Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Halloween Kills?
1.92%
1.92%
17.31%
13.46%
17.31%
19.23%
15.38%
3.85%
3.85%
3.85%
1.92%
Don't care. Either I didn't like the 1st movie or I don't care for horror movies
0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 10-19-21, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts
Re: Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
This whole movie was a misdirect. Greer was the only actor in this one. She was pretty good in a very bad movie. How they gonna explain her absence all of a sudden? Probably show that deleted scene at beginning then cut to 4 years later I guess and she gets taken out by a nuke. That seems to be MO. Ugh.

What do you mean how are they going to explain her absence? She dies in the end of HK. What's there to explain?
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (10-31-21)
Old 10-19-21, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Halloween Kills (2021, D: Green, EP: Carpenter) -- S: Curtis, Greer -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Why should Tommy recognize Michael Myers' body shape? The last time he saw him was 40 years ago when he was a little boy. He also spent his entire night drinking in a bar and thinks he can defeat Michael Myers with a baseball bat.

James Jude Courtney is 6'3 while Nick Castle is 5'10, so by that logic Laurie should have felt something was off in 2018 when she saw a significant size difference with Michael from the 40-year gap.

Making the inmate look closer to Michael would accomplish only one thing: making the mob's actions more justified and understandable, which goes against the entire point of that plot. The point is to draw a parallel between the residents of Haddonfield and Michael Myers: an irrational desire to kill.
Old 10-19-21, 08:18 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

I thought this was funny.

majorjoe23 (10-31-21)
Old 10-19-21, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Why should Tommy recognize Michael Myers' body shape? The last time he saw him was 40 years ago when he was a little boy. He also spent his entire night drinking in a bar and thinks he can defeat Michael Myers with a baseball bat.
Even if Tommy hadn’t seen him in person for the last forty years if he was dwelling on it that long like Laurie was I imagine he would have some knowledge of how Michael looked. A case like that would have gotten coverage in newspapers and the local news and stuff at the time, and there would likely have been mugshots of him.

James Jude Courtney is 6'3 while Nick Castle is 5'10, so by that logic Laurie should have felt something was off in 2018 when she saw a significant size difference with Michael from the 40-year gap.
The size difference between Castle and Courtney is on the filmmakers. Normally I wouldn’t make a big deal of it, and that aspect didn’t bother me in Michael’s portrayal, but the other mental patient at the hospital was so clearly different in size and general look.

Making the inmate look closer to Michael would accomplish only one thing: making the mob's actions more justified and understandable, which goes against the entire point of that plot. The point is to draw a parallel between the residents of Haddonfield and Michael Myers: an irrational desire to kill.
It just would have made more sense, and the film could have still accomplished that same goal by having an innocent (well I guess we aren’t sure what the other guy was in for) inmate who looked more like Michael be killed.
Old 10-19-21, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I’ve never seen any of the Ghoulies movies, but do have affinity for quite a few flawed films. And I would expect people to have different expectations and apply different levels of criticism to David Gordon Green as opposed to (checks IMDB) Jim Wynorski. I’d be a lot more forgiving of Kills if it was just another low budget trotting out of a classic horror monster for 90 minutes of cheese and kills.
Old 10-19-21, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Even if Tommy hadn’t seen him in person for the last forty years if he was dwelling on it that long like Laurie was I imagine he would have some knowledge of how Michael looked. A case like that would have gotten coverage in newspapers and the local news and stuff at the time, and there would likely have been mugshots of him.
My impression of the characterization is that Tommy is an alcoholic who never left his small town. Is there any indication in the film that he's a smart person? The biggest thing he shares with Laurie is that fear clouded his judgment.

The size difference between Castle and Courtney is on the filmmakers. Normally I wouldn’t make a big deal of it, and that aspect didn’t bother me in Michael’s portrayal, but the other mental patient at the hospital was so clearly different in size and general look.
Yeah but we the audience have the benefit of the knowledge that it's a different character. Nobody else in the film does. None of them have seen Michael Myers before and the one guy who has is intoxicated.

It just would have made more sense.
Why?
Old 10-19-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why?
It would have been more believable to mistake a guy that looked more like Michael, and as I mentioned in my post they could have accomplished the same goal you talk about.

Like I say putting an actor who looks absolutely nothing like James Jude Courtney’s version of Michael and having people mistake him is just kind of silly.
Old 10-19-21, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Michael Myers was in the news, though. Hell, he was unmasked in the 2018 version. There's been 40+ years of him. In fact, we the audience don't get to see him throughout the 40+ year timeline, but I find it hard to believe that the townspeople or even the fucking USA hasn't seen him. Hell, you had British podcasters coming over from England to see him in Haddonfield.

The whole townspeople doesn't know what he looks like is horseshit and just a bad plot point.
Old 10-19-21, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would have been more believable to mistake a guy that looked more like Michael, and as I mentioned in my post they could have accomplished the same goal you talk about.

Like I say putting an actor who looks absolutely nothing like James Jude Courtney’s version of Michael and having people mistake him is just kind of silly.
It's only silly if any of them are supposed to recognize him, but that's not the case. They know Michael Myers is an escaped inmate, and they find an escaped inmate, so they think it's the escaped inmate. This is a group of people who are making poor decisions out of fear, and mob mentality, and I don't understand what it accomplishes to make the mistaken identity victim look more like Michael, except to make their decision making seem less poor. It undermines that theme in my opinion. My question would be: at what point is it acceptable to join a mob of people and murder a man you've never met? Is it really better if he looks like the bad guy?
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveyJoe:
EdTheRipper (10-20-21), story (10-19-21)
Old 10-19-21, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Michael Myers was in the news, though.
Why would he be in the news? None of his crimes were recent.
Old 10-19-21, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know the last couple years have been wild, but I must have missed all the well-informed vigilante mobs out there.
Old 10-19-21, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why would he be in the news? None of his crimes were recent.

