Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Halloween Kills?
1.92%
1.92%
17.31%
13.46%
17.31%
19.23%
15.38%
3.85%
3.85%
3.85%
1.92%
Don't care. Either I didn't like the 1st movie or I don't care for horror movies
0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 10-31-21, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I always thought that this movie and the 3rd movie were filmed together, but that is not the case. The hospital scenes and their stupid chant reminded me of the Capitol insurrection despite this movie being filmed well before that even occurred. As far as the movie goes, I have to say it is better than Halloween 5, which we just watched last night. I had not seen it for years and now I remember why. That has made for tv movie vibes all over it and is a steamer.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-01-21)
Old 10-31-21, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Kind of curious, for Halloween Kills if they wrote the part after Paul Rudd declined due to Ghostbusters. With the writing, no way possible would it have been believable hearing Paul say those lines. Also read that they will be adding the whole Covid thing into Halloween Ends ugh. Maybe Covid or the vaccine will take out Michael =/

Be curious, over time, if this ranks lower than the Rob Zombie films and his direction of Michael. If I remember, the "reboot" was actually pretty well done. How the team did a complete 180 on this is crazy.
Old 10-31-21, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 524 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I can't wait for Halloween Ends, although I hope they keep making Halloween movies.
I'm sure that they will keep making them as long as they make money, but if you just want to see other movies with Michael Myers killing people, there are 9 other films in the series, only one of them doesn't have Michael in it, 3 of them have JLC in it, but are a different contintinuity than the 2 newer films.

The following 3 users liked this post by Obi-Wanma:
dhmac (11-04-21), Spiderbite (10-31-21), Trevor (10-31-21)
Old 10-31-21, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma View Post
I'm sure that they will keep making them as long as they make money, but if you just want to see other movies with Michael Myers killing people, there are 9 other films in the series, only one of them doesn't have Michael in it, 3 of them have JLC in it, but are a different contintinuity than the 2 newer films.

Oh I know, I was just saying because of the title of the next one
Old 10-31-21, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

I decided to go see it again tonight. Going to the movies on Halloween has been my tradition for several years now. On second viewing I see the problems in the movie a lot better. My favorite scene is the massacre of the firefighters and by the end I was rooting for Michael Meyers to kill Anthony Michael Hall.
Old 11-01-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

At what point does Haddonfield PD call in SWAT?

I would say after killing all the firefighters.
Old 11-01-21, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 697 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I always thought that this movie and the 3rd movie were filmed together, but that is not the case. The hospital scenes and their stupid chant reminded me of the Capitol insurrection despite this movie being filmed well before that even occurred. As far as the movie goes, I have to say it is better than Halloween 5, which we just watched last night. I had not seen it for years and now I remember why. That has made for tv movie vibes all over it and is a steamer.
People hate 6 and Resurrection, but 5 is the worst for my money. It's just so boring, without any of the atmosphere or personality of the other films. Plus the mask is weird.
Old 11-01-21, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 697 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma View Post
What I'd really love is for them to go back to the original anthology idea after Ends. Season of the Witch is my second favorite, after the original.
Old 11-01-21, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 853 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
People hate 6 and Resurrection, but 5 is the worst for my money. It's just so boring, without any of the atmosphere or personality of the other films. Plus the mask is weird.
The Revenge of Michael Myers is such a disappointment in my opinion. Itís not only boring, but it also took a shit on a lot of aspects of the previous film, which was actually one of the better entries. It may be the sequel I enjoy the least.

I actually think in spite of its problems that The Curse of Michael Myers is actually an interesting film. It also has one of the better portrayals of Michael in my opinion.
IBJoel (11-01-21)
Old 11-03-21, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

CorderyFX is a YouTuber I watch and he did a review:

Old 11-04-21, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

After seeing this movie, I definitely think it was a huge mistake to retcon the original "Halloween II" out of the timeline. (I thought it was maybe a mistake after the last one, but now after this one, I'm absolutely convinced it was a mistake.)

All the townspeople becoming a crazy mob would've made much more sense if Michael's death toll from October 31, 1978 was 12 instead of just 3 people, which it would've been if Michael's 9 kills in "Halloween II" were retained (yeah, I know they kind of added 1 more to the 3 in this movie with the cop). It also explains what happened to Dr. Loomis if he was killed in the explosion and fire to end "Halloween II" and how Michael was recaptured (he survived being burnt but was easily caught afterward). Him basically giving himself up to the cops in this new one is less believable than him surviving that fire.

