Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Shang-Chi?
5 stars
12.73%
4 3/4 stars
1.82%
4 1/2 stars
21.82%
4 stars
41.82%
3 3/4 stars
3.64%
3 1/2 stars
7.27%
3 stars
3.64%
2 3/4 stars
0%
2 1/2 stars
3.64%
2 stars
1.82%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
1.82%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
Don't care. No interest
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thr

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Was hoping they'd mention K'un-Lun and that there are several other portals being guarded. I felt that dragon battle went on a bit long. But overall, I liked it. It had that old school, Shaw Bros type of story to it.

And while they mention the events of Iron Man 3, was hoping they'd go all the way back to Iron Man 1. Was Obadiah Stane working with Xu Wenwu or was it Killian.
Killian. Since he mentioned the guy that appropriated him was a white guy. Then again, it could have also have been Trevor.
Old 09-04-21, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thr

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Killian. Since he mentioned the guy that appropriated him was a white guy. Then again, it could have also have been Trevor.
I don't think they'd let Trevor make deals, he's just the face of the Killian Ten Rings. Maybe it was Norriss (Scoot Mcnairy)? It didn't really go into who Xu Wenwu put in charge around the world, but I doubt he was everywhere at the same time. Killian sort of fits the timeline and he has history with Tony.
Old 09-04-21, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Fantastic movie. Easily slides into my top 5 MCU films and probably the best post-credit scenes there have been in these movies. Great cast, good comedic bits, and I liked how Awkwafina ends up with her own hero journey at the end and wasn't just used as comic relief.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-13-21)
Old 09-04-21, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I saw this yesterday. It definitely ranks near the bottom of the MCU movies for me, along with The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther and Black Widow. There wasn't enough action or laughter for my taste, and there were too many long stretches of dry dialog or boring exposition. I thought the lead actor did a good job in the role, and I won't mind seeing his character in a future team-up movie, but overall I thought his origin film was a real snoozefest.

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 09-04-21 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-04-21, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-c...ce-1234826987/

Looks like the box office is well exceeding expectations. This made almost $30M yesterday.

They are estimating $75-85M through Monday.
Old 09-04-21, 11:18 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I’m not surprised.

I’m a bit more interested to see how it does during the second weekend for a comparison to BW.
Old 09-04-21, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

There is really no major competition week 2. Card Counter, which won’t do anything and Malignant, which is on HBO Max as well. Even if it takes a 50% drop, it should still win next week.

The box office is typically slow this time of year.
Old 09-04-21, 11:26 AM

It will give more credence to the BW suit and Disney+ Premiere being an issue in performance. Sure… Space Jam took some eyes, but not to the degree in which it was the full reason for that drop.
Old 09-04-21, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Can we get a Razor Fist/Tazer Face team up?

Last edited by majorjoe23; 09-05-21 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-05-21, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I’m not surprised.

I’m a bit more interested to see how it does during the second weekend for a comparison to BW.
It will do well simply because this is film is just better than Black Widow.... period.

I plan to see it again in IMAX and I'm definitely purchasing the Tony Leung Hot Toys figure.

Speaking of Leung, damn....it was simply amazing to finally see him in a big-budget, Hollywood film. I don't think the general audience will truly appreciate what it means, but I was ecstatic anytime he was on-screen.

After the film was over, I came away thinking.....

1. A live-action Battle-Cat would look kick-ass on the big-screen.

2. Marvel/Disney could potentially do justice to a live-action Spirited Away film.

Old 09-05-21, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

The kids and I enjoyed it. The cast was very good. I thought it was well paced. Trevor was a nice surprise!

The first time we have been in the theater since January/February of last year.

Old 09-05-21, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Saw this yesterday and for most part, I really liked it. What I liked most is that it was a Martial Arts action flick first, and then an MCU movie second, similar to how Winter Soldier was a spy thriller first and foremost as well. My only gripe is that after doing so much with the cool and well choregraphed fight scenes, they chose to once again take the CGI battle in the third act route as pretty much every other MCU entry. That really is getting tiresome. Also, it seemed to me that Awkwafina's character was shoehorned as a stand-in for the audience, which IMO was unnecessary. They could have stuck with Shang and his sister and we could have processed the story fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
tanman (09-29-21), Why So Blu? (09-05-21)
Old 09-05-21, 11:18 AM

Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings outperformed expectations at the global and international box office this weekend, coming in with $56.2M overseas for the standard frame, and a new Labor Day record $83.5M for the four-day domestic session ($71.4M three-day). Combined, and including the Labor Day estimate, the worldwide total is $139.7M. Stripping out Monday’s domestic forecast, the weekend comes in at $127.6M global.
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
DJariya (09-05-21), Mondo Kane (09-05-21), Why So Blu? (09-05-21)
Old 09-05-21, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw this yesterday and for most part, I really liked it. What I liked most is that it was a Martial Arts action flick first, and then an MCU movie second, similar to how Winter Soldier was a spy thriller first and foremost as well. My only gripe is that after doing so much with the cool and well choregraphed fight scenes, they chose to once again take the CGI battle in the third act route as pretty much every other MCU entry. That really is getting tiresome. Also, it seemed to me that Awkwafina's character was shoehorned as a stand-in for the audience, which IMO was unnecessary. They could have stuck with Shang and his sister and we could have processed the story fine.
How was Awkwafina shoehorned in? She was cast before Simu Liu. I get not everyone likes her or her style of humor, but I thought she fit in well here and the movie wouldn't have nearly been as funny without her. We didn't meet Shang-Chi's sister until the 2nd half of the movie as they had been separated for years. Having a BFF to bounce off from in the first 2 acts made perfect sense to me.
Old 09-05-21, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
How was Awkwafina shoehorned in? She was cast before Simu Liu. I get not everyone likes her or her style of humor, but I thought she fit in well here and the movie wouldn't have nearly been as funny without her. We didn't meet Shang-Chi's sister until the 2nd half of the movie as they had been separated for years. Having a BFF to bounce off from in the first 2 acts made perfect sense to me.
Not shoehorned in at all. And she was actually really good in this. Overall, I loved it. It could be my favorite Marvel film to date. At least tied with "The Winter Soldier". It had everything. Plus it was magical.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (09-05-21)
Old 09-05-21, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Just because she was cast first doesn't mean the characters wasn't itself wasn't shoehorned. In fact, it kind of proves that they wanted a recognizable face in there somewhere before making any other story decisions.
Old 09-06-21, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Going for a second time later today in IMAX this time around. Very pleased this did extremely well over the weekend.

Old 09-06-21, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Going for a second time later today in IMAX this time around. Very pleased this did extremely well over the weekend.
Yeah, I saw it for the first time in IMAX yesterday. The sound was insane. Have fun!

And, looking like a 90M weekend!

https://www.cnet.com/news/shang-chi-...O9hMqTPrn-M8gI

Last edited by Daytripper; 09-06-21 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-06-21, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

I was really pleasantly surprised with this movie, went in with zero expectations but my youngest wanted to see this so I took her and it was a lot of fun. Loved the action on the bus and the scaffolding. Not a martial arts fan per se but it was really well done in this era of so much CGI it was cool to watch more straight-up action without the effects coming into play. I would be glad to watch the sequel when it comes out. I liked Aquifina in this as well, she was not too over the top aside for maybe straining credulity in the bus scene. Ben appearing was also a fun surprise and it took me a half a second to place him until he started the monologue and then I actually LOL.

I'm shocked to say this was way better than Black Widow which I finally saw this weekend as well.
Old 09-06-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I was really pleasantly surprised with this movie, went in with zero expectations but my youngest wanted to see this so I took her and it was a lot of fun. Loved the action on the bus and the scaffolding. Not a martial arts fan per se but it was really well done in this era of so much CGI it was cool to watch more straight-up action without the effects coming into play. I would be glad to watch the sequel when it comes out. I liked Aquifina in this as well, she was not too over the top aside for maybe straining credulity in the bus scene. Ben appearing was also a fun surprise and it took me a half a second to place him until he started the monologue and then I actually LOL.

I'm shocked to say this was way better than Black Widow which I finally saw this weekend as well.
The trailers for this left me cold. I only went because of the great reviews. And so glad I did. I thought the movie was perfect.

Speaking of trailers, this one ran before my showing of "Shang-Chi". The first one that has been playing these last few months were seriously "meh". But this one grabbed my attention. Definitely has an "X-Men" vibe here and there. Can't wait to see it now!

Old 09-06-21, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from my 2nd time seeing it in IMAX. Just as good the 2nd time around. Exhilarating and beautifully filmed and the IMAX did enhance the images. IMAX auditoriums at AMC are humongous and I would say this would about 40-50% full and that's decent for an afternoon matinee on a week day.

It was interesting seeing it with a different audience after last Thursday. Got a lot of laughs and at the end, got a pretty decent applause. I only stayed for the 1st end credit scene just to see and hear reaction and they were wowed seeing Captain Marvel.
Old 09-06-21, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Speaking of trailers, this one ran before my showing of "Shang-Chi". The first one that has been playing these last few months were seriously "meh". But this one grabbed my attention. Definitely has an "X-Men" vibe here and there. Can't wait to see it now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_me3xsvDgk
Oddly enough, the Eternals TEASER was what played at my theater!

Old 09-06-21, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk God

The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
B.A. (09-08-21), IBJoel (09-13-21), tanman (09-29-21)
Old 09-07-21, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Thats awesome!

But YouTube said....
Spoiler:

Old 09-07-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Eh, was OK. Had some good fight choreography and the main actor is likeable and charismatic. But alot of the CGI was cringe and the comic relief chick annoyed the shit out of me

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.