He escaped. A serial killer escaped during the bus crash. He killed a bunch more people on his way to Haddonfeld.
Old 10-19-21, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
He escaped. A serial killer escaped during the bus crash. He killed a bunch more people on his way to Haddonfeld.
Ah I thought you meant in the years leading up to this movie.

The news report didn't say it was Michael, the bar patrons made that assumption on their own. The report did show a picture of both Michael and Tivoli without indicating which was which, however.
Old 10-20-21, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

Haven't read through the comments yet but this movie was bad. Like Zombie Halloween bad. As reference, I mostly enjoyed 2018 with a couple of story exceptions. This one was a steaming pile of garbage from beginning to end.

The only redeeming quality was when the guy told Laurie it wasn't and never was about her. Finally pointing out that her being bat shit crazy for the past 30 years was completely unfounded and silly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noonan:
IBJoel (10-26-21), lopper (10-21-21)
Old 10-20-21, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
There was a certain level of distastefulness in this move that I totally did not like.
I'd agree with this. I've always preferred the original Halloween film over the other slashers of the time, just because it was more about atmosphere vs kills. Halloween (2018) mostly held to that with one major exception, which I felt nearly ruined the entire film. Unfortunately this film was a lot more of that. (I really loved the flashbacks, thought they were so well done) But unless this third film is a masterpiece, I think my Halloween films will remain a double feature of the original and the 2018 follow up.
Old 10-20-21, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I’ve only seen ‘78, ‘18, and this, over the last three nights. Definitely prefer Michael’s distant vibe or the stalking, rather than John Wick mode. Even the ‘78 flashback where Michael charged at the cop was jarring.

Bringing back people from ‘78 just to get their asses handed to them (except Lindsey who hopefully gets to do more next movie) was a bit strange, especially for the sheriff. They could have thrown in the other two kids who bullied Tommy while they’re at it

Great to see Loomis return in flashbacks. I’d like to think Laurie has respect for him, given that they both understand the need to take Michael down, over the incompetence of 90% of the other people Laurie has come across.

Looking forward to seeing the older sequels.
Old 10-21-21, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Haven't read through the comments yet but this movie was bad. Like Zombie Halloween bad. As reference, I mostly enjoyed 2018 with a couple of story exceptions. This one was a steaming pile of garbage from beginning to end.
Just about sums up my thoughts on this one. Hugely disappointing.

Old 10-26-21, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Received 1,066 Likes on 620 Posts

I just watched this yesterday. I thought it had a lot of interesting ideas, but the dialogue was horrendous. I liked it better than 5, but it feels like it will have the least re-watchability. I would rank it my 6th or 7th favorite. Agreed that it felt reminiscent of the Zombie H1.
Old 10-27-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts

I thought this movie ranked around the Resurrection/Curse Of MM bad. Like so bad it was funny.

I found myself rolling my eyes at a ton of the dialogue and some of the actions made by the characters (as stated above) didn't always make sense. MM is a killing machine and there is some decent gore and kills in this but it is also filled with a lot of standard stuff and the usual MM random teleportation and hiding in closets.

This was a really stupid film but if you are a fan of the Halloween franchise, this is nothing new and what you enjoy about it. If you like movies like Jason X and Freddy's Dead, you will still enjoy this one. I honestly sat there wondering if the writers wrote it to be as silly and stupid as it is as a play on so many of the past movies in the series. But I doubt they were that smart.

I watched Halloween (2018) yesterday and it doesn't hold up very well either.

My rating:
As a slasher film - *1/2 out of *****
As dumb fun - **1/2 out of *****

ps. Why didn't the boyfriend change out of his dress? I just thought it was funny that they went to his house, he got a sweatshirt but still kept the skirt on the whole time.
Old 10-28-21, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted 2 stars. This movie sucked. The only thing I really enjoyed was seeing the Halloween 3 masks return.
Old 10-28-21, 07:47 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Old 10-28-21, 06:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Too much gore, not enough Jamie, bringing legacy characters back just to have them make idiotic decisions and be killed, fast Michael, hilariously bad ending. 2/10 since I’m in a good mood.
Old 10-28-21, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I think the most interesting thing about this movie is that it's the first movie or TV show I've seen that references the covid pandemic
Old 10-28-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I think the most interesting thing about this movie is that it's the first movie or TV show I've seen that references the covid pandemic
It takes place in 2018 before the pandemic. The next one is supposed to be four years later during the pandemic.
IBJoel (10-29-21)
Old 10-30-21, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I had never seen a Halloween movie. Halloween 1978 was HORRIBLE, I hated it. Does nobody use lights in that town? I was rooting for Michael to kill her, and she's one of my favorite actresses. I was like 40 minutes and no one's dead, this is boring.

Halloween 2018 was such a fun romp, watched it in one sitting and that's uncommon for me (The Happening being the other recent movie I saw in one sitting, loved it, as opposed to everyone else it seems). More kills, more actions, was totally satisfied. Also liked Halloween Kills, about as much as 2018. I view 2018 and HK as one long movie which I thoroughly enjoyed. I may go back and watch the other ones. But overall it was a worthwhile trilogy. Can't wait for Halloween Ends, although I hope they keep making Halloween movies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.