.14%
4.29%
2.86%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
0%
Don't stream and don't go to theaters, so waiting until 2022 for physical media.
1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 10-25-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Re: Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

The soonest you would get a Dune 2 would probably be 2024.
Old 10-25-21, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 626 Likes on 479 Posts
Re: Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Which sucks because Chalamet may hit puberty by then. Then he won’t look or sound the same.
Old 10-25-21, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 642 Likes on 499 Posts

He may be a dainty little thing, but he was banging Eiza Gonzalez, so props on that.
Old 10-25-21, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 801 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Best day and date opening for WB, Villeneuve's career, and beating forecasts.

If anyone knows anyone else who has HBOMax please ask them to put it one Dune. They don't have to watch it, they just have to let it play.

I watched it twice on my own over the weekend because i enjoyed it. Wife still wants to watch so I have some more viewings in the days ahead.
Old 10-25-21, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Did they not shoot this back to back?

Yeah i saw lotsa people saying this over the weekend. Why do people think 1 and 2 were being shot back to back?
Old 10-25-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yeah i saw lotsa people saying this over the weekend. Why do people think 1 and 2 are being shot back to back?
Since it's only about half of the book I think many assumed it'd be a back-to-back thing like Lord of the Rings. I think leaning on "The Next Lord of the Rings" for advertising also put that in peoples' heads.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (10-25-21)
Old 10-25-21, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Makes sense.
Old 10-25-21, 04:02 PM

Received 897 Likes on 519 Posts

We saw this last night and loved it. It was our first date night out with the kids at home with a sitter since opening night of Rise of Skywalker. It was worth the sitter.

I watched the original Dune several times as a kid but haven't seen it in at least 20+ years or more. I only recently read the book for the first time (on unabridged audio) in 2020 and loved it. This was the one movie that I'd said if it had come out last fall, I'd have a tough time weighing on whether to risk going to the theater or not. It was worth the wait. The theater was nearly a full house, on a Sunday night. We'd reserved seats in the back row corner days ago and we still had people all around us by showtime.

Story is excellent. The visuals and sound were superb. I liked every actor, everyone seemed right at home in this world. My spouse recalled a few things being out of order from the book but it worked for me. I'd forgotten about the judge character and was glad they had the part about seeking water with her. The stopping point in the film is a relatively natural stopping point in the book, as far as I can recall.

The one thing I'd wish for is the banquet scene. When I read the book, it was my favorite, revealing so many layers of political intrigue and depth. I think they could have shortened or cut a few dozen of Paul's dream sequences to allow screen time for this.

Last edited by story; 10-25-21 at 05:15 PM.
B.A. (10-25-21)
Old 10-25-21, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm honest surprised how many people on here have never seen the David Lynch version of Dune.
Old 10-25-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 558 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
The one thing I'd wish for is the banquet scene. When I read the book, it was my favorite, revealing so many layers of political intrigue and depth. I tbinkntheybcould shortened a few dozen of Paul's dream sequences to allow screen time for this.
Without the inner monologue, that scene would be almost impossible to produce on film. At the very least, it would have to be heavily re-written as the whole scene relies heavily on what is not said. Also, to have that scene without a substantial amount of "life in Arakeen" content around it would have been discordant, and the screenplay already skimped heavily in that area as it was.
Old 10-25-21, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
I'm honest surprised how many people on here have never seen the David Lynch version of Dune.
The David Lynch version has been panned for decades, plus Lynch doesn't have much mainstream appeal, and even he disowned the extended cut and doesn't like talking about the film in general.

So for the general audience, there's this flop that is also critically panned, and when it comes up it's mostly talked about how weird and Lynchian it is, so they don't watch it. For arthouse/cult fans, the fact that Lynch apparently hates it doesn't make it that appealing. There's no director's cut, and the extended cut we got was made for TV, so while it adds additional scenes, it also ads a pandering, overlong new narration right at the beginning. So there's no single cut that has consensus as being the best to watch.

Not to mention all the Dune novel fans who have been blasting it for decades for not being the ideal adaptation. Given the plethora of material to watch nowadays, Dune 1984 isn't one many are going to to out of their way for.

