Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Dune?
5.71%
34.29%
34.29%
17.14%
4.29%
2.86%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
0%
Don't stream and don't go to theaters, so waiting until 2022 for physical media.
1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 10-23-21, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I thought the first hour was sort of ponderous and seething with self importance. I think they were trying for it to epic and show the scale of the stakes and houses but it was too self serious to be effective. It could have used a couple lighter moments to humanize everyone other than maybe Mamoa a little bit. However, the second half really worked well I thought. Not because it was more action oriented but because once the exposition and "look at me" visuals were sort of out of the way, the movie seemed to take a breath and open up. I gave it 4 stars as it made me want to see the next one. Zendaya despite what was essentially a cameo was well cast and sort of glued everything together in a way. The blue eyes worked well.

I did think the we ruled by air and sea power now we need desert power bit just came off as dumb, but still had a payoff with Paul riding a worm.

I didn't love the score all that much. Still it seems like a movie that could get people to see it in the theaters even if they watched it already on HBO Max. There was a little too much mumbling for my taste I used CC.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (10-24-21)
Old 10-23-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 687 Likes on 562 Posts
Re: Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) -- S: Chalamet, Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I liked the movie. Great visuals, great cast, and I understood the plot better than I expected to. (I read a few of the books and saw the Lynch movie, but both were a long time ago.) I didnít realize the movie was incomplete, but that makes sense given the scope of the original material. No burning desire to watch it again until the next part comes out. I watched on HBO Max in 4K, but probably shouldíve gone to a theater.

Rebecca Ferguson is now taking roles as moms to grownups? (Sheís 38; Chalamet is 25.)
Old 10-23-21, 11:53 AM

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

Rebecca Ferguson is now taking roles as moms to grownups? (She’s 38; Chalamet is 25.)
Paul is supposed to be (in the book) 15 and Chalamet certainly looks like a teenager.
Old 10-23-21, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Paul is supposed to be (in the book) 15 and Chalamet certainly looks like a teenager.
Playing a mom to a teenager doesnít make me feel that much better.

She was great in the role, though.
B.A. (10-24-21)
Old 10-23-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 501 Likes on 354 Posts

Note that in the original 1984 film, Francesca Annis (Lady Jessica) was 39, and Kyle MacLachlan (Paul) was 25.

According to a wiki, Jessica was born 10154 AG, Paul born 10175 AG, so she had Paul when she was 21. The events of Dune take place in 10,191 AG, so Jessica is 37, while Paul is 16. So really, it's Paul's casting that is off by a decade.
https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Jessica_Atreides
https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Paul_Atreides
Old 10-23-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

In all honesty, if WB wants to give interest in this movie a boost, they should go ahead and publicly announce the sequel. I think Disney did something similar with Cruella to generate more interest in that first entry after a somewhat low first weekend. Then again, there is always streaming.
Old 10-23-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,171 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Answer here (from the book):
Spoiler:
Dr. Yueh knew that his Wanna was dead, but went along with the fiction that she was alive so that he could get someone close to Baron Harkonnen. The poison tooth was intended to kill the Baron, and it almost did. Yueh knew he would die, and thought this was his best chance at revenge.
Not to be too pedantic, but this isn't really accurate:

Spoiler:
Yueh believed she was probably dead, but was hardly certain. Excerpts from the novel:

"What I do is done to be certain my Wanna no longer can be hurt by the Harkonnen beasts." (page 61)

"Wanna might not be dead. He had to be certain." (page 95)

"The old feud had trapped him in a web, killed his Wanna or - worse - left her for Harkonnen tortures until her husband did their bidding." (page 103)

"He had seen the subtle betrayals in the Baron's manner. Wanna was indeed dead - gone far beyond their reach." (page 286)

I think it is safe to say that Yueh:

Spoiler:
did not think for a minute that it was going to be a happy ending for him either way and was mostly just seeking confirmation that they had killed her already, but he clearly was not certain that she was dead.

