Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021, D: Serkis) -- S: Hardy, Harrelson -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Venom: Let There Be Carnage?
5 stars
0%
4 3/4 stars
0%
4 1/2 stars
0%
4 stars
4.17%
3 3/4 stars
4.17%
3 1/2 stars
20.83%
3 stars
25.00%
2 3/4 stars
8.33%
2 1/2 stars
8.33%
2 stars
4.17%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
4.17%
1 star
12.50%
0 stars
0%
Don't care. No interest
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021, D: Serkis) -- S: Hardy, Harrelson -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Tom Hardy returns to the big screen as the lethal protector Venom, one of MARVEL’s greatest and most complex characters. Directed by Andy Serkis, the film also stars Michelle Williams, Naomie Harris and Woody Harrelson, in the role of the villain Cletus Kasady/Carnage.

Running Time: 97 minutes

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 67% as of 9/30/21

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ven...ere_be_carnage

Trailer:

Showings for this start this afternoon. Seeing it today at 4pm

There is a post credit scene reportedly, but I did not look up any information about it. Please don't post spoilers about the post credit scene until at least after it starts playing later today.

Old 09-30-21, 05:24 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts
Re: Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021, D: Serkis) -- S: Hardy, Harrelson -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

It's a better overall film than the first one, but that isn't saying much. The style of these just feels so antiquated. Based on the trailers... Morbius will be the same way. Some will like it... but I just was am not into the early 2000s way of these.

It says a lot when the best part of your movie is the mid-credit scene. As for that... that has big implications. I was curious how they'd do it. I guess basically... the Venom movies just take place in Sony's Spider-Man Universe (SSU)... and due to ongoing multiverse events in the MCU... he's pulled in. It also gives Sony to be able to do whatever they want now with their properties now that the multiverse will be introduced.

Old 09-30-21, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021, D: Serkis) -- S: Hardy, Harrelson -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I just got back from seeing it. For me it’s slightly better than the first movie. The special effects are good and I enjoyed the banter between Venom and Eddie.

The big fault for me was Woody Harrelson. He was so over the top and hammy playing Cletus. I just couldn’t take him seriously as some kind of deviant serial killer. Some of his dialogue was pretty cringy.

The mid credits scene was pretty cool. The audience I was with went wild with the reveal.
Old 09-30-21, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Better than the first, but still a stupid but fun time. 90 minutes that doesn't let up at all. I do wish Venom would have danced at the rave

"Fuck this guy!" and Spidey were the big reactions at my screening.
Old 10-01-21, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (PG-13) - This crazy sequel features Woody at his creepiest, ramps up the funnier aspects of the Eddie/Venom relationship, and is just an icky but fun time overall. You have been warned!

After rewatching the original Venom a week or so ago, I was struck by just how much care was put into developing a reasonably acceptable premise of two losers, an alien symbiote inhabiting a down-on-his-luck investigative reporter, developing a mutually beneficial and begrudgingly respectful relationship with each other. Tom Hardy pulls off the idea of a man inhabited by a polar opposite creature, and who establishes ground rules and boundaries for Venom, the mostly dark-hued-with-white-highlights slimy tentacled alien, who realizes its best interest lies with getting along with Eddie. Number one rule: no human brains for dinner.

As this Andy Serkis-directed sequel opens, we are thrust into 1996, where dangerous and apparently imprisoned teenagers-in-love Cletus and Francis (played later in the film by Woody Harrelson and Naomie Harris) are torn away from each other. We already know that Cletus is destined to be a serial killer (an animated vignette illustrates his first kills as a child), but we find out that Francis is actually, dare I say it, a mutant with the ability to destroy with her shrieks. An incident with a young policeman basically seals her fate, and as we later find out, the young policemen’s destiny, as well.

As we move to the present, Francis (now known as Shriek) is being held in a sound-dampening cell in a mental institution where, despite her imprisonment, her very presence and demeanor strikes terror into those who are holding her in check. We later learn just how deeply Cletus loves this dangerous woman, and the lengths he will go to be with her.

In the meantime, we join odd couple Eddie and Venom in their relatively humdrum but still pretty messy and shabby domestic relationship. Eddie basically allows Venom to feed only on chickens and chocolate, though the alien symbiote would just love to cut loose on some, well, human brains. Also, we learn that Venom has not forgiven Eddie for losing Ann (Michelle Williams) who’s now with Dan, and that the symbiote actually has a major Ann-crush going on. Also, I had to laugh at the fact that Mrs. Chen, the Asian shop owner, feels fondly for Venom after the events of the first film.

Things really start to cook when Cletus, now in prison, offers Eddie the chance at an interview. Eddie and Venom figure out where Cletus has hidden the bodies, so to speak, and as Cletus is being prepped for his execution, a final interview with Eddie results in Cletus being infected and Carnage inhabiting Cletus, with more murderous and messy results than Eddie and Venom’s first adventure. I’ll just stop right there, you know by now whether or not you’re going to see this PG-13 tentacle-fest.

After the surprisingly enjoyable Venom of 2018, I really did not know how well a sequel that featured a serial killer being inhabited by a violent symbiote would come off. However, given that Woody really leans into his character as Cletus, Naomie as his extremely scary and effective fem fatale/love interest Shriek, and the absolutely funny and adorable relationship between Eddie and Venom, plus Venom’s crush on Ann, I was pulled in and laughing/cringing all the way through this movie. I couldn’t have asked for more. I am giving Venom 3.5 out of 5 lightsabers and I hope we will be seeing more of Venom and Eddie as the Lethal Enforcers (oops, minor spoiler!) in the future.