I watched it on HBO Max this past year. It's both better and worse than I remembered.
Old 10-25-21, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 864 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Which sucks because Chalamet may hit puberty by then. Then he won’t look or sound the same.
I'm fairly sure there's a timejump within the first book of at least a few years, plus people like him look young for a long time.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yeah i saw lotsa people saying this over the weekend. Why do people think 1 and 2 were being shot back to back?
Because it would have made the most sense. I knew it wasn't but I still find myself wondering why they didn't to this day. Yes, it's a big expense, but it already was so why not just make it work?
Old 10-25-21, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Because it would have made the most sense. I knew it wasn't but I still find myself wondering why they didn't to this day. Yes, it's a big expense, but it already was so why not just make it work?
I already addressed Dune not shooting both parts back-to-back upthread:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
It may seem strange to you, but it's actually pretty normal. A studio typically isn't going to commit upfront to more than one film for an unproven film series/franchise. The number of films shot back-to-back/simultaneous is rather small, and in terms of doing that from the beginning, before the first film is released, it's basically just LOTR and Superman 1 & 2 in terms of US blockbuster films, and even Superman 2 had filming shut down to focus on finishing Superman 1, losing the director in the process.

For the majority of back-to-back/simultaneous film shoots, they're only greenlit for sequels to a hit original film/franchise. Think The Matrix, Back to the Future, Harry Potter, Twilight, Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hobbit, etc. Those were all after the first film in the series, produced on its own, was a hit. Note that I'm also including The Hobbit since those films were clearly greenlit due to the success of the LOTR films, and tried to tie in and build off that success as much as possible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_back-to-back

Dune is somewhat different in that it's only half of a novel/story though, whereas most of those other films series had a first film that could work as a standalone, while Dune needs a part 2 to have complete story. Even then though, there are predecessors. Take the Atlas Shrugged film trilogy, which were only greenlit one at a time, and I'm sure the producers of that first film were grateful they hadn't paid for all 3 films upfront, due to how bad the first film bombed. The sequels only got made due to ever decreasing budgets and production values, taking into account how poorly the last film did. And WB also split up Stephen King's IT, initially only producing the first half of the story, although that was helped out due to the fact that one could re-arrange the novel in chronological order to have a first part that could work standalone.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...dForAdaptation

The studios also aren't necessarily risking rising cast/crew fees, since for many films nowadays they have the notable cast and crew sign "multi-picture" deals where the cast commit to multiple films, typically 3, while the studio only commits to making the first while retaining the option to make the other two.

There's also the issue of tying up so munch money into a film series for multiple years on end, when you won't see returns on it for years out, having to wait for multiple film releases until it all comes back. Studios only have so much money per year to spend on films, using the revenue from the last film to pay for the next. I'm sure WB is actually a bit relieved that they didn't have money tied up and already spent on Dune Part 2 after the pandemic delayed movie releases, meaning they wouldn't see the money back from Part 2 until at least 2022, after initially funding in 2019. The money they didn't spend on Part 2 upfront could instead be spent on films that could be produced and released shortly after, or even maybe before, Dune, bringing in more revenue.

So it's frustrating to a fan, who wants to see the conclusion of the story as soon as possible, but it makes sense from a business perspective.
Old 10-25-21, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,860 Likes on 1,877 Posts

My issue is that this movie, IMO, doesn't stand as a single entity, as a complete film. Compare it to A New Hope or Fellowship of the Rings or Batman Begins or John Wick or The Matrix. All those movies, while part of a trilogy, work entirely on their own. They have a complete story, a hero's journey. If there were never an Empire Strikes Back or The Two Towers or The Dark Knight or those other sequels, the original would still be revered as a classic. Here, the entire success of the film is predicated on making a sequel and it being good. If that happens, then this movie might go down as a classic. If not you have an incomplete story. I'm never a fan of an incomplete story, but especially in a non-sequel.
Old 10-25-21, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
I liked the movie, too, I just don't think it's 'magnificent.'

How do you feel about movies where humans get in a lot of knife fights and ride giant worms?

