Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Small Engine Repair (2021, D: Pollono) S: Bernthal, Whigham, Spiro, Pollono, Bravo

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Small Engine Repair (2021, D: Pollono) S: Bernthal, Whigham, Spiro, Pollono, Bravo

Old 09-08-21, 06:03 AM

Received 4,549 Likes on 3,086 Posts

Frank (John Pollono), Swaino (Jon Bernthal) and Packie (Shea Whigham) are lifelong friends who share a love of the Red Sox, rowdy bars and Frank’s teenaged daughter Crystal (Ciara Bravo). But when Frank invites his pals to a whiskey-fueled evening and asks them to do a favor on behalf of the brash young woman they all adore, events spin wildly out of control. Based on Pollono’s award-winning play, Small Engine Repair is a pitch-black comedic drama with a wicked twist, and a powerful exploration of brotherhood, class struggle and toxic masculinity.

Directed by John Pollono
Starring: Jon Bernthal, Shea Whigham, Jordana Spiro, John Pollono

Theatrical Release Date: 9/10/21
I saw a trailer for this the other day. I hadn't heard anything about it, but it is getting a small release this weekend.

Some reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sma...ne_repair_2021
Old 12-31-21, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Small Engine Repair (2021, D: Pollono) S: Bernthal, Whigham, Spiro, Pollono, Bravo

This was something else. Surprised nobody else has seen it.

This movie kicks so much ass. It gets a bit unbelievable at times, but go with it.

hardcore dark comedy/drama. Not for kids. Lol.

I would have to consider this for my Top 10 of the year.
Old 12-31-21, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Small Engine Repair (2021, D: Pollono) S: Bernthal, Whigham, Spiro, Pollono, Bravo

I actually watched it yesterday and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Most of the movie is just three childhood friends drinking, talking shit and fighting, which is entertaining, but doesn't go anywhere and the third act takes an unexpected turn.
Old 12-31-21, 03:20 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

It's on sale at Vudu right now for $4.99.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...Repair/1854953
Old 12-31-21, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,018 Likes on 809 Posts

Saw this a while ago but yeah this was decent, though their solution was a bit of a mouthful. Plus I'll always approve of Sturgill Simpson as a credit sequence song choice.
Old 12-31-21, 03:51 PM

I saw it when it was in theatres (surprised it actually got a theatrical release) and enjoyed it. The mentioned $4.99 price is decent to own… it’s also a $.99 rental on Amazon and Apple.

Originally Posted by Runaway
I actually watched it yesterday and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Most of the movie is just three childhood friends drinking, talking shit and fighting, which is entertaining, but doesn't go anywhere and the third act takes an unexpected turn.
It is based on a play, so I guess that is the reasoning for the structure.
Old 02-08-22, 08:27 AM

This is now up on Hulu.