The following 2 users liked this post by jfoobar:
B.A. (10-24-21), Bandoman (10-24-21)
Old 10-23-21, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 686 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
I did think the we ruled by air and sea power now we need desert power bit just came off as dumb, but still had a payoff with Paul riding a worm.
Did I miss something? I don't remember seeing Paul ride a worm yet.
Old 10-23-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
In all honesty, if WB wants to give interest in this movie a boost, they should go ahead and publicly announce the sequel. I think Disney did something similar with Cruella to generate more interest in that first entry after a somewhat low first weekend. Then again, there is always streaming.
I havenít participated in the pre-release discussion, but I wonder if they didnít want to call it ďpart 1Ē or announce a sequel in case that discouraged people who were hoping to see a complete story. Not sure if having them leave the theater (or their TVs) unsatisfied is better, though. They might feel bait and switched.
Old 10-23-21, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
Did I miss something? I don't remember seeing Paul ride a worm yet.
There was a quick shot at the very end of *someone* riding a worm. I guess it was supposed to be Paul. It was also supposedly supposed to be Paulís vision but the movie didnít do a very good job of portraying it that way. I didnít realize it was Paul because Paul looks off in the distance and sees someone riding the worm. Kind of indicated that Paul was watching someone else in real time and not a dream/vision.
Old 10-23-21, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 825 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
There was a quick shot at the very end of *someone* riding a worm. I guess it was supposed to be Paul. It was also supposedly supposed to be Paulís vision but the movie didnít do a very good job of portraying it that way. I didnít realize it was Paul because Paul looks off in the distance and sees someone riding the worm. Kind of indicated that Paul was watching someone else in real time and not a dream/vision.

It wasn't Paul. It was someone else riding one but foreshadowed that Paul will be riding one soon. In Part II.
The following 4 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
B.A. (10-24-21), Cellar Door (10-23-21), GoldenJCJ (10-23-21), Jay G. (10-23-21)
Old 10-23-21, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,423 Posts

^ Thanks. I didnít think it was Paul but I assumed someone who read the books knew better than me.
Old 10-23-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 686 Likes on 423 Posts

Yeah, it didn't appear to be any kind of vision at that point, because Paul, his mother, and Zendaya all took note of it. It was some random Fremen riding.
Old 10-23-21, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,093 Likes on 821 Posts

I keep thinking about the Part 1 that was in the title card, it just seems to be people in the past day or so talking about it and nobody from those early releases a few weeks back mentioned it and it really seems like something people would have noticed.

So, was it just added very recently to help drive the demand for the sequel? Or was the sequel already (quietly) green lit and theyíre waiting for the weekend returns to officially announce it?
Old 10-23-21, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I keep thinking about the Part 1 that was in the title card, it just seems to be people in the past day or so talking about it and nobody from those early releases a few weeks back mentioned it...
As far back as the IMAX Preview in July, there were mentions of the title card including "Part 1"
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/du...tion-part-one/
"So, Denis Villeneuve's DUNE: I was lucky enough to watch film's first 10 minutes (plus extended scene involving sandworm attack) on IMAX this week," The Globe's film editor Barry Hertz shared on Twitter. "Epic, genuinely thrilling stuff that demands biggest screen you can find. Oh ... and it's full on-screen title is DUNE: PART ONE."
When it was released theatrically in other countries in September, people mentioned seeing the "Part 1":
https://www.reddit.com/r/dune/commen...ed_the_screen/
Old 10-23-21, 03:52 PM

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I keep thinking about the Part 1 that was in the title card, it just seems to be people in the past day or so talking about it and nobody from those early releases a few weeks back mentioned it and it really seems like something people would have noticed.

