Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

C知on C知on (2021, W/D: Mike Mills) S: Joaquin Phoenix, Gaby Hoffmann, Woody Norman

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

C知on C知on (2021, W/D: Mike Mills) S: Joaquin Phoenix, Gaby Hoffmann, Woody Norman

Old 09-03-21, 06:45 PM

Received 4,547 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Johnny (Joaquin Phoenix) and his young nephew (Woody Norman) forge a tenuous but transformational relationship when they are unexpectedly thrown together in this delicate and deeply moving story about the connections between adults and children, the past and the future, from writer-director Mike Mills.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10986222/

Reviews from Telluride: https://www.metacritic.com/movie/cmon-cmon
Old 09-05-21, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: C知on C知on (2021, W/D: Mike Mills) S: Joaquin Phoenix, Gaby Hoffmann, Woody Norman

Please please me , oh ya!
Old 09-08-21, 08:42 AM

Re: C知on C知on (2021, W/D: Mike Mills) S: Joaquin Phoenix, Gaby Hoffmann, Woody Norman

Spoiler:

Old 11-09-21, 09:34 AM

Old 12-02-21, 05:47 PM

This looks to be expanding to more theatres this weekend.
Old 12-02-21, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 711 Likes on 582 Posts

I wish it was on Netflix streaming
Old 12-07-21, 12:06 PM

Good performances and a very sweet movie. Joaquin could get another nomination for this, but I think that is a little bit of a stretch.
Old 12-08-21, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 970 Likes on 683 Posts

This was really good and was able to convey the experience of being a parent in a way that I hadn't quite seen before in a movie. There were many moments that rang so completely true to my experience with my own children, particularly my 7 year-old son, who's similar to Jesse (the boy in the movie) in a lot of ways. It's not particularly plot driven and I thought it started to drag a bit by the end (probably didn't need to run more than 90 minutes), but the performances are so great. It's fun to see Phoenix play something other than a deranged lunatic. He's wonderful here and I wouldn't be surprised if he was nominated by the Academy, although I admit I'm not really up on who the competition would be or what the forecasts say. Woody Norman as the kid is also a real find. It's always hard to know how much the kid is acting or if he's just being himself, but either way he has a great presence onscreen.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (04-11-22)
Old 12-18-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Already gonna be on VOD this coming Thursday, December 23. Hell yeah!!!
The following users liked this post:
JayTL (12-21-21)
Old 12-21-21, 01:37 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Already gonna be on VOD this coming Thursday, December 23. Hell yeah!!!
We eating this week!
Old 12-21-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JayTL
We eating this week!
A24 is actually screening it tonight at 9 eastern. Something called Screening Room they do for like 20 bucks online.

Old 02-03-22, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Watched this last night. While it was had wonderful performances from all the leads, I was a tad disappointed overall. Seemed a bit too pretentious to me. First, why shoot in b&w? Didn't add anything to me. The quoting from various essays and poems didn't help either. And it also feels like the movie was assembled in the editing room; was that a stylistic choice of the director, or did he just not get enough good complete takes?

2.5 stars out of 4.

(Disclaimer: I don't have any children, so maybe it didn't hit me as emotionally as it might some parents.)
Old 02-03-22, 07:30 AM

Pretentious by his own (joking) admission.
Mike Mills likes to joke that he’s pretentious, and that’s why he loves black and white movies. But there’s a deeper reason why he knew he had to shoot C’mon C’mon, his new drama starring Woody Norman and Joaquin Phoenix, sans color.

“I say that as a joke — a little bit like, I’m pretentious and I love black and white movies. And it’s also very true. So many of my favorite movies are black and white. I think it’s beautiful, so of course, I want to do it. But the reason I felt like I got to do it — or, like, A24 agreed with me and the world sort of agreed — was that it’s this image I had of this kid and this adult going through landscapes,” Mills told MovieMaker.

“To me, that image is an archetypal fable-like image. It’s an ancient image. And I wanted to kind of get into that fable, myth kind of feeling.”

Mills worked with Irish cinematographer Robbie Ryan, who would go out on weekends to capture the beautiful shots of cities juxtaposed with nature that populate the movie and lend it that mythical, otherwordly aspect.

“Black and white, because it’s a crazy abstraction, we’re no longer in the real world, right? We’re kind of in an art world, you know? That would help my fable part,” Mills added.

But there was another reason he favored black and white for this particular movie.

“I also feel like it does this nice double trick thing, or this opposing forces thing, where the film feels very much like a documentary. It’s very real. It’s very simple. It’s not like any fancy art world going on. And it feels like a fable at the same time,” he said. “I feel like the black and white actually helped both those opposing forces… having opposing forces to me just makes a film stronger.”
https://www.moviemaker.com/mike-mill...and-white/amp/
Old 02-03-22, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Huh, that's an interesting take. Definitely never felt to me like this was a "fable" of any kind, so I don't really get that. In fact, it seemed incredibly realistic. But I do understand if he wanted to look/feel of a documentary; that's kind of reflected in the work that Phoenix's character did for work (interviewing children for what I assume is an NPR-like show). I'm still not convinced that b&w helped tell the tale, which is very much centered in modern day. I felt it worked better in 'Belfast', where it made a little more sense as a historical look back at certain time period. (Interestingly, both films also featured strong performances from kids.)
Old 02-04-22, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Watched this last night. While it was had wonderful performances from all the leads, I was a tad disappointed overall. Seemed a bit too pretentious to me. First, why shoot in b&w? Didn't add anything to me. The quoting from various essays and poems didn't help either. And it also feels like the movie was assembled in the editing room; was that a stylistic choice of the director, or did he just not get enough good complete takes?

2.5 stars out of 4.

(Disclaimer: I don't have any children, so maybe it didn't hit me as emotionally as it might some parents.)
I have kids and I thought it was overly pretentious. I'd give it more like a 2 out of 4. it wasn't bad but not good; just kind of there.
Old 04-09-22, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 711 Likes on 582 Posts

This premiered on Showtime this week.