I think those worms would be little more than weapons with which Kong would hit Godzilla.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
Cellar Door (10-25-21), Kurt D (10-26-21)
Old 10-25-21, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 626 Likes on 479 Posts

Now THAT is what makes for a MAGNIFICENT movie!
Old 10-25-21, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone else notice at least three words pronounced differently in the new film compared with the '84 film?
  1. Harkonnen (new film accents the first syllable instead of the second)
  2. Leto ("Letto" in the new film, "Leeto" in '84)
  3. Padishah ("paDEEsha" in the new film, "PAdishaw" in '84)
Giantrobo (10-26-21)
Old 10-25-21, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

^ That certainly stood out to me... particularly paDEEsha. I always defer to the pronunciation in the Lynch film, since Frank Herbert was still alive to consult on those matters.

Hopefully they won't pronounce Alia (all-E-ah) the same as late R&B singer Aaliyah (uh-lee-uh) if part two gets made.

Last edited by joe_b; 10-25-21 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-25-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I really enjoyed it - and I went into it thinking I would not (I haven't been a fan of many of Denis's other films).

I watched at home on my 77" 4k OLED...but I couldn't help wondering how some of those dark scenes (particularly the one in the desert the night before the knife fight) played in the theater - knowing many chains tend to dim their image (meaning their projector lightbulbs) quite a bit...could you even SEE the night sequence in your theater? It was pretty dark on my calibrated OLED...so I was wondering about that.
Saw this in IMAX and that desert sequence was the only one I remember as difficult to see.
Old 10-25-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, "thoo-FEER hah-WAT" in the new film instead of "THOO-fer HAH-wat" in the '84 film. Forgot about that one.
Giantrobo (10-26-21)
Old 10-26-21, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
My issue is that this movie, IMO, doesn't stand as a single entity, as a complete film. Compare it to A New Hope or Fellowship of the Rings or Batman Begins or John Wick or The Matrix. All those movies, while part of a trilogy, work entirely on their own.
Fellowship of the Ring definitely does not work entirely on its own. If that was the only live-action LOTR film, it'd be almost as lacking as the animated one, and there'd be tons of people bemoaning that there never were any sequels to finish the story.

In contrast, Star Wars, Batman Begins, John Wick, and The Matrix were all written as standalone films, with only the possibility of, as yet unwritten, sequels.

Typically, studios are keen to finance a story split over multiple films only after the first film is successful. Hence the Matrix sequels, where The Matrix Reloaded doesn't stand on its own, because it knew a third film was on its way. Or Back to the Future 2 & 3, The Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2, etc. Even Empire Strikes Back, arguable the best of the original Star Wars trilogy, doesn't really stand on its own, with a cliffhanger. And a sequel to ESB was in no way greenlit or guaranteed when that film was made.

So we see films that don't stand on their own all the time with franchises, the difference is that they're typically the penultimate film in a given series.

But what's happened with Dune is rare, since studios typically want a first film that can stand on its own, since they're loath to greenlight more than one film for an all new film series right from the first film. This was to the detriment of The Dark Tower film, where the film ended up being weird hybrid of the 1st and 7th books, just to tack on an ending that could let it "stand on its own."

We're far more used to this for TV series, where a show will introduce a premise/mystery and explore it for multiple seasons, even though no season apart from the first one is guaranteed. Plenty of shows have ended before fully resolving their overall arc, and we viewers just consider it a risk of watching a show as it develops. But it's not quite as common for a movie series, especially from the outset.
story (10-26-21)
Old 10-26-21, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
How about ths tv series I believe it was show on Sci-Fi channel. I have the DVD, it was okay don't think the Baron was that evil enough.

Old 10-26-21, 10:55 AM

Received 897 Likes on 519 Posts

I didn't have cable when that came out and I never got around to it. I remember seeing a trailer for it in a movie theaters though, the first time I recall seeing a trailer for a TV show at the movies.
Old 10-26-21, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 268 Posts

The Dune miniseries was good. Not great, certainly chintzy-looking, and some questionable acting/editing, but they captured the novel (for the most part) in an enjoyable and proper manner.
Old 10-26-21, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 436 Posts

"But how will people pronounce Thufir Hawat? Leto? Liets? Harkonnen? Padishaw?"
"Yeah, screw this I'm gonna call this character Duncan Idaho!"
joe_b (10-26-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.