Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Has the quality of movies, recently and near future, gone down since pandemic?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Has the quality of movies gone down since pandemic?
Yes, a lot.
30.00%
No, not at all.
10.00%
Yes, a little, not a lot.
5.00%
No, not really, but... (please explain...)
15.00%
Other (please explain...)
0%
What are you high?
40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-21, 08:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

As i was coming home from work, i thought to myself that movies haven't been the same for obvious reasons, but still they are making them and perhaps because some straight to streaming service or on-demand, day 1 of theater or slight delay is tampering with numbers, in the grand scheme of things there has been no movie so far or upcoming that i am like clamoring to see.

Sure, i want to see Bond and Matrix and Dune, etc..., but i don’t have that yearn i once did bc of what's been churned out so far, i think. other reasons factor in too, i am sure, but the quality seems to have dipped greatly imo to the point, i'm like ok, if i don't see now, i'll see soon enough streaming. nothing cries out like it once did,

and yes, there have been blockbusters, a few anyway, but i still think quality overall is just not as it once was.

what do you think?

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-06-21 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-06-21, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Has the quality of movies, recently and near future, gone down since pandemic?

No.
Old 10-06-21, 09:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Has the quality of movies, recently and near future, gone down since pandemic?

Eh.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-15-21)
Old 10-06-21, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Yes, but Iím not sure the pandemic is entirely to blame. I think there has just been a lot of shit movies.

Iíve seen a handful of movies that were obviously effected by the pandemic that were very minimally filmed in one or two locations with only a couple actors (Locked Down, Malcolm & Marie). But those movies that appear to be a direct result of the pandemic seem few and far between.
Old 10-06-21, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Has the quality of movies in the near future gone down since the pandemic? WTF kind of question is that?
The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
DJariya (10-06-21), John Pannozzi (10-15-21), Kurt D (10-06-21)
Old 10-06-21, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Has the quality of movies in the near future gone down since the pandemic? WTF kind of question is that?
Yes, it was will be.
John Pannozzi (10-15-21)
Old 10-07-21, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

"And remember, my friend, future movies such as these will affect you in the future"
The following 2 users liked this post by Jaymole:
John Pannozzi (10-15-21), story (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i donít have that yearn i once did
Maybe it's just you and not the movies. Things change as you get old. You like the exact same foods you did as a child?
Old 10-07-21, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Just a hunk, a hunk of yearnin' churn.
Old 10-07-21, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

"I AM big. It's the *pictures* that got small."

The following 2 users liked this post by Ash Ketchum:
IBJoel (10-07-21), leacha (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

This is a tough one. I don't think movie have necessarily gotten worse, I just think the form of media needs to evolve - into what I have absolutely no idea but the current format of movies in general is just stale and starting to become easily skippable (to an extent).

They tried to go the interactive route (i.e. Bandersnatch) but that was just tedious.

If I had to guess, I'd say more immersion is the next step - maybe something virtual are some other way to project the movie around you.

We've been watching movies the same way for years and years and with the amount of shit coming out of streaming services, it hasn't helped.

John Pannozzi (10-15-21)
Old 10-07-21, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

I think that a number of projects that would not have seen the light of day made it out due to lack of production when things were shut down. COVID has also changed how people are set on stage and sometimes it's very apparent. It also hurt movies that may have re-shot if the option was there so in my opinion quality control went down somewhat as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpcamb:
IBJoel (10-07-21), John Pannozzi (10-15-21)
Old 10-07-21, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

It does feel that way a bit, but I think itís just coincidental. There have been some movies Iíve enjoyed, but definitely less.

Granted last year not many really released. This year has been better, but I havenít seen a movie thatís really wowed me.

I will say that there are less movies that draw me into wanting to go to the theater, and ones Iím on the fence about itís much easier to say that Iíll stream them or blind buy them on Blu-ray or 4K.

John Pannozzi (10-15-21)
Old 10-07-21, 09:42 AM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

In spite of this being an oldboy initiated thread, I would have to agree with the premise but for very different reasons.

I find it more entertaining to read (or watch) the initial spoiler-free previews + reviews, and guess what tropes and flow of the storyline is. By the time the spoiler filled reviews show up online, it gives a good idea how many of the guesses line up.

It takes a lot of the anticipation out like a lead balloon, when something becomes too easily predictable. Especially when reading websites like tvtropes.org is more entertaining, than watching the actual movies (or reading the actual books).
Old 10-07-21, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

I think jpcamb has a good point, as well as a few factors outside of that.

The gap between "blockbuster" and "prestige" has been widening for a while now, a few directors like Nolan and Villeneuve notwithstanding. There also aren't a lot of midrange budget films made anymore, so directors that flourished there either had to move to TV or retire or get forced into budget scales beyond their comfort zone with more studio influence.

There also might be a depressive effect from the pandemic (and other current events) on audiences' perception of media, causing you or I or anyone else to just not be very excited about stuff we see. Older movies becoming "comfort food" can further reinforce the idea that new movies aren't good.

Last edited by IBJoel; 10-07-21 at 10:20 AM.
John Pannozzi (10-15-21)
Old 10-07-21, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I just came back from the near future, and everything was fine. The movies were great.
The following 4 users liked this post by clckworang:
davidh777 (10-07-21), Decker (10-07-21), IBJoel (10-07-21), Kurt D (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

What?

Another baffling and incoherent Old Boy thread
Old 10-07-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I know we like to give Oldboy shit, but Iím pretty sure all he means by near future is upcoming films that heís not as excited about. Itís not that baffling to me. Maybe weirdly worded, but I get what he means.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
morriscroy (10-07-21), OldBoy (10-08-21)
Old 10-07-21, 12:21 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

(More generally).

Even though many of oldboy's threads/assertions may sound like adhd riddled brain farts of a high functioning autistic/asperger mind, I do appreciate that they are being asked/discussed in the first place.
Especially when such brain farts inadvertently points out a big elephant in the room, whether real or imagined.
Old 10-07-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

They remaking Dumbo Drop or something?
John Pannozzi (10-15-21)
Old 10-07-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Entertainment in general has been down since Covid first hit. The production pipeline was severely affected and studios became reticent at spending money during a global lockdown with few theaters open. The effects will be felt for a couple years at a very minimum.

In an earlier era you might have seen "smaller" flicks fill the gap but those aren't real moneymakers in Hollywood anymore, so there's little investment for them in the first place.

There's also a serious argument to be made that topline talent has been spread too thin across the industry - the rise of streaming has too many producers chasing the same small pool of actual creative talent in Hollywood. It should actually get better once some of these streaming venues collapse and we are left with the few winners. Many are still coasting on VC money without actually making a profit.
John Pannozzi (10-15-21)
Old 10-07-21, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

You do realize that the vast majority of the movies that have come out during the pandemic were filmed months to even a year or two before the pandemic? Trying to tie in the pandemic to your personal taste in movies is totally illogical.
John Pannozzi (10-15-21)
Old 10-07-21, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
(More generally).

Even though many of oldboy's threads/assertions may sound like adhd riddled brain farts of a high functioning autistic/asperger mind, I do appreciate that they are being asked/discussed in the first place.
Especially when such brain farts inadvertently points out a big elephant in the room, whether real or imagined.
morriscroy (10-09-21)
Old 10-07-21, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 10-07-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

^ This might be the first Old Boy poll where "What are you, high?" wins going away

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.