Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Return of the Rocketeer - David Oyelowo to produce and star

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-30-21, 07:50 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Disney is reviving a cult classic favorite, The Rocketeer, with a new Disney+ movie titled The Return of the Rocketeer. David and Jessica Oyelowo are producing under their Yoruba Saxon banner. The project, written by Ed Ricourt, will also be a possible starring project for the Selma actor.

The original movie, released in 1991, was directed by Joe Johnston and adapted from Dave Stevensí graphic novel. In that film, which made close to $47 million at the domestic box office and became a fan fave for the studio, a young pilot stumbles onto a prototype jetpack that allows him to become a high-flying masked hero.

The Return of the Rocketeer will have an all-new creative directive, with Ricourtís story focusing on a retired Tuskegee airman who takes up the Rocketeer mantle.

Brigham Taylor is also producing alongside Yoruba Saxon. Mortal Media exec producing. This is the first film under Yoruba Saxonís first-look deal with Disney, which we first told you about. The Return of the Rocketeer is being developed by the Disney live-action team.
https://deadline.com/2021/08/the-roc...234824453/amp/
Old 08-30-21, 08:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: The Return of the Rocketeer - David Oyelowo to produce and star

Why not. I dig Oyelowo.
Old 08-30-21, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,195 Likes on 2,062 Posts

I know Iím in the minority but I always found The Rocketeer to be severely lacking. Billy Campbell just didnít have the Silver Screen chips to pull it off.

Iím down for another try. Iíve liked Oyelowo on other things Iíve seen him in.
Old 08-30-21, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Hey, whatever might get the original on 4k.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (09-02-21)
Old 08-31-21, 06:47 AM

For those that like Oyelowo... his first directorial effort, The Water Man, was just added to Netflix. Worth checking out.
Old 08-31-21, 10:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

^^^ It’s a very good film.
Old 08-31-21, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved the Rocketeer, such a fun movie. I'm up for a remake, but this storyline of a new lead character just doesn't do it for me. Looks like I'll pass...
Old 08-31-21, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

As long as it explains what happened to Cliff and Peevy. We assume Peevy comes up with a new jet pack from the plans, but this new film would be at least a decade later.

Last edited by devilshalo; 09-01-21 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-31-21, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Hey, whatever might get the original on 4k.
That is my thought right there!
Old 09-02-21, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
As long as it explains what happened to Cliff and Peevy. We assume Peevy comes up with a new jet pack from the plans, but this new film would be at least a decade later.
Or that someone found the plans and built a new one. Given it's called The Return of the Rocketeer, one can only hope those characters will at least be mentioned.
Old 10-12-23, 11:27 AM

“Sylvie’s Love” filmmaker Eugene Ashe has been tapped to write “The Rocketeer” reboot at Disney+, The Wrap has exclusively learned.

David Oyelowo is attached to star and produce the project. The project is part of his and his wife’s two-year first-look deal with Disney.

Released in 1991, Disney’s “The Rocketeer” is a period superhero film that starred Billy Campbell, Jennifer Connelly, Alan Arkin, Timothy Dalton and the late Paul Sorvino. The film was directed by Joe Johnston (“Captain America: The First Avenger”), with breathtaking visual effects from Johnston’s alma mater Industrial Light & Magic and an unforgettable score by the late, great James Horner, that you can still hear in the background of some Disney theme parks.

Set in 1938 Los Angeles, the original Disney film followed Cliff Secord (Campbell), a young stunt pilot who stumbles upon a prototype jetpack. Secord straps on the rocket and becomes the high-flying hero known as The Rocketeer. However, when Nazis and other villains become interested in the rocket pack, Secord must use his new powers to protect his loved ones (including his struggling actress girlfriend, played by Connelly) and save the day. While the movie was heavily hyped and strongly supported by Disney (even appearing as part of a nighttime spectacular at the recently opened Disney-MGM Studios theme park at Walt Disney World), it underperformed at the box office, failing to meet the lofty expectations of becoming the “next Batman.” But in the years since it has become something of a cult favorite.

In 2019 the character was briefly resurrected (sort of) for an animated preschool series called “The Rocketeer,” which also saw Campbell return, this time as Dave Secord, although he did voice Cliff in the first episode (appearing in old newsreel footage). It was canceled after a single season but you can watch the episodes on Disney+.

An earlier attempt at rebooting the project, this time from director J.D. Dillard, failed to take off. Dillard told TheWrap last year, “I love, love, love ‘The Rocketeer.’” But that he was no longer involved in the new film (at one point called “The Return of the Rocketeer”).

Oyelowo assures fans of 1991’s “The Rocketeer” that the sequel is in good hands.
https://www.thewrap.com/the-rocketee...e-disney-plus/
Old 10-12-23, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: The Return of the Rocketeer - David Oyelowo to produce and star

1. I was waiting to see if this was getting cut before it even started due to all the strike actions.
  2. I thought it was supposed to be a D+ series not film.