Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why donít theater chains advertise more (ever?)?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-15-21, 09:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

I just realized when I saw Nicole Kidman, of all people, hocking AMC theaters on broadcast tv did I realize, Iíve never seen movie chains: Regal, AMC, etcÖ advertise. Iíve seen ads in theater, but never outside.

Donít they compete and obviously Kidman doing now Bc of worldsí pandemic, want theater goers go to their theaters? Or just no money and movie itself is the advertisement? But, what if multiple chains to choose from. I know I only have Regal by me so no competition, but some ads or is this beginning? HmmmÖ.
Old 10-15-21, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts
Re: Why donít theater chains advertise more (ever?)?

I guess I could see them advertise stuff like AMC Stubs or the different programs, but otherwise don't people just go to either whatever's closest or whatever they consider the "best" is (like Arclilght probably doesn't need to advertise)?
Old 10-15-21, 09:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

I don’t even know what Arclight is.
Old 10-15-21, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Arclight is gone, but they were one of the few higher priced theaters that never had in-theater advertisements. They would play 3 trailers and then the feature would start. My AMC plays pre-ads and a shitload of trailers before promoting the concessions and AMC Stubs. After that we get the Dolby Vision / Atmos trailers then the feature starts. Last week when we saw NTTD I looked at my phone and all of that advertisement lasted 27 minutes before the film actually started.

When we saw Army of the Dead in a iPic theater this past summer they only showed 13 minutes of trailers before the feature. Seems like the giant chains show more.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 10-15-21 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-15-21, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,149 Likes on 899 Posts

I actually just saw an advertisement for AMC this past Monday or Tuesday I think. It kind of stood out because I never see advertisements for theater chains really. Unfortunately my town no longer has an AMC, but there is a new theater here now (Golden Ticket Cinemas).
Old 10-16-21, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,186 Likes on 2,054 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I guess I could see them advertise stuff like AMC Stubs or the different programs, but otherwise don't people just go to either whatever's closest or whatever they consider the "best" is (like Arclilght probably doesn't need to advertise)?
Pretty much my answer as well.

I guess theater chains would battle behind-the-scenes for theater locations, screen sizes, monopolies, etc. but when it comes to the movie-goer, they typically go with whatís closest. They donít care if itís AMC or Regal. If the movie they want to see is playing near them, thatís all they care about. Even the ďnerdsĒ like us who want to see certain movies in certain theaters with the best presentation, etc. donít care what theater chain is providing that presentation.
Old 10-16-21, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,092 Likes on 789 Posts

I could imagine some place like Flix Brewhouse advertising it's special amenities, but TV advertising hits a wide area, so the vast majority of the TV audience wouldn't be anywhere near a Flix theater, so the money spent would be kind of a waste.

As far as national chains, It's kind of like asking why airports don't advertise.
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (10-17-21)
Old 10-16-21, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I haven't seen a newspaper in years but, the ad for a movie, the poster or whatever, would be a shared cost between the studios and theaters. All the theaters, regardless of chain, would be listed under the ad. Then each chain would have it's own directory ad, listing all the theaters in the chain and what was showing.
Don't know if studios and theaters share in the cost of modern trailer ads on tv. TV ads were local in the old days. With a national tv ad it's probably just the studio paying for it.
Old 10-16-21, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

I've been to five movies this year. Two were at multiplexes, so I had to look them up on-line. The other three were at indie/arthouse venues and I wouldn't have known about them if they didn't advertise in the print edition of The New York Times.
Old 10-16-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
I haven't seen a newspaper in years but, the ad for a movie, the poster or whatever, would be a shared cost between the studios and theaters. All the theaters, regardless of chain, would be listed under the ad. Then each chain would have it's own directory ad, listing all the theaters in the chain and what was showing.
Don't know if studios and theaters share in the cost of modern trailer ads on tv. TV ads were local in the old days. With a national tv ad it's probably just the studio paying for it.
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I've been to five movies this year. Two were at multiplexes, so I had to look them up on-line. The other three were at indie/arthouse venues and I wouldn't have known about them if they didn't advertise in the print edition of The New York Times.
Newspapers? Print editions?