It also retains the Michael/Laurie as brother and sister plotpoint which makes Laurie's craziness in "Halloween (2018)" (I'll call it "H40") make sense all those years later *and* it gives a motive for Michael even going to her house at all in H40 instead of the lame "nutty doctor" plot twist that got him there. Like it or not, the brother-sister connection is the only reason Laurie Strode should be in any of the sequels and getting rid of it means it would be better if her character was completely left out of later movies and instead have all new characters in them.
JeremyM (01-24-22)
Old 11-04-21, 09:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
After seeing this movie, I definitely think it was a huge mistake to retcon the original "Halloween II" out of the timeline. (I thought it was maybe a mistake after the last one, but now after this one, I'm absolutely convinced it was a mistake.)

All the townspeople becoming a crazy mob would've made much more sense if Michael's death toll from October 31, 1978 was 12 instead of just 3 people, which it would've been if Michael's 9 kills in "Halloween II" were retained (yeah, I know they kind of added 1 more to the 3 in this movie with the cop). It also explains what happened to Dr. Loomis if he was killed in the explosion and fire to end "Halloween II" and how Michael was recaptured (he survived being burnt but was easily caught afterward). Him basically giving himself up to the cops in this new one is less believable than him surviving that fire.

It also retains the Michael/Laurie as brother and sister plotpoint which makes Laurie's craziness in "Halloween (2018)" (I'll call it "H40") make sense all those years later *and* it gives a motive for Michael even going to her house at all in H40 instead of the lame "nutty doctor" plot twist that got him there. Like it or not, the brother-sister connection is the only reason Laurie Strode should be in any of the sequels and getting rid of it means it would be better if her character was completely left out of later movies and instead have all new characters in them.
I agree with all of this. I liked the movie, but would have rather they kept the second one ďcanonĒ
The following 2 users liked this post by jwb0323:
Boondock Saint (11-05-21), story (11-05-21)
Old 11-05-21, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts

All the townspeople becoming a crazy mob would've made much more sense if Michael's death toll from October 31, 1978 was 12 instead of just 3 people, which it would've been if Michael's 9 kills in "Halloween II" were retained (yeah, I know they kind of added 1 more to the 3 in this movie with the cop).
Why is that? You live in a small town, three of your neighbors get murdered. You're mad but not enough to take action. Twelve of your neighbors get murdered and it's enough to push you over the edge? It doesn't seem to me like an emotional reaction like that would be based off of a kill count.

It also explains what happened to Dr. Loomis if he was killed in the explosion and fire to end "Halloween II" and how Michael was recaptured (he survived being burnt but was easily caught afterward). Him basically giving himself up to the cops in this new one is less believable than him surviving that fire.
Why is that? For us to decide when Michael's behavior is more or less believable depends on us knowing his motivation. What about his behavior in the flashback is unbelievable, and why?

Not if one of the major themes of Halloween is about the long term effects of trauma and how difficult it is to escape it. Laurie's obsession with Michael is unrequited and a psychological consequence of the trauma she suffers from. Is there an argument that being his sibling improves the story either thematically or logically? Halloween Kills builds upon this theme of the powerlessness feeling of fear leading to tragic obsession so I'm struggling to understand your assertion that the sibling connection is superior in anyway.
Old 11-05-21, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Didnít the mob form as a result of the rampant killing spree that occurred that very night (i.e. the events of the previous movie)? They were literally watching the news, some found out about their neighbors being killed.

The mob wasnít pissed about 40 years ago, that was just Laurie and anyone from part 1.
Old 11-05-21, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Didnít the mob form as a result of the rampant killing spree that occurred that very night (i.e. the events of the previous movie)? They were literally watching the news, some found out about their neighbors being killed.

