Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nationwide Film and TV strike looming from Film and TV production crews

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

This would shut down all films and TV shows currently in production

IATSE is the union for these crews voting to authorize the strike.

The members of the International Association of Theatrical Stage Employees has voted to approve a strike authorization, giving the union president the power to shut down film and TV production across the country.

The vote passed with 98 percent support, and 90 percent turnout.

The vote comes after talks stalled between the union and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents the studios. The unions have been negotiating since May on a new contract, and are seeking to address long-standing concerns, including long hours on set, streaming wage scales and residuals, and the stability of the pension and health funds.

Matthew D. Loeb, the international president, now has the authority to send 60,000 below-the-line workers to the picket lines. But first, the union is expected to seek further talks with the AMPTP. The union believes that the authorization adds to its leverage in the negotiations. The timing of those further discussions remains unclear.

The strike threat comes as Hollywood has never been busier, especially on the TV side. Soundstages are at or near full capacity, and productions have had difficulty finding enough workers to keep shooting. That has led to exhaustion and burnout, but the high demand has also emboldened union members.

“I don’t think there’s been a better time,” said John Lindley, president of the International Cinematographers Guild. “I’ve never seen the kind of unity before that we have right now.”

Union members have talked about fatigue from long production hours for decades. In previous negotiations, the studios have agreed to pay for hotel rooms for workers who don’t think they can drive home safely. This time, the unions are seeking a 10-hour turnaround between shifts for all workers, as well as a 54-hour turnaround on weekends. They are also seeking increased meal penalties, as a way to force productions to stop for lunch.

The vote comes a year after production restarted around the globe under new COVID safety protocols. Many members say the pandemic shutdown forced a reconsideration of the grueling schedules faced by film and TV crews.

“Many of our members were working from home during the pandemic,” said Cathy Repola, executive director of the Motion Picture Editors Guild. “They got to have dinner with their family and friends, not miss out on so many personal events because they weren’t having to commute on top of their long work hours. Now the notion of returning to a work site has that contrast really in their face now… it ramps things up to this insanity again where there is no true balance between work life and personal life.”

The studios have pushed for wider use of “French hours,” in which workers can get a shorter workday in exchange for giving up meal penalties and breaks. The union has dismissed that idea, saying the days would not be shorter for many workers.

Few members are eager to go on strike, however.

“No one’s gung-ho about a strike,” said Joe Martinez, a member of IATSE Local 44. “We’re more interested in having certain things become fair.”

A nationwide strike would be the first in the 128-year history of the union.

If you don't know or understand what's going on or what's at stake, this article explains it:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/i...er-1235076384/

The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (10-04-21)
Old 10-04-21, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Nationwide Film and TV strike looming from Film and TV production crews

98.6% are voting to authorize a strike. It doesn't mean a strike is official.

A good friend of mine's husband is in IATSE and he's voting for the strike. He's sick and tired of the poor working conditions, long hours and such. He said that the streamers are problematic because they are trying to get away with making more for less. Paying less and working with lesser crews who have to work longer hours.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
IBJoel (10-04-21), John Pannozzi (10-05-21)
Old 10-04-21, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Good for them. The insane working conditions are not necessary and unsustainable.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
IBJoel (10-04-21), Rocketsfan (10-05-21)
Old 10-05-21, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

I remember the writers strike in 1988.. All I remember is that I worked for Studio Facilities so I had to be there whether anything was filming or not and we had all of WB studios to ourselves with nothing to do. I think it went on for about 5 months. I thought it was funny how the studio continued their daily routines even with nothing filming.. Printing out empty call sheets and keeping all the facilities stuff open with nobody to use them.
Old 10-05-21, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk God

The writer's strike of 2007 crippled network television and it's barely recovered from it. So many "good" shows died from poor ratings after returning from the extended hiatus. But back then it was the AMPTP being assholes and not giving the writer's their fair share of revenue.

This one the crews currently working on TV and movies are working under unsustainable conditions and more hours without fair compensation. I'm siding 100% with IATSE on this one. Studios and producers always want to make more with less. That mentality to save money and look good to the studio accountants and share holders is hopefully going to bite them in the ass.
John Pannozzi (10-05-21)
Old 10-05-21, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Who are they striking against? Who is at the other end of the table here?
Old 10-05-21, 08:59 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Who are they striking against? Who is at the other end of the table here?
“Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents the studios.”
Old 10-06-21, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

Good, gives me time to catch up on shows and movies I'm behind on
Old 10-06-21, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

On many network dramas like Grey's Anatomy, the actors on are set for 14-16 hours a day for ten months out of the year. The crew is there even longer. I'm in full support of better hours and working conditions for the crew.
IBJoel (10-15-21)
Old 10-13-21, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/10/hollywo...rs-1234855030/

IATSE will strike on Monday unless a deal can be reached very soon.

