Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TÁR (2022, D: Todd Field) S: Cate Blanchett

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TÁR (2022, D: Todd Field) S: Cate Blanchett

Old 11-13-22, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: TÁR (2022, D: Todd Field) S: Cate Blanchett

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
This is probably the best thing I've seen this year. Blanchett absolutely steamrolls through this movie. I have no idea what the prospective best actress race is looking like, but I can't even begin to fathom someone else winning this year.
TAR hits VOD in two days. This Tuesday.

Glad you enjoyed it so much.
Old 11-15-22, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
Just saw this. It was good but too long and boring at parts. Friday evening showing and there was only one other person (besides my wife and I) in the theater.
Spoiler:

they should market it as having a Monster Hunter tie in.
Also, where was she at the end? the Philippines?

I'd be really curious to see how fans of that product would react to this film. I suspect that the final few seconds would elicit quite a range of reactions.
Spoiler:
The fact that Monster Hunter is the game Field chooses is interesting. Is it commentary about the 'monster hunters' who passed judgment on LT and helped to bring her down? That might be reaching, but Field seems to make very deliberate choices throughout the film, so I'd be surprised if his picking Monster Hunter was random.

I really don't know where I land in terms of what Field is trying to say by showing the cosplayers at the end. I just read a review that has some ideas about what the final reveal suggests...
Lydia has schemed her way to the top of the cultural world only to end up entertaining an anonymous, masked mass of people out to get her. The last shot lingers on this odd assortment of costumed characters, as if to offer commentary on those of us staring at the screen in the theater.

The joke is literally on us. Which is perhaps the film’s best bit of manipulation. Lydia Tár is a monster. But those of us watching her aren’t any better and we shouldn’t be left off the hook.
I don't know if I agree with this reading, but it seems to have at least some merit given everything leading up to that ending.

As for the location, a couple of Reddit users say that it is the Philippines as you suspect. I have no idea how much I can believe those people, but they claim they recognized parts of Manila.
Old 11-15-22, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 260 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott View Post
I'd be really curious to see how fans of that product would react to this film. I suspect that the final few seconds would elicit quite a range of reactions.
Spoiler:
The joke is literally on us. Which is perhaps the film’s best bit of manipulation. Lydia Tár is a monster. But those of us watching her aren’t any better and we shouldn’t be left off the hook.

"Shouldn't be let off the hook" for what? Watching a movie about a fictional character? That interpretation starts off well, and is in line with how I took the ending, but that final bit about implicating the audience is beyond eyerolling.
Old 11-15-22, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
"Shouldn't be let off the hook" for what? Watching a movie about a fictional character? That interpretation starts off well, and is in line with how I took the ending, but that final bit about implicating the audience is beyond eyerolling.
The entire article is here:

https://www.columbiatribune.com/stor...r/69606367007/

...although I believe the final part is fairly self-contained. (I could be wrong...I'd need to re-read the review.) Just off the top of my head, I think the reviewer is suggesting a 'let he who has not sinned cast the first stone' lesson with that comment at the end.

I could be totally off base, though. Ironically, it's sometimes pretty hard to pin down that thing Tár is always going on about: the author's intent.
Old 12-15-22, 07:26 AM

Surprised at how few people have seen this. I’m guessing Cate has Best Actress locked up.
Old 12-15-22, 07:36 AM

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
Surprised at how few people have seen this.
How few from this forum? I'm not.
Old 12-15-22, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 635 Likes on 447 Posts

I was going to make a joke about how people here are too busy arguing about proton packs and the future of the DC universe to go see this movie, but then I remembered Tar has made $5 million. No one anywhere has seen this movie.
Old 12-15-22, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved the movie. I saw a trailer for it a couple time in the months before it came out, and it did not inspire any interest in the film. It made it look like one of those quiet, borderline TV show movies like She Said that most people want to watch at home.
Old 12-18-22, 09:27 AM

I love arthouse films, but I was initially underwhelmed by the announcement of this film and its subject matter. But reviews were great.

It took me 3 sittings across two days to get through this absolute bore of a shitshow.

