Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lost Daughter (2021, D: M. Gyllenhaal) S: Colman, Buckley, Johnson, Harris, Sarsgaard

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Lost Daughter (2021, D: M. Gyllenhaal) S: Colman, Buckley, Johnson, Harris, Sarsgaard

Old 10-18-21, 11:58 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

A womanís beach vacation takes a dark turn when her obsession with a young mother forces her to confront the secrets of her past. Directed & Written by Maggie Gyllenhaal the cast includes Olivia Colman, Jessie Buckley, Dakota Johnson, Ed Harris, Peter Sarsgaard, Dagmara Dominczyk & Paul Mescal.
Festival reviews currently at 94%: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lost_daughter
Old 12-29-21, 09:26 AM

Re: The Lost Daughter (2021, D: M. Gyllenhaal) S: Colman, Buckley, Johnson, Harris, Sarsgaard

This will be up on Netflix on Friday.
Old 12-31-21, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: The Lost Daughter (2021, D: M. Gyllenhaal) S: Colman, Buckley, Johnson, Harris, Sarsgaard

Even with the positive reviews, this movie just doesn't seem interesting to me.
Old 01-03-22, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

Won't give out a spoiler but the ending of this one is quite ambiguous. I think this movie was just too long and was a little bit too convoluted with the two timelines. I really like Colman but this one left me a bit cold in the end. It's a pretty strange storyline and I spent most of the movie wondering where the hell it was going and was a bit surprised in the end the way the storyline moved. The ending is intentionally ambiguous which is fine. It's a bit startling to see Ed Harris, he seems to have aged quite a bit since West World, still enjoyable as an actor but I was a bit worried about him breaking a hip when he was dancing.
Old 01-03-22, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Watched this with my wife as the trailer looked pretty good... looked quite suspenseful... it was trash. I know the acting was good but the plot was pure garbage.
Old 01-03-22, 02:26 PM

Yea... I didn't care much for this.
Old 01-03-22, 08:29 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
It's a bit startling to see Ed Harris, he seems to have aged quite a bit since West World, still enjoyable as an actor but I was a bit worried about him breaking a hip when he was dancing.
Startling, indeed. Like, a creep show, or something...

Old 01-04-22, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Even with the positive reviews, this movie just doesn't seem interesting to me.
Hate to say it but I was right. Gave it a shot but I didn't get it.
Old 01-05-22, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

I thought this was pretty incredible. Maybe even the best of the year. Certainly top 3 or 4. My heart was in my throat for almost the entire runtime. Between this and C'mon C'mon, it's certainly been a year for tapping into the conflicting emotions of parenthood. All I wanted to do afterwards was hug my kids.
Old 01-07-22, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Performances were there, story was not.

it got great reviews because itís ambiguous, mysterious and directed by a woman.

Mags should have gotten a skilled director to help her stick this landing. It was also way too fucking long.

Should have been about 95 minutes, not 122.
Old 01-11-22, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

I could see it was well-made, but I never got emotionally invested in the characters or the story. I wish this didn't sound so mean and insulting, but I felt the ambiguity was to cover up for the fact there wasn't much going on. This is more like an Alice Munro short story, which maybe is more of a compliment than a criticism.

Old 01-11-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Do none of you guys have kids? I felt every single aching second of this movie in my heart. Leda is a complicated character whose makes some questionable choices (and that's putting it nicely), but I couldn't help but empathize with her. Raising kids is simultaneously the most joyful thing I've ever done and completely suffocating. That moment when Nina asks how it was to be away from her kids for 3 years, and Leda replies "amazing" was just the most heartbreaking, infuriating and yet truthful thing I've seen in a movie in some time.

And what does everyone think was so ambiguous? The ending is certainly ambiguous, but I'm not sure how much bearing it has on everything that came before no matter how you interpret it.

Spoiler:
I think she died/was dying and the conversation on the beach with her daughter was imagined.

Everything else felt pretty straight forward to me.
Old 02-13-22, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I dunno, I thought the movie was pretty effective. I agree with rocket that having kids is both joyful and frustrating, and that was the movieís point. The character certainly made some questionable choices, and the plot wasnít straightforward and took a while to get there.

As far as rocketís spoiler,
Spoiler:
I think youíre correct. It wasnít logical that she went through those things then was suddenly fine. I also kept expecting that one or both daughters had died and never made it to 23/25. They never said that so I guess not, but it would make sense with the last scene.