Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why donít theater chains advertise more (ever?)?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why donít theater chains advertise more (ever?)?

Old 10-16-21, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Why donít theater chains advertise more (ever?)?

Originally Posted by morriscroy
If one is talking about amc, then they have around $1.84 billion in cash on their books as of June 30, 2021.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investin...-sheet/quarter

In contrast on March 31, 2021, amc only had around $842 million in cash on their books.

Correct. AMC are the ones living large right now.

EDIT - this happened in June:

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...-price-history

Old 10-16-21, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
But the point is, what would they be advertising? What would Cinemark run an ad on TV to advertise . . . their existence?

And how does Cinemark have $1.5 billion more today than they had in the past, after all their business was shut down for over a year? I thought all the theater chains were crying about potential bankruptcy last year?
AMC was $2 a share in January, the same apes that pumped up Gamestop stock pumped up AMC after rumors of their demise circulated and sent it as high as $62 a share. AMC took advantage of this to pay off some debt, offload some investors that held substantial percentages of their company and pad their accounts. It's worth noting they were a $10 stock before COVID.

They could advertise their seating, bars, Dolby theaters, whatever to explain why people should be coming back and why they should splurge on bigger formats.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-16-21 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-16-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
They could advertise their seating, bars, Dolby theaters, whatever to explain why people should be coming back and why they should splurge on bigger formats.
The first three points would likely only appeal to the hardcore crowd, which they would already know about. I don't know if the casual folks would even care about it.

I think the final point(s) might bring on ridicule, if the perception is that there is nothing special about the theater experience.
Old 10-17-21, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,122 Likes on 813 Posts

Here in Austin, the AMC, Cinemark, and Regal cinemas all have reserved purchase stadium seating and state of the art sound. I don't think any of those chain theaters have the food and beverage options that Flix and Alamo offer.
Seems to me you are suggesting that AMC spend money to advertise that they are exactly like every other theater.

Seriously, what could any national theater chain truthfully say about every theater they own that would make you want to go to that chain's theaters versus a competitor?

When I lived in north Austin, the Regal 16 was the closest theater to me, and that's where I almost always went to see mainstream releases. Now I live in a completely different area, and the Cinemark 14 is closest and that's where I usually go. I haven't been back to the Regal for years. Many years ago, someone gave me a bunch of AMC gift cards for Xmas, but the only AMC theater was in south Austin, and I wasn't going to drive all that way to go to the movies. All the theaters are basically the same. What can Exxon say about their gas stations that would make you choose them over Shell or Mobil? Why does anyone have a preference for CVS or Walgreens?
Old 10-17-21, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Vin Diesel did a commercial for AMC Theaters, too.

Old 10-17-21, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Valid, they are mostly similar. Except Regal, that place was a shitshow.
Old 10-17-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,122 Likes on 813 Posts

Valid, they are mostly similar. Except Regal, that place was a shitshow.
I'm going to take you at your word that is your opinion, but why? Is there something wrong with the Regal theater where you live?

They are all massive buildings filled with huge rooms where they project movies onto giant screens. Does one place have nicer seats than another? Maybe that's a difference. They all sell popcorn and candy and nachos and sodas at incredibly inflated prices.

Unless a particular theater (not the chain) has a reputation for being actually dirty, it is just really tough for me to imagine what would differentiate them enough for anyone to have a strong preference between AMC, Cinemark, and Regal.

But like I said, this all comes down to the individual theaters in hundreds of cities across the country. What could any of them say in a mass media advertising campaign about ALL their theaters that makes them different from the rest?

And if the idea is just self-promotion and awareness, it's pointless. Does anybody not know theaters exist? Does anybody not know how to find a place to go to see the movie they want to see? Does anybody not know what theaters are in their area? They are hard to miss.

I'm sure there is a organization of theater operators that would be responsible for encouraging people to go back into the theaters, in general, like the Dairy Council encourages people to drink milk.
Old 10-17-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Im sure it's just local but our Regals never upgraded. Their seating is still old school whereas Cinemark and AMC have over the top recliner seating. Their bigger format rooms ( RPX ) is lackluster, the other screen sizes are tiny comparatively and their sound systems are all configured in a way that any central seat ends up with muffled dialog.

Plus I've had 3 movies where the projectors went out before the end of the movie. 0 at the other places. And yeah, sticky.

But I also live in a city with a variety of chain theaters (AMC, Regal, Cinemark, EPIC) and local ones so at least I can go elsewhere.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-17-21 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-17-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

But like I said, this all comes down to the individual theaters in hundreds of cities across the country. What could any of them say in a mass media advertising campaign about ALL their theaters that makes them different from the rest?
Yeah, the things that distinguish movie theaters to the consumer are: what movies are playing there, where are they located, what are the starting times for the movie I want to see, and do they still have tickets for the time I want.

Even back when I regularly looked at newspaper ads for theaters, it was to see what was playing when and where. Typically I'd be looking for a particular movie, then compare movie start times and travel distance. If I was meeting up with others, we may go for the theater that's the best distance for all, instead of just the closest to me, but proximity was a big factor.

Price wasn't typically a factor, since all the theaters in the same area had about the same pricing, excepting the second-run theaters, but their movie selections were markedly different than the others.

I don't think TV ads would sway me to one theater chain or the other all too much, as what drives my visits to the theaters is the movie I want to watch. If a particular chain doesn't have the movie, I'm not going. If it isn't the closest, I'm not going. If the movie times don't work, I'm not going. Reserved seating was the last big differentiator, as I like knowing where I'm sitting when I'm buying the tickets in advance, instead of getting to the theater super early to try and get a good seat. When some chains had reserved seating and others didn't, I'd choose the reserved seating place if I could. But I think they all do reserved seating now.

Basically, the movie studios do the TV advertising for them, by advertising the movies that are in theaters. If you want to see that movie, you're going to go to a theater to see it, and your choice of theater is going to largely be decided by factors the chains can't really alter via TV advertising.

I'm sure there is a organization of theater operators that would be responsible for encouraging people to go back into the theaters, in general, like the Dairy Council encourages people to drink milk.
National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO)
https://www.natoonline.org/
Old 10-17-21, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Most people probably don't even pay attention to which theater they go to. They just seek out the most convenient one that's playing the movie they want to watch. I doubt there's much brand loyalty.

That said, a few years ago, Regal bought a locally-owned chain of what were really nice theaters, and they went to shit within weeks.