Again, this means that every movie and TV show currently in production will immediately shut down.
Old 10-14-21, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

If everybody walks with no scabs taking over (ie. replacement workers) on monday, wonder which tv shows will die on the vine this time.

I'm thinking of something like Las Vegas and the original 4400 back in the 2007/8, which were canned and ended unresolved purportedly due to the writer's strike.

https://www.reuters.com/article/tele...64292420071220
https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/m...ses-its-doors/

Last edited by morriscroy; 10-14-21 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-14-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

With streaming, almost anything could be vulnerable. Any marginal series or any top-tier series that underperformed in its last season could bet the ax.

I'd tend to worry about things like The Handmaid's Tale (buzz show that lost its luster) or Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy (cult favorites).
Old 10-14-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
If everybody walks with no scabs taking over (ie. replacement workers) on monday, wonder which tv shows will die on the vine this time.
Zero chance that acting talent would work with scab labor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
DJariya (10-14-21), morriscroy (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 03:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Thread says "Nationwide" but the "I" in the union acronym stands for "International" so... dumb question... would this also shut down productions across the border, like Canada, and overseas? Or is this particular strike USA only? Sorry, I didn't read too deeply into this yet.. just curious.
Old 10-14-21, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
With streaming, almost anything could be vulnerable. Any marginal series or any top-tier series that underperformed in its last season could bet the ax.

I'd tend to worry about things like The Handmaid's Tale (buzz show that lost its luster) or Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy (cult favorites).
For that matter, it could happen to something like the original NCIS. This week's episode featured a main character (played by Mark Harmon) leaving after 18 seasons, with a remaining revolving door cast without much of a lead/anchor.
Old 10-14-21, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

IATSE does represent crews in Canada as well. So basically all the CW shows would shut down production if this strike happens.

I don't know about Europe and Australia. But I believe all productions that originated from North American are IATSE. The crews need to be protected by the unions. I have seen movies filmed overseas that have the IATSE logo at the end credits, so I guess they fly in some union repped crews.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-14-21 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-14-21, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Is there any chance we can one day get the final season of Better Call Saul. Any at all?
Old 10-14-21, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Is there any chance we can one day get the final season of Better Call Saul. Any at all?
Spoiler:
They're on episode 10 of 13. So the answer is, yes. As to a time frame on when it'll air on AMC... dunno. Bob went down during episode 8 and they are limiting his work hours since coming back.
John Pannozzi (10-15-21)
Old 10-14-21, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Does this only affect scripted stuff? What about stuff like game shows, daily talk shows, news programming, etc.? I was worried that the strike might happen before the Big Brother season finished but I'm not clear if they would have been affected by it or not anyway.
Old 10-14-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by windom
Does this only affect scripted stuff? What about stuff like game shows, daily talk shows, news programming, etc.? I was worried that the strike might happen before the Big Brother season finished but I'm not clear if they would have been affected by it or not anyway.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ke-1235022019/

Sounds like reality shows, game shows and talk shows would also be affected. I heard news is not affected because they have a different agreement.
Old 10-16-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/10/hollywo...aa5dee56334940

Strike averted. Deal reached.
Old 10-16-21, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Glad to hear that they reached a deal. Meal breaks and 10 hour turnarounds should be expected in an industry/job. I was reading that some production assistants and drivers were working 15-17 hour days and not even getting to eat or go to the bathroom. That’s completely unacceptable,
The following 2 users liked this post by lwhy?:
DJariya (10-16-21), story (10-19-21)
Old 10-16-21, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So if they don't have to work all those long hours now, does that mean it will take longer to make shows and movies?
Old 10-16-21, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by windom
So if they don't have to work all those long hours now, does that mean it will take longer to make shows and movies?
It will probably add some extra days to movies and TV filming schedules. But you know what, no one is going to cry that the studios actually have to spend money to keep their workers happy and be able to work in a safe environment. Like any business workers are entitled to their breaks, lunches and fair compensation. You can't work these crews to death and shit on their morale because you want to save some pennies.
Old 10-19-21, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Some folks I know who are very connected with all of this says a strike still may happen. Right now they put the odds at about 50/50.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.