NOTES TO PARENTS (MILD SPOILERS): Like the original film, “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” is rated PG-13 for continuous icky-ish comic book action violence, thematic material, and brief strong language. The “F” bomb is used once (possibly twice), sh** is used a few times along with other profanities, and “pu**y” is used a couple of times, as well as “d**k”, both spoken and seen as Venom takes over typing on a computer. No sexual content, though the relationships between the symbiote-guys and their sweethearts are presented as motivations in the plot. Like in the first. Venom in his full form can be rather scary-looking, although Carnage actually manages to one-up him in that department. Carnage rampages through a prison and is directly and indirectly responsible for a multitude of deaths. Yes, heads are non-graphically bitten off. The final battle in a cathedral is extremely intense.

MID AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There is one mid-credit scene that firmly sets the world of Eddie and Venom in a very familiar Spider-inhabited universe. Looking forward to where this might be going.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES www.orbiwanblogs.me/moviereviews.

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 10-02-21, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

They're both okay, but not worth going back to a theater if that's your only option for viewing them(Saints is on HBOMax).

Caught this today and my thoughts are that this was good but could have been great if they had just gone with an R rating. I have a feeling this was written and possibly shot with that in mind and then they made the decision to go PG-13 for maximum ticket sales (can't blame them given the circumstances). Definitely better than the first one, but still seemed lacking. However, I do like the fact that
Venom is now in the MCU or Spider-verse
Old 10-02-21, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
They're both okay, but not worth going back to a theater if that's your only option for viewing them(Saints is on HBOMax).

Caught this today and my thoughts are that this was good but could have been great if they had just gone with an R rating. I have a feeling this was written and possibly shot with that in mind and then they made the decision to go PG-13 for maximum ticket sales (can't blame them given the circumstances). Definitely better than the first one, but still seemed lacking. However, I do like the fact that
Venom is now in the MCU or Spider-verse
An R rating isnt going to fix the movie and make it instantly better. I hate how Sony took a great villain and made him their own Deadpool.
Old 10-02-21, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zero
An R rating isnt going to fix the movie and make it instantly better. I hate how Sony took a great villain and made him their own Deadpool.

I kind of disagree. I felt this movie had some really good horror elements to it, and they could have capitalized and had something that appealed to fans of both horror and action/comics, kind of like the Blade movies. It's fair to guess that anyone who wanted an R didn't want it because it would enhance the story, they wanted to see some gore befitting a story about a hero that bites off heads against a guy who was a serial killer with super powers.
Old 10-02-21, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I kind of disagree. I felt this movie had some really good horror elements to it, and they could have capitalized and had something that appealed to fans of both horror and action/comics, kind of like the Blade movies. It's fair to guess that anyone who wanted an R didn't want it because it would enhance the story, they wanted to see some gore befitting a story about a hero that bites off heads against a guy who was a serial killer with super powers.
The difference being that Blade (the first one at least) respected the lore of the character and the R rating worked for that character. Venom deserved better than being Sony's "The Odd Couple." Instead of being a competent movie it's just a bunch of random scenes thrown together and a dumb joke to end the scene. I seem to recall people crying all over the internet that Spider-Man 3 "got Venom all wrong" by comparison to what we got now, the internet owes Raimi an apology.
Old 10-03-21, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/10/venom-l...ce-1234847950/

$90.1M opening weekend. Highest opening weekend of the pandemic era.
Old 10-03-21, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ This bodes well for future releases. People are obviously ready to come back to theaters.
Old 10-09-21, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this earlier today with a friend.

As others have mentioned, thought this was slightly better than the first film. Really enjoyed all the interactions between Eddie & Venom as well as finally seeing Carnage on-screen.

I thought Shriek was wasted here and Naomie Harris' depiction of her felt uninspired & flat. I also didn't care for Woody Harrelson as Cletus Kasady.

Hope that
Spoiler:
Detective Mulligan becomes Toxin in a future film. His eyes glowing a different color might have been a sign of that?

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-09-21 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-14-21, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I liked the first film -- it was actually consistent, but this shit was a mess. Shriek was atrocious and they made Carnage a one-note villain, as opposed to being one of Venom's most dangerous adversaries. The effects also seemed to be worse than the first film. The first film was actually charming, but this one was all over the place.

I redboxed the BD, so no way I'm buyng this on 4K disc down the road now.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-17-21 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-16-21, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

I finally got around to this the other day, wanted to see it before Spiderman NWH came out. It was...meh. Boring in parts. Felt like an old school comic book film and not in an interesting way. Some cute moments, but nothing that caught my attention.
Old 12-29-21, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Passably entertaining sequel that is better than the original though I found that one utterly bland. This one still has the issue of me checking out once you have a CGI character fighting another CGI character. However, the interaction between Brock and Venom was great and the effects work wasn't bad, though most of the time scenes were dimly lit. ***¼/*****
The following users liked this post:
Shannon Nutt (12-30-21)
Old 12-30-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I liked this better than the first one, but once again (like the first movie) we have an interesting first hour or so, followed by extended CGI fights that put me to sleep.
Old 02-27-22, 06:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had the UHD disc since Christmas but I didn't bother rewatching it until today, wasn't too crazy about it in theaters. This is such a bizarre movie, it feels like a hodgepodge of action and comedy with barely any plot. Actually reminds me of Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard a bit (I slightly prefer that movie). This is passable entertainment, but a sizable step down from the first one for me, which I never got the hate for.