Loooooong conversations that don’t have much to do with anything. Characters who are either boring, unlikable or BOTH.

And one of the most overrated lead performances I have ever seen. Oooooh she’s so subtle with her boring as fuck character.

Basically thought this was a piece of trash, start to finish. Don’t let people fool you into believing the final hour is better than the first 90 boring minutes.

Really disappointed that after 2 great films, Todd Field takes 16 years to produce this pretentious piece of shit.

/rant over
Old 12-18-22, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,730 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
Surprised at how few people have seen this. I’m guessing Cate has Best Actress locked up.
I’m not. There is a lot of sentiment for Michelle Yeoh, whose film is very popular. And Cate already has two Oscars. It’s a two woman race at this point but there’s a lot of time left.
Old 01-15-23, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

As to the location of the final shots:
Spoiler:
Definitely the Philippines. Its actually mentioned at one point (maybe in the background dialogue?).

Old 01-17-23, 10:44 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 437 Likes on 267 Posts

This was the best movie I saw all year. Blanchett was amazing. I was mesmerized by the technical discussions about classical music and conducting, I didn't find it boring at all. I found it to be a poignant examination of a brilliant but self-destructive artist.
Old 01-21-23, 04:00 PM

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Will be on Peacock starting next Friday.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (01-21-23)
Old 01-21-23, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 686 Likes on 561 Posts

I thought it was great, though tough to watch as it developed. I know enough about classical music to recognize the names they were talking about, so I ate up all those long conversations. I also thought Blanchett was a believable conductor after seeing many really bad attempts in media (cough Mozart in the Jungle).
Old 01-21-23, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 504 Likes on 351 Posts

Solid film... one of the best of the year.
It could have used a little bit of trimming.. maybe 15-20 minutes.

I think it's one of those films that takes multiple viewings to appreciate it more.

Old 01-24-23, 03:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Some of those early long takes were amazing. Cate Blanchett is terrific. I don't know much about Mahler's 5th or classical music but I enjoyed the Glenn Gould joke. I'm old enough to have seen Bernstein on my parents black and white TV so I enjoyed that. I had a dream the other night about marrying a woman with a precocious 10 year old daughter so that seemed weird. I'd vote Cate Blanchett for nest actress although Michelle Yeoh is probably the favorite because of the anti-Asian hate going down. And
Everything Everywhere All At Once also being a great movie.
Old 01-24-23, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,730 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Will be on Peacock starting next Friday.
Nice! I was waiting for first sale to buy it off Vudu but now don't have to.
Old 01-24-23, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I'll have to check this out when it hits Peacock. This movie wasn't on my radar at all. I tend to not see very many smaller films like this theatrically, but with Blachett getting the best actress nomination, I feel like I should now.
Old 01-27-23, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 297 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I'll have to check this out when it hits Peacock. This movie wasn't on my radar at all. I tend to not see very many smaller films like this theatrically, but with Blachett getting the best actress nomination, I feel like I should now.
Regal Cinemas are screening this film (in addition to 9 other Best Picture Nominees) starting tomorrow (1/26/23).

Times are limited and vary by theater but have shown up in the Regal App.

https://collider.com/oscars-best-pic...regal-cinemas/
Old 01-27-23, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
This is the kind of movie that benefits from the theatrical experience. And interestingly, the movie doesn't feel small in my memory. So many different locations, and the photography is wide so every auditorium and dingy apartment looks massive.
Old 01-30-23, 04:55 PM

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I watched it yesterday all the way through and, no joking, the movie completely lost me. If I have to go online to try to figure out what I watched, well, I still don’t understand it. I loved Everything Everywhere All At Once, and was never lost….
Old 01-30-23, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 190 Posts

Can I say a performance is great but the movie is just so-so? The most impressive scene is the one in the classroom where there are no cuts...I can't imagine being in that scene with Cate and stressed about making a mistake so she would have to start all over again.
Old 01-30-23, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with the great performance, so so movie assessment.
Old 01-30-23, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 635 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Can I say a performance is great but the movie is just so-so?
You can, but this isn't the Elvis thread.