So, was it just added very recently to help drive the demand for the sequel? Or was the sequel already (quietly) green lit and theyíre waiting for the weekend returns to officially announce it?
Well the screenplay was written as two movies, so a sequel is all up and ready. Why WB hasnít green lit it is because I think they wanted to see how well the first movie was received. Weíre going to get the follow up based on the box office so far.
Old 10-23-21, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Well the screenplay was written as two movies, so a sequel is all up and ready. Why WB hasn’t green lit it is because I think they wanted to see how well the first movie was received. We’re going to get the follow up based on the box office so far.
Another reason I think WB is acting bullish on a sequel is because they're probably going to get the same deal as last time where Legendary foots most of the bill and then they just have to pay a small % of the rest for marketing and distribution. And since (hopefully) the world will be more back to normal at that point, they won't have to worry about any legal issues regarding the decision to stream the movie the same time as theaters.
Brack (10-23-21)
Old 10-23-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Well the screenplay was written as two movies, so a sequel is all up and ready. Why WB hasnít green lit it is because I think they wanted to see how well the first movie was received. Weíre going to get the follow up based on the box office so far.
A full screenplay wasn't written for both movies, just the first one. The second film initially only got a treatment. From an interview with one of the screenwriters:
https://collider.com/dune-movie-upda...oth-interview/
ďItís completely the first half. Yeah. I didn't know when we started, so I think I adapted a little more than the first half and started going into the second half of the book. But I've seen the film, it's pretty much the first half.Ē...

ďI [wrote] a treatment to show the estate what we could do with the second half, but Iíve got to tell you that I think I've done as much as I can do. I also have other things I want to do. I'm 76 years old, and these things obviously take a long time to do. And so I have a few others I'm excited about. And hopefully people love Dune so much that they do want to have a second part, and I'm sure Denis would do amazing version of that."
Denis Villeneuve started a script for Part 2 back in August.
https://www.gamesradar.com/dune-2-is...is-optimistic/
. "Iím writing [Part Two] now, and I feel like Iím eight years old again," he says, flashing a childlike grin. "
Old 10-23-21, 05:28 PM

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Visually striking, but it felt like nothing really happened (that's just the best way I can sum up how I felt when it ended). Definitely easier to follow than Lynch's Dune. I thought the casting was pretty spot on, but Rebecca Ferguson was a little hard to understand with her low, whispered dialog. I don't know that I would watch this again until the sequel comes out.
Old 10-23-21, 05:30 PM

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
A full screenplay wasn't written for both movies, just the first one. The second film initially only got a treatment. From an interview with one of the screenwriters:
https://collider.com/dune-movie-upda...oth-interview/

Denis Villeneuve started a script for Part 2 back in August.
https://www.gamesradar.com/dune-2-is...is-optimistic/
I didnít mean to insinuate that the second part was already written, but that the screenplay was written as one of two parts. Outside of that, I have no idea, you have more insight on this it looks like.
Old 10-24-21, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,093 Likes on 821 Posts

I honestly didnít recall seeing any mention of the Part 1 title card before now and I was following the early reports pretty heavily. Seems like something I would have been more cognizant of.
Old 10-24-21, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,730 Posts

I really wanted to like it. Thought it was very well made and looked great. But I thought it was boring AF and felt like very little happened for long stretches. Liked the parents but didnít connect with the Paul character at all.
Old 10-24-21, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I really wanted to like it. Thought it was very well made and looked great. But I thought it was boring AF and felt like very little happened for long stretches. Liked the parents but didnít connect with the Paul character at all.

The fact that you found it boring but still gave it three stars speaks a lot about the movie's strength in the visual area. Having read the books, I thought they did a good job with Paul, but I will admit they wrote him like a typical modern teen, which can be and kind of was annoying at time. If/when they make a sequel they will definitely need to improve that about the character.
Old 10-24-21, 11:31 AM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I agree with this. When people keep having to CRAM IT DOWN EVERYONEíS THROAT how visually stunning it is and how the score/sound is so amazing, you know something is missing.

It was incredibly stupid to split this Dune up.

And it is a boring film. This first part absolutely did not need to be 2 hours, 35 mins.
Old 10-24-21, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best day and date opening for WB, Villeneuve's career, and beating forecasts.

If anyone knows anyone else who has HBOMax please ask them to put it one Dune. They don't have to watch it, they just have to let it play.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.