Old 10-16-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,018 Likes on 809 Posts

I'm surprised there aren't more ads from AMC. r/wallstreetbets made them a hefty sum this year and unlike Gamestop they actually used their position.
Old 10-16-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm surprised there aren't more ads from AMC. r/wallstreetbets made them a hefty sum this year and unlike Gamestop they actually used their position.
You think AMC should run advertising that promotes their value as a stock? Do corporations even do that on the cable business news channels?
Old 10-16-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
You think AMC should run advertising that promotes their value as a stock? Do corporations even do that on the cable business news channels?
If I had to guess, companies like IBM and Cisco buying advertising time more than 20 years ago ?
Old 10-16-21, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy
If I had to guess, companies like IBM and Cisco buying advertising time more than 20 years ago ?
If you can find an example of one and post it . . .

Old 10-16-21, 05:26 PM

If you can find an example of one and post it . . .
I would be quite surprised if an ad explicitly said something along the lines of "buy our stock" sorta thing. I would have thought something that explicit would be a sign of no confidence in the company, however paradoxical.

Back in the day, I was wondering why some hi-tech hardware and/or services companies even advertised in the first place on television, if they are not selling a product to consumers on the general mass market. I never quite understood what a company like IBM or Cisco gained from advertising on television, other than "renting out real estate" in enough brains for memory recall when it comes to future stock investment decisions.
Old 10-16-21, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy
I would be quite surprised if an ad explicitly said something along the lines of "buy our stock" sorta thing. I would have thought something that explicit would be a sign of no confidence in the company, however paradoxical.

Back in the day, I was wondering why some hi-tech hardware and/or services companies even advertised in the first place on television, if they are not selling a product to consumers on the general mass market. I never quite understood what a company like IBM or Cisco gained from advertising on television, other than "renting out real estate" in enough brains for memory recall when it comes to future stock investment decisions.
So you were guessing incorrectly in your previous post. Thank you.
Old 10-16-21, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, I mean they presently have $1.8 billion cash on hand after ages of being at the $300m mark. They could be advertising themselves more than they are.

businesses do advertise themselves on business networks, just rarely as blatant "buy our stock!" Unless it's an ETF. But generalized ads exist ie, Cisco and Grayscale. I've seen a few brag about how much they've grown in the last year but those are few and far apart (and not on Youtube)

Last edited by RichC2; 10-16-21 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-16-21, 06:30 PM

Unless it's an ETF ....
Now that you mention ETFs, I recall there were "spdr" efts being advertised on cable channels frequently back during the 2000s decade.

I don't remember many mutual funds advertising their funds as tv commercials. The "advertising" was more along the lines of the fund manager being interviewed as guests on cnbc or other investment news type shows/segments. (Such as Bill Gross from Pimco, etc ....).

Last edited by morriscroy; 10-16-21 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-16-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah they run the biggest ETF out there, they still advertise too. It's like a PowerPoint presentation. Back then they were almost infomercials.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-16-21 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-16-21, 06:42 PM

Offhand from what I recall, one mutual fund company which advertised a lot of tv commercials around 10 to 20+ years ago was named "Janus".

Last edited by morriscroy; 10-16-21 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-16-21, 07:04 PM

Yeah they run the biggest ETF out there, they still advertise too. It's like a PowerPoint presentation. Back then they were almost infomercials.
Another blantant case of this style of advertising, were the "nasdaq" tv commercials played all the time on cnbc in the late 1990s.
Old 10-16-21, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I mean they presently have $1.8 billion cash on hand after ages of being at the $300m mark. They could be advertising themselves more than they are.
But the point is, what would they be advertising? What would Cinemark run an ad on TV to advertise . . . their existence?

And how does Cinemark have $1.5 billion more today than they had in the past, after all their business was shut down for over a year? I thought all the theater chains were crying about potential bankruptcy last year?
Old 10-16-21, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

But the point is, what would they be advertising? What would Cinemark run an ad on TV to advertise . . . their existence?

And how does Cinemark have $1.5 billion more today than they had in the past, after all their business was shut down for over a year? I thought all the theater chains were crying about potential bankruptcy last year?

He was talking about AMC, not Cinemark. Did you miss the run on AMC's stock this year?
Old 10-16-21, 07:29 PM

Where does this $1.5 billion figure come from?

Cinemark only has around $595 million cash on their books as of June 30, 2021

https://www.marketwatch.com/investin...-sheet/quarter

Old 10-16-21, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
He was talking about AMC, not Cinemark. Did you miss the run on AMC's stock this year?
If one is talking about amc, then they have around $1.84 billion in cash on their books as of June 30, 2021.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investin...-sheet/quarter

In contrast on March 31, 2021, amc only had around $842 million in cash on their books.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.