The mob wasnít pissed about 40 years ago, that was just Laurie and anyone from part 1.
Correct and also some of the events from Kills. For example, everyone's smart phone goes after after the firefighter scene. So it's likely that a large portion of the mob would be friends and family of the first responders killed by Michael in 2018.
Old 11-05-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post

Dialogue in the movie sure made it out that the town was reacting to what happened 40 years earlier. Something that would've been more meaningful if it wasn't just 3 teenagers but also the entire night shift of the local hospital.
Old 11-06-21, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dialogue in the movie sure made it out that the town was reacting to what happened 40 years earlier. Something that would've been more meaningful if it wasn't just 3 teenagers but also the entire night shift of the local hospital.
Dialogue from Sheriff Brackett and Tommy Doyle, yes. If you rewatch the movie there seems to be a cause -> effect reaction from the bar patrons after the first responders are killed by Michael. Also the violent mob is formed at the hospital, meaning that most of the people are there because of violence from that Halloween night, not 40 years earlier.
Old 11-06-21, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Dialogue from Sheriff Brackett and Tommy Doyle, yes. If you rewatch the movie there seems to be a cause -> effect reaction from the bar patrons after the first responders are killed by Michael. Also the violent mob is formed at the hospital, meaning that most of the people are there because of violence from that Halloween night, not 40 years earlier.
Just imagine how much more meaningful the mob forming would've been if they also had Michael attacking and wiping out the entire hospital staff 40 years earlier as further justification. Could even have people say they need to get ready in case he comes back here to the hospital again, which better justifies their deranged behavior when the other mental patient shows up there.

No matter how you argue it, keeping "Halloween II" in the timeline would've been better than throwing it out.
Old 11-06-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just imagine how much more meaningful the mob forming would've been if they also had Michael attacking and wiping out the entire hospital staff 40 years earlier as further justification. Could even have people say they need to get ready in case he comes back here to the hospital again, which better justifies their deranged behavior when the other mental patient shows up there.

No matter how you argue it, keeping "Halloween II" in the timeline would've been better than throwing it out.
Hard disagree. The sister element throws a wrench into everything. I like Halloween II as an entertaining slasher but introducing some type of motivation to Michael Myers was a huge mistake, undermining the power of the original film. I mean, even John Carpenter thinks it sucks.
Old 11-06-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Hard disagree. The sister element throws a wrench into everything. I like Halloween II as an entertaining slasher but introducing some type of motivation to Michael Myers was a huge mistake, undermining the power of the original film. I mean, even John Carpenter thinks it sucks.
I think they shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of it without also getting rid of Laurie Strode as a character in the new movies. Why even have her character in the new movies at all if Michael isn't after her? John Carpenter only came up with the brother-sister connection because Michael needed a motive to continue going after Laurie in Halloween II. Without it, there's no reason whatsoever for him to do so.

I mean which would work better in H40: (A) Michael escaped and went to Laurie's house to finally kill his younger sister, or (B) Michael escaped and only went to Laurie's house because his doctor was a kooky lunatic who attacked a cop, stole a police car, and drove him there (a plot twist that only exists because of the lack of the brother-sister connection).

Last edited by dhmac; 11-06-21 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-06-21, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 853 Likes on 698 Posts

Yeah, I would have preferred Laurie to have just been left out of the new films. The reason sheís still in the current timeline and is encountering Michael feels really forced.

Regardless though Iíve come around to the choose your own adventure approach of the franchise, and once Halloween Ends comes out Iím sure there will be some other reboot eventually.
Old 11-06-21, 02:51 PM

Received 1,214 Likes on 721 Posts

But... but Halloween Ends!
Old 11-06-21, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of it without also getting rid of Laurie Strode as a character in the new movies. Why even have her character in the new movies at all if Michael isn't after her? John Carpenter only came up with the brother-sister connection because Michael needed a motive to continue going after Laurie in Halloween II. Without it, there's no reason whatsoever for him to do so.

I mean which would work better in H40: (A) Michael escaped and went to Laurie's house to finally kill his younger sister, or (B) Michael escaped and only went to Laurie's house because his doctor was a kooky lunatic who attacked a cop, stole a police car, and drove him there (a plot twist that only exists because of the lack of the brother-sister connection).
How about: (C) We still don't have a clear understanding of the mass murders that are unique to 21st century American society, so Halloween (2018) is a film that writes almost every character as a metaphor to explore the ways we cope with that troubling fact. Laurie has severe PTSD and paranoia that Michael will try to kill her again, Hawkins has survivor's guilt, the journalists attempt to exploit it for profit, Sartain wants to understand it by experiencing it himself IE: a copycat killer, Karen is in denial because her mother's trauma ruined her childhood, and the teenagers are oblivious to it because of sheltered upbringings.
Old 12-15-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

Has anyone watched the extended cut? Its now available on Vudu.
Old 12-15-21, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I bought it on iTunes. I'll try to watch it sometime in the next few days.
Bluelitespecial (12-15-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.